Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SouthEastern this Morning

Comments

• Options
    Total mayhem at Cannon St tonight. Apparently a train that arrives a minute after it was due to depart is 'On Time'. Cockwombles!
  • Options
    Mad today, usually 7:55 at petts wood was rammed, nightmare at London bridge in the evening too
  • Options
    Oh dear. Seems they've massively underestimated the carnage these works will cause.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Oh dear. Seems they've massively underestimated the carnage these works will cause.

I don't think they have at all. They are just not prepared to pay for the resource necessary to provide a fit and proper service.
  • Options

cabbles said:

I don't think they have at all. They are just not prepared to pay for the resource necessary to provide a fit and proper service.
    Surely that's still cocking it up though? If they know/knew the bottlenecks/stress etc then they should've paid for it. Then again why would they, they probably thought let's run at skeleton service, see if we can get away with it
  • Options

My sidcup to charing cross train this morning was bliss!
    On using existing tickets on bus/tube there have been announcements advising those with tickets issued before a specfic date that they need to be changed over at ticket office. Dont know full details but should be some info on the thameslink webpage.

What time and how empty was it?
    7.49, used to be the 7.51 which started at Sidcup but they're running it from Crayford I think. Stacks of seats and less crowded at Hither Green than usual. Also seats were available on the 7.45 fast from New Eltham so I was told. Could just be 'day one fluke' of course ...
    Cheers, be good to know if that continues as I'll leave an hour later!
  • Options

My sidcup to charing cross train this morning was bliss!
    On using existing tickets on bus/tube there have been announcements advising those with tickets issued before a specfic date that they need to be changed over at ticket office. Dont know full details but should be some info on the thameslink webpage.

What time and how empty was it?
    7.49, used to be the 7.51 which started at Sidcup but they're running it from Crayford I think. Stacks of seats and less crowded at Hither Green than usual. Also seats were available on the 7.45 fast from New Eltham so I was told. Could just be 'day one fluke' of course ...
    Cheers, be good to know if that continues as I'll leave an hour later!
    7.49 was much busier this morning but still plenty of seats when it arrived at Sidcup and was already delayed by 5 mins.

• Options
    Missus caught the 08.19 from Sidcup this morning. Only four carriages long. Between Hither Green and Lewisham, it was announced that it was not stoping at Lewisham.

Why do we put up with these muppets running the railway?
  • Options
    is it just me or have they turned the volume right down on the trains since the start of all these LDN Bridge works?

my train took an absolute age on the approach to LDN Bridge this morning and whilst the driver was saying something, you couldn't hear him.
  • Options

is it just me or have they turned the volume right down on the trains since the start of all these LDN Bridge works?

my train took an absolute age on the approach to LDN Bridge this morning and whilst the driver was saying something, you couldn't hear him.

Don't think it's a new thing mate. I've had plenty of occasions where the driver sounds like he's whispering through a sock (probably because he's too embarrassed to broadcast the latest excuse at a proper volume). The recorded messages are useless as well - lost count of the number of times the train's been pulling into Charing Cross and the recorded voice chirps up with "The next station is New Eltham". Must be hell for tourists trying to get around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any sensible project manager would have replaced the Charing Cross and Cannon Street signalling before the London Bridge bit started.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Any sensible project manager would have replaced the Charing Cross and Cannon Street signalling before the London Bridge bit started.

[ ] Sensible Management
    [ ] Public Sector

Tick one
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

I can understand why this forum wasn't consulted before they started.
  • Options

Crusty54 said:

I can understand why this forum wasn't consulted before they started.
    Perhaps the Trust can call for a public meeting
  • Options
    there have been problems on the Sidcup line with a broken down train.

the mrs had to take the kids down to Dartford to come back up
  • Options

LOL. The irony about all this is it will be of no benefit to any of us using Network Southeast, as it's a Thameslink project, designed to get Thameslink trains through Borough Market Junction quicker.

We do, however get a new London Bridge station if that floats your boat :-)
    Choo choo!

• Options
    The problem for Southeastern trains is that there is only a very limited number of lines beyond London Bridge to Cannon St & Charing Cross. Nothing much they can do to alleviate the problems, just make the signalling more efficient. Sadly, this means you're stuck with rising fares knowing that they will be able to make f**k all in the way of improvements to your journey.

In fact, I wonder if that could form the basis of a legal challenge to fare rises in specific areas of special difficulty in making timetable improvements? Because those poor sods are, in fact, subsidising profits to an even greater degree than somewhere improvements might actually be a realistic (if unlikely) goal.
  • Options
    Southern having an absolute shocker today.....what's it like on South Eastern? They're blaming signalling problems, which fall on Network Rail. Presumably there may be a bit of fall out on South Eastern routes as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's it like at Charlton station? Anyone know?
  • Options
    Aaaaah. Southern. Every day when I sit on these draughty, stinking shit heaps they call 'trains' up North I think to myself - 'could be worse. I could be at East Croydon'
  • Options

LOL. The irony about all this is it will be of no benefit to any of us using Network Southeast, as it's a Thameslink project, designed to get Thameslink trains through Borough Market Junction quicker.

We do, however get a new London Bridge station if that floats your boat :-)
    Choo choo!

That's not strictly true. Once the building works are done it should make a difference to all through trains because they are putting extra lines in to alleviate the bottleneck that's been there for decades.

Of course it's long overdue and is gonna take years to finish, but at least they're finally doing something about it.

• Options
    centurion said:

What's it like at Charlton station? Anyone know?

Not much in the way of facilities, but you can often bunk your fare cos no barriers. Also, it's quite close to a level crossing

HTH
  • Options

The problem for Southeastern trains is that there is only a very limited number of lines beyond London Bridge to Cannon St & Charing Cross. Nothing much they can do to alleviate the problems, just make the signalling more efficient.

Nothing they can do apart from put the extra lines in they're building now you mean?
    ;-)

Will let you off Leroy as I don't suppose you've travelled through that particular building site lately. I'm no engineer (or trainspotter) but it looks mighty impressive as I go past it everyday on the chuff into work.
  • Options
    Are they actually putting more lines into Cannon St and Charing Cross then? I didn't know that. Fucking hell - I've been travelling through that shit hole for the best part of 25 years daily and three months after I sod off Up North, they start expanding Charing Cross! Bastards!
  • Options

Are they actually putting more lines into Cannon St and Charing Cross then? I didn't know that. Fucking hell - I've been travelling through that shit hole for the best part of 25 years daily and three months after I sod off Up North, they start expanding Charing Cross! Bastards!

Yep, well, into charing Cross anyway. The new bridges etc are already there - one goes directly over the top of the wheatsheaf in borough market, but they need to reconfigure the station before they can lay the track etc.

Just going past it now!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    As far as I understand no extra platforms at LCX or LCS mate. The pinch point has always been LB which this massive rebuilding project will alleviate considerably. I know we slag the feckers off, and rightly so but the fact that they are keeping open and "working" a major London commuter hub and completely rebuilding it at the same time is quite a feat IMHO.

BTW, if you have time, a trawl through the earlier postings in the below thread might give you an idea of what they are attempting.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=320395&page=33
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Yep, well, into charing Cross anyway. The new bridges etc are already there - one goes directly over the top of the wheatsheaf in borough market, but they need to reconfigure the station before they can lay the track etc.

Just going past it now!
    So where exactly are these lines going? The 2 lines over the Wheatsheaf will link with platform 8 which I would suggest are for Thameslink. They still then have to cross the Network Southeastern lines.