Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SouthEastern this Morning

Comments

• Options

Curb_It said:

Passenger Ill on a train at Charlton and they had to wait for an ambulance. That line is now screwed but we can't blame them for that one.

But we can blame them for cancelling the Charing Cross train before it, making it twice as packed!
    The passenger taken ill is probably some silly Doris who's managed to overheat in her hat, scarf, gloves and overcoat on a massively overcrowded, heated train.
  • Options

signal problems at ldn bridge, delays of up to 30mins expected till at least 10am

if using southern or thameslink trains, make that 45mins till at least 12 o'clock
  • Options
    Think it's time that trains were forced to adhere to the capacities as recommended by the manufacturers. At the moment both buses and train carriages are given a maximum capacity by the manufacturer but only buses are forced to adhere to it. In best case scenario it leads to passenger discomfort, exarcabates health problems of those who have them and denies access to those who require additional room (wheelchair users for example), worst case it can lead to serious injury or health complications (I have personally witnessed an event when a group of 20 people crushed at the end of a carriage collapsed in a bundle when the train braked suddenly, where people were or could have been seriously hurt or even left in a position where they were unable to breath).

The sight of platform staff shoving people into overcrowded trains is a common sight north of the Watford Gap. If they cannot provide a service to those who already have a ticket and cannot board a suitable service due to lack of capacity, the train company should pay for alternative means such as bus, coach or taxi/minibus. They should also have a legal duty to predict capacity issues in advance (for example, FA Cup Final or other big events) and either put on extra trains or hire coaches in advance.
  • Options
    Just in case they didn't ruin your journey in this morning, they're going to have a crack at making sure you get home late as well.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/89253.aspx
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Think it's time that trains were forced to adhere to the capacities as recommended by the manufacturers.

Whilst in theory I agree with this, in practice, the only thing that would happen is that I wouldn't be able to get to work! Our trains are at capacity long before they even get to the outskirts of London. Anyone living further into London would never, ever get on a rush hour train.

• Options
    I'm no longer using SE but feel I've contributed enough to still be part of the group.

I work on Northumberland Avenue and used to get a direct Charing X service from Westcombe Park. Now I'm in Forest Hill and ideally would get a southern into London bridge, cross over and get a Charing X service the rest of the way.

That ticket cost me £24.70 a week (prob £26 now). I can't imagine much difference between that and a weekly from F Hill into the London overground terminals.

But because I can't access a Charing X service from L Bdg, I'm now having to use the jubilee line to finish the last part of my journey. Now I have to get a weekly zone 1-3 travel card costing £37.30.

How many more people have they squeezed a bit more out of for the whole of 2015. Gits
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Fiiish said:

Think it's time that trains were forced to adhere to the capacities as recommended by the manufacturers.

Whilst in theory I agree with this, in practice, the only thing that would happen is that I wouldn't be able to get to work! Our trains are at capacity long before they even get to the outskirts of London. Anyone living further into London would never, ever get on a rush hour train.

That's why I included a caveat that the train operator should be forced to pay for alternative transport for those who cannot board a train due to capacity reasons.

The fact is train companies have a good wheeze going - rolling stock has remained static and obsolete, smaller, slower trains have remained in service instead of being upgraded whilst passenger numbers and fares have been skyrocketing. The Government ought to give the operators a kick up the arse and force them to purchase new rolling stock from British manufacturers on a regular basis.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I'm no longer using SE but feel I've contributed enough to still be part of the group.

I work on Northumberland Avenue and used to get a direct Charing X service from Westcombe Park. Now I'm in Forest Hill and ideally would get a southern into London bridge, cross over and get a Charing X service the rest of the way.

That ticket cost me £24.70 a week (prob £26 now). I can't imagine much difference between that and a weekly from F Hill into the London overground terminals.

But because I can't access a Charing X service from L Bdg, I'm now having to use the jubilee line to finish the last part of my journey. Now I have to get a weekly zone 1-3 travel card costing £37.30.

How many more people have they squeezed a bit more out of for the whole of 2015. Gits

I may be wrong as I skim read a leaflet left on the train seats this morning, but I thought one could use their normal train ticket on certain bus and underground routes to get to and from Charing Cross. Worth checking I'd say before you shell out.
  • Options

cabbles said:

I may be wrong as I skim read a leaflet left on the train seats this morning, but I thought one could use their normal train ticket on certain bus and underground routes to get to and from Charing Cross. Worth checking I'd say before you shell out.
    Think you're right. Limited number of tube stations and bus routes you're allowed to use with your rail ticket.

Don't let the thieving tossers take any extra off you @cabbles‌
  • Options

cabbles said:

Thanks. I'll ask 2mo. That's def something they are hoping people don't realise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is this what it's going to be like until August 2016? Sidcup line was savage this morning, no one could barge there way on from Mottingham onwards, someone on my train was sick it was so crowded.
  • Options
    was that a cannon st one? if so what time?
  • Options

cabbles said:

@Plumstead_Micky do you know where I can access such info or who to ask? I asked the guy behind the counter explaining that I now pay more because I have to use the tube to complete the last part of my journey, and he didn't get it

Thanks
  • Options
    This morning the Cannon was rammo from Mottingham but there was considerably more room on the Charing.
    Think that's the way it will go for most of the week. Might see things even out a bit once folk figure out the alternative routes for their own journeys.
  • Options
    0805 Sidcup to Charing Cross I think it was. Exhausted before I get to work.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

@Plumstead_Micky do you know where I can access such info or who to ask? I asked the guy behind the counter explaining that I now pay more because I have to use the tube to complete the last part of my journey, and he didn't get it

Thanks
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

if you look under the engineering work section for ldn bridge it says about using underground and busses
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Thanks
    @cabbles - the info is here mate, from the South Eastern website but covers Southern passengers as well - http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/thameslink/january2015/january-tickets/

Having read that guidance myself, I got the train from St Johns to Cannon Street this morning and then went to get on the 15 bus with my train ticket, as it says I can on the South Eastern website. Did the bus driver know anything about it? Of course not. So be prepared to allow an extra 5 minutes everyday for arguing with TfL staff who haven't been told about the new arrangements.
  • Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Thanks
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

if you look under the engineering work section for ldn bridge it says about using underground and busses
    good stuff - many thanks
  • Options

was that a cannon st one? if so what time?

Unlikely to be a Charing X one if the Bexleyheath line is anything to go by. The 7.44 and 7.54 to Charing Cross both came in less than half full, and the Victoria train is probably less than a quarter full. I'll let you guess what fraction of capacity the Cannon St train was...

• Options
    Print it off & keep it with you, to prove you're correct.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This may seem like a dumb question, but are they making the Cannon Street trains longer (taking the rolling stock for the less crowded trains (i.e. the Charing Cross trains)) as they are the only trains that stop at London Bridge?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Thanks
    @cabbles - the info is here mate, from the South Eastern website but covers Southern passengers as well - http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/thameslink/january2015/january-tickets/

Having read that guidance myself, I got the train from St Johns to Cannon Street this morning and then went to get on the 15 bus with my train ticket, as it says I can on the South Eastern website. Did the bus driver know anything about it? Of course not. So be prepared to allow an extra 5 minutes everyday for arguing with TfL staff who haven't been told about the new arrangements.
    I plan to use the jubilee at ldn bridge, get off at Southwark and then do the last bit by train from waterloo east. I anticipate an extra 15 mins with all that faffing now so who knows.

My current route is change at london bridge and get the jubilee to westminster, 10 min walk back. be great if I can keep doing that, as Westminster is hardly miles away from charing X, but I bet they won't let me

Sounds like it is bad now on the SE trains
  • Options
    nichorob said:

0805 Sidcup to Charing Cross I think it was. Exhausted before I get to work.

The 7.02 from New Eltham to Cannon street was packed, as was the 7.07 to Charing Cross.

6.47 for me tomorrow methinks.

I also can't see how Oyster are going to not charge money to people not doing their usual route on the tube/bus?

• Options
    also, if you have a travel card you can take it to your ticket office and get it changed to be accepted on the underground rather than having to show it at the gate.
  • Options
    Is this part of the reason why I've seen hi-vis wearing platform staff on display at New Cross and Lewisham station since the New Year? 1 on each platform at New Cross and at least 2 per platform at Lewisham. They dont really do anything, just sort of stand there with their hands in their pockets.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Is this part of the reason why I've seen hi-vis wearing platform staff on display at New Cross and Lewisham station since the New Year? 1 on each platform at New Cross and at least 2 per platform at Lewisham. They dont really do anything, just sort of stand there with their hands in their pockets.

I've seen them at Lewisham as well John. One politely asked me to stand behind the yellow line, but apart from that they don't do much.

I think they are anticipating busier platforms now though due to the reduced service into LB.
  • Options

also, if you have a travel card you can take it to your ticket office and get it changed to be accepted on the underground rather than having to show it at the gate.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Out of interest, on my standard Sidcup - London ST (non-travelcard), does this mean i can now use it to get the tube from Waterloo to Bank ?
  • Options

Out of interest, on my standard Sidcup - London ST (non-travelcard), does this mean i can now use it to get the tube from Waterloo to Bank ?

yes it does