Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Derby post match views 2014/15

Comments

• Options
    Posting without stopping smiling.

What a great game of football to see Charlton win.

And did we even have a corner?

The vino beckons

Up the Addicks
  • Options
    When was the last time we didnt get a single corner in a game?
  • Options
    Trying desperately not to get carried away. All I'm prepared to say at this stage is we appear to have a VERY good team this season
  • Options
    If that's how Gomez plays on his league debut, Solly better watch out...............
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyed that! My first visit to The Valley in ages and it just feels more positive. Was really impressed with Gud. What a brilliant first touch. He's a genuine talent. Buyens was good and our centre backs are a real force. If they can stay fit, we've got a shot at the play offs.
    Derby looked a very good side who have played together for a while. Lovely movement. They'll be up there.
    Pope had a moment to forget and I just hope he's a confident lad.
    Should be an exciting season.
  • Options
    One word - buzzing. Will elaborate more when I have calmed down.
  • Options

Cracking stuff - that was the best football we've played for more than two years. We started brightly, as we had against Wigan, and kept the momentum going for much of the game - Pope's impersonation of Charlie Wright aside.

Many qualities to admire: we dug ourselves out of defensive positions without lumping it, advanced quickly through midfield, passed forward accurately and were sharp in attack. Tucadean's goal was well worked from defensive midfield, and his mazy run for the penalty a sight to behold. Even Wilson's flick from Jackson's cross to set up the third goal wouldn't have come off last season. Derby are a strong and skilful side, and played very well too.

A thoroughly enjoyable game from start to finish - exhilarating stuff.

Sensible posting hat on tonight, Dr Jekyll. Welcome back !

What a fantastic night ! Great atmosphere ( Cardiff like) , great performance on the pitch and a crestfallen Brolly Man .

What's not to like !

Onwards & upwards to Huddersfield !!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    one question though.....what's all this winning malarkey about?!?!?
  • Options

According to the Beeb, Derby had 63% possession. Seems rather skewed to me. We won though so who cares?

Another strong result, such a shame we couldn't hang onto the two goal lead and stay top - now I have to revert to saying that league tables are meaningless at this time of the season.

Possession is soooooo last year!
  • Options
    First game i have seen this year. Derby are a good team and will do well this year. Hughes and Ward particularly look like very good players (not sure why they took Hughes off).

We looked so good from periods of the game, but when we invited Derby to attack us in the second half i was very nervous of making same mistakes as last year. But so pleased we won and think we deserved to win. Vetokele, Gudmundsson and Buyens look like quality signings. That with Cousins and the prospect of Gomez are very encouraging. Pleased Tucudean got a goal. Pope's mistake was simply that a mistake and one he will learn from it. I have a horrible feeling they might try and get a keeper in on loan if Henderson isn't fit for the weekend which will be a real shame as he needs to be able to bounce back. I hope he is given another go.
  • Options
    A terrific performance against the bookies' favourites - the new signings are very impressive to a man (even Tucudean, tonight at least). The playing style is so refreshing and yet there is still so much room for improvement which bodes well.

JBG is Premiership quality - outstanding first touch - I wonder if he wouldn't be happier on the left throughout?

Very impressed too with Buyens who means we don't miss Poyet too much - broke up play really well and penalty showed his confidence.

I like the centre back pair who both look like natural leaders.

Moussa made a big difference second half and helped us retain the ball - Vetokele was quiet in the first half but a livewire in the second and might have had a hattrick.

Such a shame about Pope - he looked edgy throughout although the defence gave him more back passes than he really needed. We need to sign an experienced loan keeper if Henderson is out for a while, even as back-up to Pope.

We should all be as optimistic as at any time post-2007.
  • Options
    What a fabulous win against such a good Derby team who will surely finish in the top three. They had periods on top but we dug in so well with everyone busting a gut for the cause, meaning they only really managed shots from the edge of the box (a recurring theme).

But this wasn't a case of just digging in - we played some great stuff too, especially early on. We had real quality all over the pitch; The two CB's, Gomez, Buyens, Gudmundsson, and pleasingly Tucudean. There really is a huge difference to last year. We still have a great work ethic, but there's so much skill now to go with it. Glad Pope's clanger wasn't too costly; he didn't appear nervy but that could've shattered him. Igor actually had a quietish first half but came alive later and has that lovely ability to create out of nothing with his pace, skill, and indstry.

Great atmosphere at times as the crowd collectively buy into what's happening in front of us; too early to predict finishing positions etc. but it looks as though we'll see some cracking football from this lot.
  • Options
    Any links to goals please
  • Options
    Not that it matters but was Wilson's flick to Iggy intentional for the third goal? Or was he shooting?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    JaShea99 said:

Not that it matters but was Wilson's flick to Iggy intentional for the third goal? Or was he shooting?

It was a glancing header/flick from memory. Looked like he was helping it on rather than going for goal. Great whipped cross by JJ.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Salad; quick work!
  • Options

Cracking stuff - that was the best football we've played for more than two years. We started brightly, as we had against Wigan, and kept the momentum going for much of the game - Pope's impersonation of Charlie Wright aside.

Many qualities to admire: we dug ourselves out of defensive positions without lumping it, advanced quickly through midfield, passed forward accurately and were sharp in attack. Tucadean's goal was well worked from defensive midfield, and his mazy run for the penalty a sight to behold. Even Wilson's flick from Jackson's cross to set up the third goal wouldn't have come off last season. Derby are a strong and skilful side, and played very well too.

A thoroughly enjoyable game from start to finish - exhilarating stuff.

Sensible posting hat on tonight, Dr Jekyll. Welcome back !

What a fantastic night ! Great atmosphere ( Cardiff like) , great performance on the pitch and a crestfallen Brolly Man .

What's not to like !

Onwards & upwards to Huddersfield !!!

Wait until tomorrow
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

I was watching closely from the Covered End - definitely an intentional flick on to Vetokele.

Igor, Igor, Igor!

• Options
    Dare I say it, and for some the jury may still be out on RD's master plan for and 'the network', but I think we are putting the foundations down and on the cusp of 'getting our Charlton back'

I was completely shocked watching the style and manner of our play in the opening 5 minutes. The pitch, the movement, the pace. No disrespect to those that plied their trade in difficult circumstances last season, but we look a completely different team. Derby are a good side and you could see them settle well after we scored. They might have had 63% odd possession, but we look dangerous going forward and composed on the ball. I'm going to give props to JJ tonight. I'm often quick to criticise him as I think the team has been built to accommodate him over the last few seasons. However tonight, he's amongst better players and it's helping. That ball in for the 3rd goal was top class. I must admit when he lined up for the free kick in the 2nd half, I don't think he's scored one since Sheff Utd at home in the League 1 championship season, so he made a massive contribution with the assist. Tucudean took his first goal and made the second superbly. I was pleased because of what I have read on here, some people have questioned how effective he has been thus far. Finally Bikey. Immense. Stood up to Martin, who is one of the top forwards in the division. He and TBH were so solid and composed. I fear for Morro's chances breaking down that partnership. It's very early, but we would've got rolled over tonight had we had a similar team to last season. God knows what we are capable of and where we might finish, but if we are top 6 candidates, then we had to hold onto that lead tonight. We did that and I think a few people might start to sit up and take note of us this season.

The other thing I was pleased with was the fact we look threatening going forward. At times last season our play was so slow and predictable. We've pretty much eliminated any high balls over the top based on tonight's showing. 6 goals in 3 league games against a newly promoted team away first game, and 2 serious promotion contenders is a great return. It felt like we had to wait until October last year for 6 goals:(

As other people have mentioned, we may be a couple of players away from being a real force this season. I'm interested to see what we do between now and the end of August, because a couple of injuries to some key players and I don't think we have the depth (ie, do we really want to see Church play regularly).

I am confident though, that we won't be securing safety in late April/early May.

Great night
  • Options
    I had 3-2 at 25-1 so might have to send some money to Popey as a Thank you
  • Options
    For the first time in years ( or maybe ever) i can see a Charlton team there that is playing a certain way , the passing way , and are sticking to it.
    Tonight was my first game of the season and i couldn't believe it when Derby never touched the ball in the first two minutes.
    We did defend too deeply at times and Pope was the weak link but apart from that i was extremely impressed.
  • Options
    I'm one of the few who believe we didn't play very well against Wigan, today was an entirely different story. Vetokele was outstanding, running all day long and Gudmunsson looks like he is quite the player. Pope, despite the error, still managed to deal with crosses fairly well and I hope he gets a chance to make up for his mistake against Huddersfield. If I have to be a bit negative (which I do :P) I thought we looked a little bit nervy defensively at times. Overall, that has to be our best football we have played in years, very pleased. :)