Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Derby post match views 2014/15

Comments

• Options
    Good to see Jackson grow into the game. The outstanding way we played the first 20 minutes seemed to pass him by at times but he really came good with his tackles and delivery for the third.
  • Options
    Last season we were beat by the same Derby side at the Valley 2-0, their keeper had barely a save to make and the knuckle dragging centre backs looked ball playing genius's with the amount of time they could spray the ball. Today we panicked them with pace and pressing and hit them hard.

We looked good, it all worked well for Bob.

Even when Cousins clearly looked out the game in the second half, he brought on Wilson who assisted the 3rd with the flick.

Delighted for George, he played a massive part in this win, the way he won the penalty was brilliant.

Gomez was superb, what a debut for a centre back playing right back. Infact it was a brilliant team performance full stop.

Gutted for Pope's moment, but that is what goalkeeping is, you learn from mistakes to become better. Even after the mistake, the defenders all tried to lift him and the claim at the end showed his character.

We have match winners in this team, players who can worry and hurt the opposition with pace and skill.

I still think we are gelling which makes it even more exciting to think we could still get better.

• Options
    Some quality passing tonight, really impressed with Buyens, I know he's a network player, but to have him playing for us in the 2nd Division is a massive bonus, as he oozes quality. Tucudean was a real handful tonight, we missed him when he went off, as Moussa is a bit to similar too Ventekole, neither being able to hold the ball up so well.

Gomez had an excellent debut (apart from a silly booking) but is no Chris Solly yet. With Solly's knees, I guess the club will have to prioritise which games he's needed for.
  • Options

limeygent said:

"Only one team in it" - Steve McLaren.

Well I think that is a very gentlemanly and gracious thing to say. Thank-you Steve. Bit hard on your players though.
    Wouldn't expect anything less from Brolly Man.

• Options
    @AFKABartram‌ I bet louie the lion was loving that win!
  • Options
    First goal tonight was one of the best I've seen for quite sometime. Beautiful passing.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

"Only one team in it" - Steve McLaren. Don't think anyone has told him the final score yet.

He has always struck me as a blinkered bitter twat and tonight only serves to support that. Can't stand the man.
  • Options
    Great game to watch. I'm really impressed and excited that we have just taken 6 points from two sides who finished in the play offs last season.

Derby are a very good side but we matched them, yes they had pressure but so did we and when we attacked we looked the more likely to score. Our first goal was brilliant from JBG and the finish just as good from George, who then won us the penalty through his good work. Proved tonight he can be an asset at this level.

JJ was mm much improved tonight and didn't look out of place, Buyens carried on from Saturday and was excellent again. My MotM would be Ben Haim, thought he was excellent tonight.
  • Options
    last_line said:

limeygent said:

"Only one team in it" - Steve McLaren. Don't think anyone has told him the final score yet.

He has always struck me as a blinkered bitter twat and tonight only serves to support that. Can't stand the man.
    His opinions are as much a joke as that horrific hairstyle he thinks he can pull of. A complete wally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved it loved it loved it.

That match on another night, might've gone the other way but I'm beginning to think we might have the happy knack of scoring our goals at the right time in matches and tonight was a perfect example with an early goal to match our early spell of dominance and the penalty against the run of play to get the wind back into our sails. Capped off wonderfully with the third goal to all but kill off the game just as Derby threw on 2 more strikers to go for an equaliser.

Very impressed with our summer acquisitions based on that showing. We are exciting to watch again!!!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

No disrespect to those that plied their trade in difficult circumstances last season, but we look a completely different team.

Probably cos apart from Wiggins, Jackson & Cousins, it was a completely different team...............................
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited August 2014
    Derby hadn't conceded before tonight.

Fetch the Cigars Bobby.
  • Options
    Our promotion odds are now down to 14-1 (from 20:1 before Wigan) and you can get 50-1 on Vetokele top championship scorer as opposed to 150-1 last week so the bookies are fast waking up.
    We won't beat top six sides every week with that little possession but you know what? We don't have to play top six all the time - let's see what this lot can do vs Huddersfield and Brighton!
    As for tonight it was just more of the same for me, a continuation from Saturday with crisp passing and a chance on goal every seven to eight minutes.
    We need more bodies in the squad so that our 18 man squad has no weaknesses as injuries and suspension kick in...tonight the players coming off the bench again helped us to finish well.
    Incidentally I really feel for Morrison as his chances are looking more limited now
  • Options
    Can't believe what I saw today.

Was my first game of the season but wow what a difference a few months make. Credit to RD on the pitch too, there's no way we could've played such beautiful passing football on the pitch last season, even a team like Barca would've struggled.

Just started writing about my top players but realised my contenders for MOTM were over half the team. Bikey, Ben Haim, Gudmundsson, Gomez, Buyens, Jackson and Vetokele.

Great team performance today. Gudmundsson/Buyens are PL quality. Amazing how good footballers the centrebacks are, both can dribble and pick out a great pass.

Delighted for JJ too. He shut up a lot of critics today, me included. I didn't think he could play with just Buyens in the centre, thought something had to change, but he just put in a fantastic performance against the best midfield and passing side we're going to face all season.

Johnnie is a true Charlton legend.
  • Options
    Sadly I couldn't go tonight.

What pleases me is that Big Bob resisted the calls to replace Jacko and George.

I saw enough of George's skills on Saturday to believe that he will come good.

As for Jacko, he is the teams talisman and gives nothing but 100% every game - despite being ill on Saturday.

Big Bob deciding to play Gomez at RB ensured that Wilson with his energy could be brought on for impact. I think this shows great nous.

• Options
    Shows how much we've moved on in 8 months...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sQFQjeu7mA
  • Options
    What a marvellous evening's entertainment !

There won't be many higher quality games in the entire Championship this season and we were deserved winners against a very good side. I haven't seen a Charlton team pass the ball with that intent and composure for a long time, which is a real testament to the work of Bob Peeters, Damian Matthew and Patrick Van Houdt. They do, of course, have some very high quality material to work with but tonight's offering was really quite something only 11 days into the season.

Derby hardly got a touch in the first 20 minutes but, to their credit, came back strongly and we were a little fortunate to be in front at half time, thanks to Tucadean's mazy run. In the second half, however, we pressed further up the field and Jacko was far more effective tucked in behind the front two, pushing Derby into going longer. A very smart move by Bob on the tactical front. Our fluidity and movement was very good and we repeatedly and calmly played our way out of trouble from the back, with Igor looking dangerous up front.

Overall, a very fine team performance. It's almost invidious to single out individuals, although Buyens, Ben Haim, Gomez, Gudmundsson and Tucadean were all excellent, with a number of others not far behind. If young Joe can perform like this against Derby, this division will, at the risk of understatement, certainly hold no fears for him. Apart from his speed, use of the ball and overall quality, I liked his attitude - no one is going to overawe him or push him around. Very pleased also for George, who looked a far better player tonight, and for Nick Pope that his error didn't end up allowing Derby to take away an undeserved point.

Let's hope that this type of result and performance will gradually lure back some of the faithful who have, perhaps understandably, drifted away from the Valley over the last couple of years. It's still very early days but the efforts being made on and off the field will hopefully bear fruit and our gates will increase if we can build some momentum as the season develops.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To both match and ultimately beat two of the fancied teams in quick succession is very encouraging and although it is obviously very early days the signs are good so far. Ben Haim & Bikey are already looking a very solid partnership, young Gomez was very impressive on his debut, Buyens looks a real player on what we have seen so far, Tucedean had an excellent first half before unfortunately having to go off, and Vetokele looks like he can bag quite a few goals. I thought that Wiggins was below his best again but he will come good and we have other options, so the only real concern for me at present is the goalkeeping situation. Both Henderson & Pope lack experience and Pope was unimpressive tonight with the second goal a real howler. Lets hope they will both improve otherwise the loss of Ben Hamer may be a bigger blow than we thought.
  • Options
    Hard to put into words, i think i need a lie down.
  • Options
    I didn't think we were THAT good tonight, but then if we can grind out a 3-2 win against a side touted for promotion then it brings plenty of promise for the rest of the season.

Good finish by George, then they passed rings around us without any real incision. Brilliant goal from Ward though to level it.

I was in West Upper near the Jimmy Seed and at the time I honestly thought George had slipped, or if he hadn't, it was a very soft penalty. Even so I didn't understand not booking the Derby player or even sending him off.

Second half I thought we edged. It helped a lot that Jackson started to push up and put pressure on the Derby defenders on the ball, otherwise first half bar two tackles he looked pretty anonymous again.

Two problems:

1. Too static at times - second half we made problems for ourselves by not making runs or creating space, and instead the ball went back to the back 4, back to Pope who would punt upfield and we would give them possession. Just giving players options and slowing down the play would relieve us of the pressure.

2. Inverted wingers - I like Gudmundsson a lot and Cousins is a lot more effective on the left than he was on the right last season but I really think we have looked a lot better against Wigan & Derby when Wilson has come on to play right wing and Gudmundsson has shifted over to the left on his natural foot.
    If we break quickly we lose any impetus as Gudmundsson in particular then cuts back onto his left foot, slows down the tempo of the attack, they get players back and it comes to nothing. Gudmundsson and Wilson provide us natural width, something we have needed for a long time.

All that said, 7 points from 9 is a brilliant haul given we have played a team away coming off the back of a promotion and two strong teams who are favourites for promotion.
  • Options
    Thought we played excellently - putting it mildly!

We had our weaker moments but to be fair Derby were never going to roll over and die for us. Both teams were playing for 3 points.

Thought JJ really stepped up to the mark tonight and lead from the front. Buyens was strong and Gomez was class.

Tucudean did well - good goal. Shame he went off injured.

Lawrie Wilson playing so well - livened it up when we looked on danger of tiring. Good sub by Peeters.

Thought Bikey had a more subtle presence tonight. Perhaps he comes into his own with weaker and less confident teams rather than the self-assured Rams?

Pope looks nervous and perhaps a little hesitant? Was worried Derby would turn a back pass into a goal as it almost happened a few times. Hope his confidence rises - crowd need to keep off his back if he's to keep his chin up. Think he's a good lad and will come good.

Nice to see such a passing game and that we took it to the opposition. Best I've seen in a long, long time. Pinching myself; am I dreaming?
  • Options
    West2003 said:

I didn't think we were THAT good tonight, but then if we can grind out a 3-2 win against a side touted for promotion then it brings plenty of promise for the rest of the season.

Good finish by George, then they passed rings around us without any real incision. Brilliant goal from Ward though to level it.

I was in West Upper near the Jimmy Seed and at the time I honestly thought George had slipped, or if he hadn't, it was a very soft penalty. Even so I didn't understand not booking the Derby player or even sending him off.

Second half I thought we edged. It helped a lot that Jackson started to push up and put pressure on the Derby defenders on the ball, otherwise first half bar two tackles he looked pretty anonymous again.

Two problems:

1. Too static at times - second half we made problems for ourselves by not making runs or creating space, and instead the ball went back to the back 4, back to Pope who would punt upfield and we would give them possession. Just giving players options and slowing down the play would relieve us of the pressure.

2. Inverted wingers - I like Gudmundsson a lot and Cousins is a lot more effective on the left than he was on the right last season but I really think we have looked a lot better against Wigan & Derby when Wilson has come on to play right wing and Gudmundsson has shifted over to the left on his natural foot.
    If we break quickly we lose any impetus as Gudmundsson in particular then cuts back onto his left foot, slows down the tempo of the attack, they get players back and it comes to nothing. Gudmundsson and Wilson provide us natural width, something we have needed for a long time.

All that said, 7 points from 9 is a brilliant haul given we have played a team away coming off the back of a promotion and two strong teams who are favourites for promotion.

Great post. Honest assessment of the match and agree pretty much with everything you've written here. We're not the finished article, but what a huge improvement on what we were watching just a matter of months ago!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I need to go to bed with work tomorrow! (later today!)

Can't though still buzzing after that!
  • Options
    Popped into watch Charlton tonight, great atmosphere in the covered end and were much the best team despite the scoreline.
  • Options
    Its a little bit blinding isnt it ....

Just watched the interviews on Player and Peters is just coming over so well... Igor looked absolutely shattered...

Trying to keep my feet on the ground and desperate to see the goals... but this is really setting up for a decent season...

• Options
    Great result, especially when you think back that most people thought we'd get our first point at Huddersfield...

Bikey and TBH looked solid again, Gomez looks a real talent, his switch ups, positioning and man marks were amazing tbf, Wiggins had a decent night. Jackson great game, glad he stuck it to the doubters (including me) Buyens class act again, JBG class act again, better game for him than the Wigan game. Cousins didn't have a good night but it's not a big deal, same goes for Pope (shocking second goal). I thought Tucudean was great, hope the injury isn't too bad, Igor with a good game too. I think they could make a really threatening partnership once they are more in sync, too many wasted passes/greedy runs. Good subs by Bob and good game for both subs. (Not counting Fox)

General playstyle was positive, so exciting watching us attack now. In my eyes our players haven't got their shooting boots on yet, imagine when they do...I can see us steam rolling a few teams this season.

Main negative for me and the only one really is that we give the opposition too much time on the ball. We closed down pretty well but Derby looked far too comfortable at times and it was very nerve racking at the end.

Still don't think we're playing our best yet and we've beaten two of the best teams in the league, dream start in my eyes.