Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Derby post match views 2014/15

Comments

• Options
    Blucher said:

What a marvellous evening's entertainment !

There won't be many higher quality games in the entire Championship this season and we were deserved winners against a very good side. I haven't seen a Charlton team pass the ball with that intent and composure for a long time, which is a real testament to the work of Bob Peeters, Damian Matthew and Patrick Van Houdt. They do, of course, have some very high quality material to work with but tonight's offering was really quite something only 11 days into the season.

Derby hardly got a touch in the first 20 minutes but, to their credit, came back strongly and we were a little fortunate to be in front at half time, thanks to Tucadean's mazy run. In the second half, however, we pressed further up the field and Jacko was far more effective tucked in behind the front two, pushing Derby into going longer. A very smart move by Bob on the tactical front. Our fluidity and movement was very good and we repeatedly and calmly played our way out of trouble from the back, with Igor looking dangerous up front.

Overall, a very fine team performance. It's almost invidious to single out individuals, although Buyens, Ben Haim, Gomez, Gudmundsson and Tucadean were all excellent, with a number of others not far behind. If young Joe can perform like this against Derby, this division will, at the risk of understatement, certainly hold no fears for him. Apart from his speed, use of the ball and overall quality, I liked his attitude - no one is going to overawe him or push him around. Very pleased also for George, who looked a far better player tonight, and for Nick Pope that his error didn't end up allowing Derby to take away an undeserved point.

Let's hope that this type of result and performance will gradually lure back some of the faithful who have, perhaps understandably, drifted away from the Valley over the last couple of years. It's still very early days but the efforts being made on and off the field will hopefully bear fruit and our gates will increase if we can build some momentum as the season develops.

If they've drifted away, they shouldn't be called the faithful.
  • Options
    What are they doing at Sparrows Lane?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Fiiiiiish said:

last_line said:

limeygent said:

"Only one team in it" - Steve McLaren. Don't think anyone has told him the final score yet.

He has always struck me as a blinkered bitter twat and tonight only serves to support that. Can't stand the man.
    His opinions are as much a joke as that horrific hairstyle he thinks he can pull of. A complete wally.
    Does he still have a Isle of Wight haircut? That place is known for Cowes and other than milk, they are well known for their output of shit.
  • Options
    Good game between two teams comfortable with the ball. Like others, I was impressed by Charlton and the transformation of Jackson in particular. He won so many tackles and wasn't just a holding midfielder in the 2nd half. When the Derby keeper/centre backs had the ball, Jackson was pushed right up on them trying to close down...I've never seen him used like that before. He gave a superb performance.

I agree that all of the new signings look like an upgrade on recent seasons. Everyone of them has very decent attributes. Being a watcher of defenders, I was especially pleased with Ben Haim (who looked more powerful in the air than Bikey). Gomez (not a new signing but feels like one!) was brilliant. If he'd been a signing from the Premier League, you wouldn't have been surprised on that performance against excellent opposition.

On the slightly down side...Pope's kicking from back passes was a cause for concern and despite a couple of good catches, he didn't especially look the part (I hope it was just nerves). Bikey did a lot of good things but I'm not convinced about his positional sense (he gets the wrong side of the ball quite a bit and I thought he was slow to block the shot for the 2nd goal). That's not to say I don't like him (he did many good things) but as a coach I'd have concerns.

Lastly, the pitch helped both teams provide the entertainment that has often been lacking over the previous couple of seasons. It was superb.
  • Options
    Another great win. Thought Jackson was at his best, and some have written him off too soon. Pope looked nervous, but would expect that, hope he can overcome it or we may need another experienced keeper. Gudmundsson looked real class again to me, and Wilson should be starting. Wish we could hold onto leads convincingly and not have the last minute nerves, but a good start so far.
  • Options
    If we had won 3-1, we would have been top of the table.

Just saying....
  • Options
    We don't want to peak too soon.
  • Options
    I think the team that finished the game and the formation is the best. Cousens not quite there yet and Wilson must play. I prefer the Gomez option to Solly. He reminds me of Rufus in that he can make an error but he's quick enough to atone. Could see him and Wilson really developing an understanding. Would stick with Wiggins for a while but Fox is a good alternative if he doesn't improve. Lots of options, especially when you can bring Moussa or Harriott off the bench.
  • Options

cabbles said:

No disrespect to those that plied their trade in difficult circumstances last season, but we look a completely different team.

Probably cos apart from Wiggins, Jackson & Cousins, it was a completely different team...............................
    Mwwwaaaaahhh:) I meant in terms of footballing ability
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think weve scored more goals in 3 league games then we did in all of last season.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

"Only one team in it" - Steve McLaren. Don't think anyone has told him the final score yet.

Yeah well teach your teams to defend then you bloody twat McLaren!!
  • Options
    Joint top goal scorers in the division BTW. I know it's only 3 games in but after last season's problems up top that's nice to see.....
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Joint top goal scorers in the division BTW. I know it's only 3 games in but after last season's problems up top that's nice to see.....

10 goals after four games this season... Didnt we only manage about 40 / 50 the whole of last?
  • Options
    You can't argue with that performance. We showed fight and spirit along with some class on the ball in midfield. Derby are one of the hardest teams we will play this season so it definitely bodes well for the rest of the season. Play like that against Huddersfield and I can only see one winner... Saying that I would probably take a draw away as they just has a good result against reading. Onwards and upwards! Coyr!
  • Options
    Only thing that slightly worries me is the fact that Peeters substitutions (albeit well timed) are becoming a bit too evident... i.e. Moussa for Tucudean / Wilson for a Midfielder around the same sort of times
  • Options
    For the first time in years we are sending out a team brimful with character, and a manager who likes to attack/score goals. It's frightening to keep dreaming Premiership, I really must stop. No sod it, lets enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Quality stuff. Watched the results come in on Gillette soccer special with a baby screaming in my ears. It was like the old days of watching the footy on Ceefax.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    very pleasing, we look like scoring every time we go forward and can really see a few times get a spanking by us this year if we carry on like this. Difference being this year that when Derby equalized I just felt the players knew if they stuck to there game they would win.

Think we need to try and calm down a bit though and play down expectation at this stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014

Great result.

Thought we were massively second best in all areas apart from goal scoring.

Derby will go up. We won't I'm afraid.

Eejit of the week prize winner for week 2 goes to this! ;-)
  • Options

Only thing that slightly worries me is the fact that Peeters substitutions (albeit well timed) are becoming a bit too evident... i.e. Moussa for Tucudean / Wilson for a Midfielder around the same sort of times

yeah but it's working ???????????????????, strange comment
    Yup and am not complaining that its working!!

For how long though... How long before it becomes transparent and an opposition manager (once the team-sheets are out) can include it in their pre-match teamtalks and begin to counter against it
  • Options

For how long though... How long before it becomes transparent and an opposition manager (once the team-sheets are out) can include it in their pre-match teamtalks and begin to counter against it
    tbf, trying to counter possible future replacements is practically impossible due to the fact that you cant foresee the match events, forced subs and all that.

Even if it is predictable , that doesnt really matter because it still changes the flow and shape of the team, the tempo of the game and esp replaces quality and threat with quality and threat. If chances come from all 4-6 players in front , than the opposition can only try to remain tight.
  • Options

If we are in the position where the opposition has to make their subs to match our team/subs then surely that means we are dictating the type of game being played.

Not a bad place to be!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Great result.

Thought we were massively second best in all areas apart from goal scoring.

Derby will go up. We won't I'm afraid.

Eejit of the week prize winner for week 2 goes to this! ;-)
    Viewfinder seem to have vanished. I'm stepping up. Although i do feel Derby will go up and Charlton won't.
  • Options
    Not much to add but isn't it great to be watching a Charlton team that has goals in it? I think we're going to give at least one or two teams a good thumping this season.

That opening 20 minutes was the best on the floor football I think we've played since the Prem... trying to keep my expectations in check right now but what a start. Watching the team at Brentford, Wigan and Derby you can see us getting better every game - and we probably won't be firing on all cylinders for a few more weeks either. Very exciting!!
  • Options
    Just seen the goals. Lovely 1st touch turn and finish by george.

Buyens sure knows how to take a pen too.

No stopping derbys 1st. Great strike. Shocker for the 2nd though. Hopefully it doesn't knock popeys confidence.