Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Derby post match views 2014/15

Comments

• Options
    Very enjoyable game last night. So different from the last few years. We played nice passing football. Gudmunson in the first half was absolutely superb. Tucodean took his goal brilliantly and made two runs which scared the shit out of their defenders (one he shot from far too far out and the other he got a pen). Igor, JJ, Buyens and the central defence were all excellent as well. Moussa a bit similar to Igor but with a great first touch.

We shouldn't be carried away though. There are a few weaknesses that we need to address to be serious play off contenders.

First, I don't agree that Wiggins had a good game. OUr left was weak throughout, with him and Cousins frequently selling each other short and losing possessin. Wiggins also made some very poor passes, though he defended OK. Cousins had his moments but I honestly don't think he is very well suited to a wing role.

Second, I'm not sure about Fox as right back. Appreciate I am in a minority of one here, but while I thought he was strong and good on the ball I also thought he lost his position frequently and didn't seem to appreciate the importance of overlapping.

Finally, and most problematically, Buyens and Cousins for all that they had good games yesterday are too similar as players. They break up play but are slow in getting forward meaning we are unable to break with any speed. Our attack often broke down as we were forced to pass backwards due to lack of support.

Sorry if that sounds negative - it's not meant to be. We are head and shoulders above wheer we were last year but we need to be realisitic as well.
  • Options
    In addition, next Tuesday is going to be fascinating. We both have games at the weekend first, so no concrete plans can be made by either team, but the approach of McLaren and his players, and Bob and ours is going to be an absorbing experience.
    Neither team majors on passion, fist pumping or door punching, although both teams are capable of a bit of that. It is going to be a cerebral as much as a physical challenge for both camps.
    Usually playing a team twice so close together can be a very dull prospect, but not this time. Different competition, different ground, different atmosphere, I don't know about different players or not from either side, but it is sure going to be interesting.
  • Options
    crewton said:

limeygent said:

"Only one team in it" - Steve McLaren. Don't think anyone has told him the final score yet.

Have you got a source for that quote, because having listened to two McClaren interviews, one for local Radio and the other for the Club website, he didn't say that. If he DID say it somewhere, I imagine he was referring to the 2nd quarter of the game when Derby were indeed well on top. He said he expected us to come out and equalise in the 2nd half, but we couldn't do it. It's sad when oppo fans jump on the hate-McClaren bandwagon, because he's always complimentary to other teams and rarely comes out with the self-justifying shit that so many managers do.

Anyhow, congratulations on the win and a good performance. We weren't at the races in the 1st 20 minutes, but I think the penalty changed the course of the game; I had a good view of the incident and thought it was soft and we had a similar situation when Hendrick went down in the 2nd half, but we didn't get it. That said, we should have dealt with the situation better and the ref should never have had the opportunity to give it. We regularly shot ourselves in the foot that way. 2nd half, you sat back and played mainly like the away side, which in truth is what all teams who have done well against us since McClaren took over have done and we need to find a way of overcoming it, because it's going to happen regularly. You defended really well in the 2nd half, broke well and capitalised on our mistakes. I think it's fair to say the team that made the fewest mistakes won, but despite the stats, you deserved the win in the end. Peeters deserves great credit - on that showing he seems an astute coach. You'll surprise a few teams, but it'll be interesting to see how you cope with being 'favourites' for the next few games. Your new players look good signings on that showing at least.

It's good that we have an early chance to exact revenge and I hope to see a few Addicks fans at the Ipro next Tuesday, although I could understand it if the fact that it's the Carling Cup keeps the numbers down.
    Thanks for that viewpoint. Peeters was unambiguously complimentary towards Derby and personally I think we took you a bit by surprise. We certainly took ourselves by surprise too.
    Tuesday is going to be interesting, although you host Fulham (who play Wolves tonight for extra spin), and we visit Huddersfield (who surprised Reading last night) first.
    Our squad is moderate in size, how about yours?

• Options
    Jints said:

Very enjoyable game last night. So different from the last few years. We played nice passing football. Gudmunson in the first half was absolutely superb. Tucodean took his goal brilliantly and made two runs which scared the shit out of their defenders (one he shot from far too far out and the other he got a pen). Igor, JJ, Buyens and the central defence were all excellent as well. Moussa a bit similar to Igor but with a great first touch.

We shouldn't be carried away though. There are a few weaknesses that we need to address to be serious play off contenders.

First, I don't agree that Wiggins had a good game. OUr left was weak throughout, with him and Cousins frequently selling each other short and losing possessin. Wiggins also made some very poor passes, though he defended OK. Cousins had his moments but I honestly don't think he is very well suited to a wing role.

Second, I'm not sure about Fox as right back. Appreciate I am in a minority of one here, but while I thought he was strong and good on the ball I also thought he lost his position frequently and didn't seem to appreciate the importance of overlapping.

Finally, and most problematically, Buyens and Cousins for all that they had good games yesterday are too similar as players. They break up play but are slow in getting forward meaning we are unable to break with any speed. Our attack often broke down as we were forced to pass backwards due to lack of support.

Sorry if that sounds negative - it's not meant to be. We are head and shoulders above wheer we were last year but we need to be realisitic as well.

Did Fox play right back, I thought that was Gomez, and Fox came on as a sub later
  • Options
    On holiday so I've missed the last two games. Just wow. What a great win against two of the best sides in this division. Can't wait to get back and see this team!
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Did Fox play right back, I thought that was Gomez, and Fox came on as a sub later

I meant Gomez...doh

• Options
    I can only listen to the game on Player so I'm envious of all those at The Valley last night. My impression listening was that we always seemed to break out of defense a lot quicker than last year and, listening anyway, we always seemed a threat. I think this augers well for this season as we have a few players now who can make things happen going forward and I can see goals in this team. That, coupled with a solid central defensive partnership of Bikey and Ben Haim, is reason for optimism in itself.

Listening, it seemed that Buyens, Gud and Tucudean (before he went off) had excellent games. From the commentary that's what came over to me. However, it's also evident that there were solid performances from the CB pair, JJ in the middle, and young Gomez at RB.

Having just watched the match highlights on Player, other players who made an impact that wasn't so evident listening to the match were Jordan Cousins, who had a big contribution to the first goal, Franc Moussa, who is a great option to have coming off the bench, and Lawrie Wilson, who I have a lot of time for. Playing the game as it appears Bob wants us to play requires a good brain as well as the physical skill and I think Lawrie has that. I can see him making a good contribution this season.

I also think Vetokele is some player. I love his attitude and he seems to work his balls off all game. No wonder he was exhausted in the interview on Player. I think he's going to score quite a few this year and turn a few defenders inside out.

Of the players who were used yesterday the two players who I have reservations about are Pope in goal, who I feel is just too young and inexperienced at the moment to be the backup, and Wiggins who just doesn't seem to be able to step up to the next level that, hopefully, we are starting to attain. I'd like to be wrong here but maybe Wiggins is one of the players from the old guard who won't make the grade. Let's see on that one.

Finally, I do believe we lack strength in depth. The players we had starting yesterday, and the subs we brought on, can do the job but when we start looking at the other subs like Piggot, Church and even Harriott I get the shivers a bit. I think Morro can do a job for us if need be but I don't think he's in the same natural class level as Bikey and Ben Haim. This will be a concern if we get injuries to any of the players who were out there yesterday.

I'm sure Bob is very aware that we lack strength in depth and don't be surprised to see at least 2 or 3 more players coming in before the end of the transfer window.

Exciting times ahead I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ben18 said:

"ToolStation" ?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Ben18 said:

"ToolStation" ?
    I have a feeling Jacko and Vetokele just got a bargain on a new Black & Decker..
  • Options
    crewton said:

limeygent said:

"Only one team in it" - Steve McLaren. Don't think anyone has told him the final score yet.

Have you got a source for that quote, because having listened to two McClaren interviews, one for local Radio and the other for the Club website, he didn't say that. If he DID say it somewhere, I imagine he was referring to the 2nd quarter of the game when Derby were indeed well on top. He said he expected us to come out and equalise in the 2nd half, but we couldn't do it. It's sad when oppo fans jump on the hate-McClaren bandwagon, because he's always complimentary to other teams and rarely comes out with the self-justifying shit that so many managers do.

Anyhow, congratulations on the win and a good performance. We weren't at the races in the 1st 20 minutes, but I think the penalty changed the course of the game; I had a good view of the incident and thought it was soft and we had a similar situation when Hendrick went down in the 2nd half, but we didn't get it. That said, we should have dealt with the situation better and the ref should never have had the opportunity to give it. We regularly shot ourselves in the foot that way. 2nd half, you sat back and played mainly like the away side, which in truth is what all teams who have done well against us since McClaren took over have done and we need to find a way of overcoming it, because it's going to happen regularly. You defended really well in the 2nd half, broke well and capitalised on our mistakes. I think it's fair to say the team that made the fewest mistakes won, but despite the stats, you deserved the win in the end. Peeters deserves great credit - on that showing he seems an astute coach. You'll surprise a few teams, but it'll be interesting to see how you cope with being 'favourites' for the next few games. Your new players look good signings on that showing at least.

It's good that we have an early chance to exact revenge and I hope to see a few Addicks fans at the Ipro next Tuesday, although I could understand it if the fact that it's the Carling Cup keeps the numbers down.
    I heard it and he was talking about the period when the scored their first, upto the Penalty.

• Options
    seth plum said:

crewton said:

limeygent said:

Thanks for that viewpoint. Peeters was unambiguously complimentary towards Derby and personally I think we took you a bit by surprise. We certainly took ourselves by surprise too.
    Tuesday is going to be interesting, although you host Fulham (who play Wolves tonight for extra spin), and we visit Huddersfield (who surprised Reading last night) first.
    Our squad is moderate in size, how about yours?

Ours is moderate too, lacking in the CB and striker areas and we could do with a nippy winger. Those problems may be solved by loans. What we need most of all is to get everyone playing at their best and to sort out the DM role, a problem which has been caused by George Thorne's injury. I'm sure the improvement will come but I'm also sure it's going to be a much tighter season at the top and bottom. Some of our fans are getting a bit too concerned about early season form, forgetting that we were 14th when McClaren took over at the end of last September. My gut feeling is that a good season will still be a play-off place. Automatic is a tough ask for a team assembled on a pretty low budget compared to at least half the division and in that respect, I think the4 bookies have been a bit lazy/cautious.
  • Options

Cracking stuff - that was the best football we've played for more than two years. We started brightly, as we had against Wigan, and kept the momentum going for much of the game - Pope's impersonation of Charlie Wright aside.

Many qualities to admire: we dug ourselves out of defensive positions without lumping it, advanced quickly through midfield, passed forward accurately and were sharp in attack. Tucudean's goal was well worked from defence, and his mazy run for the penalty a sight to behold. Even Wilson's flick from Jackson's cross to set up the third goal wouldn't have come off last season. Derby are a strong and skilful side, and played very well too.

A thoroughly enjoyable game from start to finish - exhilarating stuff.

There must have been a revolution at Sparrows lane between, err Saturday an Tuesday ;-)

• Options
    Jints said:

ross1 said:

I meant Gomez...doh

Yes, it was Gomez and I'd hazard a guess that he's under instructions not to stray too far forward; albeit he became a little more adventurous as the game wore on.
    crewton said:

limeygent said:

What's your view on taking Hughes off at half-time - was he injured?
    He seemed pivotal to your play, almost like a "quarterback"
  • Options

Just moved, just got internet-connected (many thanks to my son Ben for doing the fiddly bits and to the BT engineer from Sidcup (name unknown) who earlier got the system installed, and who was also in the NW last night) and typing this with some difficulty as there is almost no furniture yet - the keyboard is on my lap and the mouse on the arm of the armchair.

So, on behalf of the Reminiscence Wing of CL may I please announce the completion of a hat-trick of memorable/classic/vintage victories over Derby, in each case a marvellous, skilful, sporting, spicy and enthralling contest between two evenly-matched and talented teams neither of which let the action falter even for a moment.

Therefore, folks, 19 Aug 14 can be added to the matches I've mentioned (too) many times before on here - FAC4 27 Jan 62 CAFC 2-1 DCFC, an unforgettable match with The Valley surroundings clad in thick mist, leaving the pitch an oasis of light as the terraces packed with 34K marched off up into the gloom in an atmosphere very seldom matched, and 30 Jan 69 as two table-toppers grappled on a dank winter's day with Charlton prevailing 2-0, the first goal maybe the best ever and 30K (minus those in black and white) sent absolutely wild.

Sorry, but it just had to be said (oh all right, again). What are memories for if you can't dig them out and dust them off once in a while ....

• Options
    This was Gomez's league debut so it would have been bizarre if he had rampaged down the right wing, especially as Gudmundsson hasn't yet got into the frame of mind to cover for him. He is just 17 and had a superb debut. He will drive further forward when he is a) instructed to do so and b) is more experienced. Contrast his performance with the vastly more experienced Rhoys who seemed totally unaware of Derby players outside him. Several times he was caught many yards out of position. Rhoys is fine going forward but a full back's first job is to defend. It may be said that Cousins unfamiliarity with the left wing-back role hasn't helped Rhoys and I would endorse that concern. On the positive side (in addition to Gomez) how thrilling to see us pose a goal threat from Igor, George and Frank as well as the midfielders. (I will pass over Popes full debut for us. He will get better...once he swaps Deano's boots!!
  • Options

This was Gomez's league debut so it would have been bizarre if he had rampaged down the right wing, especially as Gudmundsson hasn't yet got into the frame of mind to cover for him. He is just 17 and had a superb debut. He will drive further forward when he is a) instructed to do so and b) is more experienced. Contrast his performance with the vastly more experienced Rhoys who seemed totally unaware of Derby players outside him. Several times he was caught many yards out of position. Rhoys is fine going forward but a full back's first job is to defend. It may be said that Cousins unfamiliarity with the left wing-back role hasn't helped Rhoys and I would endorse that concern. On the positive side (in addition to Gomez) how thrilling to see us pose a goal threat from Igor, George and Frank as well as the midfielders. (I will pass over Popes full debut for us. He will get better...once he swaps Deano's boots!!

Derby's known strength was loading the wings, so given our shape I'd be surprised if full backs weren't advised by BBB to let wingers close down wide but defend narrow. Both Gomes & Wiggins constantly let wide men get ball on wings unchallenged.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Harvey's Gardnener said "Derby's known strength was loading the wings, so given our shape I'd be surprised if full backs weren't advised by BBB to let wingers close down wide but defend narrow. Both Gomes & Wiggins constantly let wide men get ball on wings unchallenged. "

True but as Wiggins was just as far off his oppo on Saturday and as Gomez closed down his winger much more quickly, my concern is that Wiggins is giving his winger far too much room and is having to stretch to close him down. When I focus on him he seems to be a 'ball watcher' whereas a previous left back (who shall be nameless) was always glancing round to see the possible danger.
  • Options
    Another great result. Not sure when we last looked so comfortable on the ball as a team. We played some good football at times in the League 1 title winning season but this was a big step above that. I've been impressed with the passing game of teams like Forest in the last two seasons and we look like we potentially as good as them. Before that we worked very hard to compete but there was a clear difference in the quality of the teams. Now we look exciting going forward, even if we're nothing more than a mid table side we should create good chances and score more than a few goals. Much better to watch with a pitch to match.

Really enjoy watching Gudmundsson get on the ball. Buyens looks like he can be what Hollands was in League 1, a proper box to box midfielder. Vetokele reminded me a bit of BWP, but with much more pace and strength.

Pleased Tucudean looked to be improving but a shame about the injury. Hope he's not out for long. We struggle when we do have to go long with Vetokele and Moussa up front.

Gomez did well and I think there's plenty more to come from him on the attacking side once he settles down.

Thought Pope did ok apart from the mistake. Room for improvement with things like kicking but I think he will in time prove himself at this level.

It's going to be interesting to see how we cope once teams know more about what they're up against, it feels like we've surprised them all so far. I think we can and will get better, and a couple of signings should really improve the depth of the squad. It's also great to see all signings so far look like they should do well in this league.
  • Options
    Derby looked shell shocked at how much better we are than last season! Derby defence couldnt cope and looked well on the ropes brilliant peformance by the lads im loving them all
  • Options
    Jints said:

No i thought Buyens was outstanding!! but i liked your first quote
  • Options
    i love that, you can see how calm and composed igor is. What a great natural striker we've got there!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Derby's known strength was loading the wings, so given our shape I'd be surprised if full backs weren't advised by BBB to let wingers close down wide but defend narrow. Both Gomes & Wiggins constantly let wide men get ball on wings unchallenged.
    I did notice we also seem happier to let the oppositions goalkeeper and defenders get on the ball and pass it out. Seemed to worry people around me but the amount of times it happened it looked like that is the way Bob wants us to defend.

Not a bad thing for fitness if we close down well where it really matters. Doubt we'd look as dangerous on the counter if we had been chasing after the ball in Derby's own half in the way I've seen us do in the past.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

FT stats addicks first-;
    possession............37% - 63%
    shots on............... 7 - 6
    shots off................ 6 - 10
    corners.................. 0 - 4

GOALS.............. 3 - 2

I think the possession stat is slightly skewed - 30% of it was their keeper picking the ball out the net.

Great game, great passing football, MOM was Buyens.

Man of the first half was George T - now who was the tit that that told us he was pelt?? I'm glad I have the intelligence to watch a player and make my own mind up.

JJ - was excellent today, its nice to see him play with good players around him.
    Guudmunsson was also superb, he seemed to have an almost free role, if that makes sense.
    Bikey and TBH had a tough evening but came out of it on top, I don't think they will have too many tougher games.
    Well done Gomez, he had a good game, however he kept drifting towards the centre, no surprise there.
    Wiggins so much better.
    Igor! - What a player, great fitness and desire, a blood handful, a future CAFC legend?
    Pope - a very positive keeper, OK he made that error, but what keeper hasn't done that.

In fact hats off to them all, but my biggest praise goes to Bobby P - Derby scored their first goal because we sat back, not because they were better, his half time team talk sorted that and we got at them again in the second and stopped sitting too deep. Excellent use of subs, especially Wilson, and tactically spot on and when you consider he was up against a very good tactical Derby manager he excelled, some might like to hear it but he is light years in front of Chrissy and Riga.

COYRs

Great post and summing up :)
  • Options
    Just watched the extended highlights on CAFCPlayer. Really comes through how we are passing the ball. The pitch is noticeably larger and so, therefore, are the spaces and you can see how that helps us pass and move. We look to have more quality in most departments relative to last season, but the big difference, IMHO, is that we have pace and three or four players who can take the ball past a man. The difference compared to last seasons pedestrian midfield and attack is dramatic.

Vetokele looks a real live wire and will be a handful too much for a lot of Championship defenders and there were a few nices bits of link up play between him and Moussa. One slight concern I still have is with his finishing - he has two goals to his name but both free headers from a yard but has has missed 3 or 4 times when clear through on goal. It'll come I'm sure but he's maybe not shown himself to be an ubber reliable finisher yet. I guess if he was he wouldn't be with us. I'm not knocking the lad though, he already looks like he's the best striker we've had since the Premier League years.

Great that Tucs is off the mark. I think there is a player in there and he'll get better as he adapts to the pace and physicality of the Championship.

Buyens looks a very good penalty taker too. I forget the guys name, but he has a nice straight run up like that ex Burnley bloke who never missed a penalty (maybe Neil Alexander?).

All in all, much to be positive about, early days or otherwise.
  • Options
    You mean Graham Alexander (now Manager @ Fleetwood)... Neil Alexander is a Goalkeeper who has played for Rangers and is at Cryshit Palarse now I think
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @Exiled_Addick‌ Graham Alexander now manager Fleetwood Town, scored 72 of his 77 penalties, a 93.5% conversion rate.