Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Derby post match views 2014/15

Comments

• Options

When at your ground with Spurs we sang, u used to be good and now you're s..

Next time we'll be singing the opposite so it seems.

Told y'all Buyens and Vetokele were the bees knees (is that how you write it?) #smug :)

Been starting to get way too interested in Charlton , do they have meds for that ?

@Belgian_Spur‌ Yes mate, been taking them for over half a century :-)
  • Options
    Haven't seen a game with that much quality at the Valley for a long time. Thought for long periods we were excellent, looking to work the ball rather than play hopeful long balls into the box, keeping possession when an open door is closed (will fans in this country ever not moan if a side passes backwards? Part of the problem with English players brought up this way but that's a moan for another time) and defensively very strong Bikey and TBH looked excellent together and as much as I love Morro I can see exactly why he isn't playing.

Now after the positives I'd like a couple of moans. I've never rated Wiggins as highly as a lot of fans, always felt he lacked defensive capabilities. Bob seems to (a bit like Riga although not to the same extent) to want to play full backs as full backs and not wing backs, this to me just exposes Wiggins' limitations even more. I don't want to be too harsh as we won but that left side is the one worry in the team at the moment for me.

Finally, S Club 7? Really?!
  • Options
    Wow, unbelievable. What a result.

Started to write a post for this thread last night but must have dozed off, was absoloutely smashed last night in celebration, and I'm at work now and pretty sure i'm still a bit pissed.

What a fantastic performance, that first 20 minutes... if we played like that for the whole game every week we would be in the premier league next season 100%. Don't want to get ahead of myself but we looked like such a unit last night, Derby are a good side, promotion favoruite and we limited them to next to nothing lat night - two chances in the first half, one which they took and not one clear cut chance in the second.

We passed the ball around marvelously last night and that first goal was just beautiful. The players seemed like they were oozing with confidence, Gudmundson was incredible, whenever he had the ball I genuinely felt he was going to create something, Jackson was fantastic I felt, ran his heart out and made some vital interceptions as well as setting up the 3rd. Lovely pen from Buyens who was a class act in midfield, Igor got his goal, George upfront looked like a proper centre forward last nigth and great work to win the penalty. Really a shame that Pope made that mistake at the end, but we defended well even then and Derby never looked like equalising.

Cracking atmosphere too, I was sitting in L block and felt we were fantastic, outsung Derby the whole game. So refreshing to actually feel positive about us on the field again. Early days yet but feel this season will no doubt be a lot more enjoyable than last.

Bobby Peeters Red And White Army!
  • Options

FT stats addicks first-;
    possession............37% - 63%
    shots on............... 7 - 6
    shots off................ 6 - 10
    corners.................. 0 - 4

GOALS.............. 3 - 2

I think the possession stat is slightly skewed - 30% of it was their keeper picking the ball out the net.

Great game, great passing football, MOM was Buyens.

Man of the first half was George T - now who was the tit that that told us he was pelt?? I'm glad I have the intelligence to watch a player and make my own mind up.

JJ - was excellent today, its nice to see him play with good players around him.
    Guudmunsson was also superb, he seemed to have an almost free role, if that makes sense.
    Bikey and TBH had a tough evening but came out of it on top, I don't think they will have too many tougher games.
    Well done Gomez, he had a good game, however he kept drifting towards the centre, no surprise there.
    Wiggins so much better.
    Igor! - What a player, great fitness and desire, a blood handful, a future CAFC legend?
    Pope - a very positive keeper, OK he made that error, but what keeper hasn't done that.

In fact hats off to them all, but my biggest praise goes to Bobby P - Derby scored their first goal because we sat back, not because they were better, his half time team talk sorted that and we got at them again in the second and stopped sitting too deep. Excellent use of subs, especially Wilson, and tactically spot on and when you consider he was up against a very good tactical Derby manager he excelled, some might like to hear it but he is light years in front of Chrissy and Riga.

COYRs

• Options
    cant remember the last time i saw our first 4 games--glad i did. Bob wanted a big pitch to play a passing game, at times good teams who love to do that will be a problem , Derby and Wigan are two of those teams but we found a way to win both games. Im sure that at some stage in the season this new team and its new players will be sussed out by this league-----but we are not the same old Charlton.-----However until they do enjoy it.

cant fault the new mob so far---George,Bikey,TBM,Buyens,Igor,Godmenson-----all players like our Manager id never herd of---well done RD

PS Shame the Pikeys got a point.

• Options
    First game of the season. Great seats in the West Upper for £15. What an evening.

A few brief thoughts.

Gudmusson looks a class act but hardly got the ball in the 2nd half. We need to get him much more possession and maybe he needs to come into the middle to look for it more.

Cousins struggled on the left and Big Bob's major headache is going to be how to work things he can play in the centre of midfield.

Very impressed with the Ben Haim/Bikey combo though a striker with pace could ask a few questions that Derby didn't.

Gomez looked class. Definitely a future full England international IMO.

Apart from the Bobby Mimms moment thought Pope looked okay - has definitely got the physique to be a top modern goalkeeper.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

Am whispering. I think we might have a football team......

Exactly this ... and they are still in the early stages ... they can only get better as they get more used to each other.
  • Options
    Well that was good.

First competitive game for me since the Stayen Cup and I was very impressed.

TBH or JJ for MOM. Both worked so hard and took control but there were a lot of very good performances.

The first 20 minutes was something special but then Derby realised that they needed to stop us playing it about. They pushed up and pressurised us and for the rest of the half were on top without creating too many clear cut chances.

The pen, obviously, turned the game and 2nd half we matched them and hit them on the break. JJ again with a wonderful cross for the third and he should have had an assist when he beat the offside trap and Igor took a ball that maybe should have been left for Moussa.

I do wonder if Igor is only ever going to score with his head. He had a couple of chances with his feet and fluffed them and then fell over but can't fault his hard work or team play.

Gomez is as good as those watching the kids have said. Big, composed and skillful.

Wilson made a big difference when he came on as DCFC had been getting both full backs forward to some effect but Lawrie both stopped that on his side and gave us a lot more going forward. Johan B Gud also looked comfortable on the other side.

Nervy last few minutes for us in the stands but the team seemed more in control.

Feel for Pope but it was a poor mistake. Fortunately it didn't cost us points and he kept going. It will be a test for him but I wish the defenders didn't give him so many fast paced back passes. Put him and the team under pressure but that was in part a result of Derby pushing up on the defence.

Felt Derby need better strikers but that takes nothing away from Bikey and TBH. Buyens was very good but seem to get sold a dummy for their first goal when he could perhaps have but a better block in. harsh perhaps

The future looks bright. The table doesn't lie but it is still early days and other teams will be looking to find ways to stop us.

The squad does still look thin and even more so with Henderson out and maybe Tucedean too. We missed have another physical striker to come on. Pigott? Delort? Church? Maybe not. George looked very clever on the ball but also "put it about a bit". Hope he is back soon.

The ground looked good although I'm not a fan of penalty circles. It should be a spot : - )

Didn't eat the food but seemed a lot on offer. The real ale and cider was said to be good.

Liked the big pictures around the ground. If you know your history....

And the programme. Wow, so much on the museum and history of the Club, well done the Comms team.
  • Options
    At the risk of repeating what many have said before - and I await the thanks Colin - I sat and watched the opening 20 minutes or so in near disbelief. Every time we had the ball it was passed around almost Barcelona style with no signs of a hoof ball at any time. And it was every member of the side looking comfortable in position and looking to move the ball on to a colleague. Truly I am scratching my head trying to remember the last time I saw a Charlton team play that way.

Quite clearly the players that have been recruited in the close season are in a different league to the ones who came in January. And if they can stay fit, they may literally be in a different league next year.

Finally, the first time I had seen young Gomez. From what I saw last night all those who had been saying this lad could be something special are right. Given I understand his preferred position is centre half, to fit in so comfortably at right back shows he is a complete footballer. Let's hope that both he, and Cousins, are still here on 1 September and that they haven't been added to the squads of one of the Premiership big boys by then.
  • Options
    Just great to watch Charlton and feel entertained. Not the finished article but very optimistic because:

Everyone looks comfortable on the ball
    We are not hoofing
    We create real chances
    Any one of our players is likely to do something special and make something happen
    Only special players are likely to trouble our defence
    Our wins so far have not been scruffy fortunate wins
    We have stood up to quality opponents

Bob said early on his strength was getting teams well organised and you can go a long way with good organisation. I can only see improvement as the team gels and players become more familiar with each other. I'd be a rubbish manager, I would have dropped JJ, but I can picture a team being built around Gudmunsson.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    We've got better every (Championship) game and last night was very impressive against a good Derby team.

As it turned out those two home fixtures were exactly what we needed - if we'd played less fancied teams there would be more room for doubt.

As it is I think we will do well, maybe very well, although we clearly need another striker even if Tucudean turns out to be a success.

It's a shame there isn't another home game for three and a half weeks as there is an opportunity to build some momentum off the pitch as well as on it.

Not convinced it was a penalty, however. There was a foul outside the box but I don't know about inside. Sky said handball but that would have been very harsh. Having said that, it did look a pen live.

• Options
    Just seen the BBC stat on their Match Report...

Derby have only won once on their last six visits to the Valley. That victory, which came last season, was their only win there this century.

Yes... there have only been 14 years this century and five matches at the Valley!!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Forgot to say, got a bit panicky at the end as I remember a few years back, think it was the season we went down from the Champ, we were 2-1 up and they scored in the last minute to make it 2-2, not this time Derby. Also up yours Mclaren, a class A pr*ck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First game at the Valley for a couple of seasons. Absolutely agree with what has been said above about first 20 mins. Pitch looks fantastic. Ground looks great.

But. But but! This season's kit is truly awful! Particularly the red shorts. And watching Charlton play in rugby league style shirts is something I will never get use to.
  • Options
    Whatever the result, it was undoubtedly a good game to watch - better than anything I have seen in recent years. The first 20 minutes were outstanding and Derby had trouble getting the ball. Then, things changed and Derby looked comfortably the better side. Just before we won the penalty, I remarked that the whistle can't go soon enough for half time and that I would settle for a point right now.

The second half was arguably a steadier performance, although not to the standard of the first 20 minutes. We looked more solid and more dangerous, which is a good combination. The error by Pope meant we had an uncomfortable few minutes at the end.

I think that games are going to be much more pleasurable to watch. There's a certain something about the way we played. We look like a team that will get some luck and, more importantly, score some goals.

Derby were a decent side and outplayed us for a period at the end of the first half. There were some concerns in this period. The midfield looked overwhelmed and the defence looked like letting a second goal in at any moment. I am not quite sure what went wrong. Maybe, it was just Derby playing above themselves for a while.

I don't know either why I think this team will get more luck than the previous team. There's a confidence in the side and I can see teams being worried about playing us. This is good news.

Overall, a draw might have been a fairer result, but what the heck. I asked a Derby fan on the way out if it was a penalty - and he said "no way" - he looked an honest type. However, I think this team will get its share of luck and win games that are close whereas the previous team lost games that were tight. And, in a tight division, this is crucial.
  • Options
    Another thing.

Hardly any Uni of Greenwich signage around the pitch. Still Andrews everywhere. Strange for a main shirt sponsor.

But where there are signs and on the press backdrop board the proper logo and font. Odd.
  • Options
    Outstanding - well done lads.
  • Options
    The last two seasons at home have been pretty dire for the most part. I think we will see plenty of goals at both ends. There is room for improvement but it's a new team so you'd expect that to come. We were excellent for the first twenty minutes especially and we beat a very good side who I expect to be in top 3.

• Options
    Blimey, what an uplifting thread. When I do finally get to the Valley I will be disappointed if we don't play like Brazil '82.
  • Options

Another thing.

Hardly any Uni of Greenwich signage around the pitch. Still Andrews everywhere. Strange for a main shirt sponsor.

But where there are signs and on the press backdrop board the proper logo and font. Odd.

Andrews Air Conditioning are still one of our Sponsors as well though... Did the Uni of Greenwich pay that much money to Sponsor us or was the deal just for their name to be on the shirt
  • Options

Another thing.

Andrews Air Conditioning are still one of our Sponsors as well though... Did the Uni of Greenwich pay that much money to Sponsor us or was the deal just for their name to be on the shirt
    Could well be but U of G are the main shirt sponsors and in the past the deal has included a lot of ground advertising which would show up on TV/photos etc.

Just seemed strange but I'm sure there is a reason for it. Maybe they paid less for just the shirt. The Logo thing is still odd as they are using different logos. Their choice it has been said but still seems an odd thing to do.
  • Options
    Bit gutted I missed the Tucudean penalty drama, was having a slash. Silky skills. That goal of his looks miles better on tv than it did live, could have some player on our hands if he performs consistently like that.
  • Options
    What was the attendance last night please?