Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Friendlies are not competitive matches, even if it's an international weekend

I've no idea if the new UEFA Nations League which will largely replace friendlies from next season onwards is classified as competitive matches or not though
  • Options

Are these competitive friendlies? Is so they still count and we will be due the money if he plays

Is there such a thing? Or am I being whooshed
    International Friendlies affect international rankings and as such, they WOULD count as competitive.
  • Options
    The best product from our youth team in the last 10 years.

Others:

Elliott - Good class goal keeper
    Randolph - Good class goal keeper
    Arter - Back on track after losing the plot. Now a good class midfielder
    Shelvey - Reasonable Premiership quality, but with the pitfalls shown by many English players
    Jenkinson - As above
    Poyet - Completely out of it after a great start
    Lookman - To early to tell, but all those mishit corners and free kicks last season didn't look great

Cousins, Harriott, Fox, Holmes-Dennis might still do something, but no sign as yet. Judgement suspended on the youngsters still at the club.

Gomez may prove to be world class.
  • Options

Others:

Shelvey - Reasonable Premiership quality, but with the pitfalls shown by many English players
    Jenkinson - As above
    Lookman - To early to tell, but all those mishit corners and free kicks last season didn't look great

Cousins, Harriott, Fox, Holmes-Dennis might still do something, but no sign as yet. Judgement suspended on the youngsters still at the club.

Dont see Cousins or Fox as anything more than Championship regulars... Harriott I reckon will drop to League One and have a few forays into the Championship throughout his career

Holmes-Dennis is a difficult one as his injury will setback his career by a year yet see him being a Championship regular
  • Options

Others:

Jenkinson - As above

Dont see Cousins or Fox as anything more than Championship regulars... Harriott I reckon will drop to League One and have a few forays into the Championship throughout his career

Holmes-Dennis is a difficult one as his injury will setback his career by a year yet see him being a Championship regular
    The fact that THD was loaned out to a L1 side by Huddersfield rather than a Championship one suggests to me that the wider football world doesn't rate him as much as people here...

• Options
    HarryLime said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/08/joe-gomez-england-call-up-will-earn-charlton-250000-liverpool/

Yesterdays Telegraph saying we were short changed, but we bear no grudges as officials from de cloob are going to the game.

To be fair to the club, if Joe refused to sign a new contract with us unless the release clause was inserted, there's not much we could do, such is the power these days players and agents have
  • Options
    why is it being reported that they bought him for £3.5m ?

Had plenty of 'In the know' people on here swearing blind it was 6,7,8,9 million
  • Options
    Lookman is still highly rated at Everton, seems to be getting a look in now koeman’s Gone
  • Options

HarryLime said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/08/joe-gomez-england-call-up-will-earn-charlton-250000-liverpool/

Yesterdays Telegraph saying we were short changed, but we bear no grudges as officials from de cloob are going to the game.

To be fair to the club, if Joe refused to sign a new contract with us unless the release clause was inserted, there's not much we could do, such is the power these days players and agents have
    May have helped if we had someone better and more experienced at negotiating contracts as I suggested in the Meire thread. He signed 2 pro deals in 2014 and she had been in the role a matter of months.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Had plenty of 'In the know' people on here swearing blind it was 6,7,8,9 million

Wasnt that Liverpool releasing a £3m figure to try and make it look a better piece of business from them rather than releasing the real figure and everyone then jumping on Gomez when didnt set the world alight immediately (i.e. Just look at John Stone and Man City)
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Wasnt that Liverpool releasing a £3m figure to try and make it look a better piece of business from them rather than releasing the real figure and everyone then jumping on Gomez when didnt set the world alight immediately (i.e. Just look at John Stone and Man City)
    Always got the impression it was people on here hoping it was double that. Might turn out to be with add ons but with the cretins running the club that's probably based on Joe becoming England's record goalscorer, most caps as goalie and being made mayor of Liverpool.

They got him for peanuts basically.
  • Options
    League One side Charlton have pocketed £250k from Joe Gomez’s call-up to the England senior side.

Gomez has been called up by England for the upcoming friendlies against Germany and Brazil, his first senior call-up.

Liverpool signed Gomez from Charlton in 2015 for £3.5m, with one of the add-ons being related to his international recognition.

According to The Telegraph, Liverpool were made to pay Charlton a small sum when he was called up by England under-21’s and have now had to pay £250k for his senior call-up.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    This will make the game more interesting...well done Jo,know have a goodun...proud as punch for him...!!!

Wonder how many...if at all that Charlton get mentioned...:)
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

It might have already been posted here (didn't see it) but there was a good article about Joe Gomez in last night's Evening Standard. He really appreciates all that was done for him at Charlton and especially Steve Avory's coaching. Its now online here (if anyone is interested). Makes interesting reading.

Steve Avory coached me when I was at school which proves he's not always been a success!
  • Options
    Gomez is the best Charlton product in my lifetime (and, yes, I'm old).

Really hope he can fulfil his potential and start playing regularly in the middle of the defence.
  • Options
    Johnnie Jackson‏Verified account
    @johnnie_jackson
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Congratulations @J_Gomez97 England International
  • Options
    Harry Lennon‏Verified account
    @HLennon94
    4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Love it @J_Gomez97
  • Options

cafc-west said:

It might have already been posted here (didn't see it) but there was a good article about Joe Gomez in last night's Evening Standard. He really appreciates all that was done for him at Charlton and especially Steve Avory's coaching. Its now online here (if anyone is interested). Makes interesting reading.

Steve Avory coached me when I was at school which proves he's not always been a success!
    Me too :lol:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well you know what they say about silk purses and sows' ears lads. :-)
  • Options

Really hope he can fulfil his potential and start playing regularly in the middle of the defence.

Big call, better than Bowyer or Parker? Or Robert Lee, or even Defoe?
  • Options
    Angus Gunn of Man City (on loan to Norwich) called up to replace Butland.

Guess Southgate hasn't even heard of Nick Pope?
  • Options

I think he will go on to be more successful than the first three and I'd agree with the original post. With regard Defoe I thought he was a West Ham academy product ;-))
  • Options

Angus Gunn of Man City (on loan to Norwich) called up to replace Butland.

Guess Southgate hasn't even heard of Nick Pope?

That is unreal considering Pope's form of late.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I read that Gunn is only drafted into the squad because he's already at the England base with the U21s and more than anything, he's just filling the extra space in the squad without any prospect of minutes.

Would've been nice for Pope to get that time training with the national team but if he keeps his form up he'll be in sooner or later.
  • Options

I read that Gunn is only drafted into the squad because he's already at the England base with the U21s and more than anything, he's just filling the extra space in the squad without any prospect of minutes.

Would've been nice for Pope to get that time training with the national team but if he keeps his form up he'll be in sooner or later.

Plus Daisy has organised that de cloob gets and extra pack of pork scratchings and two bottles of irn bru for every start he makes for England.
  • Options

I'd still stand by my original post although I was forgetting about Defoe.

The others are more entertaining to watch but, in his preferred central defensive position, I think he'll be the more effective player. Injuries permitting I think he will win many caps.

• Options

Defoe exceptional. Lee v good.

I think Parker blew it all when he walked from us in 2004 - he was never better afterwards.

Bowyer: flawed though effective within the confines of the English game.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Defoe exceptional. Lee v good.

I think Parker blew it all when he walked from us in 2004 - he was never better afterwards.

Bowyer: flawed though effective within the confines of the English game.
    Not wishing to reopen old wounds over Parker but didn't he make three times as many appearances for England as he did for us, play more games in the Prem for 4 different teams, two of which were top sides and set himself up for life financially?

The manner of his departure left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths but in the wider scheme of things his career after moving on all sounds 'better' to me.