Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:

Gomez is the best Charlton product in my lifetime (and, yes, I'm old).

Really hope he can fulfil his potential and start playing regularly in the middle of the defence.

Big call, better than Bowyer or Parker? Or Robert Lee, or even Defoe?
    Defoe exceptional. Lee v good.

I think Parker blew it all when he walked from us in 2004 - he was never better afterwards.

Bowyer: flawed though effective within the confines of the English game.
    Not wishing to reopen old wounds over Parker but didn't he make three times as many appearances for England as he did for us, play more games in the Prem for 4 different teams, two of which were top sides and set himself up for life financially?

The manner of his departure left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths but in the wider scheme of things his career after moving on all sounds 'better' to me.
    we were 4th at the time, eventually finished 7th , but would have finished higher with him still in the team. Frustrating more than anything - particularly as he didn’t feature that much for Chelsea and could have been playing for us.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Really hope he can fulfil his potential and start playing regularly in the middle of the defence.

I think Parker blew it all when he walked from us in 2004 - he was never better afterwards.

Not wishing to reopen old wounds over Parker but didn't he make three times as many appearances for England as he did for us, play more games in the Prem for 4 different teams, two of which were top sides and set himself up for life financially?

The manner of his departure left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths but in the wider scheme of things his career after moving on all sounds 'better' to me.
    Don't dispute the final tally of England appearances.

But was Parker "better" after he left us? I don't think so. Certainly not at Chelsea. Saw him a couple of times at Newcastle and his football was the same. His only honour was a League Cup winners medal at Chelsea in 2005.

In the what-if world my view has always been that had he stayed at Charlton the club would have achieved more and his game would have improved markedly.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

RedChaser said:

But was Parker "better" after he left us? I don't think so. Certainly not at Chelsea. Saw him a couple of times at Newcastle and his football was the same. His only honour was a League Cup winners medal at Chelsea in 2005.

In the what-if world my view has always been that had he stayed at Charlton the club would have achieved more and his game would have improved markedly.
    Sorry I disagree, here's some extracts from wiki about Parker's career after leaving us

Scott Parker was found to be the second best player in the country for December 2006 by Sky Sports and Opta Index. He followed Shearer as Captain of Newcastle and led them on their way to UEFA Intertoto Cup victory and was presented with the Intertoto Cup plaque in March 2007.
    In 2008–09, Parker played a major part of West Ham's season and on 24 May 2009 was voted Hammer of the Year, by the club's supporters and became the first player since Julian Dicks in 1997 to retain the award after winning again on 4 May 2010.
    Parker finished his first season at Tottenham being named as their Player of the Year

Are you really saying he would have achieved higher standards than that if he had stayed with us, which of course is pure conjecture anyway. Let's assume we had got into Europe how do you think that would have worked out with the additional fixture load. Apart from the top 4 in the Prem the lesser teams tend to struggle and so would he.

You're entitled to your opinion but I'm sticking to mine.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Sorry I disagree, here's some extracts from wiki about Parker's career after leaving us

Scott Parker was found to be the second best player in the country for December 2006 by Sky Sports and Opta Index. He followed Shearer as Captain of Newcastle and led them led on their way to UEFA Intertoto Cup victory and was presented with the Intertoto Cup plaque in March 2007.
    In 2008–09, Parker played a major part of West Ham's season and on 24 May 2009 was voted Hammer of the Year, by the club's supporters and became the first player since Julian Dicks in 1997 to retain the award after winning again on 4 May 2010.
    Parker finished his first season at Tottenham being named as their Player of the Year

Are you really saying he would have achieved higher standards than that if he had stayed with us, which of course is pure conjecture anyway. Let's assume we had got into Europe how do you think that would have worked out with the additional fixture load. Apart from the top 4 in the Prem the lesser teams tend to struggle and so would he.

He would have probably gone to Manchester United to replace Roy Keane.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Scott Parker was found to be the second best player in the country for December 2006 by Sky Sports and Opta Index. He followed Shearer as Captain of Newcastle and led them led on their way to UEFA Intertoto Cup victory and was presented with the Intertoto Cup plaque in March 2007.

Or Arsenal to replace Vieira who knows but he didn't did he and I think he was a better player with the experience IMO he gained after leaving us which is the case in point.
  • Options
    With us he had a different role, it's interesting how he later became known as a defensive midfielder, when for us he was much more of an all round player.

If we had still been in the PL, I can imagine he would have returned to us, maybe after Newcastle. Sadly that wasn't to be
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Instead they got Carrick. Who in my opinion want a massively better player. Certainly at the time I think Parker was thought of as the better prospect.
  • Options
    Man of the match. Well done Joe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Outstanding tonight, one step ahead of the Brazil lads.
  • Options
    Being interviewed now on ITV along with Joe Hart.
  • Options
    He's going to end up with 50+ caps and be captain by 2022.
  • Options

Genuinely looked like a world class defender tonight, at the age of 20 that’s phenomenal

I think "world class" is a bit OTT. He played well & probably deserved MOTM, but it was a friendly. It will be different gravy next summer & if it was a WC QF I expect the Brazillians would have stepped it up a bit.

But as I just remarked to Golfie Jnr - a product from the academy playing against Brazil for England - more than Millwall can say !!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Being interviewed now on ITV along with Joe Hart.

So level headed... Fully expected him to ask for the time the way he so casually answers questions
  • Options
    Liverpool's best centre half already and he gets shunted out to right back by Klopp *shakes head*
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Joe
  • Options
    Gomez over Cahill every day of the week, without going over the top, we still don’t really know how his injury has impacted him, but his timing for blocks and tackles is impeccable, and his pace helps him anticipate trouble and sniff it out before it happens, I know it was only a friendly, would love to see him make the World Cup squad, would be a great experience for him.

How he is not ahead of Lovren is beyond me, I guess you can only hold him back for so long.
  • Options
    just wonderful
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I know it was only a PSF v Welling a few years ago when he played at RB as a teenager but I said then that he was an exceptional talent the way he read the game and was comfortable on the ball.

Premature maybe but I likened him to a young Bobby Moore and tonight he lived up to my assesment of him. From Welling to Wembley, well done Joe lad and may you make many, many more appearances for our country :+1:
  • Options
    Will Liverpool continue to play 442, as Joe seems ideally suited to that role on the right of a back 3
  • Options
    How apt that Gomez should perform like that at a game supporting the Bobby Moore Fund for the bowel cancer campaign.
  • Options
    Well friendly or not he was up against the best team in the world and one on one with the best player in the world.

We have looked iffy defensively for some while. He is going to be in England's defence for years to come. The defence as a whole looked good. They even made Joe Hart look good.
  • Options
    Cracking performance from Joe there. Not enjoyed a game at Wembley in a while and then we finally get a bit of atmosphere and a Charlton academy player puts in a performance like that. Bloody brilliant