Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Shows how little Klopp actually knows about setting up a defence. If he had half a brain he'd sack off Lovren and put Joe in CB rather than shoving him at rb. How it took him so long to work out I'll never know.
  • Options
    Well done Jo....brilliant stuff,MOM tonight,I can see many more...
  • Options

Well friendly or not he was up against the best team in the world and one on one with the best player in the world.

We have looked iffy defensively for some while. He is going to be in England's defence for years to come. The defence as a whole looked good. They even made Joe Hart look good.

Neymar isn’t even the 2nd best in the world. Agree third though.
  • Options
    I think many of us knew how special he is and I wish him all the luck in the world as he is a nice person as well.

What is wrong is that clubs in the premier league (don't quote me shit here), do not pay a realistic fee for this type of player. The money needs to be more than a very slow drip if clubs below that level are going to survive.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Well friendly or not he was up against the best team in the world and one on one with the best player in the world.

We have looked iffy defensively for some while. He is going to be in England's defence for years to come. The defence as a whole looked good. They even made Joe Hart look good.

Neymar isn’t even the 2nd best in the world. Agree third though.
    Just my opinion. Whether he is 1, 2, 3 or any other number Joe looked a class act against him. Can't see Cahill getting his place back.
  • Options

Gomez is the best Charlton product in my lifetime (and, yes, I'm old).

Really hope he can fulfil his potential and start playing regularly in the middle of the defence.

Was a 'big call' a few days ago according to some.

Still a lot to prove, agreed, but this lad is well on his way.

From the moment he made his debut (against Colchester?) he had top class potential.

• Options
    We don't want Joe to play too well or Roland might decide to wait around for a percentage of his next fee :-(
  • Options

Genuinely looked like a world class defender tonight, at the age of 20 that’s phenomenal

I think "world class" is a bit OTT. He played well & probably deserved MOTM, but it was a friendly. It will be different gravy next summer & if it was a WC QF I expect the Brazillians would have stepped it up a bit.

But as I just remarked to Golfie Jnr - a product from the academy playing against Brazil for England - more than Millwall can say !!
    Easy Fella ...................Hang on there friend !!!!

There is not much to feel particularly good about as a Charlton fan at the moment languishing in the third tier and where we have been for a few years now.

One of ours at the age of twenty has just kept perhaps the very best international teamin the world at bay on his full debut . I'd say that was something to be immensely pleased with as opposed to anything else that we have had to shout about for a while and warrants less restraint than you advocate .

So throw some Paco Rabanne on your boat , head off at a rate of knots in your Merc SLK down to Sundridge Park , jangle your gold chunky bracelet round your wrist , knock one out about doing par on the fifth , get a round of double g and ts in at the bar with your ten percent members discount and round it all off with lunch at Duo Amici's in Chislehurst toasting Joe on his exceptional performance with a nice glass of Sangiovese .

You know it makes sense .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ashley said:

Genuinely looked like a world class defender tonight, at the age of 20 that’s phenomenal

I think "world class" is a bit OTT. He played well & probably deserved MOTM, but it was a friendly. It will be different gravy next summer & if it was a WC QF I expect the Brazillians would have stepped it up a bit.

But as I just remarked to Golfie Jnr - a product from the academy playing against Brazil for England - more than Millwall can say !!

There is not much to feel particularly good about as a Charlton fan at the moment languishing in the third tier and where we have been for a few years now.

One of ours at the age of twenty has just kept perhaps the very best international teamin the world at bay on his full debut . I'd say that was something to be immensely pleased with as opposed to anything else that we have had to shout about for a while and warrants less restraint than you advocate .

So throw some Paco Rabanne on your boat , head off at a rate of knots in your Merc SLK down to Sundridge Park , jangle your gold chunky bracelet round your wrist , knock one out about doing par on the fifth , get a round of double g and ts in at the bar with your ten percent members discount and round it all off with lunch at Duo Amici's in Chislehurst toasting Joe on his exceptional performance with a nice glass of Sangiovese .

Proud that one of our own played so well, but is it something to shout about? The fact that we sold the bloke for peanuts? He looked a lot better than 3 mil tonight thats for sure.

Having said that, the money would have gone in Rolands pocket so its not all bad.
  • Options
    ashley said:

Not quite sure how to take that, only to say that I've only played Sundridge Park once, I don't drive a Merc or own a gold bracelet, I certainly don't drink G&T & have no idea where in Chislehurst the hostelry (or eaterie) you mention can be found..........but I did once have a bottle of Paco Rabanne.

All is was doing was trying to put into perspective our Joe's performance & his MOM award. Someone posted that he was a "world class" defender - but that was just his 2nd full England appearance, the first coming on as a sub. Yes, he kept probably the best front line in world football at bay, but it was a friendly & nothing at stake. Once he's played a dozen times, appeared in the World Cup finals next year & made himself an England regular, then "world class" could be appropriate. Otherwise Churchy or even Crofts can be called "world class"
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Extracts from BBC write-up. I think they like him.

"By Phil McNulty
    Chief football writer...

It gave Gomez the opportunity to demonstrate his quality with an outstanding display as part of England's three-man central defence...

Gomez and Rashford shine for England

This was a learning curve for England's team - and especially the younger element Southgate is so keen to test as he formulates his World Cup plans.

And in Liverpool's Gomez and Manchester United's Marcus Rashford, he had two emerging talents who did themselves great credit...

Gomez got his chance with Gary Cahill sidelined and took it superbly with an assured performance as part of a three-man defence Southgate now looks certain to use at the World Cup.

The 20-year-old started life as a central defender at Charlton Athletic and even though he has been used on the right side of defence by Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp he slipped back into his old routine with real aplomb, showing his awareness with a series of crucial interceptions.

Southgate is still examining all options in England's central defensive area and Gomez staked an impressive claim here.

Man of the match - Joe Gomez"

---

'Gomez has put his marker down to go to Russia' - Phil Neville (great pundit, after all).
  • Options

ashley said:

Not quite sure how to take that, only to say that I've only played Sundridge Park once, I don't drive a Merc or own a gold bracelet, I certainly don't drink G&T & have no idea where in Chislehurst the hostelry (or eaterie) you mention can be found..........but I did once have a bottle of Paco Rabanne.

All is was doing was trying to put into perspective our Joe's performance & his MOM award. Someone posted that he was a "world class" defender - but that was just his 2nd full England appearance, the first coming on as a sub. Yes, he kept probably the best front line in world football at bay, but it was a friendly & nothing at stake. Once he's played a dozen times, appeared in the World Cup finals next year & made himself an England regular, then "world class" could be appropriate. Otherwise Churchy or even Crofts can be called "world class"
    I think the comment was more-so saying that he looked like a world class defender, ie. wouldn’t look out of place playing at that level every game. Otherwise I make you right, though I definitely think that kind of praise is within reach for him over the next few years. If Cahill, Henderson etc fade out I’d say he has a good chance of getting the captaincy in his career.
  • Options
    If that £3.5m release clause wasn't included in Gomez's contract, he wouldn't have signed a deal at 17yo and left on EPPP rules for 200k + add ons (as Kasey Palmer did).

EPPP has given the best young players - or their agents to be more precise - plenty of leverage in contract talks at 16/17 years of age. We are run by complete f**kwits, but I don't see what else they could have done about it under this current system.

£3.5m was an absolute steal for Liverpool, but it could have been much worse.
  • Options
    MOM for England v Brazil at Wembley.
    That's the stuff you tell your grandchildren.

Well done JG.
  • Options
    So so so very pleased for Joe. I think he has a chance of making the final squad on last night's basis. However it still hurts that we lost him so easily, just one of the reasons I hate the regime. Especially galling in the office today with so many harping on about 'that new kid at the back' and me telling them he was a product of our academy before they go on about Liverpool's effect or playing in the PL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If that £3.5m release clause wasn't included in Gomez's contract, he wouldn't have signed a deal at 17yo and left on EPPP rules for 200k + add ons (as Kasey Palmer did).

EPPP has given the best young players - or their agents to be more precise - plenty of leverage in contract talks at 16/17 years of age. We are run by complete f**kwits, but I don't see what else they could have done about it under this current system.

£3.5m was an absolute steal for Liverpool, but it could have been much worse.

That's my understanding of the situation. Plenty of mismanagement from the Belgians but don't think this one can be blamed on them
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Excellent news.

Just hope there is not a catch like his injury at Norwich being career threatening or something.

bloody hell Len, piss on our chips why don't you
    I know it seems like that but in the programme on Saturday he was talking about being big mates with Kasey Palmer who defected to Chelsea which made me think he might do similar particularly in the light of Diego Poyet.

I am delighted he has signed but, after 50 plus years of seeing our best talents leave often cheaply, cannot help but wonder if all is as straight forward as we would like.

It's the Charlton fan in me I'm afraid!
    Len called it right. Pretty much everyone else was saying what a great deal it was (as they didn't know about the clause).
    Actually, if you have a spare 2 mins read page 4 & 5 of this thread.
    The praise for the owner & CEO was amazing, when you consider many of whom were lavishing the praise.
    I'm not having a pop, I'm just saying how "funny" it is looking back.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Scuttling quickly back to page 5 , we really were a positive bunch 3 years ago , shows what the Douch has reduced us to.
  • Options

Scuttling quickly back to page 5 , we really were a positive bunch 3 years ago , shows what the Douch has reduced us to.

Harsh... Dazzler knew even back then ;)
    Dazzler21 said:

Average news. We'll sell at the first decent offer.

• Options
    To think he had 18 months out.
  • Options
    So happy for him... best kid out of the academy since Parker. From day 1 it was clear he was special and I hope he goes on to skipper England and win tonnes of caps!
  • Options

Harsh... Dazzler knew even back then ;)
    Dazzler21 said:

Average news. We'll sell at the first decent offer.

And I'm generally one of the more optimistic posters :lol:
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/15/joe-gomez-proving-liverpool-bargain-adding-neymar-list-players/amp/

Good article about Joe including an interview with Paul Hart. It seems we nearly lost him at the same time as Kasey Palmer
    Charlton’s former academy manager Paul Hart promoted Gomez to the Under-18s when he was still aged 13 and helped to convince him to turn down a switch to Chelsea.

“We didn’t want to hold him back, but we explained we thought it would be beneficial to stay longer, learn his trade and try to get in the first team, and then go,” said Hart. “We had his mum and dad, and his agent along and they listened to what we said, trusted us and bought into it.”
  • Options
    great to hear. Is our set up as strong as it was then? Could these days we persuade a 13 year old as good to stay? Hope so but....