Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

and now in paris

Comments

• Taken from the Koran Bible

Easy game to play but then I'm an atheist so a plague on both their houses

Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests
    Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches
    You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals
    "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers
    A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Death for Hitting Dad
    Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Death for Cursing Parents
    1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)
    2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

Death for Adultery
    If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication
    A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Death to Followers of Other Religions
    Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

Kill Nonbelievers
    They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Kill False Prophets
    If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God
    Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night
    But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

Kill Followers of Other Religions.
    1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

Henry
    All above quotations taken from the Old Testament, removed from New Testament. Which proves my earlier point that whereas the Bible has adapted to the times,

Both the old and new testaments make up the bible.

They were not "removed" from the new testament.

They are still very much part of the bible.

Modern day Christian use both parts of the bible. Certainly Christians are happy to use the Leviticus 20:13 part to condemn Gays in the US, here and places like Uganda as an excuse for their homophobia
  • edited January 2015
    CAFCTrev said:

All for what, some stupid prophet who didn't exist. Wtf

One of the most stupid comments I've ever seen on here.

Insulting their religion is not exactly going to help is it.
    So people shouldnt be allowed to criticise religion?
    Of course people can criticize religion. Insulting what someone believes in is different to criticizing it though.

For some context, I am not religious in any way, so don't think I'm getting all offended. Just think openly insulting religions is the least helpful thing possible at a time like this.
  • edited January 2015
    colthe3rd said:

Pretty sure he did exist.
    Proof?

Living your life by thousand year old word of mouth just seems like madness to me, but then so does all religion. Especially considering the scientific discovery in the last 100 years. We've done this before though haven't we.
  • 24 Red said:

The point isn't what iron age texts, be it the bible or the Qran, say. The point is how those works are interpreted for the modern day and in a modern society. That's where there is a clear distinction between Christianity (for the most part) and Islam. I wouldn't shed a tear if both religions collapsed under the weight of rational argument, but to each their own.

I agree with 24 Red's initial point. I was born and raised Catholic, went to a Catholic primary and secondary school. The earlier quotes and passages raised were none that we ever got taught or I was even aware of. The curriculum was standard stuff (the feeding of the 5000 etc). I also, up until I didn't want to, went to Church every Sunday. Not once as far as I can remember, heard a sermon covering any aspect of the above or referencing those passages.

I don't have any Muslim friends that I am in touch with at the moment to even ask what their education or exposure is/was like when it comes to the Koran.

The interesting thing for me is, what would've happened had I been taught those passages. I like to think that I'm pretty accepting of other beliefs/cultures, but from a young age, if I had been taking RE lessons and going to a Church where the priest decided to focus on those passages, then who knows.

This is the dangerous thing. For me it is actually very sad. I'm not a practicing Catholic anymore, but it's part of my upbringing so I have a respect for it. I also have a respect for followers of any religion and their show of faith, providing it does no harm to others.

I do believe the Catholic Church/Christianity has adapted their teachings to become more relevant, or try to. I couldn't even comment on Islam.

I also think Leroy's point about 'little worlds' is poignant. How many people go about their day to day business only ever taking in X amount of information? For example this thread has opened my eyes to numerous other atrocities I was completely oblivious to. Unfortunately, if someone says Islam to me, I think terrorism. Yet in another part of the world if someone mentions Catholicism, they may equate that with terrorism.
  • All for what, some stupid prophet who didn't exist. Wtf

this is ignorant on so, so many levels.

1) Muhammed did actually exist, in fact there's for more evidence to suggest he did exist than there are of jesus, buddha and moses.

2) whether he actually was a prophet is open to personal belief, but to belittle some one because of their religious beliefs is like me or anyone else belittling you for supporting Charlton. It's stupid and, frankly, arrogant.

please go back to trimming your neckbeard, dusting your fedora and go back to /r/atheism or whatever circle jerk atheist message board you frequent.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Of course people can criticize religion. Insulting what someone believes in is different to criticizing it though.

For some context, I am not religious in any way, so don't think I'm getting all offended. Just think openly insulting religions is the least helpful thing possible at a time like this.
    If you stop people from insulting religions youre violating their freedom of speech. The people that take offence to the point where they want to kill someone are the ones who need to change, not the ppl drawing insulting cartoons or using words.
  • Science is killing religion and shaking beliefs. I think our future generations will have too much knowledge of the universe to be radicalized. Religion hasn't, and never will work. Let's all have faith and believe that one god is within us all.
  • edited January 2015
    CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

If you stop people from insulting religions youre violating their freedom of speech. The people that take offence to the point where they want to kill someone are the ones who need to change, not the ppl drawing insulting cartoons or using words.
    To be honest what I was trying to say is pretty much what Kentaddick has said perfectly above.

I also agree with exactly what you have said. I'm just making the point that openly going out and insulting what people believe in is really ignorant and not helpful in the slightest.
  • Two hostage situations now - two people dead in a Paris kosher shop, and the Charlieebdo killers in a printers. The terrorist in Paris has been identified as the person who shot dead a policewomen yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

Proof?

Living your life by thousand year old word of mouth just seems like madness to me, but then so does all religion. Especially considering the scientific discovery in the last 100 years. We've done this before though haven't we.
    You do understand what a prophet is right? We can debate about whether God(s) exist but there is no debate that Muhammad existed.
  • Curb_It said:

Hang on a second... why the outrage on cafcnick's post?

There have been untold posts over the years with a lot of posters openly mocking the Christian faith and taking the piss out of people believing in God, whichever god it may be. No one piped up then to say you shouldnt be so ignorant/offensive about someone's beliefs. Im a non practicing catholic and found some of the views a bit offensive but didnt say anything as its people's right to say what they think.

Some of you need to get down off your high horses.

my first point was my main point, muhammed existed. Whether you think he's a prophet or not is up to you and i don't really care. Saying Muhammed never existed is like saying Attila the Hun never existed, or William the Conqueror.

1) Muhammed did actually exist, in fact there's for more evidence to suggest he did exist than there are of jesus, buddha and moses.

2) whether he actually was a prophet is open to personal belief, but to belittle some one because of their religious beliefs is like me or anyone else belittling you for supporting Charlton. It's stupid and, frankly, arrogant.

please go back to trimming your neckbeard, dusting your fedora and go back to /r/atheism or whatever circle jerk atheist message board you frequent.
    No one has ever taken the piss out of you for supporting Charlton KA? That's f***ing amazing, I get it all the time. I brush it off, as I know I have the moral higher ground, the same way the muslims should if someone says their prophet is stupid, or if they draw cartoons of him.
    well, exactly. Don't you think people who do are pretty big bellends though?
    CAFCTrev said:

So you managed to call someone ignorant and demonstrate being ignorant in the same post. *claps*
    I'm here til monday.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Proof?

You do understand what a prophet is right? We can debate about whether God(s) exist but there is no debate that Muhammad existed.
    'In religion, a prophet is an individual who is claimed to have been contacted by the supernatural or the divine, and to speak for them, serving as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other people'

you'll forgive me for requiring proof.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Proof?

'In religion, a prophet is an individual who is claimed to have been contacted by the supernatural or the divine, and to speak for them, serving as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other people'

but he existed. I'm not sure if you were saying he didn't, but that's the point colt is trying to make.
  • edited January 2015
    Pardon my ignorance, but as someone who hasnt studied if Big Mo existed or not, what actually is the evidence that he did. Is it literally just the koran? Did someone find his remains or DNA evidence?

If the answer is just "its in the koran", I might be a tad skeptical.
  • Curb_It said:

There have been untold posts over the years with a lot of posters openly mocking the Christian faith and taking the piss out of people believing in God, whichever god it may be. No one piped up then to say you shouldnt be so ignorant/offensive about someone's beliefs. Im a non practicing catholic and found some of the views a bit offensive but didnt say anything as its people's right to say what they think.

Colt has explained that above. It's different to mocking people that believe in God etc because Mohammad did exist, that is a fact.

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said since Nicks original post, especially the being able to poke fun at differing religions, it's just that first one mocking them for believing in something that factually does exist.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Proof?

but he existed. I'm not sure if you were saying he didn't, but that's the point colt is trying to make.
    I dont know if he existed or not, just if i was going to live my life by the word of someone that lived millennia ago id probably want a little bit more than just 'yeah but he existed'.
  • Curb_It said:

Colt has explained that above. It's different to mocking people that believe in God etc because Mohammad did exist, that is a fact.

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said since Nicks original post, especially the being able to poke fun at differing religions, it's just that first one mocking them for believing in something that factually does exist.
    Where are these facts?

Like i said, i dont know if he did exist or not, id just like some concrete proof before i can understand why so many people devote their lives to his message.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Proof?

I dont know if he existed or not, just if i was going to live my life by the word of someone that lived millennia ago id probably want a little bit more than just 'yeah but he existed'.
    I'm not saying what he preached is true however there is no debate to be had as to whether he existed. I'm actually quite shocked I'm having to type this.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Proof?

which is fair enough. What i picked up on was nick saying something smugly that was factually untrue. Almost a form of evangelical atheism, which i cannot stand, along with all other evangelists of all faiths.
  • We seem to be bashing someone for calling Muhammad stupid. Do we not all support the rights of Charlie Hebdo and the world to make comment as they wish?
  • CAFCTrev said:

Pardon my ignorance, but as someone who hasnt studied if Big Mo existed or not, what actually is the evidence that he did. Is it literally just the koran? Did someone find his remains or DNA evidence?

If the answer is just "its in the koran", I might be a tad skeptical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Muhammad
  • edited January 2015

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Proof?

which is fair enough. What i picked up on was nick saying something smugly that was factually untrue. Almost a form of evangelical atheism, which i cannot stand, along with all other evangelists of all faiths.
    Not trying to troll you mate got an honest question here, but what do think atheism is?
  • edited January 2015
    But kent addick you said: but to belittle some one because of their religious beliefs is like me or anyone else belittling you for supporting Charlton. It's stupid and, frankly, arrogant.

Do you call people arrognat and stupid when people mock christians for their relgious beliefs?
  • CAFCTrev said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Proof?

Not trying to troll you mate, but what do think atheism is?
    a lack of faith and rejection of religion. Unfortunately there are some that still use their lack of faith as a form of superiority over others in the same way that some religious people do. Thus creating an infuriating cycle of irony.
  • I just think we need to be careful. Regardless of what people may or may not believe, there are nutjobs about in the world quite clearly who can clearly react in heinous ways to comments in the public domain. Lets just remember this is a public forum.

The freedom of speech thing is interesting. I was bought up to show respect to all people regardless of their colour, ethnic background, religion. We may have freedom of speech, but that doesn't necessarily make it ok to say something that could offend someone else because we can 'say what we want'.
  • All for what, some stupid prophet who didn't exist. Wtf

I tend to agree that it is an unhelpful comment but herein lies part of the problem. Being offended does not and should not provoke rage enough for violence let alone these sick killings. Until Islam can look at and change itself from within to accept that being offended is not licence to commit crimes, issue fatwa's and especially not commit murder.
  • Unfortunately all these people held will die. The 2nd terrorist has chose a kosher shop for a reason no-one is going to walk out unless the police take lethal action.

I hope I am wrong.