Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Norwich Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Everything I was going to write has already been written BUT,the 3 B 's......Buyens,Bulot and Bikey can all just pack their bags and do one,pathetic excuses for professional footballers. They aren't bothered and everything is half arsed,don't want any of them anywhere near the 1st team. Joke decision to keep giving them playing time.
  • Options
    Bikey was a disgrace today looked and played like he couldn't be bothered don't let him near a Charlton shirt again please.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    That performance should put a few more bums on seats on the 18th.
  • Options
    Posting without etc, etc.

The old cliche is that football is a game of two halves. Well for Charlton football is a game of twenty minutes.

First half was awful. Ruddy had nothing to do at all as Vetokele was isolated on his own with nobody really getting up from midfield to support him although Jordan Cousins and to a lesser extent Bulot tried. A rare mistake from Solly then let Norwich in for their first goal and another mix up (Gudmundsson being the main culprit I think) just before half time let Norwich in for a soft second.

Second half Watt came on for Bulot but Norwich had a spell of dominance knocking the ball around and stretching us at will. Jacko was substituted for Harriott and we then had our purple patch as we started running at their defence, something we had not really done up to that point. Watt was played in and finished clinically to make it 2-1. Shortly after that Harriott surged through the middle and Igor finished after a couple of attempts were blocked to equalise. At that point we were in the ascendancy but Norwich brought on wily old campaigner Cameron Jerome and he made a nuisance of himself and converted the one chance he had to score the winner. At that point we had shot our bolt and we never really threatened for the remaining ten minutes or so (including time added on).

For much of the match we were as apathetic and lethargic as we were against Rotherham and looked certainties for relegation as there was no goal threat whatsoever. However that twenty minute spell gave a glimmer of hope which was extinguished as quickly as it arose.

Dimitrovic looked distinctly shaky in the second half at times flapping and punching in a manner reminiscent of our old friend Thuram. Pope was never that bad in my opinion but there we go.

I fear the worse I'm afraid. Last season team spirit was a large contributor to getting us out of it. We don't seem to have that this year.

Credit to Cousins, Watt, Harriott and Vetokele but the rest were generally poor.
  • Options
    Posting before crying

An absolutely abysmal first half display in which only Jordan Cousins emerged with any credit - and that was more for effort than achievement. Even the hugely dependable Chris Solly was mostly at fault for the first goal.

Tony Watt looked strong, sharp and dangerous when he came on, and Vetokele looked visibly more confident and eager with a decent strike partner alongside him. It was a more spirited second half showing but it was no surprise when Norwich got the winner, and that knocked the stuffing out of the lads. In all honesty, it would have been a travesty if we had taken a point from what was, except for 15 or so second half minutes, a pretty one-sided affair.

First time I've seen the young keeper - shaky. Solly improved after his early blunder but Rhoys was below par and TBH and Bikey both desperately poor. JBG tried harder than some but is such a bottle job in the tackle that he drives me crazy. Jacko, Buyens and Bulot pretty much passengers.

I absolutely hated the booing, ironic cheers and piss taking of our own team by quite a lot of fans. I kind of understand the desire to show our frustration but I don't like Jacko, Solly, Rhoys and Cousins - our stalwarts of better times - getting pelters along with the rest of the gang. They have earned better than that over the years.

Luzon - the prancing prat of Floyd Road. Appears clueless. Tactically inept - the first half reminded me of a typical cup tie when a lower league side are hustling and bustling a far superior team to try to get something from the game.

When will this nightmare be over? I don't know, but we certainly stand more chance of a win if he plays Watt and Igor together from the start against Brentford. Knowing what a prat he is, expect Luzon to start Churchy and Repoint instead.

• Options

Dansk_Red said:

Official 15094 (Approx 2500 Norwich) Actual less than 12000

I reckon the actual was well less than 10k. Looking at the East, I would be astounded if the turnstile count was more than 1,500, and I reckon I'm being generous.
    9,000 Charlton I reckon - someone else told me the east was very sparse, hard to tell when you're in it. Big gaps in the upper north, even in the middle.

Reminded me of Doncaster rearranged when the trains seized up.
  • Options
    Despite the close scoreline we were a gulf apart; with their continuous fluid forward movement Norwich could have been four up at half time with relaxed ease. As usual, we concede possession too cheaply: in the second half Cousins misdirected two simple passes from throw-ins within the space of 90 seconds; typically our 20-yard defensive clearances to the midfield are hoofed agriculturally and miscontrolled on receipt.

Playing only one striker at home betrays a timid lack of ambition. Bikey had a terrible game, error-strewn and lumberingly slow to recover. Buyens failed to stamp any authority, once again. More than a lack of effort, we are short of technical ability all over the pitch.

We have picked up a mere six points from the last 39 available. I have a feeling that Leeds and the Spanners have more stomach for the fight than we do.
  • Options
    Horrible match. Hated the inevitable jeering of the team as it makes for such a toxic atmosphere. Even at 2-2 I struggled to really get into the match which seemed so painful. I still feel we have enough in the team to stay up but just as I was convinced Palace would go down with Warnock I feel that Pardew will keep them up. A manager is so important and Luzon is just not the manager or coach for our club. I can see it only getting worse and the way it is going we will go down. This feels worse than the Parky year as there just is no hope at all. Very down tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two weeks ago we were 7-1 to get relegated ( which i lumped on ) and now we are 11-4 which is still massive odds considering we don't have a win in us.
    Even if you don't like betting on Charlton to lose you might as well go and get yourself some compensation money now before we are odds on to go down.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Posting before crying

An absolutely abysmal first half display in which only Jordan Cousins emerged with any credit - and that was more for effort than achievement. Even the hugely dependable Chris Solly was mostly at fault for the first goal.

Tony Watt looked strong, sharp and dangerous when he came on, and Vetokele looked visibly more confident and eager with a decent strike partner alongside him. It was a more spirited second half showing but it was no surprise when Norwich got the winner, and that knocked the stuffing out of the lads. In all honesty, it would have been a travesty if we had taken a point from what was, except for 15 or so second half minutes, a pretty one-sided affair.

First time I've seen the young keeper - shaky. Solly improved after his early blunder but Rhoys was below par and TBH and Bikey both desperately poor. JBG tried harder than some but is such a bottle job in the tackle that he drives me crazy. Jacko, Buyens and Bulot pretty much passengers.

I absolutely hated the booing, ironic cheers and piss taking of our own team by quite a lot of fans. I kind of understand the desire to show our frustration but I don't like Jacko, Solly, Rhoys and Cousins - our stalwarts of better times - getting pelters along with the rest of the gang. They have earned better than that over the years.

Luzon - the prancing prat of Floyd Road. Appears clueless. Tactically inept - the first half reminded me of a typical cup tie when a lower league side are hustling and bustling a far superior team to try to get something from the game.

When will this nightmare be over? I don't know, but we certainly stand more chance of a win if he plays Watt and Igor together from the start against Brentford. Knowing what a prat he is, expect Luzon to start Churchy and Repoint instead.

IN terms of booing I think it was fair and appropriate for the dross that was served up and they were just as culpable as the others today. There was no fight and the body language as the team walked off at half time was shocking. Our skipper spent most of he time trying to kick people and it made me wonder just how pissed off with the situation is he
  • Options
    Just read what Luzon apparently said after the game;-

"To concede a third so late on was very disappointing, because we deserved to end with either one or three points because the attitude was fantastic"

Who on earth is he kidding?
  • Options
    The players and management and administration at Charlton could maybe ask themselves why the fans are booing. If they come up with any credible and practical way to make the fans feel like cheering instead, maybe they ought to do that.
    If they do nothing the boos will continue apace, and we will all have to get used to them, or stay away.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Posting before crying

IN terms of booing I think it was fair and appropriate for the dross that was served up and they were just as culpable as the others today. There was no fight and the body language as the team walked off at half time was shocking. Our skipper spent most of he time trying to kick people and it made me wonder just how pissed off with the situation is he
    I don't agree. Even if the general booing was understandable, the REAL Charlton guys I mentioned have earned a bit more respect and appreciation through their contributions over past seasons.
  • Options
    Normally i hate it when the fans boo because it only has a negative affect on the team but tonight it was totally and utterly justified in my opinion.
  • Options
    I don't like booing the team - last time I did it I think was under Parky - but the first half was the worst 45 mins I have ever witnessed a CAFC team play. No attempts at goal, No cohesion. Free kicks being played backwards. A 5ft 10 lone striker having balls played to his head when he is being marked by a 6ft 4 defender. to list is endless....

I'm not going to say anymore - just not worth it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

For 90+ minutes we need to do our bit to lift the players - the time to confront RD & co will come. Right now, our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to support our team in its fight to avoid the drop. On matchdays, that should be not only the aim of those who wear the shirt but of those who sit in the home end.

Bless you Fanny, I tried this tonight and, for 20-25 minutes I did my best and kept it going but it's tough. Even though we started well, when you see players completely unmarked and half arsed challenges, it does become difficult not to dish out a bollocking or two. I'll try again on Saturday but, unless miracles happen in the next three days, I can't imagine I'll be too happy clappy come 3:30.

And, contrary to my comments on another thread about players always making effort, Buyens cannot start against Brentford. In fact he should not ever start for us again....
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Posting before crying

I don't agree. Even if the general booing was understandable, the REAL Charlton guys I mentioned have earned a bit more respect and appreciation through their contributions over past seasons.
    Totally with you on this, davo.

We can only guess how their morale has been affected by the constant change of team "mates" as well as managers . I know they are professional footballers and earn a decent crust but they're only human & the last 12 months has surely taken its toll on them.

By all means boo /shout about our owner & if pertinent, our Head Coach but little is served by booing our players IMO.

• Options

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Posting before crying

Totally with you on this, davo.

We can only guess how their morale has been affected by the constant change of team "mates" as well as managers . I know they are professional footballers and earn a decent crust but they're only human & the last 12 months has surely taken its toll on them.

By all means boo /shout about our owner & if pertinent, our Head Coach but little is served by booing our players IMO.

Agree Fanny. We KNOW these guys can play better than they are showing, and that they have real feeling for the club. They are being dragged down by some of the other players around them (not all, IMO) and the farce that is Luzon and the overall mis-management of the club.

The danger is that even our stalwarts will want away if they are all getting tarred with the same brush by disaffected fans.
  • Options
    I was at Birmingham today. Brum were awful and wouldn't have scored if the game had gone on all night. Lloyd Dyer was particularly awful But there was no booing and nobody got on Dyer's back. I know their circumstances have taken a turn for the better but it was quite refreshing.

If Millwall are a side to be relegated then we should be concerned. They were excellent this evening. They've also got a new player on loan, Diego Fabrini who was absolutely outstanding. One of the best performances I've ever seen from a player in the championship.
  • Options

Normally i hate it when the fans boo because it only has a negative affect on the team but tonight it was totally and utterly justified in my opinion.

One of the (many) reasons I've decided not to attend anymore. Have never booed our team (and I've seen some dross over the years), but getting to the point where I really don't think I could contain it any longer.......
  • Options

I was at Birmingham today. Brum were awful and wouldn't have scored if the game had gone on all night. Lloyd Dyer was particularly awful But there was no booing and nobody got on Dyer's back. I know their circumstances have taken a turn for the better but it was quite refreshing.

If Millwall are a side to be relegated then we should be concerned. They were excellent this evening. They've also got a new player on loan, Diego Fabrini who was absolutely outstanding. One of the best performances I've ever seen from a player in the championship.

Millwall are much better away than at home. I suspect that our best chance of a win will be away as well, try and keep it tight, get the home crowd nervy and nick a goal.
  • Options
    So glad this isn't a game i'd been at, especially with my daughter or 'football language' as she calls it, would have been very much in the accendancy. Fair play to those still making the effort, even more so to those without season tickets. To be paying each game to watch this dross must be as infuriating as it is distressing.