Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Norwich Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    The first half performance was embarrassing. We looked a disorganised team. Incapable of passing, incapable of taking making set plays count. What do they practice during the week?
    Sollys mistake led to their first goal and the second somehow from our free kick!! (I’d have to see that again) was greeted predictably by boo’s and “You’re getting sacked in the morning” to our arm waving manager.
    What is all that arm waving about? It looks more like semaphore signals.
    Igor chasing lost causes was about the only bright spot of a first half that can only be described as desperate and the chorus of boos that greeted the half time whistle reflected just how bad we had played.
    Bulots half time substitution was no surprise although not one of the eleven could have complained if they had been withdrawn.
    Watts inclusion breathed life into our second half performance. His run at the Norwich defenders beating two of them gave us some encouragement early in the second half.
    Watts subsequent goal followed by Igors gave us hope that an unlikely win was possible.
    But we all know that Charlton always concede late goals and the rest is history.
    Plus points – Igor and Watt as a combination look capable of scoring the goals that might just save us from relegation.
    Negative – What has happened to Bikey? His all round game looks poor compared to the giant defender of the early season also Buyens needs to up his game.
  • Options
    That wasn't the worst game as a CAFC supporter there were games as bad as that served up by the likes of Dowie, Pardew, Parkinson and to be honest Powell in his first half season. But it was unacceptable and we may need a fith manager...

First 8 mins OK next 37 mins terrible then a mixed period when we scored twice until they brought on Jerome who was always going to score the winner.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

What does Joe Gomez have to do to get game time ? Solly shouldn't be playing two games in three days, Bikey shouldn't be playing full stop yet Gomez sits on the bench.

Not sure I'd want to risk whatever confidence Gomez has by chucking him into this situation.

• Options
    This team seems to be a carbon copy of Blackpool last season. They just about survived, not sure that Charlton will. Last night sounds horrendous.

Luzon doesn't have the squad to change it and he doesn't appear to have the players and definitely the fans onside either.

A couple of months back I really didn't expect to be keeping an eye on the results at the bottom, anticipating mid-table mediocrity. Oh for those days to return!
  • Options
    I can't actually believe how badly we have got, it feels like a nightmare.

We are 3 points off relegation... our team is a shambles. I think back to the Derby home game and I was in the pub afterwards saying how this side could make the play offs... Looking at the table is so sobering it's unreal. We may actually be going back to League 1 and I'm not a negative person when it comes to charlton usually but my god... 16 games left and we are in what looks like a relegation scrap.

A home game and an away game v one of the leagues worst sides, not the hardest set of fixtures by any means. I know Brentford are flying but we could perhaps get a point or a huge slice of luck and get a win. 6 points and things will look a lot better. But right now it feels like the club is going down the shitter. The only reason I don't think it will is because of us fans. One thing I am not looking forward to is losing the likes of Gomez and Cousins at the end of this season but unless there is enormous change I can see it happening.
  • Options
    It has all been said. We are a mess and, it's so difficult for me to say this but, I think we're going down. This regime are sucking the blood out of the club. The glory season of CP's promotion and all the expectations of Cash's money seem a long way away now. Sad.
  • Options

Not much to add to what others have posted except to say that one positive to take from tonight is the promising partnership of Watt & Igor. How long since we had 2 strikers scoring in the same match ? Surely they must both start on Saturday !

Other than that, I echo the view that Buyens is NOT what we need in midfield. So many times I thought he was going to put in a challenge but he didn't. So many times I wondered who he was marking. And so many times he resembled that old favourite- the headless chicken. If only Coquelin could have stayed. With him in the side, our midfield had begun to look decent. So many "if onlys" this season.....

At one point, with what remained of the faithful following Norwich's 2nd goal starting to ramp up the noise, I REALLY felt this could be another Cardiff but alas, it was not meant to be.

So, we move on to Saturday, and Brentford. Another very difficult game of course but one we must get something from if we are to stay above the bottom 3.

3 days remain for GL to work on the positives, the negatives and the morale of this squad of players - we can only hope they are all pulling in the same direction and are up for the fight for survival.

But I also hope that our fans turn out in numbers to support the lads - this is not the time or place to show our displeasure with the way our Club is being managed ( or should that be mismanaged ? ) For 90+ minutes we need to do our bit to lift the players - the time to confront RD & co will come. Right now, our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to support our team in its fight to avoid the drop. On matchdays, that should be not only the aim of those who wear the shirt but of those who sit in the home areas.

PLEASE try to keep the faith a bit longer.

Great post Fanny my sentiments exactly.
    Need to get behind the boys and as you say RD and co time will come.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Let's be honest, apart from 20mins in the 2nd half we looked absolutely dreadful. Any team from any league could have beaten us. We have no organisation, no movement, no spirit, no confidence, no nothing. I was always going to give Luzon the benefit of the doubt. I somehow thought that the way he liked to play the game might have suited us. But having seen the two home games he's been in charge, nah. I make the covered end choir right, he don't know what he's doing. I fear for the future and we're only heading in one direction. I now know what it must feel like to be a Portsmouth supporter. Things have to change before it's too late.
  • Options
    Well I'm a season ticket holder and still haven't seen us lose at home this season...

But it doesn't sound like me turning up will turn that around

Painful to see and say but it's tempting to put as much spare cash as you have on us getting relegated because we all know it's gonna happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good points; Tony watt, Jordan cousins, vetokele getting a goal, that time in the game when we thought we could get a point from this. Bad points; no tactics, no strategy, no battle plan whatever it is called they did not play as a team; they (most) are good players but none of them knew what they were supposed to be doing. Enough said. I don't want to envisage the last day of the season at present. The ways to improve things is to re-group the defence , use other players (why not) and start watt every game. The midfield needs more quality as we are giving the ball away far far too easily by panicking. Luzon needs to get a grip.
  • Options
    Looked like a team of Sunday league players who've never met before. Bikey a shambles, I never want to see Buyens play for us again.

Bikey taking a free kick 40 yards out because no one else looked interested summed it up for me. God knows what goes on in training.
  • Options
    It just gets worse week after week. The goals we are shipping are shameful and it is just so easy for the opposition to score against us. Sadly it looks as though we will beat that losing run under Parkinson comfortably. Relegation is a certainty unless something drastic changes which I can't see happening. The biggest concern then is that any decent players we do actually have will be got rid of and replaced with more imports who are of an even worse standard than we have now. That could well mean another relegation from League 1. The downward spiral is back and it is in full flow!

How the hell can we reverse it? Don't see any answers to that question at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Fumbluff said:

Fumbluff said:

Things must be bad when I'm looking at Roger Johnson for hope.

We normally look to you for hope Gary
    After watching that I'm struggling.
    Probs leaves @cafcnick1992 on his own then in his shiny new seat :smile:
    I said last week I've given up trying to defend RD and the non-footballing people upstairs.

I will always try and give the manager a fair crack. I''ll always try and defend the players if they are giving their all and I can accept some players just aren't that good, but last night in the first half our players hid. That's something nobody can defend.
  • Options

Not much to add to what others have posted except to say that one positive to take from tonight is the promising partnership of Watt & Igor. How long since we had 2 strikers scoring in the same match ? Surely they must both start on Saturday !

Other than that, I echo the view that Buyens is NOT what we need in midfield. So many times I thought he was going to put in a challenge but he didn't. So many times I wondered who he was marking. And so many times he resembled that old favourite- the headless chicken. If only Coquelin could have stayed. With him in the side, our midfield had begun to look decent. So many "if onlys" this season.....

At one point, with what remained of the faithful following Norwich's 2nd goal starting to ramp up the noise, I REALLY felt this could be another Cardiff but alas, it was not meant to be.

So, we move on to Saturday, and Brentford. Another very difficult game of course but one we must get something from if we are to stay above the bottom 3.

3 days remain for GL to work on the positives, the negatives and the morale of this squad of players - we can only hope they are all pulling in the same direction and are up for the fight for survival.

But I also hope that our fans turn out in numbers to support the lads - this is not the time or place to show our displeasure with the way our Club is being managed ( or should that be mismanaged ? ) For 90+ minutes we need to do our bit to lift the players - the time to confront RD & co will come. Right now, our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to support our team in its fight to avoid the drop. On matchdays, that should be not only the aim of those who wear the shirt but of those who sit in the home areas.

PLEASE try to keep the faith a bit longer.

Great post Fanny my sentiments exactly.
    Need to get behind the boys and as you say RD and co time will come.
    Personally I'm still there and will be again FF. You are right that we need to continue to do our bit and get behind the players on match days, but if performances continue to be like that then it will be damn tough. Unfortunately, I think there is so much anger toward the current set up, the slightest misplaced pass is ripe for a 'boo' or a moan at the moment.

Then it snowballs and we end up with a poor performance. I hope come Saturday the few positives like Watt will help us put the game behind us and produce a result that we all deserve, but I feel we are rudderless and lack a leader, and can't see anything changing in 3 days :(

I hope to be proved wrong and your faith and hope is rewarded.
  • Options

First half performance was worst of the season and f*cking terrible decision to start with a lone striker at home. I can't even praise Luzon for changing it at half time as it shouldn't have even reached that point. Brace yourself for the relegation battle

Sums it up for me, igor and watt have to start Saturday
  • Options
    It's all been said about the game. Moving on:

The new centre half needs to get himself ready for action because surely he's got to be rested (and sent to Weight Watchers). Solly's bad game was hopefully a one off but Wiggin's form is very concerning although I'd still have him over Fox. If Henderson's fit he should also be reintroduced.

KEEP COUSINS IN THE MIDDLE !!! His winning of the ball and energy was effective and his distribution will improve the more he plays there. Put a quality attacking midfielder alongside him and Watt and Vetokele can be fed early and in space - they will do damage. Having a strong centre mid also means the opposition cannot load up on Gudmundsson allowing him to create more. Harriott on the left feels right to me. Buyens has been a passenger for too long now.

So, in the loan window concentrate on 1) quality attacking midfielder, 2) hold up man to give us an option, particularly if we need to play one up front, 3) possibly a left back although I've not completely lost faith in Wiggins. I wish Gomez was left footed.

The next 3 or 4 games are really key now. If we don't turn it around then I fear we're down but there were enough pointers in that 20 min spell as to what the solutions are. Will Luzon correctly act on them............?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was like a training drill in the first half for Norwich where they try to emulate proper match situations against whoever else is at the training ground.
  • Options
    The referee did his bit to turn that into a training game by blowing up for the slightest thing and then dishing out daft bookings. The one bloke who deserved cards was their beardie fella on the right (Johnson?) but he escaped a second yellow when he had a bit of a dive near our penalty area in the second half.

Ps...I've said all along that Bikey can't head. His timing is awful. Time for Roger Johnson irrespective of fitness and maybe a 3-5-2 to allow us to play both strikers and at least get some bodies higher up the pitch.
  • Options
    The worst thing for me last night was that thinking about the game I could not visualise any wayu that we could win it. Next was that even if we did replace this weeks Coach, all we would get would be another yes man while our football genius owner was busy writing all he knows about football on the back of a postage stamp.
  • Options
    Time to bring back curbs the players don't want to play for Luzon.if not manager director of football or some shit they want to call it. This guy fella needs help to sort this mess out. Don't think his got the experience to cope with championship football and the players don't believe in him. There's no way a team should go from not losing for 17 games to not winning for 15 games.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thought it was a shambles. Didn't really press for our two goals and more down to Norwich being poor defensively - then when 2 all, we are probably the only side that doesn't look for a winner. What was telling, just before their goal we had a corner, Bikey was calling Ben Haim forward but he stayed back! Was a shambles- 11 individuals not playing as a team. Duchatelet has surpassed himself in the inept way he runs the club - someby trying to destroy us couldn't have done better!
  • Options
    Looking back, I didn't bother celebrating Watts goal last night and even stayed in my seat when Igor struck the equaliser. I just turned to my son and said 'we'll still lose this'. I've never been such a passive and negative supporter. What has happened?