Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• cafcfan said:

I think there is a fix around here. I have not met or spoken to a single person in sittingbourne and sheppey that was voting conservatives, Gordon Henderson has been publically ridiculed and he's posters have been knocked down and/or defaced all over the place but yet he holds?

I expect all the Conservative voters were too busy commuting to their jobs in London to talk to anyone about who they were voting for. Rather typical that anti-Tories have the time to go around defacing posters rather than actually doing any work.
    Are you suggesting that all the people I speak to don't work? I have very few friends that don't work and even those that don't have a partner that does.
  • se9addick said:

I suppose it's down to choice Bournemouth. I try and take everything on merit.

I think near enough everyone accepted spending had got out of control and the size and growing rate of debt was becoming a very serious issue. Most people want 'something to be done' but most people also want that 'something to be done' not to impact them.

Personally I'd rather suffer a little impact now which hopefully addresses the situation than see the potential impact being far far greater when my children are older and very serious austerity would have to be enforced.

Just my view, and I'm a public sector worker whose family rely on public services more than most, and who also wants us to stayin Europe. I've no doubt I would probably be better off under a Labour rule, but countries thrive better on strong and secure governments, and that current Labour administration I believe is a poor one currently not strong enough to govern. They haven't proved themselves in any way of being more capable than the current incumbent. They now have five years to address that.

The Consertive grip of the house and nation will be marginal, so any underperformance will lead to an outing at the next election with no major damage done in rule as they never had a strong enough mandate to carry through any major change.

I'm grateful though as an Englishman that this currently looks the best result for England, though as a big supporter of the Union I think the amazing result in Scotland effectively tears up the UK in future years.

The share of the vote in Scotland hasn't dramatically changed since the referendum.

No, but there is serious momentum under Sturgeon who is proving herself as a very effective politician that Scottish people are buying into. I can only see it going one way under her reign, particularly as a Con rule of Uk house is less likely to be as beneficial to Scotland

• Balls GONE!
  • Balls gone - Good riddance!
  • Ed Balls is out

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

The night gets better and better
  • Kids please don't abuse the Flag button, it just creates unnecessary work, ta

I decided to flag Leuth's purely because I thought the mods should be aware someone was about to be a massive pain in the backside for them. Cheers for the quick response.

As I said before, we're all Charlton, try not to get upset, it's not like it's over something important like football :)
  • Balls Up
  • It's hard to tell what's genuine concern, over exaggeration or sour grapes.

Can't speak for others but having worked in the public sector for nearly 30 years, under Tory, Labour, Coaltion and now looking like Tory again I have seen the effects first hand and even now there are elements within local government that have been hit so hard by the austerity policy they are barely functioning. If in 18 months time, if you haven't seen the effects for yourself you can count yourself very fortunate.

I know for a fact there are current local authority functions canvessing, as of today, to be removed from council control because they recognise the budgetary cuts they face mean it's that...or ceasing to provide any meaningful service.

I'm aware others will see it differently and I genuinely hope you never have need of assistance for a problem, whether it's social services, housing or something less critical only to find it's not available.
  • cafcfan said:

Balls GONE!

And jenkyns looked like a smug bitch too
  • Sponsored links:

• Balls out - hooray!!!
  • se9addick said:

I suppose it's down to choice Bournemouth. I try and take everything on merit.

I think near enough everyone accepted spending had got out of control and the size and growing rate of debt was becoming a very serious issue. Most people want 'something to be done' but most people also want that 'something to be done' not to impact them.

Personally I'd rather suffer a little impact now which hopefully addresses the situation than see the potential impact being far far greater when my children are older and very serious austerity would have to be enforced.

Just my view, and I'm a public sector worker whose family rely on public services more than most, and who also wants us to stayin Europe. I've no doubt I would probably be better off under a Labour rule, but countries thrive better on strong and secure governments, and that current Labour administration I believe is a poor one currently not strong enough to govern. They haven't proved themselves in any way of being more capable than the current incumbent. They now have five years to address that.

The Consertive grip of the house and nation will be marginal, so any underperformance will lead to an outing at the next election with no major damage done in rule as they never had a strong enough mandate to carry through any major change.

I'm grateful though as an Englishman that this currently looks the best result for England, though as a big supporter of the Union I think the amazing result in Scotland effectively tears up the UK in future years.

The share of the vote in Scotland hasn't dramatically changed since the referendum.

No, but there is serious momentum under Sturgeon who is proving herself as a very effective politician that Scottish people are buying into. I can only see it going one way under her reign, particularly as a Con rule of Uk house is less likely to be as beneficial to Scotland

Presumably if the second referendum is in favour of independence then it'll have to be settled by a third and/or a civil war ?
  • More Michael Gove, Boris marginalised tho.
    The dream of home ownership is on for a young person leaving care this year in Catford, earning the minimum wage on a zero hours contract at Argos, and renting a studio flat from a private landlord for £800 per month.

Not.
  • brogib said:

Any idea why looking at the overall England picture that the Conservatives have done relatively poorly in London ?

Maybe they've seen what I've seen. There is evil in the air.
    Evil? You sure
    Tories have become ISIS, or maybe the word "evil" needs to be redefined.

• Balls defeated
  • It's hard to tell what's genuine concern, over exaggeration or sour grapes.

Oh, trust me, it's genuine fucking concern
  • cafcfan said:

Balls GONE!

Now, now, SJ, you'd be one of the first people on here citing sexism if a bloke had said that! If you want to see smug - even in defeat - just look at Ed Balls' face! He'll also be Yvette's bitch now.
  • Balls beaten but still can't shut up. Tosser!
  • Labour have been castrated.
  • Thing is most of middle England can't win.

The Tories are the champions of cuts to public services which doesn't affect the well off. They do though encourage us all to get richer, in reality though it's mainly those who have money that this happens to.

Labour with in their social stance give too much away to the work shy and pisstakers, like benefits are going out of fashion.

Lose Lose then.

• Sponsored links:

• Where were you when Balls dropped?
  • Ed Balls
  • If you pardon the the pun Ed 'Balls' up
  • cafcfan said:

Balls GONE!

Come on Sadie this isnt you. You are just getting rude and abusive now. There is such a thing as taking defeat with grace (which most Labour candidates have done to be fair).
  • Any idea why looking at the overall England picture that the Conservatives have done relatively poorly in London ?

Demographics that favour Labour, ethnically diverse, young, many renters rather than home owners. Similar reasons as to why Labour won Norwich South, Cambridge, Hove & Bristol West.
  • Fiiish said:

Kids please don't abuse the Flag button, it just creates unnecessary work, ta

I decided to flag Leuth's purely because I thought the mods should be aware someone was about to be a massive pain in the backside for them. Cheers for the quick response.

As I said before, we're all Charlton, try not to get upset, it's not like it's over something important like football :)
    if you don't want flags, don't be a complete arsehole about others' voting choices, especially if they've been up all night and are both sleep-deprived and unusually irascible
  • Leuth said:

Fiiish said:

Kids please don't abuse the Flag button, it just creates unnecessary work, ta

if you don't want flags, don't be a complete arsehole about others' voting choices, especially if they've been up all night and are both sleep-deprived and unusually irascible
    So why aren't you flagging all the people saying everyone who votes Tory is either stupid or evil?

Why don't you get some sleep old bean? It's been a long night.

I wasn't referencing anyone on here when I was talking about hipsters in London by the way, it's mainly that London is the hipster capital of Europe and hipsters tend to swing towards Green and Labour. I don't hold it against anyone here for voting Labour, they all had genuine reasons and convictions to do so.
  • Fiiish said:

Leuth said:

Going to pursue an aggressive policy of flagging Fiiish whenever he says something disgusting and derogatory now that the fun and games of the election preamble is over and we're up shit creek

Calm down sunshine, here's some ELO to cheer you up :smiley:

https://youtu.be/bjPqsDU0j2I
    Fiish - You are a self absorbed (people are always " obsessed " with you LOL) sad little Tory Boy Troll (you delight in mixing it) who belittles and shouts down others opinion with pseudo analysis which shows your complete lack of life experience or intellect.

If the Labour Party had a percentage point for each of your vitriolic posts they would have romped home. Your little speech about how you have had an interesting debate on this post was laughable - your constant assertion that Labour supporters are apologists is frankly insulting and your claim that everyone else " throws abuse" equally so since it is always you that starts being unpleasant and insulting - A little projection I think.

So Fiish - Shut the hell up!
  • Berlin is the hipster capital of Europe, but you wouldn't know that, darling