Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people moaning (not on here) are also in the 33-35% of the population who didn't bother even turning out to vote
  • Addicted said:

Ha, thought this thread was bitter but just been on facebook and the amount of aggression and whinging seems to be far more widespread than I originally thought. It would be more amusing if it wasnt grown adults lacking any humility.

Even seen people claiming that there's been some form of cheating/rigging, get a grip!

The funny thing is that if this had swung the other way and Labour had done a lot better then I imagine the people now hurling abuse would be far less bitter. Grown men and women throwing their toys out of the pram.
  • Does anyone know how the % of the vote ( ie UKIP 3m / SNP 1.5m) would look if applied to all parties and the 650 seats ?
  • Just to share my favorite FB post so far:

"Standard political post..... Blah blah blah. Me and *name* spent the evening in a strip club"
  • But in mine I have seen it flourish it's the use of the word destruction I am laughing at

You might not get much work out of Milan after an EU referendum

That's what concerns me the most about a Tory government
    Leaving a political union does not preclude trading with other countries.
  • Weren't the lefties telling us to vote and be positive and not listen to negative campaigning? Now it's all "Tories will end the nhs" "Tories will let people die" etc etc.

The nhs will still be around in 5 years,
    I garuntee it.

Just a lot less hospitals and A and E's
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015
  • Three leadership resignations within 12 hours?

Though can see Farage trying to cling onto his leadership after he loses.

Clegg and Miliband resigning is a foregone conclusion.

Farage will lose as an individual but the UKIP vote share has considerably improved countrywide.

On that basis he could arguably continue.

Ultimately it depends on his individual wishes.
  • It's hard to tell what's genuine concern, over exaggeration or sour grapes.

Can't speak for others but having worked in the public sector for nearly 30 years, under Tory, Labour, Coaltion and now looking like Tory again I have seen the effects first hand and even now there are elements within local government that have been hit so hard by the austerity policy they are barely functioning. If in 18 months time, if you haven't seen the effects for yourself you can count yourself very fortunate.

I know for a fact there are current local authority functions canvessing, as of today, to be removed from council control because they recognise the budgetary cuts they face mean it's that...or ceasing to provide any meaningful service.

I'm aware others will see it differently and I genuinely hope you never have need of assistance for a problem, whether it's social services, housing or something less critical only to find it's not available.
    Yeah, not sure who found my post sufficiently funny to give it a LOL (thanks anyway I need to keep my count up).

Sadly I don't share the joke when I've seen good people doing a good and necessary job laid off during the last administration with budget cuts to some frontline services already at 75-80%.

Put yourself in the position of a social worker of my acquaintance faced with making the decision of whether to leave a child in the home but with increased supervision and support (approx cost around £10k) or removing that child into care (around £200k per annum I'm told). The obvious choices are easy to justify when they are sitting in front of their boss but it's not so easy when you're faced with more difficult cases and being forced to factor in whether there's any money left in the budget. Hilarious eh? Would you want to make that call?

Again I make NO apology for pointing out that our public services will be significantly worse in five years time than they already are but accept that others more ignorant of the effects think differently.
    As someone who works in central govt, I'd say we face exactly the same problems. Cuts, leading to poorer service, inefficiencies, and demoralisation. Claims that they will cut bureaucracy are laughable as more and more time is wasted trying to work out how to deliver services with less resource and ever stringent hurdles are placed on operations. For those that think it's a lolling matter, watch this space.
  • And this is why Miliband's anti Islamophobia policy was so dangerous -
    40 percent of the Muslim population want Sharia law introduced into the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510866/Poll-reveals-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html

Until such time that Islam reforms and moves into the modern age rather than the stone age, the people of the UK have very good reason to be afraid, very afraid.

Another ridiculous post from an ex-pat commenting on an election that doesn't concern them.

• I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people moaning (not on here) are also in the 33-35% of the population who didn't bother even turning out to vote

72% turnout in 'my' seat and 36,000 Conservative majority
  • Nobody wants to see anyone suffering, however like me, many voters think that if we get the economy working well, everything else will follow. Clearly, voters thought that Labour could not be trusted with the economy.
  • edited May 2015
    SE Postcode area completely red...i'll take any consolation i can...
  • edited May 2015
    </ <blockquote class="UserQuote">
    SE9 said:

Przemek De Skuba Skwirczynski is an unexpected name for a UKIP candidate...

Again why?

Because it's normally Scuba
  • C_A_F_C said:

SE Postcode area completely red...i'll take any consolation i can...

Good on South East London
  • Without wishing to appear above it all, I observe that the vast majority of voters either, A) Vote against their best interests, (for reference, see Thomas Frank's "What's the matter with Kansas"), or B) Vote to keep what they have already accumulated in terms of material gain and/or power. Obviously, in both cases, fear is the underlying impetus. The only instance where communal good seems the primary motivator is in very small groups or communities numbered between 10 - 100. Sadly, I cannot see anything improving, indeed, with today's outcome, voting criteria A or B, plus a heavy dose of fear becomes further evident.
  • Sponsored links:

• The silent majority have spoken again. Never in doubt.
  • Stig said:

It's hard to tell what's genuine concern, over exaggeration or sour grapes.

Can't speak for others but having worked in the public sector for nearly 30 years, under Tory, Labour, Coaltion and now looking like Tory again I have seen the effects first hand and even now there are elements within local government that have been hit so hard by the austerity policy they are barely functioning. If in 18 months time, if you haven't seen the effects for yourself you can count yourself very fortunate.

I know for a fact there are current local authority functions canvessing, as of today, to be removed from council control because they recognise the budgetary cuts they face mean it's that...or ceasing to provide any meaningful service.

I'm aware others will see it differently and I genuinely hope you never have need of assistance for a problem, whether it's social services, housing or something less critical only to find it's not available.
    Yeah, not sure who found my post sufficiently funny to give it a LOL (thanks anyway I need to keep my count up).

Sadly I don't share the joke when I've seen good people doing a good and necessary job laid off during the last administration with budget cuts to some frontline services already at 75-80%.

Put yourself in the position of a social worker of my acquaintance faced with making the decision of whether to leave a child in the home but with increased supervision and support (approx cost around £10k) or removing that child into care (around £200k per annum I'm told). The obvious choices are easy to justify when they are sitting in front of their boss but it's not so easy when you're faced with more difficult cases and being forced to factor in whether there's any money left in the budget. Hilarious eh? Would you want to make that call?

Again I make NO apology for pointing out that our public services will be significantly worse in five years time than they already are but accept that others more ignorant of the effects think differently.
    As someone who works in central govt, I'd say we face exactly the same problems. Cuts, leading to poorer service, inefficiencies, and demoralisation. Claims that they will cut bureaucracy are laughable as more and more time is wasted trying to work out how to deliver services with less resource and ever stringent hurdles are placed on operations. For those that think it's a lolling matter, watch this space.
    Fair enough. But how would any of that been any better under a Labour government that is now just hours into a new day in complete disarray?
    How could a party that was hours from leading the country find itself imploding?
    Plenty of suggestions from their people on the news channels saying "we should have done this" or "why didn't we do that".
    I've not heard one genuine endorsement for Miliband from any of their people. No real clambering for him to stay. It wasn't even close.
    Labour were nowhere near ready to Govern.

• So if the Torys will kill off the NHS why is it in such a shit state in Wales ? the WHOLE NHS budget is devolved !! The Torys have no say in where that money goes or how the budget is spent.

new hospitals, surgerys, schools , houses will have to be built by someone to accommodate the 300+ plus newcomers every year--------actually then SNP dont see this as an issue so why not offer all the newcomers free transport to Nicolas door ?
  • Now we can be sure that unless you live in parts of the north East or North West
    or parts of London the Left wing Labour Party can't get elected.

Only a New Labour in the centre had any chance, and David Miliband would have filled this role. (the union vote won it for ED)

The Left wing SNP helped The Tories Win.(what a paradox)
    How big an own goal was Ed Miliband Standing shoulder to shoulder with Cameron To Defeat the SNP in the referendum. (The Scots have always detested the English preaching to them)

Yet again the 1st past the post shows that even if you win 12% of the National votes you may only win 2 seats at most(UKIP)

• ...Fair enough. But how would any of that been any better under a Labour ...?

Not saying it would, it was shit before. It just got shittier in the last five years.
  • "preaching to them" !! how ? they already have their own Parliament--they OWN and control the budget for the NHS in Scotland---yet it didnt stop them repeating the lie vote for SNP to protect their NHS---they already do and its feck all to do with Westminster or the Torys/Labour governments when it goes wrong.

Boris wont be Mayor shortly
    Millitwat will stand down
    Clegg will stand down
    Cameron wont stand for head of the Torys for a third term

in 5 years who knows who will be in charge.

• Interesting stuff from Nigel Farage walking along the Prom in Margate.
    He feels that the UKIP will be the party for the younger radical voter
    Who will campaign for the end of first pass the Post.
    4 million people should have more than 1 seat to show for their efforts ?

Will we see the demise of 3 Leaders today ?

Nigel,Nick and ED ?

Thanet south Result coming up soon.
  • Redskin said:

And this is why Miliband's anti Islamophobia policy was so dangerous -
    40 percent of the Muslim population want Sharia law introduced into the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510866/Poll-reveals-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html

Until such time that Islam reforms and moves into the modern age rather than the stone age, the people of the UK have very good reason to be afraid, very afraid.

Another ridiculous post from an ex-pat commenting on an election that doesn't concern them.

Oh really! FYI I am still a British Citizen, the majority of my family still lives in England. My wife (a muslim herself) worked in the NHS in Chelsea until last November. Please don't tell me I can't comment on something that concerns me greatly.

• The NHS in Wales is not 'shit' and the funding for social care has been protected there much more than in England so it's never been a case of apples with apples.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26975376
  • See ya later Nige!