Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• I hope Russell Brand has a moment of reflection that his level of followers on Twitter and whatever social media outlet doesn't mean that he is as popular as he and others believe, a high level of those probably only follow him to see what lying bullshit he will speak next, his swing from don't vote to vote millband probably contributed to the failure of labour

Surely one of the key problems that moron brand has is that he urged everyone to not vote.... And then to vote labour.... After the deadline for electoral registration had passed...
  • Shut the door on your way out Farage
  • Farage won't resign - or if he does it'll only be in name, he'll still be the mouthpiece and poster boy for UKIP
  • See you later you racist twat. Hope the door smashes your back on the way out.
  • Yes Farage out, but another one dignified in defeat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad Farage didn't win, however delivered a 27% rise in UKIP vote for that constituency and winning a 32.4% share of a vote is a fair achievement imo
  • Glad Farage didn't win

you won't be saying that if he rolls up at your place ;-)

• It will be interesting to revisit this thread in 2 years to see if any of the 'opinions' on the Cons have changed.
    Good luck everyone.
  • Doesn't feel like a very "united" Kingdom today given that the new ruling party failed to win Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or the capital of England
  • I don't like UKIP almost as much as I hate Tories but there is something seriously wrong with a system that wins so many votes but is left with nothing.

This was on Twitter.

If seats translated to vote % share:

Con 234
    Lab 200
    SNP 34
    LD 51
    UKIP 81
    GRN 24
    I would have been happy with that
  • I don't like UKIP almost as much as I hate Tories but there is something seriously wrong with a system that wins so many votes but is left with nothing.

One of the positives from this election is that this should become a big talking point. Not very democratic when UKIP achieved far more votes than the SNP and the Greens almost as many yet it's a landslide when looking at the numbers of seats.
  • edited May 2015
    Two positives to come our of this election. UKIP get only one seat and Farage will not be able to steal our money in parliament the way he steals it in the EC. The other is that maybe Labour will stop trying to be Tory-lite. I hope David Milliband takes over from his brother.
    I think as a 55 yr old who's business has collapsed due to so-called "austerity" I can expect 12-15 yrs of JSA before a state pension, if there is one. It doesnt feel great to be on the scrapheap with a nothing but poverty to look forward to.

Maybe a system like Israel? Which has PR and has just spent over three months trying to cobble together a government?

under AV we'd probably be looking at a ukip + conservative coalition anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Unfortunately for UKIP they will disappear now. The party like it or not was Farage - the rest are a bunch of loons.
    Their main stick was Europe and immigration, the Tories will now take that discussion forward.
  • Tories now officially have the effective majority of 323, since Sinn Fein and Speaker MPs do not vote. 3 away from the magic number but absolutely astounding.

It seemed that everyone of all stripes said that the exit poll could not be correct - most people thought the Tory number would drop drastically. The fact that it has continued to rise is unbelievable. I can understand why Labour voters are so bitter - the exit poll was already a catastrophe and there was reasonable belief that Labour's share would rise, yet as the night progressed the reality set in and in fact defied everyone's expectations. Tories were expecting to get around 280 seats, the exit poll predicted just short of a majority and now they're on course for an actual majority. You can't blame them for being jubilant, this is their best result since 1992, possibly even better in terms of the sheer scale of the task.

Business resumes as usual.
  • See you later you racist twat. Hope the door smashes your back on the way out.

Why did Nigel Farage talk up the Commonwealth if he's a Racist ?
    I heard him say that the People of India, West indies etc
    had every right to be here ?

Talking to people who voted UKIP i was surprised that they were such a mix.
    Anti The EU, and pro the old Commonwealth, Plus people who may have voted for the EDL or NF in the past, so a very broad church i would say.

Picking and choosing who can and cant be here based on race, nationality and/or religion is certainly prejudiced in any logical way in my book.
  • cafcfan said:

I don't like UKIP almost as much as I hate Tories but there is something seriously wrong with a system that wins so many votes but is left with nothing.

Maybe a system like Israel? Which has PR and has just spent over three months trying to cobble together a government?
    I think we should abolish the House of Lords and have an upper chamber elected nationally on a PR basis.
  • se9addick said:

Doesn't feel like a very "united" Kingdom today given that the new ruling party failed to win Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or the capital of England

Agree to an extent (Scotland and NI), but look at England and Wales and i don't think i have ever seen that political map look more than one colour.
  • cafcfan said:

I don't like UKIP almost as much as I hate Tories but there is something seriously wrong with a system that wins so many votes but is left with nothing.

And what about the many other countries that implement it?

Hardly surprising that a staunch Tory supporter would be against it.
  • I suppose it's down to choice Bournemouth. I try and take everything on merit.

I think near enough everyone accepted spending had got out of control and the size and growing rate of debt was becoming a very serious issue. Most people want 'something to be done' but most people also want that 'something to be done' not to impact them.

Personally I'd rather suffer a little impact now which hopefully addresses the situation than see the potential impact being far far greater when my children are older and very serious austerity would have to be enforced.

Just my view, and I'm a public sector worker whose family rely on public services more than most, and who also wants us to stayin Europe. I've no doubt I would probably be better off under a Labour rule, but countries thrive better on strong and secure governments, and that current Labour administration I believe is a poor one currently not strong enough to govern. They haven't proved themselves in any way of being more capable than the current incumbent. They now have five years to address that.

The Consertive grip of the house and nation will be marginal, so any underperformance will lead to an outing at the next election with no major damage done in rule as they never had a strong enough mandate to carry through any major change.

I'm grateful though as an Englishman that this currently looks the best result for England, though as a big supporter of the Union I think the amazing result in Scotland effectively tears up the UK in future years.

Good piece AFKA, although there is no-one to keep them in check this time, seemingly.
    Will their now more powerful backbenchers make them more right wing tho?
  • Huskaris said:

Don't worry. Anyone who is concerned with the state of the NHS in England can go and live in Wales, where its Labour controlled :-)... You really won't want to get Ill there.

Loving the digs, proves to me how irrational and childish a very large proportion of left wingers are. Screech and infantilise a situation all you want, the grown ups are in charge.

You see the irony in this comment, right?
  • Farage = the most expensively polished turd in British politics.

At least the odious Richard Desmond loses out as the result of Nige's failure