Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• You cant compare SNP to UKIP, one is a concentrated party in a small part of the UK the other is national and spread mofe thinly.

Can't see scotland staying in after that kind of landslide for a party whose principal aim is to leave the UK. It is in effect a second referendum.
  • se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

I don't like UKIP almost as much as I hate Tories but there is something seriously wrong with a system that wins so many votes but is left with nothing.

Maybe a system like Israel? Which has PR and has just spent over three months trying to cobble together a government?
    I think we should abolish the House of Lords and have an upper chamber elected nationally on a PR basis.
    An interesting idea. But would the electorate have the stomach for yet another election? Many can't be bothered with the one we have.
    Elected members would also (I guess?) require some form of proper remuneration rather than the £300 a day attendance allowance.
  • cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

I don't like UKIP almost as much as I hate Tories but there is something seriously wrong with a system that wins so many votes but is left with nothing.

Maybe a system like Israel? Which has PR and has just spent over three months trying to cobble together a government?
    I think we should abolish the House of Lords and have an upper chamber elected nationally on a PR basis.
    An interesting idea. But would the electorate have the stomach for yet another election? Many can't be bothered with the one we have.
    Elected members would also (I guess?) require some form of proper remuneration rather than the £300 a day attendance allowance.
    I would hold both votes at the same time, so at a general election you vote for your local MP in the House of Commons and a party in the upper house.

You're right there would be a cost, but if you had, say 312 members of the upper house (half the number of the lower house) on a similar salary to current MP's then it wouldn't be prohibitive.
  • edited May 2015
    brogib said:

Yes Farage out, but another one dignified in defeat.

Agreed and Ed Balls even thanked the Tory victor for a clean contest.
    Maybe that the time we show our true selves when we are on the floor
    and our Ego's have been deflated.

• Nigel has gone......or has he?
  • Nigel has gone......or has he?

Looks like he might be back at some point.

• Clegg gone
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes but 63% of the country wanted different things and until they find a way to either put aside some bias towards other views then this will always be the way

If we only had 2 or 3 parties then it would not happen
  • edited May 2015
    Fiiish said:

I voted for labour.

However, I would still rather live in this country under a conservative government than in any other country in the world.

I hope they do well and allow this country to prosper.

Why would anyone want any different?

One of the best posts on this thread.

Seen a lot of people saying they're ashamed to be British. Why? Because millions of people went out and exercised their vote?
  • 37% vote for the Tories, meaning that 63% of the population did not want them. Yet they will have a majority of over 50% of the seats.

FPTP is a terrible system and we need an overhaul now that it isn't a 2/3 party system.

I love the creative maths that goes on once a party has lost.

only 66% of the eligible population bothered to vote therefore if at worst only 44.2% of those eligible to vote didn't want the Tories.

The Tories on the other hand, as things stand at the moment, have 323 seats out of 650 which gives them 49.7% of the seats available. Not such a big difference after all but lets not let facts get in the way of left wing sour garpes.
  • Fiiish said:

I voted for labour.

However, I would still rather live in this country under a conservative government than in any other country in the world.

Seen a lot of people saying they're ashamed to be British. Why? Because millions of people went out and exercised their vote?
    Why don't you just fuck off you insufferable obnoxious twat!
    Oh dear.
  • Fiiish said:

I voted for labour.

That's way, way over the top.

Reading through this thread at times you can see why AFKA initially said he was wary of having a politics discussion,
  • edited May 2015

Redskin said:

And this is why Miliband's anti Islamophobia policy was so dangerous -
    40 percent of the Muslim population want Sharia law introduced into the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510866/Poll-reveals-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html

Until such time that Islam reforms and moves into the modern age rather than the stone age, the people of the UK have very good reason to be afraid, very afraid.

Another ridiculous post from an ex-pat commenting on an election that doesn't concern them.

Oh really! FYI I am still a British Citizen, the majority of my family still lives in England. My wife (a muslim herself) worked in the NHS in Chelsea until last November. Please don't tell me I can't comment on something that concerns me greatly.

But your concerns are abstract ones:the ramifications of this election will have little,if any,impact on the life you have chosen to live in Australia,and the fact that your wife is muslim doesn't preclude the comment of yours I highlighted - lamely backed up by a ten year old article - being ridiculous.
    Anyway, congratulations on your victory and throw another shrimp on the barbie or whatever it is you people do down there for me.

• Fiiish said:

I voted for labour.

Too much that
  • Fiiish said:

I voted for labour.

Sour grapes much....
  • Haha, knew Farage couldn't resist returning as the main man in Ukip for the EU referendum in 2017.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015

Fiiish said:

I voted for labour.

Go take a look on the chips thread. With portions of only 14, maybe we could use some of the ones off your shoulder ;)
  • JWADDICK said:

37% vote for the Tories, meaning that 63% of the population did not want them. Yet they will have a majority of over 50% of the seats.

FPTP is a terrible system and we need an overhaul now that it isn't a 2/3 party system.

I love the creative maths that goes on once a party has lost.

only 66% of the eligible population bothered to vote therefore if at worst only 44.2% of those eligible to vote didn't want the Tories.

The Tories on the other hand, as things stand at the moment, have 323 seats out of 650 which gives them 49.7% of the seats available. Not such a big difference after all but lets not let facts get in the way of left wing sour garpes.
    No sour grapes, just feel the FPTS system no longer is effective in an election where over 5 parties get large number of votes. It unfairly benefits the main two parties (and the SNP).

Prefer a system that more accurately reflects the vote that has taken place. This would probably mean a Con/Ukip coalition so can't really claim left wing sour grapes.
  • colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

I voted for labour.

Come on everyone, no need to keep quoting this post. The flags are surely enough.
    pmsl
  • Fiiish said:

I voted for labour.

• edited May 2015
    The first PMQs of the next Parliament ought to be brilliant. Cameron and Osborne take their seats and smile at the Balls-sized hole on the opposition front bench.
  • Will he or won't he?
  • 37% vote for the Tories, meaning that 63% of the population did not want them. Yet they will have a majority of over 50% of the seats.

need to make an allowance for the % that couldn't be bothered to vote