Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life Poll for election

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2015

Someone's bought a copy of the Mirror today eh algarve :smirk:

I can testify that Cameron definitely is making higher earners more than pay their way.

THIS 100%. Are there any Labour supporters out there who STILL feel higher earners are not taxed enough?
    Yes

So you think I should lose more than half my earnings in take home?

How could that be possible when the proposed top rate is only 50%?

• Options
    edited May 2015
  • Options

You're not on BabeStation now @Red_in_SE8

I did wonder why you would be asking for my credit card details!
  • Options

I can testify that Cameron definitely is making higher earners more than pay their way.

THIS 100%. Are there any Labour supporters out there who STILL feel higher earners are not taxed enough?
    Yes

On my desk is a picture of my two kids. Not a picture of half the UK. I have fought for success for my childrens future. I accept that I pay into a pot to support the country we live in - but there is a bloody limit.

Thats why I am so passionate about this election. And thats why selling the home, taking the equity and savings, and taking it away from the UK would be a serious option. That's my kids future.
    No! But I don't think the poorest in society should be left to die either. X
    Post was in response to SHG stating that people in the £100-150k bracket dont pay enough tax. Paying more means over 50% hence why I asked if anyone thought that was fair.

As you have said, its not fair.
    It's all about voting for who is best for you. For you its Tories for me it's labour. I do however think that if everyone used this formula labour would come out on top.
  • Options

Yes

No - my point being that I said I and others shouldn't pay more than half. Someone said I should - which is what I challenged. This all came from someone saying that in our tax system, high earners are already paying their fair share.

And anyway - 50% is despicable and makes you wonder what the point is of working hard to better your own kids only to take it away from them and give it to others.
  • Options

Yes

No - my point being that I said I and others shouldn't pay more than half. Someone said I should - which is what I challenged. This all came from someone saying that in our tax system, high earners are already paying their fair share.

And anyway - 50% is despicable and makes you wonder what the point is of working hard to better your own kids only to take it away from them and give it to others.
    Go for a zero hours contract if your not happy.

• Options
    The CL Lib Dem vote seems to have completely collapsed from where it was 5 years ago.
  • Options

Yes

I'd be interested to see if there was a flat rate of tax across the country, whether you earn 15k or 150k or 1500k or even more... how much that flat rate would sit at? 5%? 10%? 20? 35? 50?
  • Options

Genuinely cannot believe how many people would be happy with Ed Milliband running the country. It's seriously worrying, and if he gets in then god help us all.

Genuinely cannot believe how many people would be happy with Cameron continuing to ride roughshod over the poorest and most vulnerable in society while doing everything he can to feather the already bulging nests of the richest. It's seriously worrying that people are unable to see that.
    blimey. have visions of Cameron riding through the villages like Henry IIIV and his cronies rape and pillaging the peasants.

Genuine question Algarve (and i'm not digging on the living abroad front), but what exposure have you had to over the last few years to UK public services, social housing, elderly care, health, education, special needs / disability services and how much materially worse is your experience than what was on offer 10-15 years ago?

I don't support any political party and change my vote almost every election. But from the experiences i've had in all those aspects, your statement above is just ridiculous and completely blinkered. If that was actually occurring there would be widespread public uproar. It is people's general nature that they feel things have got worse / things aren't the same as they used to be. There is always more than can be done.

The main reason this election is so tight is because the opposition party havn't got enough clear evidencial arguments that the widespread public feel that the current party in power has failed on.

Can I just say that I have recent experience of all of those things and more and it is substantially worse than it was 5 years ago. I'm genuinely petrified of snother Tory government.

My experiences are the same and both my sisters work in the NHS and they can see first hand how downhill it has gone in the last five years.
  • Options
    The sticky poll is scaring me where are all of my labour buds? :scream:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015

Supporting Labour is a bit like supporting Millwall. There's a lot who like to shout about it.

Supporting The Tories is a bit like supporting Charlton. There's a lot more modesty involved :smiley:
  • Options
    Nah they're hard at work down the mines
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

UKIP

Very interested to know why?
  • Options
    Says quite a lot in my opinion that people on the whole are too ashamed to own up to voting Tory or UKIP.
  • Options

Supporting Labour is a bit like supporting Millwall. There's a lot who like to shout about it.

Supporting The Tories is a bit like supporting Charlton. There's a lot more modesty involved :smiley:
    What you actually mean is the Tory voters are embarrassed to admit it.
  • Options
    Supporting Labour is like making love to a beautiful woman.......
  • Options
    The silent tories are out to play tonight..... 1992 anyone??
  • Options

...speaking as one of those who is now paying a fortune more in tax than I was under labour...

Do you think this might have something to do with (from the "Since the last election..." thread)

Moved jobs... More than doubled my salary

;-)
  • Options
    I've not voted. I may have gone and spoilt my paper or voted green but my motorcycle has a puncture and I'm still registered in my parents' town.

Regarding the NHS - I have an ex who is a midwife. Scores of them were leaving the job a couple of years ago because of long, long hours all day and night without breaks. They were badly under staffed and no departees were replaced. Those remaining were breaking down physically and mentally. In her case she had a mental breakdown and cut me out her life.

That is one aspect of the NHS that I know a little about. Just how bad are other areas? We all know about hospitals closing and A&E times. Do people really think Tories would suddenly change tact and make healthcare a priority? Ha.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Maybe most people can't be bothered with the arguing and being wrongly judged......
    Nothing wrong with your poll though!
  • Options
    monster raving loony
  • Options
    None.
  • Options
    All this NHS conservative bashing. What about the Labour controlled Welsh NHS - hardly a shining example. It seems to some like their has to be a blame, rather than it just might be outdated and broken and straining under an ageing population, increased immigration and higher health inflation. Who is to say if any other party had been in the last 4 years that the strain would not be felt exactly how it is now, because cuts needed to be made regardless of who was running the show.

My mrs is a social worker and just like the NHS they are constantly underfunded and always struggling against the tide, just like they were 5 years ago, 10 years ago and will be in 5 years time, no matter what party is in charge.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I've not voted. I may have gone and spoilt my paper or voted green but my motorcycle has a puncture and I'm still registered in my parents' town.

Regarding the NHS - I have an ex who is a midwife. Scores of them were leaving the job a couple of years ago because of long, long hours all day and night without breaks. They were badly under staffed and no departees were replaced. Those remaining were breaking down physically and mentally. In her case she had a mental breakdown and cut me out her life.

That is one aspect of the NHS that I know a little about. Just how bad are other areas? We all know about hospitals closing and A&E times. Do people really think Tories would suddenly change tact and make healthcare a priority? Ha.

You've lost your right to criticise any of the parties. Unless you find a way to vote...

• Options
    Finding it mildly amusing that the Labour suporters are flapping that much that they're resorting to saying they clicked on the wrong button coz of the colour!

Pmsl, it's only for fun and it ain't over yet, you could still win
  • Options
    brogib said:

Finding it mildly amusing that the Labour suporters are flapping that much that they're resorting to saying they clicked on the wrong button coz of the colour!

Even though the button was not coloured.
  • Options

brogib said:

Even though the button was not coloured.
    Exactly that, underhand tactics from the left, who'd a thought it eh? ; )
  • Options

Genuinely cannot believe how many people would be happy with Ed Milliband running the country. It's seriously worrying, and if he gets in then god help us all.

Genuinely cannot believe how many people would be happy with Cameron continuing to ride roughshod over the poorest and most vulnerable in society while doing everything he can to feather the already bulging nests of the richest. It's seriously worrying that people are unable to see that.
    blimey. have visions of Cameron riding through the villages like Henry IIIV and his cronies rape and pillaging the peasants.

Genuine question Algarve (and i'm not digging on the living abroad front), but what exposure have you had to over the last few years to UK public services, social housing, elderly care, health, education, special needs / disability services and how much materially worse is your experience than what was on offer 10-15 years ago?

I don't support any political party and change my vote almost every election. But from the experiences i've had in all those aspects, your statement above is just ridiculous and completely blinkered. If that was actually occurring there would be widespread public uproar. It is people's general nature that they feel things have got worse / things aren't the same as they used to be. There is always more than can be done.

The main reason this election is so tight is because the opposition party havn't got enough clear evidencial arguments that the widespread public feel that the current party in power has failed on.

Can I just say that I have recent experience of all of those things and more and it is substantially worse than it was 5 years ago. I'm genuinely petrified of snother Tory government.

My experiences are the same and both my sisters work in the NHS and they can see first hand how downhill it has gone in the last five years.

From another branch of the public sector, the thought of another round of cuts to the Prison Service is terrifying to me. Ignoring the fact that I haven't had a pay rise under this government, the cuts that the service have had to endure have resulted in a massive drop in officer numbers, massive reduction in funding to pay for rehabilitation and purposeful activity which has an impact on society as a whole. Prison closures have resulted in severe overcrowding and frustrated prisoners. Jails are bubbling and where I once felt safe going into work, there is now some trepidation. Pushing an alarm button used to result in staff attending, now you hit it and pray someone will turn up. Assaults on staff have risen dramatically and I can now see the real possibility of an officer being killed on duty. In my eyes, their blood will be on the hands of those who've been in power for the last five years.