Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Client of mine was at Paris airport - queue for British passport holders was very long, and the French were being deliberately slow - he holds dual nationality, so used his Lebanese passport to go through a different booth - in his view they are doing it deliberately because they are annoyed about Brexit

Mind you, the French have form for being ignorant and having short memories - in 1966 De Gaulle ordered all US troops to leave France - Dean Rusk (US Secretary of State) replied ‘does that include the 60,000 dead ones in cemeteries’
    This is the exact mentality that’s fucked us and going to fuck us for a long time.
    What the mentality that the French have currently adopted ?
  • https://twitter.com/haggis_uk/status/1551474000567623680?s=21&t=uV6DAfiCvTbklsUPul2F2g

Poor old Andrew Pierce made to look silly here.  Is this the turning point where we start listening to experts in the field again (The Mick Lynch’s, Simon Calder’s and CEO’s of the actual thing in question) rather than mail columnists and our proud flaggy feelings?

I’m doubtful but let’s see.  As the reality hits home more and more you'd like to think so.  And again I must stress, brexit voter here not a remainiac of whatever the Twitter nicknames are these days.  
  • Client of mine was at Paris airport - queue for British passport holders was very long, and the French were being deliberately slow - he holds dual nationality, so used his Lebanese passport to go through a different booth - in his view they are doing it deliberately because they are annoyed about Brexit

Mind you, the French have form for being ignorant and having short memories - in 1966 De Gaulle ordered all US troops to leave France - Dean Rusk (US Secretary of State) replied ‘does that include the 60,000 dead ones in cemeteries’
    I have some questions around this. Are you saying that the airport in Paris has 3 queues? One for French/EU nationals, one for UK nationals and another for non-EU/rest of the world? Or 4, with a separate queue for former French colonies?

Because that's the only way what you're saying seems to make sense to me. Wouldn't that be like us having a separate desk open at Heathrow for Aussies? 

I have some questions around this. Are you saying that the airport in Paris has 3 queues? One for French/EU nationals, one for UK nationals and another for non-EU/rest of the world? Or 4, with a separate queue for former French colonies?

Because that's the only way what you're saying seems to make sense to me. Wouldn't that be like us having a separate desk open at Heathrow for Aussies? 
    I have no idea - simply passing on what he said - no reason to disbelieve him
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    People need to stop the predictable victim mentality and realise that UK citizens are now just subject to the same checks that, for example, Moroccans face when crossing the border with Spain in Ceuta: long queues and more stringent checks than it was before for Brits. Blindingly obvious it's due to the hard border that many people wanted and that they'd expect otherwise is strange, and definitely an example of exceptionalism. There are plenty of great places for Brits to visit in the UK if they want to avoid the hassle though the effect on trade movement is going to be a big problem.
  • Simple solution. Don't go to France.
  • Before Schengen I remember the queues at the Italian- French border. Both ways there were hour long queues. I thought about that as I sat in a queue at Dover last Thursday. It was frustrating but since we are out of Schengen it comes as no surprise - our movement around Europe is no longer free.

• Blame Boris,  for all the lies he told us .
  • Nadou said:
    Before Schengen I remember the queues at the Italian- French border. Both ways there were hour long queues. I thought about that as I sat in a queue at Dover last Thursday. It was frustrating but since we are out of Schengen it comes as no surprise - our movement around Europe is no longer free.

We were never in Schengen.
    Quite difficult if you want to drive to Spain.
  • Like moths to the flame.
  • edited July 2022
    Simple solution. Don't go to France.
    That's a choice so is also avoidable. Especially if you are disabled and in possession of a blue badge. British disabled people aren't recognised in some EU countries.
  • Sponsored links:

Ferry from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao 
  • Part of the problem is that there is now only Dover you can catch a ferry from, there used to be Ramsgate, Folkstone and for a brief period Sherness.  

Fair enough. Just read your post again and you said he has dual nationality so presumably went through on his French passport rather than his Lebanese one. Makes more sense in that case. 
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Part of the problem is that there is now only Dover you can catch a ferry from, there used to be Ramsgate, Folkstone and for a brief period Sherness.  
    Channel Tunnel killed Ramsgate and Folkestone, albeit Ramsgate could be brought back to life

I remember Olau Line from Sheerness - I went to Holland from there with them

Fair enough. Just read your post again and you said he has dual nationality so presumably went through on his French passport rather than his Lebanese one. Makes more sense in that case. 
    I will ask him - his dual nationality is Lebanese and British
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Nadou said:
    Before Schengen I remember the queues at the Italian- French border. Both ways there were hour long queues. I thought about that as I sat in a queue at Dover last Thursday. It was frustrating but since we are out of Schengen it comes as no surprise - our movement around Europe is no longer free.

We were never in Schengen.
    But we did have free movement which I think is what Nadou meant.
  • edited July 2022
    Would appear that Non EU nationals only have one access queue. Certainly at CDG. Lebanon on list of countries requiring a non Schengen visa too.

https://easycdg.com/passenger-information/immigration-passport-paris-cdg-airport/
  • France is resisting efforts to increase daily Eurostar services in a fresh twist to a row between border guards and travel companies that last week tipped millions of summer holidays into chaos.

In a dispute that will draw parallels with a row that brought Dover to standstill on Friday, border officials in Paris are at loggerheads with the Channel Tunnel train operator over its plans to add to the number of trains running between London and Paris every day.

Eurostar, whose future was put in doubt last year in a funding row between France and the UK, is understood to be pushing to increase the number of services between the two capitals to 17 a day.

City sources said that the desire to ramp up services was in part to honour commitments contained in leasing agreements for Eurostar’s fleet of Velaro trains, built by Siemens at a cost of €600m (£510m).

Failure to hit this frequency could cause financial issues with honouring lease payments in the fullness of time, sources said. However, they said that there was no suggestion of an immediate threat to the company.

French border and security officials at Gare du Nord are understood to be insisting that they can only cope with a maximum of 13 trains a day, causing a significant headache for Eurostar bosses and hurting hopes of capturing a boom in demand for overseas travel this summer.

An extra four services would allow thousands more people to travel to the Continent every day, easing pressure on ferries and airlines after passengers suffered a wave of flight cancellations and hours-long traffic jams around Dover.

Eurostar wants to run 17 trains between London and Paris per day - CHRISTOPHE PETIT TESSON/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

France is resisting efforts to increase daily Eurostar services in a fresh twist to a row between border guards and travel companies that last week tipped millions of summer holidays into chaos.

In a dispute that will draw parallels with a row that brought Dover to standstill on Friday, border officials in Paris are at loggerheads with the Channel Tunnel train operator over its plans to add to the number of trains running between London and Paris every day.

Eurostar, whose future was put in doubt last year in a funding row between France and the UK, is understood to be pushing to increase the number of services between the two capitals to 17 a day.

City sources said that the desire to ramp up services was in part to honour commitments contained in leasing agreements for Eurostar’s fleet of Velaro trains, built by Siemens at a cost of €600m (£510m).

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Failure to hit this frequency could cause financial issues with honouring lease payments in the fullness of time, sources said. However, they said that there was no suggestion of an immediate threat to the company.

French border and security officials at Gare du Nord are understood to be insisting that they can only cope with a maximum of 13 trains a day, causing a significant headache for Eurostar bosses and hurting hopes of capturing a boom in demand for overseas travel this summer.

An extra four services would allow thousands more people to travel to the Continent every day, easing pressure on ferries and airlines after passengers suffered a wave of flight cancellations and hours-long traffic jams around Dover.

Frustrated holidaymakers queued for hours to board ferries at Dover on 22 July - Chris Ratcliffe/Bloomberg

Eurostar ran around 25 services each day prior to the pandemic, including to destinations such as Brussels and Amsterdam as well as Paris.

French border police and security scanning personnel claim that they are suffering from chronic staffing shortages and cannot handle more train services, sources said.

One said: “It's in no-one's interest to upset the apple cart. Getting on top of the post-pandemic surge in demand requires goodwill and collaboration on all sides.”

On Friday, border officials from Police Aux Frontières (PAF) sparked chaos at Dover amid claims that staff failed to turn up to work.

• Would appear that Non EU nationals only have one access queue. Certainly at CDG. Lebanon on list of countries requiring a non Schengen visa too.

https://easycdg.com/passenger-information/immigration-passport-paris-cdg-airport/
    Just asked my client - he says they had one booth for British passport holders, and several other ones for ‘other’ - he went up to one of the other booths, which had no queue, and they let him through, but did say to him that he should have been in the queue where all the Brits were queuing 

I think he may be a little confused in his thoughts that the queue with all the Brits was solely for Brits - it’s as you describe above, but as it was a flight to London the vast majority of travellers were Brits

The point he made to me, is that the queue was very long, and there were passport people sat at empty booths doing nothing - why couldn’t they reduce the queue by putting people through some of the other booths - he is sure some people missed the flight by being stuck in the queue

He doubts that would have ‘bent the rules’ if he had gone up to an empty booth with his British passport