Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Options
    We're off to France in the morning via Dover/Calais, can't say I'm looking forward to tackling Dover. Have an 08:30 crossing booked but we're planning to leave Bexley at 4. Would rather sit in the terminal for a couple of hours drinking coffee if by some miracle we don't we don't get held up and not let on an earlier crossing. My biggest worry is getting stuck in traffic and needing the toilet!
    Going in a few weeks time, ferry booked for 10am will leave Hastings around 7am (about an hour and 15 min drive.....usually) if you do get there early they normally let you go on an earlier ferry....well P and O did that for us several times (2013-2018) not to sure whether that would still happen but you never know. We are going with DFDS this time.....good luck anyway. Please let us know how you get on.
    Cheers. We're with DFDS as well. Always used P&O before and have been let on earlier ferries several times. Just had a text from them advising to allow 2 hours to clear check in controls.
    Hope it all goes well for you where in France are you off to?
  • Options
    We're off to France in the morning via Dover/Calais, can't say I'm looking forward to tackling Dover. Have an 08:30 crossing booked but we're planning to leave Bexley at 4. Would rather sit in the terminal for a couple of hours drinking coffee if by some miracle we don't we don't get held up and not let on an earlier crossing. My biggest worry is getting stuck in traffic and needing the toilet!
    Going in a few weeks time, ferry booked for 10am will leave Hastings around 7am (about an hour and 15 min drive.....usually) if you do get there early they normally let you go on an earlier ferry....well P and O did that for us several times (2013-2018) not to sure whether that would still happen but you never know. We are going with DFDS this time.....good luck anyway. Please let us know how you get on.
    Cheers. We're with DFDS as well. Always used P&O before and have been let on earlier ferries several times. Just had a text from them advising to allow 2 hours to clear check in controls.
    Hope it all goes well for you where in France are you off to?
    Houlgate in Normandy. Originally booked for 2020 but postponed twice.
  • Options

Why biometric border rules at Port of Dover and Eurotunnel mean Kent travel chaos could get even worse

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/you-think-traffics-bad-now-you-just-wait-271241/

Looking at Googlemaps it appears to show that Dover TAP is currently being use for freight traffic.
  • Options
    Got here at 5 and not much of a queue. Got through passport control and ferry check in in about 20 minutes. Managed to get on an earlier ferry too.
    Hope you have a wonderful holiday

• Options
    Got here at 5 and not much of a queue. Got through passport control and ferry check in in about 20 minutes. Managed to get on an earlier ferry too.
    Great, have a good holiday.
  • Options
    Yes they reversed Brexit yesterday  :)
  • Options
    Its all you Francophiles going off to your poncey chateaus that are preventing the rest of us from closing the borders, bricking up the Euro tunnel and cutting the French loose once and for all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/op-brock-to-end-but-50mph-limit-will-stay-272825/

Operation Brock will end this weekend, but the London bound carriageway will still have the concrete barrier in place, reduced number of lanes and a 50mph speed limit.  This will remain until Highways England have finished the work to place the concrete barrier on the central reservation instead of the hard shoulder. The work to do that was estimated to take a YEAR when they started it earlier in this year. 
  • Options
    Yesterday was Dartford at its finest.Took me one and half hours to get from medway to Dartford 9 hole golf course,nr football ground.When oh when will these brain dead highway experts stop lorries from taking short cuts over the roundabout and blocking everything up.
  • Options
    Yesterday was Dartford at its finest.Took me one and half hours to get from medway to Dartford 9 hole golf course,nr football ground.When oh when will these brain dead highway experts stop lorries from taking short cuts over the roundabout and blocking everything up.
    Perhaps they could make them box junctions, have cameras up & fine all lorries that block them £1000. 
  • Options
    The Highways authorities are doing their best to bring Kent to a standstill.

The coastbound exit and entry slips are closed on the M2 junction 5 for 4 months, this is causing chaos on other roads. The official diversion is to use the A229 Bluebell Hill at junction 3, join the M20 at junction 6 and then travel up the A249 at the M20 junction 7 to get to Sittingbourne and Sheppey. The alternative is to come off the M2 at junction 4 and travel along the A2 through Rainham, Newington etc. Neither route is capable of taking the extra traffic and huge traffic jams have been forming.

The M20 still has the Op Brock lane restrictions, even though the Brock itself isn't in operation, there are only 2 lanes and a 50mph speed limit for 13 miles between J8 & J9. This is to carry of the work to move the hated concrete barrier from the hard shoulder to the central reservation and is scheduled to take another year. It is very frustrating to have to travel at 50mph for miles when there is no work being done on most of it; why they couldn't do small bits at a time I do not know. 

Maidstone has lots of road closures and roadworks to add utilities to all the new housing developments, which themselves are adding more and more vehicles to roads which cannot cope.  
  • Options
    I have long advocated box junctions have hidden spikes that spring up and plunge through the car chassis and the heart of the inconsiderate selfish wanker blocking traffic flow in all directions.  As they die in agony impaled Dracular like for all to see, other motorists can sneer and pour scorn on them as they breathe their last fetid breath.  They can then be scooped up and left to decay on a suitable roundabout or junction in their now rusting Range Rover, as an example to other motorist not to be complete bell ends...

My idea has never been taken up and in some circles may be considered a tad extreme.  Weird!
  • Options
    Perhaps they could make them box junctions, have cameras up & fine all lorries that block them £1000. 

They have box junctions there but no bastard takes any notice of them.
  • Options
    I have long advocated box junctions have hidden spikes that spring up and plunge through the car chassis and the heart of the inconsiderate selfish wanker blocking traffic flow in all directions.  As they die in agony impaled Dracular like for all to see, other motorists can sneer and pour scorn on them as they breathe their last fetid breath.  They can then be scooped up and left to decay on a suitable roundabout or junction in their now rusting Range Rover, as an example to other motorist not to be complete bell ends...

My idea has never been taken up and in some circles may be considered a tad extreme.  Weird!
    Letting them off lightly in my opinion……
  • Options

They have box junctions there but no bastard takes any notice of them.
    Perhaps you missed the part where I said there should be cameras & large fines.

I got fined once along the Commercial.Road in London. Rush hour traffic & moved off with the rest of the traffic once lights went green. Bastard lights  changed very quickly & left me with my rear wheels in a yellow box junction - not blocking anyone but still got fined by TFL. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I was stuck in the M20 fuel spill yesterday, it gave me plenty of time to rue a life of missed chances...  Bit like Stockley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is happening,further to my visit to North London on tuesday,today I paid my weekly visit to Dartford,dreading the journey,it took half hour each way,no hold ups even at the dreaded Dartford roundabout,this cannot go on,,I fear I will be bitten on the arse fairly soon.(I live in Medway)
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Not to do with traffic per se, but starting to get pissed off with all the transport strikes.

The buses that take 2 of my children to College are on strike today, next Mon & Tues, Thurs & Friday. Took my daughter in this morning whilst the eldest son walked ( his choice & he got a lift back from a friend). 

Me & Daughter were supposed to be going to the South Bank University at Elephant & Castle tomorrow for their Open Day.....but there is a train strike tomorrow. What would have been a simple 40 min journey (direct line to Blackfriars) would now be 2 hours & 3 buses. I would drive but University is just inside the Congestion Zone and I imagine parking just outside it would he a nightmare. Just found out they have 1 another Open Day next month. Just hope to God there isn't another train strike then. 

And climate changers wonder why people still like to use their cars. 
  • Options
    What is happening,further to my visit to North London on tuesday,today I paid my weekly visit to Dartford,dreading the journey,it took half hour each way,no hold ups even at the dreaded Dartford roundabout,this cannot go on,,I fear I will be bitten on the arse fairly soon.(I live in Medway)
    You've been punished enough
  • Options
    Almost got done yesterday.once again going through the tunnel,just managed to get off before the road was closed for some reason.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Two young people died in a crash at Dartford Heath turnoff.10.30 am
  • Options
    Almost got done yesterday.once again going through the tunnel,just managed to get off before the road was closed for some reason.
    Big smash up on the a2 yesterday. 2 people killed. Think the a2 was closed all day. 
  • Options
    I wish to report that I travelled to north London today and back.The Dartford Crossing was almost deserted in both directions.I would like to ask you all to raise a glass to mark this momentous once in a lifetime occasions.
    Sorry your delusional, this did not happen. You’ve had a dream. 
  • Options
    Big smash up on the a2 yesterday. 2 people killed. Think the a2 was closed all day. 

That is awful.
  • Options

Police have closed a major road linking Essex and Kent after two people climbed up the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.

Officers said they received a report at 03:50 BST that the pair had climbed up the bridge.

Essex Police said: "It does mean that we have had to close the bridge to traffic, but a diversion is going to be put in place through the tunnel.

"This is likely to cause delays throughout this morning."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-63281841

• Options
    surely not those climate change protesters again??