Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Options
    Jints said:
    Complaining about this thread swerving into a Brexit bashing debate, when several prominent people involved with Dover have stated the problems ARE down to Brexit suggests the person who complained just doesn't want to face up to the fact that Brexit is causing all the problems project fear said would occur. And then to complain about the workers asking for a pay rise in line with inflation? yeah right, very relevant to Dover.
    How many workers have got an inflation rated pay rise,the ordinary man in the street,will get his take it or leave it offer,and not have the satisfaction of walking out and throwing the rest of the working population into chaos.I am a pensioner ,I got 3%,I cant down tools.My comments about the train workers where relevant because the strikes pour more misery on travellers be it in Kent or anywhere else.The problems are not down to brexit,they are down to the people who are responsible for there interpretation of the rules.Someone in authority could say,"righto chaps lets speed it up,just stamp the passports and let people through if we get a backlog.But oh no,we must stick to letter of the law and show them they where wrong for leaving our crooked little cartel.

You'll be getting a 10% rise next year. if there is one group protected against inflation its pensioners. 
    Hope you are right,the 3% of 10k  state pension this year didnt go far wouldnt even get you a pint at Charlton.
    3% of 10000 would get you pissed at Charlton even on the shite beer. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Complaining about this thread swerving into a Brexit bashing debate, when several prominent people involved with Dover have stated the problems ARE down to Brexit suggests the person who complained just doesn't want to face up to the fact that Brexit is causing all the problems project fear said would occur. And then to complain about the workers asking for a pay rise in line with inflation? yeah right, very relevant to Dover.
    How many workers have got an inflation rated pay rise,the ordinary man in the street,will get his take it or leave it offer,and not have the satisfaction of walking out and throwing the rest of the working population into chaos.I am a pensioner ,I got 3%,I cant down tools.My comments about the train workers where relevant because the strikes pour more misery on travellers be it in Kent or anywhere else.The problems are not down to brexit,they are down to the people who are responsible for there interpretation of the rules.Someone in authority could say,"righto chaps lets speed it up,just stamp the passports and let people through if we get a backlog.But oh no,we must stick to letter of the law and show them they where wrong for leaving our crooked little cartel.

You'll be getting a 10% rise next year. if there is one group protected against inflation its pensioners. 
    Hope you are right,the 3% of 10k  state pension this year didnt go far wouldnt even get you a pint at Charlton.
    I hope I'm wrong. It's based on infaltion as at September for the previous year. Currently forecase to hit 10% in September 2022 but it would be better if it went down. 
  • Options
    Jints said:

How do you work that out,3% is £6.00 a week pre tax,I should have said 3% of what is around £200 a week. 3litres of petrol,1box of shit cat food,1 sausage roll at Charlton,25% of a round of golf,2 hours car parking in Whitstable,the list is endless.
  • Options
    According to BBC news reports last weekend, there are12 passport booths at Dover, I don't know how many there are at Eurotunnel.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Not this year they wasn't. 
    The triple lock suited the government for the past decade as inflation was next to nothing.
    This year inflation rose rapidly so they abolished it.
  • Options
    Jints said:

The triple lock suited the government for the past decade as inflation was next to nothing.

As one of the many affected by this,I was really pissed off,but to be fair it was unsustainable especially after the cost of the pandemic.
  • Options
    Jints said:

https://www.pensionsage.com/pa/Govt-commits-to-triple-lock-for-rest-of-current-parliament-after-2022-23.php
  • Options
    clive said:
    Jints said:

https://www.pensionsage.com/pa/Govt-commits-to-triple-lock-for-rest-of-current-parliament-after-2022-23.php
    If you believe these liars fair enough, I don’t.
  • Options
    Jints said:

How do you work that out,3% is £6.00 a week pre tax,I should have said 3% of what is around £200 a week. 3litres of petrol,1box of shit cat food,1 sausage roll at Charlton,25% of a round of golf,2 hours car parking in Whitstable,the list is endless.
    Because you wrote 3% of 10k.........
    I take your point though, 3% of not much is still not much. 
  • Options
    Jints said:

They suspended it for a year (it's back now) because wages were rising so fast but inflation was still fairly low in September. It went up in line with September 21 inflation which was 3.1%. Next year it will go up by 10% or so because inflation will be aroun that figure in September this year. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And the triple lock suited the Govt because it wins votes. Pensions have gone up much more than inflation over the last 10 years. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    And the triple lock suited the Govt because it wins votes. Pensions have gone up much more than inflation over the last 10 years. 
    You don't like pensioners very much do you 
  • Options
    Jints said:

I have to say, reading Jints' posts I don't get where he dislikes pensioners? It looks like he points out a few facts, that's all. 
  • Options
    Although pensioners form a large part of the voting population, they are quite rightly protected from some of the things that everyone else has to worry about!

But it can be annoying to hear people banging on sanctimoniously about inflation and strikes from a point of relative safety.

I'm a pensioner by the way!

And I've just noticed what this thread is supposed to be about! What's all this got to do with traffic in Kent?
  • Options

• Options
    seth plum said:
    France has sovereignty, they can run their border checks how they like.
    It is funny that one of the candidates for the next Prime Minister thinks they can tell France what to do in this regard.
    You’re running to be in charge of the UK you dolt, not France.
    The border checks are going to get worse when the EU imposes tariffs on UK goods as a result of the UK breaking international law over the land border.
    Incidentally the European Court of Human Rights is not an EU institution, but the dolt says the UK should leave that too.
    The UK is well on the way to becoming a Banana Republic Monarchy, but instead of bananas all the UK will have left to export will be roadkill sausages.
    It’s all about taking control - what they haven’t noticed is in trying to take control they have handed control over to the French. …… who would have thought it eh !! 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    France has sovereignty, they can run their border checks how they like.
    It is funny that one of the candidates for the next Prime Minister thinks they can tell France what to do in this regard.
    You’re running to be in charge of the UK you dolt, not France.
    The border checks are going to get worse when the EU imposes tariffs on UK goods as a result of the UK breaking international law over the land border.
    Incidentally the European Court of Human Rights is not an EU institution, but the dolt says the UK should leave that too.
    The UK is well on the way to becoming a Banana Republic Monarchy, but instead of bananas all the UK will have left to export will be roadkill sausages.
    It’s all about taking control - what they haven’t noticed is in trying to take control they have handed control over to the French. …… who would have thought it eh !! 
    Calm down chaps,everyone turned up at the border checkpoints today,not a hold up in sight,just shows how easy it is when everyone sees common sense.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Sadly, I don't think it is something we can do until the Conservative party sorts itself out. We need a consensus and we have the malevolent press who tell gullible people what to think and it would be presented as a return to the EU, despite being something even Farage supported before the vote and the Brexit side kept saying a deal would be done. 

I think there are things that can be done in the meantime by simply having a different relationship with the EU. One of friendship and respect. I think some major problems can be tackled if we treat France as partners.
    Everything could be overcome amicably if both sides dropped the points scoring attitude,and realised that sensible cooperation is the way forward.I just do not see how slowing things down at borders benefits anybody least of all EU citizens trying to get home.
    The starting point has to be from us and I think that can be achieved. We have seen the view that French  knocking is a vote winner. That has to change. The French have issues around illegal immigrants crossing. Different issues but we both have a reason to resolve this and that is the only effective way to do it. The French also make money from tourism so it is in their interest that Brits travel there. If we could be nice to them and stop being narrow minded bastards, I'm sure we can change that.

It is irrelevant if we think the French could do more or not. The question should be, can we do something and I honestly think a change of attitude can achieve a lot. 
    We could start of course with our government being honest with us and recognising the cause, or at least the worsening of these issues at Dover...

If it's not Brexit then what they're effectively saying is large parts of Kent can be brought to a standstill because 5 or 6 French people were an hour or two late to work. Which is it? 

Tbf neither of them can admit that it would essentially be admitting that the whole reason they are in power is based on a lie. 
    That's essentially the problem isn't it?

The government's insistence that there are no downsides to Brexit means they've painted them, and us, into a corner.

As with anything in life we cannot start sorting it out properly until we recognise what's causing the problem. The new PM is obviously just going to continue blaming anything and everyone else but the unavoidable consequences of being outside the EU that are causing these traffic issues at the border. 
    Funny thing is that Liz Truss voted to Remain & was lambasting Leavers at the time. 

Seems like the only way someone thinks they can become Conservative Leader is if they advocate Leave even if they didn't do so at the time. Not sure how many Remainers would now say that Brexit was a great idea so Truss must be in a minority of 1. 
    Was she still a Lib Dem then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So last weekend there was not chaos in Dover or Folkstone. Was that because the M20 wasnt shut because of a crash and all the French Border Controls were open?. First weekend of the school holidays has always been chaos at the Channel crossing points even when we were in the EU.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    That's interesting to know. We often crossed the channel at this time when my son was at school but somehow didn't experience this. Probably lucky.
  • Options
    So last weekend there was not chaos in Dover or Folkstone. Was that because the M20 wasnt shut because of a crash and all the French Border Controls were open?. First weekend of the school holidays has always been chaos at the Channel crossing points even when we were in the EU.
    That may be true, but no doubt the problems this year were exacerbated by the extra time needed to properly check and stamp passports.

On this occasion, Operation Brock which was put in place in anticipation of the queues caused by Brexit checks, couldn't cope and wasn't utilised properly causing chaos on many roads far away from Dover & Folkestone.

The people of Dover frequently have to put up with HGV traffic queuing on the A20 approach to Dover, often a night where they are disturbed by engines running and hooting of horns.
  • Options
    That may be true, but no doubt the problems this year were exacerbated by the extra time needed to properly check and stamp passports.

On this occasion, Operation Brock which was put in place in anticipation of the queues caused by Brexit checks, couldn't cope and wasn't utilised properly causing chaos on many roads far away from Dover & Folkestone.

The people of Dover frequently have to put up with HGV traffic queuing on the A20 approach to Dover, often a night where they are disturbed by engines running and hooting of horns.
    Yes, the people in Bromley whinge about the increase in air traffic at Biggin Hill, and the people in East Dartford complain about the chaos at the Dartford Crossing.
    And don't get me started at CAFC supporters who are never happy with most of the team, TS, and the manager. Life is a bitch sometimes
  • Options
    Jints said:

I have to say, reading Jints' posts I don't get where he dislikes pensioners? It looks like he points out a few facts, that's all. 
    So it costs 5 quid less to kill an OAP or an unemployed person than to kill a wasp nest.

Is that a consequence of Brexit?
  • Options

Yes, the people in Bromley whinge about the increase in air traffic at Biggin Hill, and the people in East Dartford complain about the chaos at the Dartford Crossing.
    And don't get me started at CAFC supporters who are never happy with most of the team, TS, and the manager. Life is a bitch sometimes
    I live in Bromley and I’ve never once complained about the increase of air traffic at Biggin Hill. That would be nuts.
  • Options
    We're off to France in the morning via Dover/Calais, can't say I'm looking forward to tackling Dover. Have an 08:30 crossing booked but we're planning to leave Bexley at 4. Would rather sit in the terminal for a couple of hours drinking coffee if by some miracle we don't we don't get held up and not let on an earlier crossing. My biggest worry is getting stuck in traffic and needing the toilet!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We're off to France in the morning via Dover/Calais, can't say I'm looking forward to tackling Dover. Have an 08:30 crossing booked but we're planning to leave Bexley at 4. Would rather sit in the terminal for a couple of hours drinking coffee if by some miracle we don't we don't get held up and not let on an earlier crossing. My biggest worry is getting stuck in traffic and needing the toilet!
    Going in a few weeks time, ferry booked for 10am will leave Hastings around 7am (about an hour and 15 min drive.....usually) if you do get there early they normally let you go on an earlier ferry....well P and O did that for us several times (2013-2018) not to sure whether that would still happen but you never know. We are going with DFDS this time.....good luck anyway. Please let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Going in a few weeks time, ferry booked for 10am will leave Hastings around 7am (about an hour and 15 min drive.....usually) if you do get there early they normally let you go on an earlier ferry....well P and O did that for us several times (2013-2018) not to sure whether that would still happen but you never know. We are going with DFDS this time.....good luck anyway. Please let us know how you get on.
    Cheers. We're with DFDS as well. Always used P&O before and have been let on earlier ferries several times. Just had a text from them advising to allow 2 hours to clear check in controls.