Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Middlesborough v Charlton (Fraeye's First in Charge, officially) post-match views 2015/16

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Certainly looks like Fanny has been rubbed up the wrong way.
  • Options
    All the whilst we remain in the championship he will stay.

Am certain the only way of him thinking again is relegation.

However, if there are hidden agendas off the pitch we have problems as the football side of things possibly do not concern him too much.
  • Options

Certainly looks like Fanny has been rubbed up the wrong way.

I've been told before that I have a knack of girding people's loins.

:wink:

• Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

We're probably going to have to go 4-4-2 with Cousins tucked in on the left.

Which is a system that hasn't come close to working for the last 2 years - how does that begin to make sense?

Might be the best option out of a set of limited options. It's one way to get two strikers on the field without losing too much defensive cover.

What system would be better with the current players?

3-5-2 (with Solly lolloping along one side as wing-back and Fox the other?)

3-5-2 (with Cousins as RWB and Moussa playing behind two forwards and Bergdich as LWB?) Possibly.

4-3-3 with one (half-fit) centre-forward running around isolated?

You can try all of them, but you will still have players in the line-up lacking the strength & ability to play at this level. Opponents will work out our weaknesses fairly quickly and take full advantage.

We need Championship standard loan signings through the spine of the team, to have a semblance of avoiding relegation. Then 2 or 3 proper signings in January. The problem is not the system, although playing one short in midfield as against Preston & Brentford doesn't help, it's the lack of quality & depth in the squad. Choose whatever system you like, but it's still the same players.
    That's the point i was making to you last week, if a team play rubbish,CAFC say,
    you can play any permutation of 11 players and if the other team even play average at the moment we are doomed. We looked like we were playing 4-5-1 and still get out passed. Any decent movement in the second half of a match by the opposition and we can't compete.

Sad times to be an addict.
    Yep, but we still had to pick a team for the next game and 4-1-4-1 was the only choice they had against Boro, because 4-4-2 or a straight 4-5-1 would have been ripped apart. Whoever decided that Ba could play the key role as the defensive screen hasn't a scooby. In fact, that's worrying. I didn't go, but the reports also suggest that we didn't have a pattern of play. We had no method of building up play through the midfield third. So WTF were they doing in training?

I haven't seen MK, so no idea how we should set up tomorrow night. Picking a team or a formation, without knowledge of the opposition is simply guessing. (Which Luzon clearly did for the Preston & Brentford game). A Championship standard team shouldn't go into games guessing what is the best system & pattern of play for that particular game.

Hopefully, it's 4-4-2 v 4-4-2, because we clearly don't have the quality of player to adapt to playing anything other than a standard formation.
  • Options
    Hard to be optimistic about tomorrow evening, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Can't remember what thread it was on or who put it up, but a chap put up a photo of his boy in the Di Canio shirt who is now 12 and can't/won't go to games because it is so bad. You lose them, you lose the future. Some of us are so ingrained in it we're not done yet, but RD his starting to lose 'the regulars' the ones he deems don't need much attention.

That was my mate @TCE, he was always a season ticket holder, but he gave that up this season, he is now spending his Saturdays with his family and helping the upbeats, and there was a man who was CAFC through and through. Some it all up doesn't it!!
  • Options

Can't remember what thread it was on or who put it up, but a chap put up a photo of his boy in the Di Canio shirt who is now 12 and can't/won't go to games because it is so bad. You lose them, you lose the future. Some of us are so ingrained in it we're not done yet, but RD his starting to lose 'the regulars' the ones he deems don't need much attention.

That was my mate @TCE, he was always a season ticket holder, but he gave that up this season, he is now spending his Saturdays with his family and helping the upbeats, and there was a man who was CAFC through and through. Some it all up doesn't it!!

That's poor that he still has enough of a bond to help the upbeats yet he has turned his back on the team. Not because helping the upbeats isn't a nice thing to do, but because they are part of the whole of Charlton. Fans shouldn't have to be in a position to turn against one part of the club because our owner is destroying what we have built. And I'm not saying he shouldn't turn his back on the team, he's more than entitled to do that. All these stories are quite depressing
  • Options

To be fair, a lot of "Premier League era" fans will drift away after years of mediocrity, but will be back again if go back up! That's the nature of football at virtually all clubs
  • Options

To be fair, a lot of "Premier League era" fans will drift away after years of mediocrity, but will be back again if go back up! That's the nature of football at virtually all clubs
    @TCE used to work with Maurice Banham.

For the youngsters Maurice Banham was groundsman at The Valley pre Selhurst.

An ignorant, arrogant Meire may consider it trifling but when the likes of @TCE knock it on the head make no mistake things are bad. Very bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I suspect most of them disappeared as we went down to League One. Certainly few of them will have made it this far into the shambles that we have become.
  • Options

Many of the Prem fans are already long gone. We're now losing fans of 20/30/40 years.

Exactly.
  • Options

Many of the Prem fans are already long gone. We're now losing fans of 20/30/40 years.

Seems to be the way at Charlton. Same thing happened to the 30-40,000 fans who supported the club after the War and into the 1950s. Our support went down to about 4,000 in 1985. Have we just been unlucky or something?
  • Options
    Great post @cabbles And what about the ardent fans who don’t post online and are silently slipping away?

I’ve mentioned before that I now spend my Saturdays volunteering with lemurs. Part of that is in the hope that I get a paid job (and I really enjoy it) but RD and co have made things a lot, lot easier for me. I feel no guilt and decided before the Preston match I don’t want to subsidise Meire’s wages anymore. Just a year ago I was doing stuff like Leeds away midweek. I don’t know what my next game will be but it won’t be at The Valley.

You mentioned children also. I saw my first game at 4 and my niece is now 4. Why would I want to take a new fan when elder supporters don’t want to go?

And this is sad but I heard ‘Into The Valley’ on the radio yesterday and it upset me a little. It was like hearing a song you like but it reminds you of an ex. I hate them for making me feel like that.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

An ignorant, arrogant Meire may consider it trifling but when the likes of @TCE knock it on the head make no mistake things are bad. Very bad.
    As I may have mentioned before (once or twice!! :smile: ), Maurice Banham was my Great Uncle and Charlton has been in our family since at least the 30s. Of the surviving family members, my Dad has all but stopped going, I have a season ticket but am losing the will to go, and my 13 and 15 year old boys are losing interest. (we live in Brighton nowadays but the kids weren't even fussed about going to the AMEX down the road next month).

To suggest it's Premier League fans who are drifting away is pretty far wide of the mark as you say.. I think they all pissed off last time we were relegated to League One!

I don't think Miere understands that the older "unwanted" fans have children and grandchildren too, so by alienating one generation you risk losing them all.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

As I may have mentioned before (once or twice!! :smile: ), Maurice Banham was my Great Uncle and Charlton has been in our family since at least the 30s. Of the surviving family members, my Dad has all but stopped going, I have a season ticket but am losing the will to go, and my 13 and 15 year old boys are losing interest. (we live in Brighton nowadays but the kids weren't even fussed about going to the AMEX down the road next month).

To suggest it's Premier League fans who are drifting away is pretty far wide of the mark as you say.. I think they all pissed off last time we were relegated to League One!

I don't think Miere understands that the older "unwanted" fans have children and grandchildren too, so by alienating one generation you risk losing them all.
    Not sure that "understands" is the correct word to use here, LFE.

More like "cares" .

• Options

LenGlover said:

More like "cares" .

Very true....
  • Options

LenGlover said:

More like "cares" .

Indeed