Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2016

Comments

• Options

We are going to be rather short in the not too distant future - Latham has left, Rabada will be going soon, Coles is suspended, Billings and D B-D are involved with the Lions. Wonder if we will get another overseas in for the end of the season.

I thought Latham was with us for the whole season?
    Matt Walker tweeted yesterday "Farewell to this little legend @Tomlatham2".

He was always, assuming he was selected, going to leave in July as NZ have Test series against Zimbabwe and then SA.
  • Options

Is anybody going to the T20 against Surrey at Tunbridge Wells on Friday?

Seb and I will.
    Hoping to get my hands on some tickets via my Dad's sponsorship.

I've never been to this ground - should be good.
    Dad managed to get some!

CL meet up? ... :-)
  • Options

Is anybody going to the T20 against Surrey at Tunbridge Wells on Friday?

Seb and I will.
    Hoping to get my hands on some tickets via my Dad's sponsorship.

I've never been to this ground - should be good.
    Dad managed to get some!

CL meet up? ... :-)
    How will we recognise you without a bat or ball in your hand? Perhaps you could wear a pink carnation.
  • Options
    will be wearing his Palace top.
  • Options

We are going to be rather short in the not too distant future - Latham has left, Rabada will be going soon, Coles is suspended, Billings and D B-D are involved with the Lions. Wonder if we will get another overseas in for the end of the season.

More "good" news - Cowdrey has appendicitis and Haggett and Thomas remain injured.
  • Options

More "good" news - Cowdrey has appendicitis and Haggett and Thomas remain injured.
    Any chance of dragging Rob Key back out of the commentary box!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Or Derek Underwood abd Asif Iqbal?
  • Options
    Considering our injuries, player issues and overseas returning home, this is one hell of a performance. Let's see it home.
  • Options
    One needed from 3 balls, cake walk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great win for the boys!

DBD off to the Lions in great form, 112no
  • Options
    BOOOOM!

Worth getting stuck in traffic for an hour and a half just to see that knock.

Absolutely sensational from DBD.
  • Options
    Northeast must be near an England call, scoring in all forms of the game
  • Options
    LOVIN' this Kent team !

Great evening all round !

Just love beating Slurrey !
  • Options
    Well done guys. Serious batting performance. Fair play. best team one. I'm sure we will repay the favour in a few weeks at the Oval.
  • Options

Northeast must be near an England call, scoring in all forms of the game

He doesnt play for yorkshire so no chance. He would have a pile of tests behind him if he did.
  • Options
    Great game. Wasn't optimistic when Roy started, relief he got out. Wasn't optimistic when Denley got out but me of little faith. DBD was great and NE not far behind. The beer wasn't bad either!
  • Options
    A most enjoyable evening with bowling of Treders and of course the partnership between D B-D and SNE.

We were, however, to a degree gifted the game by Roy getting out when going well, their sub standard bowling backed up by fielding at times which was somewhat school boy in nature.

Great to hear Finch's audible expletives from the dressing room following his dismissal but this was shaded by the Kent players' post match singing and banging on the doors and walls after the game as if to rub Surrey's noses in it.

Surrey clearly have big problems. They have an abundance of talent but are just not performing and the body language of some of their players at times was shocking. Not that we should worry about that!
  • Options
    Seb spotted last night a mini bus parked behind one of the hospitality tents with a Charlton sticker on it. I had to explain that it was too big and expensive to be the first team coach.
  • Options

BOOOOM!

Worth getting stuck in traffic for an hour and a half just to see that knock.

Absolutely sensational from DBD.

Completely agree. I too was a bit fearful when Roy was hitting it out of the ground with such regularity, I thought Finch might enjoy the small boundary, but our bowling (particularly Tredders) and fielding was so much better then theirs. I was queuing for an ice cream when Denly was out but that was the only action I missed. Thoroughly absorbing, and how often do you get a century or a 150 partnership in T20?

As for the traffic! Rather than drive back through Tun Wells, I turned left out of the car park towards the Pembury Road with the aim of getting on the A21 further south. What a mistaka to maka! But as you say it was well worth it. I sat in the gridlock in Tonbridge with a broad smile on my face. A memorable game, and I've got the tickets for the Oval on the 29th.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very good first day for us in the CC game against Sussex.

Despite the early loss of Ball (opening in the absence of Latham and D B-D) for a duck, thanks to Dickson (81), Denly (78), Northeast (75*) and Stevens (51*) we reach 310-3.

Bat all day tomorrow and then bowl them out twice in the final two days!
  • Options
    I know Kent did well today but why expose ball to the new ball? Denly has spent most of his career opening so should step up to protect the younger players
  • Options

Very good first day for us in the CC game against Sussex.

Despite the early loss of Ball (opening in the absence of Latham and D B-D) for a duck, thanks to Dickson (81), Denly (78), Northeast (75*) and Stevens (51*) we reach 310-3.

Bat all day tomorrow and then bowl them out twice in the final two days!

We'll be relying heavily on Rabada to bowl them out twice!
  • Options

I know Kent did well today but why expose ball to the new ball? Denly has spent most of his career opening so should step up to protect the younger players

My thought too.

But , regardless, we managed to have a successful day with the bat...unlike the England lads.

Looking forward to the Essex match at Canterbury next Friday.

• Options
    Ball has been opening in the 2nd team and batting was his main strength as a youngster. I think Kent saw him ultimately saw him as a replacement for Darren Stevens but, unfortunately, his bowling hasn't lived up to expectations.

Hiding him at 5 or 6 won't actually tell Kent whether he can hack it as a batsman. Moving Denly to open only means that Northeast has to bat at 3 - both have been scoring runs in their current position. Equally, the absence of Latham, D B-D, Cowdrey, Billings and Rouse has meant that Jackson is at 7 and Rabada is 8 only serving to prove quite how far our resources have been stretched.

This could be a make or break season for Ball (I think his contract is up at the end of the season) and being a not very good "bits and pieces" player isn't going to help his future in the game.
  • Options
    Weather good so going to pop along tomorrow. Anyone else going?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Ball was in his final year at Uni of Kent when I was in my first. He played for the first team there and I was in the 3s. He was very good but I never thought he was that much better than the rest of the first team... but what the hell do I know..

Edited out.....
  • Options

Ball was in his final year at Uni of Kent when I was in my first. He played for the first team there and I was in the 3s. He was very good but I never thought he was that much better than the rest of the first team...

He was also a bit of a bellend, on a night out he used to go up to girls in the club and show them his Wikipedia page....

Ha, did it ever work? I'm going to create a wiki page for me saying I'm the worlds greatest dolphin trainer
  • Options
    Brilliant day's cricket yesterday at TW. The wicket looks flat; Sussex really toiled with the ball. Let's hope Stevo and Sam NE can pile on the runs today.

My enjoyment was greatly enhanced by the discovery of the CAMRA tent at the end of the line of marquees. Westerham's Spirit of Kent, Darkstar Hophead, Darford Wobbler, and a pint of Harvey's all went down a treat. Thankfully my son was at the wheel for the drive home.
  • Options

Ball has been opening in the 2nd team and batting was his main strength as a youngster. I think Kent saw him ultimately saw him as a replacement for Darren Stevens but, unfortunately, his bowling hasn't lived up to expectations.

Hiding him at 5 or 6 won't actually tell Kent whether he can hack it as a batsman. Moving Denly to open only means that Northeast has to bat at 3 - both have been scoring runs in their current position. Equally, the absence of Latham, D B-D, Cowdrey, Billings and Rouse has meant that Jackson is at 7 and Rabada is 8 only serving to prove quite how far our resources have been stretched.

This could be a make or break season for Ball (I think his contract is up at the end of the season) and being a not very good "bits and pieces" player isn't going to help his future in the game.

Ball only has a top score of 69, and taken 29 wickets in 28 first class matches, while his white ball stats are nothing exciting either. He'll have to massively improve if he's to justify a new contract