Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2016

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

5 wickers for Briggs, so it looks like the spinners will get plenty of action. A shame Riley is still injured, Qayyum is a bit raw

The question, if anyone is actually there, is did Briggs pick up wickets because of genuine turn or because the Kent batsmen made mistakes forcing the pace and getting on with it?

My gut instinct is that this match now has draw written all over it. We've (probably given that it's Kent) scored enough not to lose it but our bowling, given certain absentees, is not penetrative enough to bowl Sussex out twice and win it.

Sussex supporter here. I'm not sure Briggs turned the ball. He doesn't usually. The ball didn't beat the bat all day hardly. It looks to be a dull county pitch where the home side don't want to lose. I can't understand that with the highly brittle Sussex batting and a supposedly world class quickie. A draw is favourite unless Kent get amongst the Sussex top order quickly tomorrow. Survival looks relatively easy but things can soon change.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

5 wickers for Briggs, so it looks like the spinners will get plenty of action. A shame Riley is still injured, Qayyum is a bit raw

The question, if anyone is actually there, is did Briggs pick up wickets because of genuine turn or because the Kent batsmen made mistakes forcing the pace and getting on with it?

My gut instinct is that this match now has draw written all over it. We've (probably given that it's Kent) scored enough not to lose it but our bowling, given certain absentees, is not penetrative enough to bowl Sussex out twice and win it.

No, it didn't turn at all ; mixture of aggression and laziness from the Kent batsmen, plus he bowled a shed load of overs
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

LenGlover said:

No, it didn't turn at all ; mixture of aggression and laziness from the Kent batsmen, plus he bowled a shed load of overs
    Briggs did get a reputation at Hants of being a typical one day spinner, good at keeping it tight but not posing much danger in the longer form as he doesn't spin it enough...
  • Options
    Rabada gets Nash LBW 55.

Matt Cole: "He doesn't look to be bowling wicket taking balls", next ball ... gone! :)

82/2
  • Options
    Ross Taylor at the crease.
  • Options

Rabada gets Nash LBW 55.

Matt Cole: "He doesn't look to be bowling wicket taking balls", next ball ... gone! :)

82/2

Are there any updates on the Matt Coles situation? It's been 2 or 3 weeks now
  • Options

Rabada gets Nash LBW 55.

82/2

Did he have a pint in his hand when he said it?
  • Options

Rabada gets Nash LBW 55.

82/2

Kent were asked on Twitter and responded with "no update".
  • Options

Rabada gets Nash LBW 55.

82/2

I suspect that he might not play for us again. Only my gut feeling though, given the size of my gut, that is rather a large one!
  • Options
    We are going to be very short in the bowling department with no Coles and Rabada leaving after Friday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see Adam Riley is playing for the second 11 at the moment, surprised he's not in the 1st team ahead of Qayyum?
  • Options

I see Adam Riley is playing for the second 11 at the moment, surprised he's not in the 1st team ahead of Qayyum?

Riley has had two periods out through injury and only came back from the last one last week. The other aspect is that both Tredwell and Riley are off break bowlers whereas Qayyum is left arm orthodox.
  • Options
    Wells b Claydon 22 (93)

106/3
  • Options
    So, I've just read that Northeast was wearing a jumper all day yesterday!!
  • Options

Yeh, a superstition of his. Madness
  • Options

There was a strong Northeasterly breeze
  • Options

There was a strong Northeasterly breeze
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Think he needed 196 for 1000 championship runs this season.

They did announce that he had passed 1,000 runs in first class cricket this year.

• Options
    edited July 2016

Riley has had two periods out through injury and only came back from the last one last week. The other aspect is that both Tredwell and Riley are off break bowlers whereas Qayyum is left arm orthodox.
    While Tredders has bowled 28 overs for 63, Qayyum's 7 overs went for 36, so not a good start for him
  • Options
    One brings two...

Rabada gets Wright (60) and Brown (5). He's 3/57 from 22.1 overs.

Sussex 229-5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brings 3...

Stevens gets Jordan c Tredwell 7 (25)

251/6
  • Options
    A possible follow on?

Nah. Their tail will surely wag.
  • Options

A possible follow on?

Knackered bowlers in this heat might be a factor too.

Stevens and Claydon are no spring chickens.
  • Options
    Tea.

253/6 - 97 overs.

32 overs remaining in the day.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

A possible follow on?

Well there's no realistic chance of winning if we bat again. The problem is that the spinners aren't a threat, and we are relying on the seamers to take wickets (with the new ball?)

I see Ball has only bowled 4 overs, which seems rather low for someone I always thought of as all rounder?
  • Options
    At tea, Sussex are still 172 runs short of the follow on target. Let's go for their throats lads. The bowlers might be knackered but they can have a rest tonight.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

A possible follow on?

Well there's no realistic chance of winning if we bat again. The problem is that the spinners aren't a threat, and we are relying on the seamers to take wickets (with the new ball?)

I see Ball has only bowled 4 overs, which seems rather low for someone I always thought of as all rounder?
    I agree we absolutely need to make them follow on if we can bowl them out in time but just question whether we are capable of bowling them out twice.
  • Options
    273-7
  • Options
    A run-out.

Criminal.
  • Options
    Rabada's on again but can't get at Briggs