Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2016

Comments

• Options
    What more does Northeast have to do to get a call up?

In line for his 3rd ton in 3 matches and is the divisions leading run scorer with 879 runs @97.66...
  • Options

In line for his 3rd ton in 3 matches and is the divisions leading run scorer with 879 runs @97.66...

Massive difference nowadays between div2 rns and Div1 runs.

Alec Stewart says the gap between the two divisions is bigger than div1 to tests.

Think we are gonna see less and less div2 players getting call ups in the future.
  • Options

Not just the Div 2 top scorer, also scored more runs than anyone in Div 1, and is scoring runs in other formats too.

Has to go on the Lions winter tour, surely...
  • Options
    Stevens gone for 63.

c Beer b Briggs

330/4

Slog-sweep that he top edges and it goes miles in the air and caught at mid-wicket.

Blakey comes in.
  • Options
    With regards to Northeast and an England call up, as I've said on the England v Pakistan thread, selectors tend to concentrate on the successful teams at the very top of the League.

In the past players from Surrey and Lancashire got called up when, had they been playing for a County lower down the League, would not have got a smell of Test cricket.

Yorkshire are now in that position and had someone like Lyth played for Kent then he probably would not have received a call up. But, when you go to watch Root, Bairstow, Rashid, Plunkett, Ballance, Bresnan etc etc and Lyth gets a double ton, you are going to undoubtedly have that in your mind.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/947033.html

Looking at the score card, I see one of the Umpires is the Indian Virender Sharma. Is this normal practice now, to send up and coming Umpires overseas so that they can get used to foreign conditions?
  • Options
    100 for Northeast.
  • Options
    Northeast 101* (162)

4th ton of the season.

• Options

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/947033.html

Looking at the score card, I see one of the Umpires is the Indian Virender Sharma. Is this normal practice now, to send up and coming Umpires overseas so that they can get used to foreign conditions?

I believe it is - and done on an "exchange" basis.
  • Options
    Blake brings up his 50 with a 6.

50* (74)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    446-4

Northeast 132*
    Blake 58*
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    457-5

Blake lbw b Briggs 61

Northeast 140*
  • Options
    Lots of talk about DBD and Northeast here ---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/36789959

13:37 and 14:03pm.
  • Options
    489-6

Tredwell c Wells b Briggs 18

Northeast 152*
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

489-6

Northeast 152*

Brilliant by the skipper. I agree with the views of others about Kent being a div 2 team thereby limiting Northeast's England chances, but this score and his consistency this season should get the attention of the selectors surely. Are Vince or Ballance really better than him?
  • Options
    Peter_G said:

LenGlover said:

489-6

Northeast 152*

Brilliant by the skipper. I agree with the views of others about Kent being a div 2 team thereby limiting Northeast's England chances, but this score and his consistency this season should get the attention of the selectors surely. Are Vince or Ballance really better than him?
    No
  • Options
    Knocks this season:
    166*
    162*

Over 1000 FC runs this season averaging over 100.

Over 2000 runs in all formats last season.
  • Options
    Peter_G said:

LenGlover said:

489-6

Northeast 152*

James Vince is just as much a second division player as Northeast, which is possible an argument to try Northeast, OR an argument that runs in Div 2 aren't as strong as those in Div 1?
  • Options
    Northeast gone for 190.
  • Options
    Northeast out for 190.

559-7
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think he needed 196 for 1000 championship runs this season.
  • Options
    Can county teams loan players? Ie if a top div 1 team needed runs..
  • Options
    568-8

Rabada b Briggs 6
  • Options
    Claydon b Magoffin 4
  • Options
    575 all out
  • Options
    Usual collapse.
  • Options
    5 wickers for Briggs, so it looks like the spinners will get plenty of action. A shame Riley is still injured, Qayyum is a bit raw
  • Options
    29-1, Claydon picking up the wicket

Something rather amusing about opening the bowling with Rabada...and Stevens! A slight contrast in age, experience and pace
  • Options

5 wickers for Briggs, so it looks like the spinners will get plenty of action. A shame Riley is still injured, Qayyum is a bit raw

The question, if anyone is actually there, is did Briggs pick up wickets because of genuine turn or because the Kent batsmen made mistakes forcing the pace and getting on with it?

My gut instinct is that this match now has draw written all over it. We've (probably given that it's Kent) scored enough not to lose it but our bowling, given certain absentees, is not penetrative enough to bowl Sussex out twice and win it.

• Options
    So, the selectors have made changes to the squad for Old Trafford, but Ballance and Vince look safe. The only threat for one of them might be Ben Stokes.

Carry on piling up the runs Sam. Fantastic season so far. England's loss is Kent's gain. For purely selfish reasons, I wouldn't want him to miss the battle of the bridge on Friday anyway, we've got enough absentees already.