Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New British manager? Who are the runners and riders?

Comments

• It is unlikely to be a 'big' name if British. Surely whoever is approached / takes it will seek some sort of assurance they at least get to start next season regardless of relegation and our track record says that won't be forthcoming.

This seems to limit the appeal to me and suggests we will only get a 'lesser' name if a genuine non RD name.

I'd like to think we may pay for a name to come in on a 'see the season out' only / initial basis only but I doubt it.

We will get I suspect a Jason Euall / JJ compromise or similar.
    If they didn't earlier today see the threat of relegation as a need to look beyond the network then I can't see the next name being anything else.
  • Jason Euell / Jackson combo would in my opinion be seen as doing it on the cheap regardless of how high in regard both are held.
  • Jason Euell / Jackson combo would in my opinion be seen as doing it on the cheap regardless of how high in regard both are held.

I agree. Doesn't mean they won't however. I'm not advocating it; just won't be surprised if it happens. I want to be proven wrong.
  • Ainsworth or Pearson for me. No chance of either however
  • Redrobo said:

I really don't get the Warnock love in. Ex-Palace with outdated ideas. There's better out there.

Edit: plus he's at QPR in a really comfortable and secure job and has recently spoken about not returning to management.

But would suit the board to see us through to May.
    And if you're Warnock why would you leave a nice little number at QPR for this madhouse?
  • Peter Taylor wouldn't surprise me. Murray rates him as I recall.
  • It will be Euell or O' Laughlin if they are to be British. Don't be naive though. Whoever it is will be something to do with the network or will be known to RD.
  • Sponsored links:

• if Murray is involved in the selection then going by his previous recruitment we are doooomed
  • Peter Taylor wouldn't surprise me. Murray rates him as I recall.

Hope not. Taylor has presided over more failures than successes. I can't see him having an impact at all.
  • It really doesn't fooking matter, the owner isn't going to change his stripes. It'd just be a matter of time before any coach not under his network bubble would have had enough.

As short as 1/7 this season to be relegated, it's the bigger picture we need to worry about; not our next coach.
  • edited January 2016
    Does Paul Jewell have a job yet? Was more than interested last time and according to some people got an interview. I'd be extremely disappointed if it was him
  • There is a very real factor here that no one is considering.We are basing this whole idea on ITK information which for me at least is very credible.

What we don't know is the level of "panic" behind the scenes at The Valley, because that is the word used by Airman. Panic.

We are all I'm sure surprised by this turn of events but what we don't know is just how spooked they are and exactly why.

It can't be the protests except in small measure. They would have panicked before this afternoon. This change of tack by the club has been forced from we presume the players. Who else can it be ? Murray carries no clout and has been as quiet as a church mouse.

Here's the question. Just how far from "the vision" is Roland prepared to move ? If it's window dressing then no British manager we or the players would want would accept. If it's a complete departure and recognition that what we the fans and now the players have said is correct perhaps the move away from the plan will be considerable. In which case we could in fact be looking to get a more established name.

Something has definitely happened. I don't think he cares much about what the players think. He'd change the lot of them on a whim. One person he does care about is Katrien. If she was cracking under the pressure and about to quit, I think that might make him change course. If she were to go, there is really no reason for him to remain invested in the club. He would be pretty much on his own, or with just Muzza still standing, and he's nowhere near as attractive as Katrien.
  • I'd put money on it being Malky McKay, I think he would be desperate enough to enter the network and would agree to having some decisions made for him. It also means that Charlton can claim to an extent to 'have listened' to the fans in wanting a British manager, what's the betting that they would also wheel Murray or Squirrel Face out and say something along the lines of "we realised we need a manager who knows the division".
  • Id take either:

Curbs
    Powell
    Warnock
    Di Canio
  • seth plum said:

I'd put money on it being Malky McKay, I think he would be desperate enough to enter the network and would agree to having some decisions made for him. It also means that Charlton can claim to an extent to 'have listened' to the fans in wanting a British manager, what's the betting that they would also wheel Murray or Squirrel Face out and say something along the lines of "we realised we need a manager who knows the division".

If this happens I won't attend neither will my son.
    I wouldn't, personally, go that far (although I completely understand why you would) but I would be very disappointed. I think he is a poor manager (taking so long to get Cardiff promoted with the money he was allowed to spend) and was found out in the Premier League.

Even ignoring the racism and sexism he had a public spat with the chairman in the media. I do t want his ilk at Tha Valley.
  • Just shows how desperate the situation we are in is, when there's people calling to bring back powell!
  • Sponsored links:

• Id take harry redknapp at this point. million percent. Just now till end of the season.

wed be absolute mugs not to.

The most unlikely thing to ever happen though apart from RD selling the club
  • If the club are serious about building something long term (LOL) then, at this moment in time, Justin Edinburgh would be my stand out candidate.

His team plays organised, attacking football and he would follow a recent trend of Championship clubs hiring promising manager from the lower leagues. There's been Rowett to Brum, Smith to Brentford and Hasselbaink to QPR, even Eddie Howe went to Burnley. Plus, he's the obvious local candidate.
  • seth plum said:

I'd put money on it being Malky McKay, I think he would be desperate enough to enter the network and would agree to having some decisions made for him. It also means that Charlton can claim to an extent to 'have listened' to the fans in wanting a British manager, what's the betting that they would also wheel Murray or Squirrel Face out and say something along the lines of "we realised we need a manager who knows the division".

If this happens I won't attend neither will my son.
    I wouldn't, personally, go that far (although I completely understand why you would) but I would be very disappointed. I think he is a poor manager (taking so long to get Cardiff promoted with the money he was allowed to spend) and was found out in the Premier League.

Even ignoring the racism and sexism he had a public spat with the chairman in the media. I do t want his ilk at Tha Valley.
    Sorry but i think that peoples dislike of Malky is effecting their memory.

First season at cardiff he got to the league cup final (losing on penalties to liverpool) and finished in the play-offs (losing over two legs to eventual winners westham). Second season he won the championship.
  • The field can be considerably narrowed as the person has to agree to do as Roland and Katrien want, so it is someone with little pride and, presumably, a desperation to manage. Which can only end in tears.
  • If the club are serious about building something long term (LOL) then, at this moment in time, Justin Edinburgh would be my stand out candidate.

His team plays organised, attacking football and he would follow a recent trend of Championship clubs hiring promising manager from the lower leagues. There's been Rowett to Brum, Smith to Brentford and Hasselbaink to QPR, even Eddie Howe went to Burnley. Plus, he's the obvious local candidate.

I can't see him swapping a team second in L1 for a team second bottom of the Championship. JFH and Dean Smith both went to teams with better aspirations than survival, though having said that QPR are much nearer the relegation places than the playoffs!
  • Stephen Fry. Probably not much of a football manager but charming as f*ck.

I really, really rate Gary Monk. I think Paul Lambert would do a job, although what he did with Villa is...discouraging. Don't particularly rate Pearson, I think he's like a slightly younger Warnock-manager who does well with a big budget in the Championship.

I don't want anything to do with McKay. Disgusting human being.

I've said it before but there just isn't a huge depth to talented British managers. The reasons are for another thread.
  • Peter Taylor was Alan Curbishley's choice for successor in 2006, and was lined up to be interviewed, but pulled out after being told he was no longer the only person under consideration when Dowie came into the picture. (This is from Taylor's evidence to the Palace/Dowie court case the following year.)
  • Monk for me an all, and I've also seen Lomas mentioned on Facebook pages, just to stick another name in the mix
  • Macronate said:

Kevin Keegan
    Glen Hoddle
    Graham Taylor
    George Graham
    Ron Atkinson
    Terry Venables

any of those please.

Wouldn't we need to get permission from the Old Pensioners Home to take some of them out for a Saturday afternoon?
  • Why has Noel Edmunds not made the list?