Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New British manager? Who are the runners and riders?

Comments

• The big question is would they only offer any of those people mentioned the role as manager, or just head coach?

If they offer McKay, Pearson, et al anything short of full manager, they will tell the Belgian mafia to poke it. And so they should. This head coach model has failed big time.

I'm worried that they will still try an persist with it.
  • Not many riders but there will be a lot of runners....
  • Would like someone like pearson, mackay, Clarke, powell or curbs. But come on we know it's going to be someone from his network. Ok maybe not the guy from Hungary but it'll be that guy from stvv or some other unknown.

Really hope I'm wrong but don't think I will be
  • Some of the names mentioned are as bad as the choices Roland, Miere and Murray have had. Scary stuff.
  • Yet again this administration have given us another example of how fucking useless they really are. That whole couple of hours y'day where they the got rid of KF only to be turned down by this former indoor footballer, I mean the magnitude of how laughable that all was can never be quantified. For me they're probably gonna let Wim De Corte run with it, because I can't imagine they'll get many true applications. Anyone sad to see KF go need not worry, because you'll still see some of his work playing for us next year in League One, when we bring the new batch of very young foreign shite in over the summer
  • It could prove difficult to sell the club to a proven "British" manager.

Destined for L1. The new guy would either be prepared to manage in L1, or we will appoint someone until end of season and then assess the situation.
  • Why has Noel Edmunds not made the list?

To busy partying
  • Sky bet have the following names.
    Nebojsa Vignjevic 11/8
    Jose Riga 7/2
    Wim De Corte 8/1
    Jason Euell 8/1
    Malky Mackay 10/1
    Chris Powell 12/1
    Peter Taylor 12/1
    Phil Parkinson 18/1
    Yannick Ferrera 18/1
    Tim Sherwood 25/1
    Gary Bowyer 25/1
    Bob Peeters 25/1
    Steve Clarke 25/1
    Guy Luzon 28/1
    Uwe Rosler 28/1
    Ivan Vukomanovic 33/1
    Gus Poyet 33/1
    Garry Monk 33/1
    Alan Curbishley 33/1
  • Warnock would be good for the players but can you imagine the bust ups he'd have with KM!? I think we're doomed this season. It'd be tough with a decent manager but impossible with the yes man they'll appoint, regardless of his nationality.
  • Valley11 said:

Warnock would be good for the players but can you imagine the bust ups he'd have with KM!? I think we're doomed this season. It'd be tough with a decent manager but impossible with the yes man they'll appoint, regardless of his nationality.

Warnock would be a hoot.

Imagine the uproar if he could not turn things around, his palice connections would not go down well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dr kish saying Meire wanted to bring in a British coach after Peeters was sacked. Anyone know where or when that was said at the time as I don't recall it?

I just want someone fit for purpose. Would prefer one of the ones I mentioned but they just need to have a good reputation in this country for me.
  • Lee Clark, not my 1st choice but a realistic one. Not many managers would work for this lot
  • edited January 2016
    Loup086 said:

Sky bet have the following names.
    Nebojsa Vignjevic 11/8
    Jose Riga 7/2
    Wim De Corte 8/1
    Jason Euell 8/1
    Malky Mackay 10/1
    Chris Powell 12/1
    Peter Taylor 12/1
    Phil Parkinson 18/1
    Yannick Ferrera 18/1
    Tim Sherwood 25/1
    Gary Bowyer 25/1
    Bob Peeters 25/1
    Steve Clarke 25/1
    Guy Luzon 28/1
    Uwe Rosler 28/1
    Ivan Vukomanovic 33/1
    Gus Poyet 33/1
    Garry Monk 33/1
    Alan Curbishley 33/1

I cannot get my head round why the markets would even include GL and BP, let alone at those odds. Even for RD, that would be some feat if he brought either of those back
  • First choice curbs then
    Steve Clarke
    Gus poyet
    Nigel Pearson

• Gary Bowyer would be a great appointment, in terms of steadying the ship. Did a great job, making Blackburn stable again, and he's also used to working with owners, who know nothing about football.

Had his charisma bypass performed by the same surgeon as Fraeye
  • JS5 said:

Lee Clark, not my 1st choice but a realistic one. Not many managers would work for this lot

Lee Clark went to work for the Oystons so could happen.
  • Poyet already has a job at AEK Athens.
  • Apparently it's Theo Foley.
  • First choice curbs then
    Steve Clarke
    Gus poyet
    Nigel Pearson

Good choices, I wouldn't say no. Certainly better than Warnock/Monk/McKay and the like.

I dunno why Monk is even mentioned. He had a great squad at Swansea and wasn't up to the task. He would get a comparatively crap squad here so why do people think he could drag us up the table? No thanks.
  • Lee Clark NO! Rather than thinking of guys who would work with Rolands plan lets try to persuade him that his plan is shit and he needs to really get the best manager he can afford and to give him sole responsibility for signings and team selections. Start from scratch and build a team.
    Best case scenario as i do not think Roly is going anywhere for the time being.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

I'd put money on it being Malky McKay, I think he would be desperate enough to enter the network and would agree to having some decisions made for him. It also means that Charlton can claim to an extent to 'have listened' to the fans in wanting a British manager, what's the betting that they would also wheel Murray or Squirrel Face out and say something along the lines of "we realised we need a manager who knows the division".

If this happens I won't attend neither will my son.
    I wouldn't, personally, go that far (although I completely understand why you would) but I would be very disappointed. I think he is a poor manager (taking so long to get Cardiff promoted with the money he was allowed to spend) and was found out in the Premier League.

Even ignoring the racism and sexism he had a public spat with the chairman in the media. I do t want his ilk at Tha Valley.
    Sorry but i think that peoples dislike of Malky is effecting their memory.

First season at cardiff he got to the league cup final (losing on penalties to liverpool) and finished in the play-offs (losing over two legs to eventual winners westham). Second season he won the championship.
    How did he do at Wigan again?
  • Someone cheap, that wants a job, that likes a challenge (both of dealing with the owners and turning the season around).

The problem is any decent manager will only take jobs that are calculated risks, they don't want a catastrophe on their cv. One thing in our favour is whoever comes in now will not be blamed by the media as they know the score.
  • edited January 2016
    I'd rather OohAahMortimer than Colin Wanker me

10-1 Mackay looks value.

It's gonna be a no morals would work with anyone desperado type.

Billy Daviesque type.
  • Sorry mate gotta put feelings aside Warnock would be ideal candidate.
  • Iain Dowie as a celebration on his 10th anniversary of appointment as Charlton Manager.
  • edited January 2016

Sorry mate gotta put feelings aside Warnock would be ideal candidate.

Shows how far we have fallen.

Ian Holloway, there's another one.
  • Nope Holloway is a clueless twat, Warnock is a good manager.
  • Not a lot to chose from at all. Warnock or Pearson wouldn't be the end of the world and either would put Meire firmly in her place. First choice would probably be Steve Clarke though. If RD won't spend then I'd imagine Clarke would be pretty effective in the loan market.
  • Ron Manager? Jumpers for goalposts, small boys running around the park....Marvelous.
  • rikofold said:

seth plum said:

I'd put money on it being Malky McKay, I think he would be desperate enough to enter the network and would agree to having some decisions made for him. It also means that Charlton can claim to an extent to 'have listened' to the fans in wanting a British manager, what's the betting that they would also wheel Murray or Squirrel Face out and say something along the lines of "we realised we need a manager who knows the division".

I wouldn't, personally, go that far (although I completely understand why you would) but I would be very disappointed. I think he is a poor manager (taking so long to get Cardiff promoted with the money he was allowed to spend) and was found out in the Premier League.

Even ignoring the racism and sexism he had a public spat with the chairman in the media. I do t want his ilk at Tha Valley.

First season at cardiff he got to the league cup final (losing on penalties to liverpool) and finished in the play-offs (losing over two legs to eventual winners westham). Second season he won the championship.
    rikofold said:

seth plum said:

Remind me how Pardew did with us? Now look at the big nose fecker