Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New British manager? Who are the runners and riders?

Comments

• Monk would be brilliant but can't see us getting him, the same as I can't see us getting Person.

Realistically, Clarke, Poyet or Edinburgh.

Can you explain why you'd want Monk? All I see is a nobody who got the sack from Swansea after presiding over a period of games where he got one win in 11. I'm genuinely interested as to why people rate him, because I don't.
    I fancy the arse off of Monk. Would be my wildest dream to wake up and find him in my bed (providing Mr Tatters had gone to work). Sorry, frivolous answer.
  • Monk would be brilliant but can't see us getting him, the same as I can't see us getting Pearson.

Don't think we'll get Poyet as he's in Greece with AEK Athens, unless he wants to move back to England for family
  • Monk would be brilliant but can't see us getting him, the same as I can't see us getting Person.

Can you explain why you'd want Monk? All I see is a nobody who got the sack from Swansea after presiding over a period of games where he got one win in 11. I'm genuinely interested as to why people rate him, because I don't.
    Agreed, he took over a club which has been playing a certain way and just carried on, when the Shit hit the fan he felled to get them out a slump.

I fancy the arse off of Monk. Would be my wildest dream to wake up and find him in my bed (providing Mr Tatters had gone to work). Sorry, frivolous answer.
    You can do better mate...
  • Chris o loughlin now on sky bet 16/1.
  • edited January 2016
    seth plum said:

My wife is Chinese, my son mixed race, many of my friends and acquaintances are Chinese. How on earth can I support MacKay? He is a proud racist, one who hates my nearest and dearest simply because of ethnicity.

But a club renowned for it's work against racism couldn't hire a known racist, could it?
  • cfgs said:

Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 8m8 minutes ago England, United Kingdom
    Had press release claiming #cafc goalkeeping "legend" Graham Tutt is being considered as the new head coach.

Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 4m4 minutes ago England, United Kingdom
    To be clear - this is a press release from Tutt's "agent". I wouldn't be lumping any money on at the bookies. #cafc

We will be in safe hands and appointing a goalkeeper as a manager would definitely be thinking inside the box......etc etc.

@Tutt-Tutt

He took over a side in a relegation battle in the Premier League, improved their form and they survived, continuing to play excellent football. He then presided over an eighth place finish that included doubles over Arsenal and Manchester United. That is pretty impressive.

Last season though (the one year he had the job full-time) he kept Swansea around 8th / 9th for the whole season.

What didnt help him was the fact they sold Wilfried Bony, whilst Michu had lost his touch from when he first joined so he had those two to replace and I've never ever rated Gomis, think he's rubbish
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2016
    I like Monk because he gets his team playing good, quality, high-pressing football. I admire his dedication to the job too and is always looking at ways of improving. He's young, he's going to have blips, but it's unfair to judge him on the last few games at Swansea. They sold their best player and didn't replace him and I think there are bigger problems at Swansea this season. They've hardly improved since he left have they?

Pre-season at a Premier League club: sprints, drones and Snoozeboxes

http://gu.com/p/4aymc?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
  • seth plum said:

My wife is Chinese, my son mixed race, many of my friends and acquaintances are Chinese. How on earth can I support MacKay? He is a proud racist, one who hates my nearest and dearest simply because of ethnicity.

I am Chinese, so how do people think I would I feel?
  • Warnock/Monk/Pearson/Edinburgh any of those and I would be happy but deep down we know it is going to be the St Truiden guy surely.
  • All fair points on Monk, thanks for the input.
  • All fair points on Monk, thanks for the input.

@Arsenetatters was easily the best business/football case for getting him in
  • If KM was brave, they would call Curbs, give him a brief to find and interview the best candidates on the assumption that his word would be final.,
  • barstool said:

If KM was brave, they would call Curbs, give him a brief to find and interview the best candidates on the assumption that his word would be final.,

I'd take Curbs in a flash, but I know he has no chance of even being asked, let alone getting the autonomy he would want to get the job done.
  • No doubt KM is seeing that we want Monk so we'll end up with this bloke!! - For one thing he's going to be awful communicating!!

• Let's be honest, Monk isnt on our radar
  • Sponsored links:

• More likely a Belgium monk!
  • _nam11 said:

Madz said:

Dr kish saying Meire wanted to bring in a British coach after Peeters was sacked. Anyone know where or when that was said at the time as I don't recall it?

I just want someone fit for purpose. Would prefer one of the ones I mentioned but they just need to have a good reputation in this country for me.

KM wanted Riga. RD over ruled and wanted Bob
    But that's not saying she wanted British. Unless I'm still missing something
  • Not a lot to chose from at all. Warnock or Pearson wouldn't be the end of the world and either would put Meire firmly in her place. First choice would probably be Steve Clarke though. If RD won't spend then I'd imagine Clarke would be pretty effective in the loan market.

compared to the drivel we've had it would make these two look like Fergie....
  • News Shopper Sport ‏@NewsShopperSprt 5m5 minutes ago
    "One of the shortlisted people for the Charlton head coach job is Graham Tutt," says Graham Tutt's agent. #cafc

• edited January 2016
    I think we're all hallucinating, no matter what's been said do we honestly believe they'll be a British manager appointed, that would go against everything they've done so far, they won't back down so what's the point of getting mildly excited over a potential British manager when it ain't gonna happen!... on the other hand Nebojsa looks a proper hard nut so maybe not a yea man...
  • All this talk of the owner knowing nothing about football. I wonder if some on here are the same.
  • I can't see any way that Roland will have a genuine recruitment process based on merit. It goes against all his mad beliefs. The only way we'll get a British manager is if Euell accepts the poison chalice. I hope he doesn't, our club is dishonest through and through now, whatever spin the OS puts on it. Euell and de Corte are joint favourites at 8/1.
  • It will I'm sure come down to cost.

The idea of getting Pearson is bonkers, we couldn't afford his driver. Fulham didn't take him because he insisted that they bring his whole back staff in from Leicester will all the compensation that would cost.

We'll get a bargain basement out of work British guy, we'll moan about it and Katrien won't understand what all the fuss is about.
  • We will get the Roger Johnson or Vaz Te or Chris Eagles of a manager if they go outside the inner group. It all depends on who has the best agent.
  • It'll be Euell, de Corte, O'Laughlin or Riga. There are only 2 types of men who would take this job on. Those desperate enough or stupid enough. We wont get Pearson, Monk, Curbs, Powell, Warnock, Edinburgh etc. they just wouldn't want to come to Charlton. We are a team going down, with (or without) a head coach who does not have a say in the players the club buys or the team he can play. Who would want that on their CV?