Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New British manager? Who are the runners and riders?

Comments

• If the club are serious about building something long term (LOL) then, at this moment in time, Justin Edinburgh would be my stand out candidate.

His team plays organised, attacking football and he would follow a recent trend of Championship clubs hiring promising manager from the lower leagues. There's been Rowett to Brum, Smith to Brentford and Hasselbaink to QPR, even Eddie Howe went to Burnley. Plus, he's the obvious local candidate.

Not forgetting the amazing work Lambert and Adkins did getting from L1 to the Premiership. Knowing us though we'd get the one dud if we went for it.
  • Thing is, Say Wim wins 4/5 of his next games ... Puts him in the running.

Just let that sink in..

You might as well say, "Imagine you wake up in the morning with Cameron Diaz and Reece Witherspoon wrestling naked at the end of you bed over who gets to blow you first."

It's about as likely as the latest Belgian twat winning any games for us.
  • Ideal Choice... Justin Edinburgh / Steve Clarke / Jose Riga (If we go foreign)

Would be happy with... Jason Euell / Malky Mackay / Phil Parkinson / Gary Bowyer
  • If the club are serious about building something long term (LOL) then, at this moment in time, Justin Edinburgh would be my stand out candidate.

His team plays organised, attacking football and he would follow a recent trend of Championship clubs hiring promising manager from the lower leagues. There's been Rowett to Brum, Smith to Brentford and Hasselbaink to QPR, even Eddie Howe went to Burnley. Plus, he's the obvious local candidate.

Not forgetting the amazing work Lambert and Adkins did getting from L1 to the Premiership. Knowing us though we'd get the one dud if we went for it.
    I think we are cursed
  • Ideal Choice... Justin Edinburgh / Steve Clarke / Jose Riga (If we go foreign)

Would be happy with... Jason Euell / Malky Mackay / Phil Parkinson / Gary Bowyer

Parkinson? that's an interesting one.
  • Thing is, Say Wim wins 4/5 of his next games ... Puts him in the running.

Just let that sink in..

You might as well say, "Imagine you wake up in the morning with Cameron Diaz and Reece Witherspoon wrestling naked at the end of you bed over who gets to blow you first."

It's about as likely as the latest Belgian twat winning any games for us.
    Sorry what did the second paragraph say, I was occupied.
  • Can't see someone like Warnock putting up with KM.
  • edited January 2016
    Madz said:

Dr kish saying Meire wanted to bring in a British coach after Peeters was sacked. Anyone know where or when that was said at the time as I don't recall it?

I just want someone fit for purpose. Would prefer one of the ones I mentioned but they just need to have a good reputation in this country for me.

KM wanted Riga. RD over ruled and wanted Bob
  • Tbh I'm not as hung up on them having to be British as others are but I understand why they would like him/her to be.

I just want a coach (let's be honest we aren't going to get a traditional manager are we) that's got a decent track record and can command the respect of the dressing room for once.

We aren't in the position where we can afford to take a punt on a young, unproven coach unfortunately. It would of course be beyond our wildest dreams if they approached Curbs with a short term deal to the end of the season with a promise of a job upstairs and some input into his replacement for 16/17. But that would mean massive amounts of humble pie being served up in the boardroom.

Whoever it is I'm braced for the disappointment and the links to their Wikipedia page when we all go "Who???"
  • Sponsored links:

• Reckon it'll be Jason Euell till the end of the season.
  • Madz said:

Ideal Choice... Justin Edinburgh / Steve Clarke / Jose Riga (If we go foreign)

Parkinson? that's an interesting one.
    Apart from Edinburgh took the list of names from the SkyBet odds mentioned on Page.5
  • I just cannot get excited about any appointment under this lot. In fact I was hoping they've gave it to the former indoor footballer as another statement of ineptitude on their part. I think a lot of us are over estimating the squad's ability to turn it round, even with an experienced manager. I don't think our first choice XI (my interpretation) are good enough to keep us up

Hendo

Solly Bauer Lennon/Johnson Fox

JBG Cousins Poyet Jackson Harriott

Vetokele/Vaz Te

That's just my picks based on our current squad, I'm sure a few of you will differ in who you think we should play

And of those players, JBG who is arguably our most creative player and biggest threat has been massively off the pace this season. We might get a similar reaction to when we got Pardew in if it's an experienced manager, but we will ultimately fall short

Then you've got to factor in injuries and the shit that could come in to replace any of those

Mak
    Reza
    Moussa
    Ceballos (He's purely in here because I haven't seen enough of him)
    Bergdich
    Ba

I left Lookman out because it wouldn't surprise me if he were sold, and it's unfair to rely on all these poor youngsters anyway.

We are not strong enough to stay up
  • Think it will be Riga on a 2 season contract
  • I've got two options really. Nigel Pearson for his experience or Justin Edinburgh due to the fact he is clearly an up and coming and has done well all the way through his managerial career so far. I don't think we'll get either, but if I could choose, one of those would be great.
  • It will be Riga or Mackay. Don't rate either but Riga seems stupid enough and Mackay desperate enough.
  • It will be Riga or Mackay. Don't rate either but Riga seems stupid enough and Mackay desperate enough.

Probably right. If it's one of those two, I'd prefer Riga. MacKay did a terrible job with Wigan in the same position as us. Granted he did a good job at Cardiff but they were throwing money at the team.
  • cabbles said:

I just cannot get excited about any appointment under this lot. In fact I was hoping they've gave it to the former indoor footballer as another statement of ineptitude on their part. I think a lot of us are over estimating the squad's ability to turn it round, even with an experienced manager. I don't think our first choice XI (my interpretation) are good enough to keep us up

Hendo

Vetokele/Vaz Te

That's just my picks based on our current squad, I'm sure a few of you will differ in who you think we should play

And of those players, JBG who is arguably our most creative player and biggest threat has been massively off the pace this season. We might get a similar reaction to when we got Pardew in if it's an experienced manager, but we will ultimately fall short

Then you've got to factor in injuries and the shit that could come in to replace any of those

Mak
    Reza
    Moussa
    Bergdich
    Ba

I left Lookman out because it wouldn't surprise me if he were sold, and it's unfair to rely on all these poor youngsters anyway.

Wouldn't like the next manager to be you if you don't think Diarra warrants a place on your bench
  • seth plum said:

My wife is Chinese, my son mixed race, many of my friends and acquaintances are Chinese. How on earth can I support MacKay? He is a proud racist, one who hates my nearest and dearest simply because of ethnicity.

Hardly a proud racist.

Maybe just a racist.
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 8m8 minutes ago England, United Kingdom
    Had press release claiming #cafc goalkeeping "legend" Graham Tutt is being considered as the new head coach.

Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 4m4 minutes ago England, United Kingdom
    To be clear - this is a press release from Tutt's "agent". I wouldn't be lumping any money on at the bookies. #cafc

We will be in safe hands and appointing a goalkeeper as a manager would definitely be thinking inside the box......etc etc.
  • cabbles said:

I just cannot get excited about any appointment under this lot. In fact I was hoping they've gave it to the former indoor footballer as another statement of ineptitude on their part. I think a lot of us are over estimating the squad's ability to turn it round, even with an experienced manager. I don't think our first choice XI (my interpretation) are good enough to keep us up

Hendo

Vetokele/Vaz Te

Mak
    Reza
    Moussa
    Bergdich
    Ba

Wouldn't like the next manager to be you if you don't think Diarra warrants a place on your bench
    Ha, of course, forgot about the big man. I would actually have the big man in midfield but then who would you drop
  • cfgs said:

Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 8m8 minutes ago England, United Kingdom
    Had press release claiming #cafc goalkeeping "legend" Graham Tutt is being considered as the new head coach.

To be clear - this is a press release from Tutt's "agent". I wouldn't be lumping any money on at the bookies. #cafc

We will be in safe hands and appointing a goalkeeper as a manager would definitely be thinking inside the box......etc etc.

He managed Life University between 1991 and 2001... Isnt he a bit... Over-Qualified?
  • edited January 2016
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Hendo

Vetokele/Vaz Te

Mak
    Reza
    Moussa
    Bergdich
    Ba

Ha, of course, forgot about the big man. I would actually have the big man in midfield but then who would you drop
    He is obviously better in midfield, but I'd prefer him as centre back over Lennon right now. Poyet is only on loan so maybe finish out the season in the back four until we can replace Poyet in midfield and find a decent partner for Bauer. Also, Jackson isn't going to play every game so he might have to slot in Jacko's slot from time to time.
  • cfgs said:

Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 8m8 minutes ago England, United Kingdom

At least he could turn a blind eye to what's going on in the boardroom
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Hendo

Vetokele/Vaz Te

Mak
    Reza
    Moussa
    Bergdich
    Ba

If poyet is nearly the player he was before I'd play Diarra cb, he's a better cm but our options a lot weaker in defence.
  • edited January 2016
    Monk would be brilliant but can't see us getting him, the same as I can't see us getting Pearson.

Realistically, Clarke, Poyet or Edinburgh.
  • rikofold said:

seth plum said:

I'd put money on it being Malky McKay, I think he would be desperate enough to enter the network and would agree to having some decisions made for him. It also means that Charlton can claim to an extent to 'have listened' to the fans in wanting a British manager, what's the betting that they would also wheel Murray or Squirrel Face out and say something along the lines of "we realised we need a manager who knows the division".

If this happens I won't attend neither will my son.
    I wouldn't, personally, go that far (although I completely understand why you would) but I would be very disappointed. I think he is a poor manager (taking so long to get Cardiff promoted with the money he was allowed to spend) and was found out in the Premier League.

Even ignoring the racism and sexism he had a public spat with the chairman in the media. I do t want his ilk at Tha Valley.
    Sorry but i think that peoples dislike of Malky is effecting their memory.

First season at cardiff he got to the league cup final (losing on penalties to liverpool) and finished in the play-offs (losing over two legs to eventual winners westham). Second season he won the championship.
    How did he do at Wigan again?
    rikofold said:

seth plum said:

I'd put money on it being Malky McKay, I think he would be desperate enough to enter the network and would agree to having some decisions made for him. It also means that Charlton can claim to an extent to 'have listened' to the fans in wanting a British manager, what's the betting that they would also wheel Murray or Squirrel Face out and say something along the lines of "we realised we need a manager who knows the division".

If this happens I won't attend neither will my son.
    I wouldn't, personally, go that far (although I completely understand why you would) but I would be very disappointed. I think he is a poor manager (taking so long to get Cardiff promoted with the money he was allowed to spend) and was found out in the Premier League.

Even ignoring the racism and sexism he had a public spat with the chairman in the media. I do t want his ilk at Tha Valley.
    Sorry but i think that peoples dislike of Malky is effecting their memory.

First season at cardiff he got to the league cup final (losing on penalties to liverpool) and finished in the play-offs (losing over two legs to eventual winners westham). Second season he won the championship.
    How did he do at Wigan again?
    Remind me how Pardew did with us? Now look at the big nose fecker
    Well yes, at one of the best run clubs in the country. Spot the difference.
  • Monk would be brilliant but can't see us getting him, the same as I can't see us getting Person.

Realistically, Clarke, Poyet or Edinburgh.

Can you explain why you'd want Monk? All I see is a nobody who got the sack from Swansea after presiding over a period of games where he got one win in 11. I'm genuinely interested as to why people rate him, because I don't.