Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reece Oxford - loan ?

Comments

• Options
    This time two years ago we signed Anil Koc... now our manager's turning down Reece Oxford. In Katrien's world that must mean we're progressing.

Perhaps Jose is looking at the table upside down?
  • Options
    Those who are stating that this is Riga standing up to the regime need to remember that he's a network man through and through who's worked for Roland Rat several times.
  • Options
    Didn't Oxford beat Millwall at the Den two weeks ago?

He's obviously not a proper Charlton player.
  • Options

Forget the player - the issue is that he was signing until Riga blocked it. How is Riga not involved at the outset of the discussion?

Who is doing these deals and on what basis?

It defies belief that the Coach is not getting involved in what player comes in. But this is Charlton 2016 so I am not really surprised at anything.

• Options
    Reece playing in defence would allow us to defend a further 10/20 yards up the pitch allowing the midfield to play nearer forwards and retain possession better. Poyet would come to the fore with simple passes. Even if Bauer gets back, RO could go left back as Gomez did at 'Pool.
  • Options

Reece playing in defence would allow us to defend a further 10/20 yards up the pitch allowing the midfield to play nearer forwards and retain possession better. Poyet would come to the fore with simple passes. Even if Bauer gets back, RO could go left back as Gomez did at 'Pool.

And Tony Watt can start his mazy dribbles further up the pitch and get into the box...Oh!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I didnt think that Reece Oxford could play Left-Back though (He's Right footed)...

Easiest way to get out of this mess is to put round pegs in round holes despite people not being a fan of Morgan Fox
  • Options
    I trust Riga.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Forget the player - the issue is that he was signing until Riga blocked it. How is Riga not involved at the outset of the discussion?

The mystery recruiter.....could it be Fraeye?
  • Options

I didnt think that Reece Oxford could play Left-Back though (He's Right footed)...

Easiest way to get out of this mess is to put round pegs in round holes despite people not being a fan of Morgan Fox
    The right footed Gomez did ok in Prem playing LB. Pace gives you extra time. Fox has none, nor many other qualities apart from a decent cross on the rare occasions he ventures over halfway.
  • Options
    Has he signed yet?
  • Options

The right footed Gomez did ok in Prem playing LB. Pace gives you extra time. Fox has none, nor many other qualities apart from a decent cross on the rare occasions he ventures over halfway.
    Yeah cos he wasn't part of a relegation battle and part of a team that hadn't won in twelve games!!

If your going to play someone at Left-Back... Make it a Left-Back
    If your going to play someone as a Striker... Make it a Striker

Its partly the stupidity of playing players randomly out of position that has got us into this mess, i.e. had Solly stayed at Right-Back against Nottingham Forest we could have won that match, but no, the idiot in charge just had to move the Right-Back into Midfield putting a Left-Back in his position, that bit of cleverness worked out well didnt it
  • Options
    Perhaps Riga is only allowed one more player to come in and decided he would rather have an attacking player than a defensive one
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Perhaps Riga is only allowed one more player to come in and decided he would rather have an attacking player than a defensive one

A major dilemma that is with 12 goals conceded and 1 scored in 3 matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Granpa said:

I trust Riga.

He's made a fucking huge error on this one though.

In a few years time when Oxford is an England regular and we're slumming it in league 2, it'll be forever mentioned that Charlton once turned him down because they didn't know who he was.
    Sorry to disagree but we need Championship experienced players right Now. He may be good in the future but he isn't right for us now.
  • Options
    According to this morning's Super Soar-away Sun (so it must be true), Charlton did call the deal off because Riga was unaware of the player's arrival. The article goes on to say that talks are ongoing between the clubs to see if the deal can be revived.
    Airman is right, how can JR be left out of player recruitment? My hope is that JR can get himself satisfied that the player can help our cause.
  • Options
    Top post Garry and agree 100% those who are really good enough (Gomez) get sold quickly and those who aren't get the stuffing knocked out them playing in a shit team. This plan is SO flawed it beggers belief.

As for this loan deal what was Riga doing? Or was it his decision? We'll never know I guess.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

He's not played at Championship level - he's played in the Premier League which is a slightly higher standard in case anyone was wondering...

He's played in the Premier League four times. In case you were wondering.
    That's four games at a considerably higher standard than any matches we'll be involved in this season in case you were wondering. MOM at the Emirates? Gave the ball away once in 79 minutes?

Nope, not the kind of player we need...
    I'm reading this a lot... Now I know he's only 17-years of age, but why hasn't he kicked on with West Ham if this the case?
    Because teams that aren't Charlton can actually afford to ease their young players into first team football at a pace that will benefit them in the long term. Oxford has been excellent every time he's played and that will fill him with confidence. He has had no pressure on his shoulders and hasn't been thrown into difficult games just because there is no-one else available to fill his role. If he'd played badly in the games he'd been put into it wouldn't derail his development because he'd no doubt he told that it's a learning curve and he's got plenty of time. Conversely, the likes of Harry Lennon and Karlan Ahearne-Grant have to live with the fact that every poor or naive performance from them pushes us closer to relegation, knowing that they can't back out or look to more experienced players for support because of the threadbare squad. When he first got into the team this season Lennon looked to his left and saw another Academy graduate in need of a break and looked to his right and saw 22 year old Naby Sarr Bambi-on-icing his balls off and panicking.

It's completely unfair the amount of pressure our youth players are put under and it's something people should really bear in mind every time the investment in the Academy is brought up as a positive of the Duchatelet reign. Sure, more money is being pumped into the Academy, but at the expense of the positive development of our youngsters. Any player who is good enough to cope with the pressure and pace of the Championship aged 17 or 18 will be sold on to a club who can make a better fist of their development and any player who struggles with it will be forced to continue on in the role, wrecking their confidence, savaging their development and potentially stopping them from becoming the player they could be. Yeah, it's fucking brilliant this Academy development plan.

Really good post... My original question wasnt accusing Reece Oxford of taking a step back since his debut, I would have just have expected to see him play more often if he was as a class as the press had been saying he was (like when Rooney burst on to the scene)... You answered my question brilliantly though
  • Options
    Maybe riga is trying to put his foot down on how players are recruited, for example who has the final say.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

It defies belief that the Coach is not getting involved in what player comes in. But this is Charlton 2016 so I am not really surprised at anything.

Looking on the bright side, suppose it is a step in the right direction that he found out before he was due to arrive, rather than having him turn up downstairs like Powell did.

Another fine example of the progress KM likes to talk about.
  • Options
    First off let me state I like Riga. However. If the reason Riga pulled the plug is because he didn't know who Oxford was it only highlights our recruitment problem even more. There is no one at the club with a good working knowledge of English football. Riga certainly won't know players like Oxford or for that matter Lee Tomlin. I suspect Oxford not signing will turn out to be an own goal scored by us yet again. We are a shambles.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:

Yesterday, when we thought he was signing, everyone was saying "he's not the sort of player we need". Now that it looks like he is not going to sign, there's loads of moaning about that. Just cannot win with our fans.

I do think you make a good point....but, I don't think that is really what the fans are moaning about. I think a lot of people realise it is a massive gamble to bring in yet another very young player, no matter how good, who doesn't have championship experience. But those same people also realise, we do need an alternative, and it's the lack of alternative that is really the issue, and perhaps, if Riga was saying "I don't want Oxford, I want XXXX" or " I don't think Oxford is who we need right now, we need XXXX".......I think fans would be a lot more understanding.

Again though, it's dire communication from the club that is causing problems.