Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reece Oxford - loan ?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2016
    braydex said:

redbuttle said:

Yesterday, when we thought he was signing, everyone was saying "he's not the sort of player we need". Now that it looks like he is not going to sign, there's loads of moaning about that. Just cannot win with our fans.

Again though, it's dire communication from the club that is causing problems.
    Not so much as dire communication as virtually no communication. In the social media age these snippets of information spread so quickly. Most of us knew about Williams, Teix and even Riga long before any comment or update from the club. They don't have to respond but not doing so makes them look like they don't know what's going on....(shock, horror).
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

He's not played at Championship level - he's played in the Premier League which is a slightly higher standard in case anyone was wondering...

He's played in the Premier League four times. In case you were wondering.
    That's four games at a considerably higher standard than any matches we'll be involved in this season in case you were wondering. MOM at the Emirates? Gave the ball away once in 79 minutes?

Nope, not the kind of player we need...
    I'm reading this a lot... Now I know he's only 17-years of age, but why hasn't he kicked on with West Ham if this the case?
    Because teams that aren't Charlton can actually afford to ease their young players into first team football at a pace that will benefit them in the long term. Oxford has been excellent every time he's played and that will fill him with confidence. He has had no pressure on his shoulders and hasn't been thrown into difficult games just because there is no-one else available to fill his role. If he'd played badly in the games he'd been put into it wouldn't derail his development because he'd no doubt he told that it's a learning curve and he's got plenty of time. Conversely, the likes of Harry Lennon and Karlan Ahearne-Grant have to live with the fact that every poor or naive performance from them pushes us closer to relegation, knowing that they can't back out or look to more experienced players for support because of the threadbare squad. When he first got into the team this season Lennon looked to his left and saw another Academy graduate in need of a break and looked to his right and saw 22 year old Naby Sarr Bambi-on-icing his balls off and panicking.

It's completely unfair the amount of pressure our youth players are put under and it's something people should really bear in mind every time the investment in the Academy is brought up as a positive of the Duchatelet reign. Sure, more money is being pumped into the Academy, but at the expense of the positive development of our youngsters. Any player who is good enough to cope with the pressure and pace of the Championship aged 17 or 18 will be sold on to a club who can make a better fist of their development and any player who struggles with it will be forced to continue on in the role, wrecking their confidence, savaging their development and potentially stopping them from becoming the player they could be. Yeah, it's fucking brilliant this Academy development plan.

Really good post... My original question wasnt accusing Reece Oxford of taking a step back since his debut, I would have just have expected to see him play more often if he was as a class as the press had been saying he was (like when Rooney burst on to the scene)... You answered my question brilliantly though
    Yeah sorry, I initially was just replying to your post but then I sort of went into full rant mode.I don't blame you for our Academy plan. Unless you made the plan, in which case please read above.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

He's not played at Championship level - he's played in the Premier League which is a slightly higher standard in case anyone was wondering...

That's four games at a considerably higher standard than any matches we'll be involved in this season in case you were wondering. MOM at the Emirates? Gave the ball away once in 79 minutes?

I'm reading this a lot... Now I know he's only 17-years of age, but why hasn't he kicked on with West Ham if this the case?
    Because teams that aren't Charlton can actually afford to ease their young players into first team football at a pace that will benefit them in the long term. Oxford has been excellent every time he's played and that will fill him with confidence. He has had no pressure on his shoulders and hasn't been thrown into difficult games just because there is no-one else available to fill his role. If he'd played badly in the games he'd been put into it wouldn't derail his development because he'd no doubt he told that it's a learning curve and he's got plenty of time. Conversely, the likes of Harry Lennon and Karlan Ahearne-Grant have to live with the fact that every poor or naive performance from them pushes us closer to relegation, knowing that they can't back out or look to more experienced players for support because of the threadbare squad. When he first got into the team this season Lennon looked to his left and saw another Academy graduate in need of a break and looked to his right and saw 22 year old Naby Sarr Bambi-on-icing his balls off and panicking.

It's completely unfair the amount of pressure our youth players are put under and it's something people should really bear in mind every time the investment in the Academy is brought up as a positive of the Duchatelet reign. Sure, more money is being pumped into the Academy, but at the expense of the positive development of our youngsters. Any player who is good enough to cope with the pressure and pace of the Championship aged 17 or 18 will be sold on to a club who can make a better fist of their development and any player who struggles with it will be forced to continue on in the role, wrecking their confidence, savaging their development and potentially stopping them from becoming the player they could be. Yeah, it's fucking brilliant this Academy development plan.

Really good post... My original question wasnt accusing Reece Oxford of taking a step back since his debut, I would have just have expected to see him play more often if he was as a class as the press had been saying he was (like when Rooney burst on to the scene)... You answered my question brilliantly though
    Yeah sorry, I initially was just replying to your post but then I sort of went into full rant mode.I don't blame you for our Academy plan. Unless you made the plan, in which case please read above.
    Nah I know it wasnt aimed directly at me... We all go into rant mode at the moment I think
  • Options

First off let me state I like Riga. However. If the reason Riga pulled the plug is because he didn't know who Oxford was it only highlights our recruitment problem even more. There is no one at the club with a good working knowledge of English football. Riga certainly won't know players like Oxford or for that matter Lee Tomlin. I suspect Oxford not signing will turn out to be an own goal scored by us yet again. We are a shambles.

Euell and Mark Stow will know about Oxford.

I think the issue here is whether Riga wants Oxford
    Their opinion is not highly regarded though is it. Phil Chapple left because every player he suggested or put forward was ignored and we brought in a foreign punt instead. I doubt Riga knows who Mark Stow is.

• Options
    I think I read somewhere that West Ham had insisted that Oxford played every game when on loan to us? If I was Riga and I had no knowledge who Oxford was, I too would have objected. Riga appears to be acting more like a manager than the usual "yes man" head coach and seems to be serious about keeping us in the Championship. This being the case, it is more than understandable that he will object to anyone interfering with his plan with foisting "unknowns" on him.

I also have a suspicion that there is a limited budget for Riga and he identifies another position that is more important to fill? Perhaps he is protecting the spend to get the balance right?

I hope that negotiations are still alive here as Oxford would appear to be a surprisingly good addition for us.
  • Options
    If Riga has blocked it then I'm happy with that. I don't know much about the player but he seems to be rated so we could be missing out on a gem. The bigger picture is that Riga will say no when he doesn't want to be done to and this shows how woefully inept the board are at recruitment.

The terms of the deal it could be such that it will not ultimately benefit us. At 17 it is a huge ask for a player, however good, to come in and essentially be seen as our saviour. Two poor games to start off with and it won't matter how good he is, his confidence will be pretty low.

• Options
    Watt and Vaz Te (apparently) are leaving, and unless we're getting in an attacker on I'm guessing 15-20k minimum a week I don't see why we shouldn't have enough to pay for a loan deal as well. It's naïve by Riga to turn him down when he clearly doesn't know enough to judge. There are still a couple of people in the club who know about the English league, and as much as I hate the current owners I'd be inclined to think Stow/ Euell would have had something to do with it. If Riga doesn't know anything about him, why not just ask one of them two? Or like our scouts have a quick Google and see what comes up... Shouldn't take him long to realise what we've missed out on. Last time he was here he had Davide Petrucci given to him along with Obika, I highly doubt he knew much about either so who called the shots there? Dyer? Matthews? So why not Euell now.

With the amount of emphasis there's been over the past week on Riga being his own man and not part of the network, it really wouldn't surprise me if its been done to make fans think he has more control than he really does. You can believe what you want but in my mind he's nothing but another puppet, went from us to liege and back? Unless he's on a stupid wage no self respecting man would do that.
  • Options
    Riga was out of work. Of course he would take a job.
  • Options
    If Riga didn't block it his credibility is affected, in the current climate Jose you can soon be as guilty by association to this regime playing along with their shit games
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At the same club that didn't renew his contract after saving us from relegation? It's clear as anything that he's another puppet, but because he did well last time people try to ignore it.
  • Options

At the same club that didn't renew his contract after saving us from relegation? It's clear as anything that he's another puppet, but because he did well last time people try to ignore it.
    Well if you say so.

• Options
    perhaps Roly thought it was Oxford university and saw an opportunity to run that in to the ground as well. When he realised it was actually a player he decided as he was English it was no go.
  • Options
    I have no doubt that Riga is the only manager in the championship and probably the whole league that doesnt know about Reece Oxford, for me its another example of poor appointment of managers,Riga might be able to put out and organise a team but his lack of knowledge throughout the english leagues is another negative when trying to get players in to help to try and keep us up.I would of loved to of seen Reece Oxford signed.
  • Options

Watt and Vaz Te (apparently) are leaving, and unless we're getting in an attacker on I'm guessing 15-20k minimum a week I don't see why we shouldn't have enough to pay for a loan deal as well. It's naïve by Riga to turn him down when he clearly doesn't know enough to judge. There are still a couple of people in the club who know about the English league, and as much as I hate the current owners I'd be inclined to think Stow/ Euell would have had something to do with it. If Riga doesn't know anything about him, why not just ask one of them two? Or like our scouts have a quick Google and see what comes up... Shouldn't take him long to realise what we've missed out on. Last time he was here he had Davide Petrucci given to him along with Obika, I highly doubt he knew much about either so who called the shots there? Dyer? Matthews? So why not Euell now.

With the amount of emphasis there's been over the past week on Riga being his own man and not part of the network, it really wouldn't surprise me if its been done to make fans think he has more control than he really does. You can believe what you want but in my mind he's nothing but another puppet, went from us to liege and back? Unless he's on a stupid wage no self respecting man would do that.

To be fair, nobody knows why Riga blocked it. I'm sure he had a good reason. If nothing else maybe he is just making a point to those upstairs. Riga needs to be involved in transfers, and this could be his way of telling them that.

I refuse to believe the conspiracy theory that the club are putting Riga's name on everything in a bid to win over fans. Riga already has respect from a lot of the fan base, and he will win over many more if he gets the right results.
  • Options

First off let me state I like Riga. However. If the reason Riga pulled the plug is because he didn't know who Oxford was it only highlights our recruitment problem even more. There is no one at the club with a good working knowledge of English football. Riga certainly won't know players like Oxford or for that matter Lee Tomlin. I suspect Oxford not signing will turn out to be an own goal scored by us yet again. We are a shambles.

Riga probably does not even know who Oxford United are?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Do you think Richard is giving our Katrien a portion? They do seem very friendly?
  • Options
    A portion of chips at half time mind but no Jumbo sausage cos that would push spending over the budget and we can't have that can we.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Reece Oxford 16th in the top 20 players under 20. Someone tell Jose Riga.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

How many times had Coquelin or Song played before they joined us? How many games had Gomez played this time last year?

JiMMy 85 said:

The point made prior is that Riga is potentially looking for very experienced championship players. Which Oxford isn't. Sure, we've had some good quality youngsters come in. But we've also had plenty of players who couldn't hack it. And a guy who has had four league appearances in his entire career isn't experienced, no matter what level he's at or what completely unrelated players you compare him to.
  • Options
    it's a bit worrying that a professional football manager (Riga) supposedly knew nothing about a young player (Oxford) who has had a fair amount of publicity this season .. perhaps Jose's finger has not been fully 'on the pulse' .. as for player recruitment, the 'modern trend' of directors, consultants, owners and chancers purchasing and borrowing players and expecting a coach/team manager to fit them into a coherent pattern is also very worrying, at least so far as CAFC is concerned
  • Options
    I agree Lincs........still no worries for a couple of weeks coz were still getting New manager bounce at the moment
  • Options
    On West Ham's bench tonight at Liverpool
  • Options
    We just don't know do we? And until the deal is finally off, which it may not be, nor should we.

After though the club should say that we were offered a great player but the conditions attached to the loan were too restrictive for our head coach to accept...or whatever the reason was.
  • Options
    Have you not listened to the Riga after match interview? He explains why.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Hmmmm, classic case of right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing! Not another cock up, KATRIEN what's the excuse on this one then?

• Options
    Would have taken Oxford but sent Poyet back if possible.