Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reece Oxford - loan ?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe it's a reaction to the Watt deal.
  • Options

Thought Riga would know about signings early doors and say yes or no. Turning a deal down at the 11th hour, if that's what happened, is weird.

It is only the fans that are weird.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

When it's on the OS.

People telling him to do one etc etc based on nothing.

It is incredible how rumours can run and get distorted. As yet we do not know whether the young lad will be joining us, how far did the talks get, did he turn us down, if so, why did it get this far, if not, why condemn, what looks like a brilliant star in the making. If he does eventually get a chance to join us, will he, if he reads half of the comments on here? Another rumour is that Riga does not want him. but earlier when it was said Riga has the say on future transfers, everyone thought this was good. If Riga has said no, perhaps he is after players in other positions. Why do we not wait and see and then support whoever the player is, he must be better than Williams. Rumours are fun (normally) but they are just that, rumours, until something happens
    We can only work on rumours as we only get told a load of rubbish by squirrel face and Murray.
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

Got the following text off of a pal earlier who doesnt normally send stuff but is right 90% of the time when he does;
    "Riga pulled plug on oxford, was all but done... Player not happy and nor are the hierarchy at the club... Not sure if he's flexing his muscle to get his man in last min or what but he's pissed off quite a few people"

What a bizarre and shambolic situation... it sounds like a power struggle is going on between Riga and the club over who chooses the players
    I wonder if this could go the way it did for Riga at Blackpool.

He ended up having a stand off with Oyston over player recruitment.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Got the following text off of a pal earlier who doesnt normally send stuff but is right 90% of the time when he does;
    "Riga pulled plug on oxford, was all but done... Player not happy and nor are the hierarchy at the club... Not sure if he's flexing his muscle to get his man in last min or what but he's pissed off quite a few people"

Good,

Shame they can't all piss each other off on their own time, a good old distance away from this once proud club.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2016
    It is a bit worrying that the player deal appeared to be quite advanced without the club checking whether this was the kind of player that Riga wanted for the team.

Not sure where Reece Oxford plays but I think it is as a defender. Reece Oxford may be decent but in defence, I would prefer Harry Lennon to get games, develop and build a partnership with Texiera. Maybe he is OK as a defensive midfielder but we have Poyet, who can't have turned completely crap in the time (?) that he has left us as he was quite decent before.

Maybe there was lots of conditions about game time that the club didn't check with Riga ?

Maybe WHU should have taken Poyet back if Reece Oxford plays in a similar position and they wanted him to have game time ?

More bothered by the fact that there is no right midfield, creative / attacking midfield, or striker and that Watt is apparently going on loan without replacement.

All in all, another shambolic transfer window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like a power struggle taking place. Odds on Riga will not be at the club come the end of the season - he will claim constructive dismissal similar to Curbs at West Ham on the basis that decisions on players were being made without his consent. Whereas Curbs was awarded a significant compensation, Riga will be lucky to get ten bob.
  • Options
    I give up. How the you know what are we going to score goals?
  • Options
    I admire Riga for standing up to them but he's got this one wrong. I also find it hard to believe that he doesn't know who Oxford is.
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

What a bizarre and shambolic situation... it sounds like a power struggle is going on between Riga and the club over who chooses the players
    If this isn't leaked then it's bloody beautiful; combined with the rumours of Riga turning us down and the Serb being appointed... only for them to realise how horrific it was, you would expect he had a fair amount of bargaining power before he accepted the role.

One could even suggest he was playing Roland at his own game..
  • Options

I admire Riga for standing up to them but he's got this one wrong. I also find it hard to believe that he doesn't know who Oxford is.

IMO he has people who he wants to sign and has told the club he won't play Oxford if they sign him, knowing that if they don't sign anyone else the backlash on them would be massive.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

IMO he has people who he wants to sign and has told the club he won't play Oxford if they sign him, knowing that if they don't sign anyone else the backlash on them would be massive.
    Let's hope it pays off. It'll be more loans after the window and the usual excuses.
  • Options
    Don't need or want Reece Oxford. Some 12 year old with 'potential' who has only ever played two competitive games in his career is not what we need.
  • Options
    Oxford is a centre back but has played mostly in midfield for the first team.
  • Options
    Lurker said:

Either way, he'd walk into our team. Since when was age a problem for Charlton? Bowyer, Parker, Konchesky, Shelvey, Gomez, Poyet, Cousins...all first team regulars as teenagers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lurker said:

Either way, he'd walk into our team. Since when was age a problem for Charlton? Bowyer, Parker, Konchesky, Shelvey, Gomez, Poyet, Cousins...all first team regulars as teenagers.
    But how many of them walked into a team with so few leaders and in such disarray?
  • Options
    Lurker said:

West Ham have plenty of strength at CB, and young CBs are often blooded elsewhere in the team as it's a position where experience is really important (seeing Sarr and Lennon together rather proves the point)
  • Options

Lurker said:

But how many of them walked into a team with so few leaders and in such disarray?
    I'll take Oxford over the likes of Ba. You don't have to be an older pro to be a leader.
  • Options
    I am sure Riga will resign if he does not get the players he wants. We do not need another defensive mid fielder or a centre half. We need to back Riga's judgement and support him.
  • Options
    If Riga only has one or two more chances to bring in loan players its right that he demands the players that he feels will make a difference .
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Get a grip people, this is one of the many downsides to the "digital age'.
    All just just normal goings on but "real-time" reportage is unnecessary and unhelpful and frankly rather pointless.
    :-)
  • Options

Lurker said:

I'll take Oxford over the likes of Ba. You don't have to be an older pro to be a leader.
    I'm not disagreeing that he'd be better than Ba, rather that even for really talented Charlton players being brought into the team as callow youths, needed older and hopefully wiser heads around them providing leadership. We don't really see that on the pitch, and in the boardroom, at Charlton these days.
  • Options
    The game he played against Arsenal he was decent but his performance was hyped due to it being his debut and his age. I don't think he's what we need right now.
  • Options
    I don't understand why West Ham would want to send him here anyway, they've already got one player with us (who was left out last Saturday). Surely they'd prefer to send him to a more stable club, with a strong core of experienced pros from which he can learn, e.g. Ipswich or Birmingham
  • Options

Can't we go back to West Ham and ask for Payet instead?

That is who Roland thought we were originally getting on loan from West Ham. Inability to spell just one of his many faults.