Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official 2016 Grand National Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2016
    It's the way I tell 'em. :smiley:
  • Options
    Several GN entries running in the Betfair Chase at Ascot tomorrow.
  • Options
    Just added The Druids Nephew 25/1 to my ante post bets
    Already on Many Clouds 18/1 (price taken last year) and Gallant Oscar 50/1
    Really not sure about Hollywell? Keep thinking yes then no?!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    meldrew66 said:

Peanuts: do I assume that my early bet on Mountainous is lost then as I cannot see his name on the provisional list of runners?

Wouldn't worry too much about his PU in the Haydock GN Trial yesterday (at least from a form perspective) meldrew.
    The worst aspect of it for Mountainous is that it doesn't help his chances of making the cut (with 6 others allotted 10.01) but, with the single exception of Neptune Collonges in 2012 (close 2nd in the GNT), Haydock's GN Trial (typically run on ground that could hardly be more different to Aintree's) has an abysmal correlation to GN success. Indeed, Earth Summit (1998) and Mon Mome (2009) both ran stinkers in the GNT prior to GN victory - ironically both soft ground GNs.

Conversely, folks, don't get overly excited about Bishops Road simply because he romped home.

This is the record in the succeeding GN of previous GNT winners since the turn of the millenium:

2000 The Last Fling – 7th (28L)
    2003 Shotgun Willy – PU
    2004 Jurancon II – F
    2005 Forest Gunner – 5th (27L)
    2009 Rambling Minster – PU
    2011 Silver By Nature – 12th (93L)
    2012 Giles Cross – PU

In fact, the last 15 GNT winners have the following record in their next (same season) run: PUPF52F2P00PPP0
  • Options
    LOL
    Cheers smiffy. You're too kind.
    Actually, I've just got a spreadsheet the size of a buick.
  • Options
    Its seems such a silly reply to your amazing view above Peanuts and also a reply that doesnt do your views justice but you are spot on and i totally agree and couldnt add to it.
  • Options

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it Len ;-)

Ha ha. Know your limits. Dont argue with Peanuts in regards to anything to do with the GN.

• Options
    Nice win for Saint Are today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of Peanuts's 'fancies' is running today in a four mile plus handicap chase at Newcastle .. Woodford County @ 20/1
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Good memory Lincs.
    He was my strongest tip for the WN but he's got 9-04 for the GN.
    He could f%%kin' lap 'em this afternoon before winning it but he still won't make the cut :smiley:
    Though, at first blush I do like Shotgun Paddy with only 10-03 for the Big One, who carries topweight in the Eider today. His jumping let him down in last year's Eider but he looks in better form this season.
    Haven't run my stripped back GN model yet (and probably won't until after the Festival) but Paddy's owners seem definite that they want to see it soft at Aintree to let him take his chance.
  • Options
    Shotgun Paddy has a terrific jockey today which indicates that 'connections' really fancy him .. but the race looks to be a minefield for punters .. I have had £1 e/w on Woodford C and the same on Wyck Hill, the latter only because my cousins used to live at the very top of that Cotswold landmark ((:>)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    8/1 looks a bit short for me for Paddy given how open a race it is today but he could certainly do the biz.
    Russe Blanc would have been a long shot on my WN ticket but missed the cut by one and then won the Betfred Classic (aka Warwick national) really well. Big hike in OR today but may be up to the task but there's not many you can rule out. Should be a cracker.
    If it is proper soft, I wouldn't rule out 13 y-o Glenquest (close 3rd in the 2014 WN) nicking a place at 40/1 - hasn't been asked to race beyond 3m over fences since then. I am a bit of a sucker for long shots but might have a nibble seeing as how it's 4 places (1st time tongue tie I now see - I'm on!)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Wrong thread.
  • Options

Wrong........

....horse Gary? :wink:
  • Options

Houblon Des Obeaux ... will he get the trip whilst carrying all that weight ? .. done him e/w NRNB at 40/1

Sad to say HdO's been scratched Lincs. He had winner's quality stats aswell.

Also scratched:
    Wounded Warrior
    Thunder And Roses
    Open Hearted
    Plus 9 others that were never likely to make the cut, including:
    Ziga Boy
    Night In Milan
    Seabass
    Paint The Clouds

In last 6 years, average lowest on the card at this stage to make the cut for the Big Day was #65 (#69 lowest).
    #65 today is the last of those on 10-02.
    Those missing out would include: Double Seven (3rd 2 years ago), Royale Knight (6th last year), Benbens (1L 3rd in the 2015 Scottish National) Mountainous (double Welsh National winner) and Emperor's Choice (2014 WN winner).
    Nevermind, there's a quality bunch of highly-rated 3 milers likely to run in their place :smirk:

• Options
    Peanuts: what's the latest view regarding whether or not Mountainous is likely to start the GN?
  • Options
    Bears Affair catches my eye at a tasty price
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Peanuts: what's the latest view regarding whether or not Mountainous is likely to start the GN?

Look at Peanuts post just before yours.
    At the moment unlikely to get in .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2016

Houblon Des Obeaux ... will he get the trip whilst carrying all that weight ? .. done him e/w NRNB at 40/1

Sad to say HdO's been scratched Lincs. He had winner's quality stats aswell.

Also scratched:
    Wounded Warrior
    Thunder And Roses
    Open Hearted
    Plus 9 others that were never likely to make the cut, including:
    Ziga Boy
    Night In Milan
    Seabass
    Paint The Clouds

In last 6 years, average lowest on the card at this stage to make the cut for the Big Day was #65 (#69 lowest).
    #65 today is the last of those on 10-02.
    Those missing out would include: Double Seven (3rd 2 years ago), Royale Knight (6th last year), Benbens (1L 3rd in the 2015 Scottish National) Mountainous (double Welsh National winner) and Emperor's Choice (2014 WN winner).
    Nevermind, there's a quality bunch of highly-rated 3 milers likely to run in their place :smirk:

damn! .. had him in e/w double with Many Clouds, the latter for the Cheltenham G C .. bang goes the riverside flat in Chelsea ((:<) ((:>) .. thanks for the info Peanuts, I haven't read much news for a couple of days.
  • Options
    Buywise going for a handicap at aintree not the national according to trainer after recent run.
  • Options
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run SHOTGUN PADDY at Aintree and not Uttoxeter Emma.
  • Options
    Clouds so impressive
  • Options
    Last race tomorrow is the Kim Muir chase - won by Ballabriggs with 11.12 the season before he won the 2011 GN and by Sunnyhillboy with 11.11 the month before he should have won the 2012 GN.
    Two runners tomorrow are flashing brightly on my 2016 GN radar screen - MIDNIGHT PRAYER (40/1 for the GN, 25/1 tomorrow) already has winning GN stats and just has to avoid disaster to confirm them. Drying ground will suit but, unfortunately, allotted 10.01, he is at risk of being one of those proven stayers denied a run at Aintree because of the "high quality" of the entries. Great.
    PERFECT CANDIDATE (66/1 GN, 20/1 tomorrow) - progressive and a good record at Cheltenham but would prefer some more juice in the ground. Safe passage would confirm him as having Strong Place potential with 10.02 for the GN; a win or near miss would put his stats into Winner's territory.

• Options
    Bet365 (paying 5 places) are now NRNB.
  • Options

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run SHOTGUN PADDY at Aintree and not Uttoxeter Emma.

She ignored your advice Peanuts .
  • Options

She ignored your advice Peanuts .
    I could be wrong but I haven't seen her say yet he definitely won't go to Aintree.
    Still 3 weeks to go. Mon Mome won the GN after running (badly) in the Midlands National 3 weeks earlier in 2009. Rough Quest won it in 1996 just 16 days after being 4L 2nd in the Gold Cup. Papillon (2000) and Montys Pass (2003) won it 20 days after their last preps. In fact, more than 50% of winners since 1988 have won it less than 4 weeks after their final prep.
    But, as she's been looking for softer going, presumably it's looking doubtful. All I can say is that it was only 2 years ago that he was close 2nd in the 4m novice chase at the Festival on quickish ground. People said Monbeg Dude wouldn't handle the drying ground last year but was only 8L 3rd behind Many Clouds and was unlucky in running.
    With the modified fences, regardless of the ground, I can't see Shotgun Paddy getting a better chance than now with a featherweight 10-03. But hey-ho.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Have to confess I've backed him e/w this afternoon, despite some less exposed sorts in oppo, as it would piss me off no end if he won and she didn't take him to Aintree.
    Taken the NRNB from Bet365 for the GN at 50s as well. Probably all for nought.
  • Options

Bet365 (paying 5 places) are now NRNB.

Quality bookmakers - the best of course ;-)

(although bet365 is lower case 'b' - we are very touchy about that!!)