Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official 2016 Grand National Thread

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Anyone know the going forecast for Saturday ?

It's Good to Soft today and showers are expected tomorrow and Saturday - so unlikely to change from Good to Soft but possibly Good to Soft - Soft in places.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

It's Good to Soft today and showers are expected tomorrow and Saturday - so unlikely to change from Good to Soft but possibly Good to Soft - Soft in places.
    Unlike a lot of places Aintree will get the going correct.

Some courses, when reporting the going state at the start of the meeting that the going is good to firm but, after the first it will be good to firm/good in places. By the time the meeting is over the going will be stated as having been heavy - when it was actually heavy from the outset.

Perhaps that is a "slight2 exaggeration but too many times the going is reported incorrectly because the course stewards don't like to change the reported going too much after the meeting has started (unless obviously it buckets it down) as it makes them look rather silly. That is why there can be a variance in going descriptions between the official going and that reported by Timeform.
  • Options
    Going has been changed to soft (GS in places) according to sporting life
  • Options
    edited April 2016

bobmunro said:

Unlike a lot of places Aintree will get the going correct.

Some courses, when reporting the going state at the start of the meeting that the going is good to firm but, after the first it will be good to firm/good in places. By the time the meeting is over the going will be stated as having been heavy - when it was actually heavy from the outset.

Perhaps that is a "slight2 exaggeration but too many times the going is reported incorrectly because the course stewards don't like to change the reported going too much after the meeting has started (unless obviously it buckets it down) as it makes them look rather silly. That is why there can be a variance in going descriptions between the official going and that reported by Timeform.
    Agree with you AA but it's a pretty low bar for Aintree to get over and you only have to compare the times set in the last 3 GNs, all run on Officially GS(Gd places):

2013: 8 secs slower than std
    2014: 5.9 secs slower than std
    2015: 7.2 secs FASTER than std

The time difference between 2013 and 2015 GNs, run on on identical going according to Aintree, is equivalent to Many Clouds finishing approx 76 lengths ahead of 2013 winner Auroras Encore, who would have been 14th last year!

Based on the times, the Racing Post reckoned the ground in 2013 was indeed GS (I agree), in 2014 was Good (I agree) and in 2015 was Good (I think quicker but no one would ever dare admit these days that there were even any GF places on the GN course).

I suspect it is proper GS at best now but the Foxhunters, with all carrying 12st every year, should be a good guide this afternoon.

Approx:
    5m30s = Good
    5m40s = GS
    5m55s = Sft

• Options

len90 said:

Still early doors and not sure what kind of model I'll be using this year, if any, but at this stage I'm rather taken with Shotgun Paddy at 50/1 (120 Betfair)

With only 10-03 he is unlikely to get a run

He (all those with 10.03 in fact) will be unlucky not to get a run actually len90.

He is currently number 63 on the card and the entries allotted 10.03 are #60~63 on the card (priority among them will be determined by the actual OR at declarations).

For the last 6 GNs, the lowest on the card at framing of the weights to get a run on the big day were:

2015: 69
    2014: 79
    2013: 72
    2012: 72
    2011: 69
    2010: 78

If i was the sort of person to say i told you so i would now be saying i told you so.
  • Options
    I made annie powers winning time slower than Zarkander in 2013. suggest very slow soft ground
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    len90 said:

len90 said:

Still early doors and not sure what kind of model I'll be using this year, if any, but at this stage I'm rather taken with Shotgun Paddy at 50/1 (120 Betfair)

With only 10-03 he is unlikely to get a run

He (all those with 10.03 in fact) will be unlucky not to get a run actually len90.

He is currently number 63 on the card and the entries allotted 10.03 are #60~63 on the card (priority among them will be determined by the actual OR at declarations).

For the last 6 GNs, the lowest on the card at framing of the weights to get a run on the big day were:

2015: 69
    2014: 79
    2013: 72
    2012: 72
    2011: 69
    2010: 78

If i was the sort of person to say i told you so i would now be saying i told you so.
    Indeed len, I tip my hat to you sir.
    Lies, damned lies and statistics :smiley:
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I make that 5m48s
    If so, suggests Soft(GS), in line with Official.

EDIT Confirmed 5m48s
  • Options
    Yes that run faster than the main track
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amazing stuff again Peanuts, love reading your analysis, I really can't wait for the race to start. Good luck one and all.
  • Options
    Brilliant Peanuts
  • Options
    Cheers CHG and Charltonparklane, though the proof of the pudding....etc
    Obviously a couple of solid chances but, hopefully, a couple with some buzz potential.
  • Options
    regardless, my Fav thread every year because of your contribution.
  • Options
    Too kind Chief. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Peanuts, you are a beacon lighting up one of our greatest sporting heritages - thank you.
  • Options

Thank you Peanuts excellent summary as always.
    He is owned by Gigginstown so it will be interesting to see if Cooper rides him .

Looks as if Cooper will ride Rule The World so I don't know who will ride SDC . Had a bit of 60's a few weeks ago so may lay some off depending on the going .
  • Options

Thank you Peanuts excellent summary as always.
    He is owned by Gigginstown so it will be interesting to see if Cooper rides him .

Looks as if Cooper will ride Rule The World so I don't know who will ride SDC . Had a bit of 60's a few weeks ago so may lay some off depending on the going .
    Cooper rides First Lieutenant and Walsh is on SDC.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Peanuts, you are a beacon lighting up one of our greatest sporting heritages - thank you.

I'm deeply flattered bob. Cheers mate. Glad you enjoy my ramblings.
  • Options
    At a bit of a loose end tonight and, while nodding along to Mrs Molloy telling me about her day, did a quick and dirty stat crunch on the Topham tomorrow.
    My pound will be riding on ASTRACAD 40/1 e/w 5 places bet365..
    ......caution: low conviction
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers Peanuts.

I wonder how many non lifers get guided to this thread each year.

Believe len90 saw it mentioned on millwall forum few years ago and joined in.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Cheers Peanuts.

I wonder how many non lifers get guided to this thread each year.

Believe len90 saw it mentioned on millwall forum few years ago and joined in.

Cheers Chief. The more the merrier.
  • Options
    len90 said:

Red Rum was a great horse and a Grand National legend. No horse has won the race more than once since him.

And how many know that he came second in the two interim renewals between his second and third victories? Not just a great horse but the greatest Grand National horse.

• Options
    Such a shame that we have to wait until 5.15pm for the race. ITV have it next year, probably be at 8.30pm during Ant&Dec's Take-away!
  • Options
    Not really, thinks it's good those of us who actually go matches now get to see it.
  • Options
    Thanks peanuts great thread as ever.

I keep getting drawn towards morning assembly, so will be backing him aswell.
  • Options
    Thanks as always Peanuts. Fingers crossed :)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Cheers smiffy and red murph Good luck.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Going and weather forecast:

GN course: Soft(GS places)
    Mildmay: GS(Soft places)

Should be dry today but rain (5mm) forecast for tonight which could impact going tomorrow.
    Tomorrow morning is due to be dry and bright but showers are possible later.

Looks like should remain more or less as now. Will time the Topham at 4.05 to see if it's dried out prior to the rain arriving.
  • Options
    Robert Waley-Cohen and his mates have shelled out £90,000 to buy Black Thunder - just 48 hours before the event. Mind you son and jockey, Sam, could probably have bought the horse with the loose change in his pocket given that he owns 15 dental practices!

Feel sorry for Gavin Sheehan who now has no ride in the race.