Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's happening behind the scenes? Karl uncertainty. ED p6/7 all about Swisdom's golf handicap

Comments

• Options
    LouisMend said:

cafctom said:

To counter balance this he has also been talking about his plans for the coaching team next year (Jackson, Bowyer) and how he wants things set up. So I don't think we should be taking these other comments in isolation, we'll just have to wait and see.

I accept the counterbalance here which makes it all the more interesting.

After I did my interview with Karl (below), the final answer plus something that happened after left me scratching my head.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5870338-post-match-cafc-karl-robinson-pays-tribute-to-johnnie-jackson

But as per the counterbalance that he was saying things about next season I left it until i spoke to Terry 20 mins before last night's show. He also said he seemed a bit off in the Charlton Live interview and so when I heard it for the first time during the show I listened very carefully - a lot of "hopefullys" etc about his future.

Worth a listen - half an hour into the show here - http://www.charltonlive.co.uk/2017/04/30/charlton-live-season-finale/

As has been said there was a lot of talk about next year but a lot of uncertainty in it.
    Louis......isn't there 'always' a lot of talk about next year!
  • Options
    Next season it will always be better in the apologists world , luckily for them tomorrow never comes
  • Options

Next season it will always be better in the apologists world , luckily for them tomorrow never comes

Why is Louis an apologist?
  • Options
    Didn't Karl suggest a few weeks ago he would be allowed to do a Powel in the summe,r doing lots of recruiting players. Also was it not quoted that Daisy said Karl will be bringing in 12 players.

Maybe what wasn't previously known to Tarby is that 3 of his current best players would be sold and the money ain't coming his way.
  • Options
    I wonder about this too. Has he been told Holmes and Konsa are off and the money is going into the Staprix slush fund? Karl stumbles into the real world of Katrien's Charlton.
  • Options
    If the club sell Holmes then he will lose any credibility he had.
    What could he possibly say if our best player is sold ?
  • Options

If the club sell Holmes then any remote chance of me renewing goes completely
  • Options
    Karl playing the leverage game.

A game Katrien never wins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not only has he been told he's losing Konsa and Holmes but if he wants to get rid of Igor, Tex, Watt etc then that is coming out of his playing budget too leaving him £3.50 to spread over the ten players he wants.
  • Options

It's not like Roland has done this before.
  • Options

Not only has he been told he's losing Konsa and Holmes but if he wants to get rid of Igor, Tex, Watt etc then that is coming out of his playing budget too leaving him £3.50 to spread over the ten players he wants.

Moving on Igor, Watt, Tex, Sarr and Celebos (I hope Kashi is fit and stays but he might be moved on too) would free up a lot of wages but only after they have either been sold or their contracts paid off.

The players have little incentive to tear up their £8k or £12k per week contracts and earn a fraction of that at new clubs so it's a bit of a stand off. Charlton will try to force them out ala Ba by keeping them in England and not playing while the players will try and hold out for a pay -off before taking a deal with another club.

It's a shame as some of them as good players (Igor, Tex, Watt sometimes, Kashi) and haven't done anything wrong. Even Sarr and Cebellos are only guilty of not been good enough or suited to Championship football.

Best solution is that their agents find them new clubs and good deals so they move on quickly and the club free up their wages. We might even get a fee. Certainly the rumours where that Bauer and Tex had clubs lined up hence Robinson's rant about uncommitted players.

Every club has players under contract it wants to move on. The only difference is we have so many and have had them, and others, for so long.

• Options
    I can't see any body improving the contracts of the players we would unload, so then they stay put , or wait to be paid off, either way it's groundhog day and I sit wishing I'd never heard of RD and co.
  • Options

Given that Katrien evidently kept referring to Karl Robinson as Russell in the QandA (see other post) has she been in contact and are we then expecting to see Russell Slade return to The Valley for a second stint (ala Jose Riga?).

I must admit although I did glaze over at times during the meeting I don't recall her referencing Karl as Russell.
  • Options
    "Rosler first choice. Caldwell and Jones main options. Still interviewing."

Sun Journo on Wigan manager's job race.

Maybe KR has interviewed but seems behind others, two of whom are ex-managers.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

When talking about signings pre match he referenced loans (plural) which made me think that reasonable players will go, and the likes of Williams and Vaz Te will arrive.

Vaz Te is actually top scorer for a club in the Turkish super league so shouldn't be too bad for a shit league one side!
  • Options

Didn't Karl suggest a few weeks ago he would be allowed to do a Powel in the summe,r doing lots of recruiting players. Also was it not quoted that Daisy said Karl will be bringing in 12 players.

And then RD remembered that players cost money.
  • Options
    I agree with others though, i don't think it's to do with new owners or uncertainty over his own future, i think it's much more likely that he's been told Holmes and Konsa are being sold and the (lack of) budget means he'll have to look for replacements from the Conference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that Karl took a crafty dive for a tray of vol-u-vants knocking Sue Perks over and thus enraging the regime...
  • Options

Discarded players ....

Current joint second-highest scorer in Dutch top division - 18 goals - Reza
    Current second-highest scorer in Dutch second tier - 25 goals - Polish Pete

Obviously not all the rejects have been successful but still some quality missed, not really a surprise, since neither the players nor the coaches were around for long enough even just to get to know each other, never mind form a real squad or, God forbid, actually instil some new knowledge or skills. Hopeless from the start.
  • Options
    If he ever really believed he was going to get a war chest and 12 players of quality in he was more naive than I gave him credit for.

We'll have to abide by the SCMP which if memory serves me right is 60% of turnover for players wages.

Turnover is;

Match-day Income
    Commercial Income (such as sponsorship)
    TV revenue
    Profit on player sales
    Plus money put into the club by the owner, but NOT loans.

A pure guess here but lower attendances/season tickets etc etc £7.5m max turnover? If that. Not much to sell....

So £4.5m on wages. Lets assume Watt stays, he's on about £12k a week? as is Tex? That'd be £1.25m or over a quarter of the budget. Whats Nabby and Igor on? £4k a week? Ceballos, £2k a week? Thats another half million, so potentially between 5 players that are unlikely to feature next year, unless we shift them on thats potentially £1.75m of the £4.5m used or roughly 40%. Kashi might even get us towards 50%.,

The finances are probably dawning on Robinson, he's going to be given very little to spend as I haven't seen yet Roland allow more to be spent that sold so until a number of players are moved on he's going to have next to no additional wage budget.........

I think for all his 'I know what needs to happen' he has finally realised he won't be allowed to do it, queue the first manager to tell them where to go......
  • Options
    After getting 13 points out of the possible 15 I must admit I thought Tarbuck would be up beat and positive , Maybe he knows that there will be little cash for the next season or maybe he wont be at the valley next season?
  • Options
    I would normally have a lot of respect for Robinson if he's walking because the rugs being pulled.

However, can't say we didn't warn him.
  • Options

I could entirely believe that Robinson has been made promises by KM in good faith, only to now find out that Roland has moved the goal posts on both him and KM on a whim. Doubtless they are already trying to force some Driesen recommendations on him and he's probably getting no more than half the budget he thought he would, plus deals to sell the few players he actually wanted to keep are already being lined up.

I can envisage another summer like the last where initially it looked like an British manager might be able to oversee and manager player recruitment in the way it is traditionally done in England, only for it to become clear that every deal done was either not wanted by the manager or cam after a massive internal struggle. If Karl sticks around he'll get one or two he actually wants, 3 or 4 he doesn't really want and will be short 5 or 6 more that he needs.

I don't think Driesen type recommendation are the issue - we haven't been down that path since the summer of 2015 really, when you look who has come in subsequently. Even RD has I'm sure accepted that Driesen's recruitment failed at Charlton, especially when he looks at the wages we're still paying for the flops, and the write off for the likes of Ba.

The issue, if there is an issue, will be about the size of the transfer budget, which isn't helped by the expensive deadwood left behind from 2 summers ago.
    Well I don't know who directly identified them (maybe Head), but it was reported that some of last summer's signings were not really wanted by Slade (Ajose for example) and others (was it Foley) were wanted by Slade be but he had to fight for them because Driesen didn't fancy him. So you're right, we didn't sign anyone from the Armenian 3rd division, but that does not mean that Driesen was not still influencing things.
  • Options

I could entirely believe that Robinson has been made promises by KM in good faith, only to now find out that Roland has moved the goal posts on both him and KM on a whim. Doubtless they are already trying to force some Driesen recommendations on him and he's probably getting no more than half the budget he thought he would, plus deals to sell the few players he actually wanted to keep are already being lined up.

I can envisage another summer like the last where initially it looked like an British manager might be able to oversee and manager player recruitment in the way it is traditionally done in England, only for it to become clear that every deal done was either not wanted by the manager or cam after a massive internal struggle. If Karl sticks around he'll get one or two he actually wants, 3 or 4 he doesn't really want and will be short 5 or 6 more that he needs.

I don't think Driesen type recommendation are the issue - we haven't been down that path since the summer of 2015 really, when you look who has come in subsequently. Even RD has I'm sure accepted that Driesen's recruitment failed at Charlton, especially when he looks at the wages we're still paying for the flops, and the write off for the likes of Ba.

The issue, if there is an issue, will be about the size of the transfer budget, which isn't helped by the expensive deadwood left behind from 2 summers ago.
    Wasn't there some bloke who played in the Kent Cup this season?
    Seemed like a Driesen suggestion?