Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's happening behind the scenes? Karl uncertainty. ED p6/7 all about Swisdom's golf handicap

Comments

• Options
    Cooked a mean full English too.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I was at a golf day with KR yesterday. Didn't speak to him but he was sat down talking to Steve Gallen (pretty sure it was him) and he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. They were however discussing players and agents but I couldn't hear specifics.

Wouldn't have thought he would be doing that if he was leaving

Poor sleuthing @Swisdom , should have recorded the whole conversation on your phone ; - )

Maybe he's not leaving but also maybe not too happy with the cards he's been dealt hence the interviews and the weight of world on his shoulders.

How was the rest of the golf day?
    Blinding - I won! Played alongside Charlie Wright - what a proper fantastic guy he is. Born in 1938 and as fit as a flea
    You mean, Sir Charlie Wright?

Always a big character, comedian and entertainer when he was our keeper.
    One of my childhood heroes.
    Charlie Wright was a vital part of the spine of our team when I began watching, in the 1960s; was also a jovial character, would josh with the crowd when the ball was up the other end. Years later, I popped in to the workmen's café he owned just off Trafalgar Road in East Greenwich: he was happy to chat about his playing days, and refused payment for my cuppa. Charlie went on to establish a successful sports bar in Hoxton.

• Options
    Charlie Wright used to pull his knees up when he jumped I remember this stopped him getting cluttered as keepers could be then. Also remember an article about him maybe in Shoot which informed us he had been Hong Kong footballer of the year. Happy days long ago.
  • Options
    Charlie and Dickie Plumb both did some part time PE teacher work at my school, Eltham Green, in the close season. Charlie would just stand and have a fag leaning on the goalpost. Decent blokes both.
  • Options
    When will it end...
  • Options

This thread suddenly went from rumours of Robinson leaving, to discussing the state of @Swisdom's golf game & players of yesteryear!

Welcome to Charlton Life!

lol

Makes a change from trying to discuss to the nth degree that .... erm, nothing is happening.
    Right, where were we?

Sir Charlie Wright, Sir Charlie Wright, Charlie!

• Options
    @Swisdom I take it your a low handicap player seeing as you guest with the big names.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@Swisdom I take it your a low handicap player seeing as you guest with the big names.

Nope. Playing off 24 (cut to 23 this week) but just get involved with Keith Peacock's golf day each year as it's a great day and cause.

2 weeks ago was playing with the CACT against Tony Watt (26) and Dillon Phillips (14) which was nice.

If you play and are interested I can get you some further info about one at the end of May with the former players golf day - Nelson, Walsh, Ilic, Andy Jones, Killer, Chapple, Basey, Mike Bailey, Charlie Wright will be there again - a real mix but a lovely day
  • Options
    I don't have an official handicap, but likely 28, 24 on a good day perhaps. By all means send me info, not always sure of availability but sounds like a decent day.
  • Options
    @swisdom Worth starting a new thread on the golf day for those interested.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I was at a golf day with KR yesterday. Didn't speak to him but he was sat down talking to Steve Gallen (pretty sure it was him) and he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. They were however discussing players and agents but I couldn't hear specifics.

Wouldn't have thought he would be doing that if he was leaving

Poor sleuthing @Swisdom , should have recorded the whole conversation on your phone ; - )

Maybe he's not leaving but also maybe not too happy with the cards he's been dealt hence the interviews and the weight of world on his shoulders.

How was the rest of the golf day?
    Blinding - I won! Played alongside Charlie Wright - what a proper fantastic guy he is. Born in 1938 and as fit as a flea
    You mean, Sir Charlie Wright?

Always a big character, comedian and entertainer when he was our keeper.
    One of my childhood heroes.
    Mine too.

• Options

Haha, the edited thread title made me laugh :smile:

This is one of the reasons I love this site
  • Options

Thought Dillon Phillips was older than that

He's quite tall for 14 though.
  • Options
    Think I still have a copy of Charles Buchan's Football Annual (circa 1969?) featuring Charlie on the front and an interview where he tells of the time he played for Hong Kong.
  • Options
    Jimmy Seed first signed for Sunderland (1913) where he was Charlie Buchan's understudy. He was just 18, but Buchan himself was only 22 or 23.

This has very little to do with Charlie Wright however.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JamesSeed said:

Jimmy Seed first signed for Sunderland (1913) where he was Charlie Buchan's understudy. He was just 18, but Buchan himself was only 22 or 23.

Are they their ages or golf handicaps ?
    My waist, IQ, golf handicap and age are all the same.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Are they their ages or golf handicaps ?
    My waist, IQ, golf handicap and age are all the same.
    Very thick or very fat?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Charlie Buchan was born in Plumstead
  • Options
    I went for a snack in Charlie's cafe once, and he is the only footballer I have encountered that can swear more than Roger Johnson.
  • Options
    Getting things back on track!

How about this scenario :
    Robinson has been told he has a smaller budget that originally thought (possibly due to wanting to pay players off ) ... could that budget get even smaller by keeping hold of Holmes ? https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/23811/charlton-star-targets-new-contract-hes-one-man-karl-robinson-wont-want-lose/

Is it , keep Holmes and have an even smaller budget to bring players in
    OR allow your best player to go knowing your budget is safe and hopefully will increase?