Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's happening behind the scenes? Karl uncertainty. ED p6/7 all about Swisdom's golf handicap

Comments

• Options
    Out turnover is what, £10M. Our fixed costs, similar. All players costs = wages/transfer fees are effectively funded by losses. KM has been clear we will not repeat the £13.5M loss of last year. Hence if the likes of Watt, Sarr, Ceb, Kashi, Tex are picking up c£2.5M that means the rest of the squad plus all transfer fees in will need to total less than £10M. Anyone believing we have £4M to splash is living in dream land.
  • Options

I could entirely believe that Robinson has been made promises by KM in good faith, only to now find out that Roland has moved the goal posts on both him and KM on a whim. Doubtless they are already trying to force some Driesen recommendations on him and he's probably getting no more than half the budget he thought he would, plus deals to sell the few players he actually wanted to keep are already being lined up.

I can envisage another summer like the last where initially it looked like an British manager might be able to oversee and manager player recruitment in the way it is traditionally done in England, only for it to become clear that every deal done was either not wanted by the manager or cam after a massive internal struggle. If Karl sticks around he'll get one or two he actually wants, 3 or 4 he doesn't really want and will be short 5 or 6 more that he needs.

I don't think Driesen type recommendation are the issue - we haven't been down that path since the summer of 2015 really, when you look who has come in subsequently. Even RD has I'm sure accepted that Driesen's recruitment failed at Charlton, especially when he looks at the wages we're still paying for the flops, and the write off for the likes of Ba.

The issue, if there is an issue, will be about the size of the transfer budget, which isn't helped by the expensive deadwood left behind from 2 summers ago.
    I think it runs deeper than just the recruitment. The whole setup has been so unstable and ramshackle. At some points we had no team doctor - at others there was no physio or fitness coach. Analysts left, assistant managers arrived - media people appeared then disappeared weeks later. Academy coaches were promoted the demoted. Sometimes there were three or four 'legacy' coaches hanging around, at other times there were barely enough people to take training session. Scouts picked players and were dispatched before seeing them play more then a handful of games.

The only fucker that seems to be made of teflon is Meire.

I would hope that after the efforts of Slade and KR, that sort of stuff (medical/fitness staff, analysts, scouts etc) would have been resolved. After all an analyst probably costs a fraction of Texeira's wages...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    He took MK Dons up - unlike Slade who has taken no team up. So whilst he may not be the best manager in thw world, he clearly can do it if backed and with a fair wind. I think the question has to be whether he will be backed or not! I think I know the answer, but hope I am wrong!
  • Options
    He's not a happy bunny. Something has changed or happened.
  • Options

He took MK Dons up - unlike Slade who has taken no team up. So whilst he may not be the best manager in thw world, he clearly can do it if backed and with a fair wind. I think the question has to be whether he will be backed or not! I think I know the answer, but hope I am wrong!

He took MK Dons up with a current England interntional in the team. Slade took two unlikely teams in Orient and Yeovil to League One play off finals.

I've not been impressed with either but no doubt both could do a better job if backed.
  • Options

He took MK up with a front 3 of Ali Grigg and Afobe. At this level thats incredible. They all stayed fit all season and all are far too good for this league. I don't think there would take much for a manager takeover get a side with those 3 promoted from this league.
  • Options

He's not a happy bunny. Something has changed or happened.

out with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've always admired his passion and enthusiasm, certainly against the backdrop of the shitfest that continues to play out behind the scenes. I don't believe that he has the experience or tactical ability, nor skills to motivate to get us out of this league. And again, that's against the backdrop of the shitfest.

If that interview was a way of 'threatening' more money for signings then again, we're getting mixed messages. I'm yet to write up my thoughts on the Q&A with Meire on Sunday, but she said already KR has 11/12 players lined up. So either he's hinting this isn't true by the tone of his interview, or she's definitely lying.....
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

The two quotes that stood out for me in the Charlton Live interview-

"I've got to plan as if I'm going to bring the players in to move forward"

And

"I'll sit down about myself with the club and see what direction everybody wants to go in. I want to be here and be successful........ That's my message, let's have a go. Let's do what we have to do because you can't hang around mid table. There's nothing to play for and it's not what Charlton Athletic are for."

Plus there's more about getting the financial support right. It's really worth listening to Terry's interview to make your own mind up, link in my post on page one.

Coupled with me last question which was "Bet you can't wait to get your teeth stuck into your summer business" and he replied -

"Listen let's just see what happens now. Let's just get over today and we'll see where we go from here."

"Let's just get over today"

Strange wording, it's the sort of thing you'd expect to be said after a heavy defeat, not a 3-0 victory

• Options
    Sounds to me like no plan and no budget!!!

If my son had learnt his lessons like that he would still be shitting on the carpet at 10!
  • Options
    Doesn't sound like a man who has been given a good vote of support already does it?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

'Hopefully' he will gone soon and certainly before he can litter the place with MK Dons has-beens and anyone else he's met along the way who blew smoke up his jacksy. There is always a lot of talk, usually in contradictory riddles and cliches which mean absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    It could be read so many different ways. But clearly there's a shift of some description.

I'm holding onto RD isn't going to fund the transfers he wants as RD has no intention of being the owner this time next year. Therefore he's told Robinson to simply hold in mid table.

I suspect Robinson is not happy about that as he knows he'd likely be out under new owners anyway and doesn't want to tread water. I believe he could be the first one to walk, would also at least in part answer Barkers leaving.

That's what I hear and that's what I'm clinging onto :wink:

No doubt though CAFC will continue to be the gift that keeps on giving over the summer/close season. Might also be why no official announcement on JJ yet. He might need to be more player than coach!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HandG said:

I suspect the coaching changes, particularly Barker, might be the catalyst behind his interview. He has been promised this and that by Katrien but Roland has said no and part of the cost cutting is to reduce the coaching staff against KR's wishes.

I don't dislike KR and think he could do a decent job given the right tools but he would really go up in my estimation if he has the balls to resign because of false promises by the idiots running our club.

No idea what's going on behind the scenes, but we did have too many coaches

Robinson and Barker
    Simon Clark
    Congo Chris

Then he brought in Lee Bowyer, and there's Jacko who will be coaching next season as well
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

And

"I'll sit down about myself with the club and see what direction everybody wants to go in. I want to be here and be successful........ That's my message, let's have a go. Let's do what we have to do because you can't hang around mid table. There's nothing to play for and it's not what Charlton Athletic are for."

Plus there's more about getting the financial support right. It's really worth listening to Terry's interview to make your own mind up, link in my post on page one.

Coupled with my last question which was "Bet you can't wait to get your teeth stuck into your summer business" and he replied -

"Listen let's just see what happens now. Let's just get over today and we'll see where we go from here."

It could be that he is simply playing a few games aimed at getting Roland to cut him some slack in the summer regarding players he can bring in. I can't imagine he's going to quit ...there's hardly likely to be a queue of clubs desperate to tempt him away from The Valley after the season he's 'enjoyed'.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

And

Coupled with my last question which was "Bet you can't wait to get your teeth stuck into your summer business" and he replied -

It's been a long season. Even though he's only been here since Dec, I bet he's glad it's over. I know most of us are
  • Options

Sounds to me like no plan and no budget!!!

If my son had learnt his lessons like that he would still be shitting on the carpet at 10!

So business as usual then ?
  • Options
    A further comment I've just noticed when he was talking about the training ground revamp -

"Hopefully I can be part of the rebuilding process"
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    With all this stability that Karl obviously thinks we need, comments like that from him don't really help
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

A further comment I've just noticed when he was talking about the training ground revamp -

I generally think there is a takeover happening and he knows something !!
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:

LouisMend said:

I generally think there is a takeover happening and he knows something !!
    It's happening!