Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magennis turns down contract offer!!! (Ed. Page 9 signs new contract)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Bloody hell we're massively in the shit if he goes.

Seems to go against his character that has come through so well over the last year.

I don't blame him for a) wanting to get out of a club that has been a bit if a basket case and b) wanting to play at a higher level in a world cup year.

If I'm being optimistic I'm hoping that him turning down a contract offer isn't him wanting to leave now but wanting to assess his options for next year before committing to a long future here.

Being realistic I think we will lose him and not replace him. It would be better business to keep him until Jan or even the summer. If it means getting less or nothing for him fair enough but to lose him and not replace him would be criminal.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    If only we had two decent goal scorers already on the books ..... Igor, Ajose ...
    Whether they're right for the system or not, we need bodies if he goes
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

As long as we can replace him, he's not the most prolific

But effective and causes defences a lot of problems. Can't blame him when Holmes has just got a new deal after his first season. Already need a forward, we should do our best to keep him.
  • Options

We will struggle to get a striker of as much all round ability as him in league 1. He is good in the air, has good link up play, holds the ball up well and brings others into the game, he is physical and won't let defences bully him, a good finisher and surprisingly quick for a big guy.

Most league 1 strikers have some but not all of those skills. This late on in the window we have no chance of getting anyone close.

Have to disagree that he is a good finisher.
  • Options
    To be fair to the club, if he's asking for silly money then they need to say no.

I'd rather just play him for the year than dump him off for next to nothing though. He's going to be playing for a transfer so won't put in bad performances.
  • Options

We will struggle to get a striker of as much all round ability as him in league 1. He is good in the air, has good link up play, holds the ball up well and brings others into the game, he is physical and won't let defences bully him, a good finisher and surprisingly quick for a big guy.

Most league 1 strikers have some but not all of those skills. This late on in the window we have no chance of getting anyone close.

Who did MK Dons have as their first choice striker when KR took them up? Genuine question. It is possible to play with a smaller fella up top in a 4-2-3-1 but you need to keep it on the deck all the time.

Said a while ago, I think Vetokele would have done a good job at it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't know why people are getting despondent we should all be hardened to kicks in the nether regions after the last 3 1/2 years

Fear not we'll no doubt have a 20 goal a season striker lined up...........oh wait that didn't go too well with the last one we signed :open_mouth: .
  • Options

Have to disagree that he is a good finisher.
    He has shown flashes of quality finishing, his third goal in his hat trick was a peach, but he's not yet a consistent goalscorer. That said, without his injury he would probably have got close to 15 last season playing in front of a shite midfield. I think there are potentially more goals in him in a team that creates chances.
  • Options
    This is why we should have never let Piotr leave. Or Reza.

Good job our managers tactics don't rely on a target man up front alone
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Just had an alarming thought......what if he joins St Truiden!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Disappointed as think he would do well with two decent crossers of the ball in the team (Holmes + Marshall (when fit)).

He wont be replaced and if he is it will most likely be an untested loan player.

Once again our thin squad is exposed.
  • Options
    It may just be that the player and/or his agent has asked for way too much and as a negotiating tactic we have made it clear that he signs a realistic contract or he leaves. It may we'll be that no one else is going to pay him more as well as a transfer fee and he will come back with his tail between his legs and sign a contract.

I would prefer to keep him but I am quite confident that he is not good enough for the Championship so what are the chances of him getting a lot more money that we would pay him.

If he leaves, good luck to him, but he is, absolutely, no Kermorgant!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh come on! With all the skill and acumen we have at the club, our management team and ownership should have no problem solving this "little ripple"...
  • Options
    Slightly surprised that the issue of Josh's contract has only come up now

I suspect that this has been rumbling on for a couple of months
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    His really not worth giving a big contract to in order to keep him, if he doesn't want improved terms then sell. I'd be surprised if any championship teams even wanted him with his goal return in league one.
  • Options

Who did MK Dons have as their first choice striker when KR took them up? Genuine question. It is possible to play with a smaller fella up top in a 4-2-3-1 but you need to keep it on the deck all the time.

Said a while ago, I think Vetokele would have done a good job at it.
    They had a front 3 of Ali, Will Grigg and Benik Afobe. All wayyy too good for this league and far better than anything we have.
  • Options

It may just be that the player and/or his agent has asked for way too much and as a negotiating tactic we have made it clear that he signs a realistic contract or he leaves. It may we'll be that no one else is going to pay him more as well as a transfer fee and he will come back with his tail between his legs and sign a contract.

I would prefer to keep him but I am quite confident that he is not good enough for the Championship so what are the chances of him getting a lot more money that we would pay him.

If he leaves, good luck to him, but he is, absolutely, no Kermorgant!

Speaking of which????