Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magennis turns down contract offer!!! (Ed. Page 9 signs new contract)

Comments

• Options

Gotta laugh. Only read a few comments on this thread but...
    On the "magennis next in contract talks" thread it's all "great news" he's "loyal and proper professional" and "essential for us" etc.
    Now some are saying he's "not that prolific", "misses way too often", "a league one player and nothing more".

Ha,ha, only on CL mate!

It was just a couple of days ago that everyone was demanding we sign a new striker, nobody good enough if Magennis gets injured, something that I agree with, then Swisdom posts that KM wants us to sign another striker and the place goes into melt down with 'how very dare she', 'who the f**k does she think she is' posts.

You couldn't make it up!
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Assuming this is correct, it's very disappointing that It's come into the public domain. Coming from Kilmarnock in the SPL, Magennis was bound to be on a very modest salary and you can see why he might be content to run his contract down with just a year to go. That is especially so as, absent injury, he's likely to be playing in the World Cup next summer. Not a bad shop window for any player, especially one on a Bosman. For example, a good performance at the Euros earned Josh's teammate, Michael McGovern, a move from Hamilton to Norwich.

We don't know what to sort of offers or demands are being made and I expect a fair amount of spin will be put out there for our consumption. It's complete speculation but it may be that Magennis' response to the club's offer is effectively a constructive declinature on the basis that, in the absence of a big salary premium, he'd prefer to let his contract run down, strengthening his negotiating position as it does. That's entirely his prerogative. If he'd performed badly last season, the club would be looking to unload him next summer and it's a two way street. The other important factor is whether another club or clubs have already approached his agent with a proposal. If not, they're likely to be doing so shortly if Charlton have, indeed, said he's available for transfer.

If the player does go, I can't see us getting much of a premium on the £250,000 we apparently paid for him and, sadly, we're not a particularly attractive proposition for players, given our poor reputation in the game. I hope I'm wrong but it's difficult to see us securing an adequate replacement, especially with the season starting in a week's time.

Perhaps some middle ground will be found after a couple of rounds of posturing and playing hardball. Let's hope so. If not and if no acceptable offer is made for the player, the club might have to let his contract run down and at least have Magennis' services for this season or until the January window (much as the loss of a transfer fee will perturb Duchatelet). Magennis doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who won't apply himself and there is, to some extent, an alignment of interests, as he'll have an incentive to play well and attract suitors.

Top post
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Apparently one of Nicky "Billy big spuds"Ajose's many annoying habits is to brag about his salary and it's likely that Josh is way behind that. I'd guess he's feeling undervalued.

Strange as he doesn't seem the sort to rock the boat like that and if rumours are to be believed and he's already being touted to any agent that will listen then it seems we are miles apart from each other

Perhaps you can ask the squirrel for confirmation of the rumours.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Reading this thread and I keep humming 'who do you think you are kidding mr hitler...'

For a site where everybody considers themselves better qualified for owning and running a club, not to mention managing and coaching the team, the first sniff of a routine issue that has to be dealt with and everybody runs around like corporal jones.

Don't panic captain mainwaring...

To be fair, most on here probably could do a better job of running the club.
    And back in the real world, most on here run dick-shit in their day jobs and those that do don't have the 24/7 real-time crap that comes with teams like charlton
    Your comment may well be right, BUT perhaps you miss the point of what Otto is saying.

Coupled with that our current manager allegedly commented on us being "a basket case of a club" when he was with Milton Keynes.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

While I'd rather keep him, he is a very average league one player.

As I said earlier, the Czech Republic's best defenders would beg to differ, and they are a bit better than League One

The blokes a real handful and can do some damage at Championship level imho.
    The proof is in the pudding, he plays for Charlton and doesn't exactly have a queue of Championship teams chasing him.

How many of our current xi would get in to Powell's league winning team? Not many is the answer.
    He'd get on the bench as cover for Yann. Which is still better than most of the current team.
  • Options
    Was always going to happen with this player due to his relative high profile I would have thought, no surprise really
  • Options
    I don't particularly rate him, limited mid table league one striker from what I have seen. Might get 10-15 goals a season. The issue is that we have no one else. Letting him go would be a very bad call for that reason alone. We already needed back up to him. If we let him go we will need two new strikers and that just won't happen.
  • Options
    i've never called him the world beater that some claim he is, but hes okay and about the level the club is currently, i do think league 1 is his level, and cant blame him for wanting to move on, as were not exactly a stable club and there are far better in league 1.

he seems like a nice guy and good to be around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

only just read through this thread.

The timing of this post is brilliant
  • Options
    Not surprised he's looking for a better contract, why wouldn't he? He knows he's likely to be 1st on the team sheet up top so why should he be 3rd placed in the salary stakes (probably 4th if you include Ajose).

It's then up to the club what they want to do, it'd be foolish IMHO to not do something, whether thats enough for Josh is then down to him.

I don't think he'll leave now, but it won't be good for moral if they don't come to an agreement and he'll almost certainly leave on a free next year.

I think he's better than average in this league, but he'll never be prolific, he fits what KR wants though. Even with him I don't see the current squad being a top 6 side, with a fair wind we might sneak a 5th/6th place but I think more likely we'll be a middle of the road somewhere in the 10th to 14th place team.

That could all change with 3 or 4 decent signings but I'm not holding my breath on that, more likely 2-3 loans of average ability.....

As it stands I don't see us scoring more than the 60 goals we did last year which will be too little for the play offs.
  • Options
    Admittedly only seen him a few times, but I've been impressed with what I've seen. Surprised that those who've seen him more seem to rate him less
  • Options

Admittedly only seen him a few times, but I've been impressed with what I've seen. Surprised that those who've seen him more seem to rate him less

He works very hard for sure, his touch often lets him down and I felt he often was behind his better team mates in reading the game, to me he's a poor mans Leaburn. Playing in a 442 I think he'd do better.
  • Options
    If he was on 2k a week and knows Ajose, Novak and Watt who are all squad players or on loan are on more, he would have every right to ask for more.

We probably low balled him as per usual.
  • Options
    He's a good player. Seemed to go off the boil a bit when he came back from injury, and I couldn't place if it were the after effects of the injury, or that he also looked a little jaded and disinterested.

Be a big loss because looking at Watt, Novak & Ahearne Grant, I don't feel that any of them would be able to step up. Far too much responsibility to place on the shoulders of Hackett Fairchild and anyone deluded enough to think RD would sanction a replacement of equal standing is deluded.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I've no special knowledge here but it seems we've left things a little late in negotiating with Josh ? We heard for weeks and weeks of an offer on the table for Ricky Holmes and yet we've left it dangerously late in talking with Magennis or has the Holmes situation just eclipsed the Macgennis one ? The fact this has just emerged leads me to think we havnt been speaking with him that long.

If JM really wants out and won't sign an extension then we need to sell him now. His January value will be much much less. Another couple of weeks talking to him, his agent and possibly other interested clubs will not leave enough time to get in his replacement. That will effectively end our season before it starts. Can you really see Duchatelet spending what's required on a replacement without Macgennis already being out the door. In any case finding and signing said replacement won't be simple and clubs will have us over a barrel.

I'm not going to criticise the club without the full picture being available but it does look like another management fuck up.
  • Options

Gotta laugh. Only read a few comments on this thread but...
    On the "magennis next in contract talks" thread it's all "great news" he's "loyal and proper professional" and "essential for us" etc.
    Now some are saying he's "not that prolific", "misses way too often", "a league one player and nothing more".

Why have you got to laugh though? None of those things are mutually exclusive, are they?

Contract talks were great news, did indicate that he's a loyal and proper professional and essential for us. But the other things are correct too. He's not prolific, he does miss too often (but then so did Andrew Cole for Man Utd.) and he is a League One player. What's he going to do? Say, yeah I'll have another year but you can pay me the same as what I'm earning now? I don't think so.

So, your problem is what? In case it has passed you by, we are a bang average League One club with no ambition. So, he's ideal for us. Because that's what strikers are like in such teams.
  • Options

I've no special knowledge here but it seems we've left things a little late in negotiating with Josh ? We heard for weeks and weeks of an offer on the table for Ricky Holmes and yet we've left it dangerously late in talking with Magennis or has the Holmes situation just eclipsed the Macgennis one ? The fact this has just emerged leads me to think we havnt been speaking with him that long.

If JM really wants out and won't sign an extension then we need to sell him now. His January value will be much much less. Another couple of weeks talking to him, his agent and possibly other interested clubs will not leave enough time to get in his replacement. That will effectively end our season before it starts. Can you really see Duchatelet spending what's required on a replacement without Macgennis already being out the door. In any case finding and signing said replacement won't be simple and clubs will have us over a barrel.

I'm not going to criticise the club without the full picture being available but it does look like another management fuck up.

I disagree that we need to sell him now. We shouldn't sell him until we have a replacement - I don't see why we can't continue conversations with Josh and get someone else lined up as insurance if those talks fail, that would be the sensible approach surely?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Reading this thread and I keep humming 'who do you think you are kidding mr hitler...'

For a site where everybody considers themselves better qualified for owning and running a club, not to mention managing and coaching the team, the first sniff of a routine issue that has to be dealt with and everybody runs around like corporal jones.

And back in the real world, most on here run dick-shit in their day jobs and those that do don't have the 24/7 real-time crap that comes with teams like charlton
    Speak for yourself :wink:
  • Options

We will struggle to get a striker of as much all round ability as him in league 1. He is good in the air, has good link up play, holds the ball up well and brings others into the game, he is physical and won't let defences bully him, a good finisher and surprisingly quick for a big guy.

Most league 1 strikers have some but not all of those skills. This late on in the window we have no chance of getting anyone close.

Have to disagree that he is a good finisher.
    Indeed. Good with his head, so-so with his feet. Novak' worse in all departments, though.
  • Options

Stick him in Goal for the reserves and let his contract run down.

If only we'd done that with Parker.
    He did actually sign a 5 (FIVE) YEAR contract about 6 (SIX) MONTHS EARLIER.
  • Options
    The club is just not run well enough -full stop - sort this out early, one way or another - at this stage it is very disrupting.
  • Options

Not really sure why anyone is surprised by this, classic issue with 2 year contracts.

We've shown no signs of being on the up, and the players stock has risen during that time. He potentially will see good demand as a free agent, most likely from the Championship, so what incentive is there to sign a contract now unless it is particularly favourable?

Championship tell you don't watch him week in week out
  • Options

If he was on 2k a week and knows Ajose, Novak and Watt who are all squad players or on loan are on more, he would have every right to ask for more.

We probably low balled him as per usual.

It was still an improvement on what he was on in Scotland.

However, he probably knows he has a strong hand for a rise so why not ask. We'd all do the same where we work.
  • Options

Speak for yourself :wink:
    Like.
  • Options
    Make him play out his contract, if he bangs in goals he can walk in the summer after promotion .... if he doesn't bang the goals he proves he wasn't worth a raise.

• Options
    Admittedly I've not seen much of Josh, but I like the cut of his jib and would be difficult for us to replace.
    This to me this reeks of the departure of Yann. Club receives an offer equal or exceeding their value of the player. They then put it about that the player is being greedy. Player is sold without any consideration to the effect it will have on the team.
    Meire then tells a few people on a train six months later, that the sale of Big Josh paid for the new dugouts.
    Rinse and repeat.