Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magennis turns down contract offer!!! (Ed. Page 9 signs new contract)

Comments

• Options
    I think Josh would be an asset at championship level but probably not as a striker, doesn't have that predatory instinct for me, could do a job on the left like the does for NI though
  • Options
    Not sure how true it is but I had heard he wasn't too impressed with the club announcing that they were in talks to renew as they hadn't even sat down with him yet and he felt they were using him/putting him in an awkward position.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

While I'd rather keep him, he is a very average league one player.

As I said earlier, the Czech Republic's best defenders would beg to differ, and they are a bit better than League One

Let's ask Reza about that one shall we?
    Well you can ask him if you like, but you might as well ask Lee Novak, for all the experience either have of taking on the Czech national team.

• Options
    If Magennis has asked for so much money that KR has shopped him around then I'm not sure I want him here. He's a decent player st this level who I'd rather stay but he's far from unreplacable and is infinitely overrated by some. Every other striker is big and physical at this level, he's nothing special.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Let him go
    If they don't want to be here bye bye

Who says he doesn't want to be here ? He hasn't. The way I see it is that he has a year to go on his contract & as we have recently tied down both Pearce & Holmes to longer deals we decided to do the same to him. All he has done (if the rumours are true) is turn it down & asked for more money. We don't have to offer him what he wants - just leave the deal on the table & carry on. He is here for this season & then see what happens come next May. He may be surplus to requirements then, he may not - who knows. We don't need to sell him (& would be pretty stupid to do so) so nothing changes & we carry on. The World Cup thing is a red herring - he's been picked for every match N Ireland have had since he's been with us & is a pivotal player for them, that's not going to change if he stays with us & so looking for a move to improve his chances next June doesnt come into the equation .

I think its all a fuss about nothing. Also, if we did sell him we wouldn't get much for him - £300-400K ?. So what's the point.
    Problem is though if we don't meet his demands we have an unhappy player on our hands who may not be motivated esp if he knows Holmes, Pearce etc are on more than him. If he knows another Club is interested he may well force a move. It sounds like this is true.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

As I said earlier, the Czech Republic's best defenders would beg to differ, and they are a bit better than League One

Again, you're basing that assessment on one game. Tony Watt scored a winning goal against Barcelona in the Champions League once....

Magennis has scored ONE goal out of twenty plus games for Northern Ireland. Yes he is an international but he is really not a world beater just because he threw his weight about a bit against Czech Republic.

He did well for us last season but still was on the whole 'League One level' in his overall contribution.

I'd have him starting for sure, but I don't get this idea that he is some sort of irreplaceable goal machine that clubs will be clamouring for. He isn't!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Good mind games by the fucktards running our club , they can easily Derren Brown style pull the wool over Charlton fans eyes .
    He signs a new contract and then Essex Al and swisdom can wax lyrical about how great our club and management is and bobcafc can like all their posts .

And you get to whinge once again. Everyone's a winner.

• Options
    Apparently one of Nicky "Billy big spuds"Ajose's many annoying habits is to brag about his salary and it's likely that Josh is way behind that. I'd guess he's feeling undervalued.

Strange as he doesn't seem the sort to rock the boat like that and if rumours are to be believed and he's already being touted to any agent that will listen then it seems we are miles apart from each other
  • Options

Any slim hope of us making a promotion push goes if Josh moves on. I have no confidence he'll be replaced with anyone anywhere near his ability. Leaves us with KAG, Novak, Watt and for arguments sake, Erwin.

Eight days until the start of the season and we're up sh*t creek without a paddle...

again.

This. Forget promotion if he goes. Mainly because they won't replace him.
  • Options
    Very similar to Deon Burton ability wise, shame if the story is true but not too bothered of it was.

He was not prolific, we were gonna do shit again this season anyway...
  • Options

Any slim hope of us making a promotion push goes if Josh moves on. I have no confidence he'll be replaced with anyone anywhere near his ability. Leaves us with KAG, Novak, Watt and for arguments sake, Erwin.

Eight days until the start of the season and we're up sh*t creek without a paddle...

again.

This. Forget promotion if he goes. Mainly because they won't replace him.
    But you didn't think we would get promoted anyway ? In fact majority of people on here don't think we will score enough goals as the reason why and that would mainly come down to that fact I wouldn't say Magennis is a natural goal scorer I'll be gutted if he goes as I rate him highly but if he doesn't want to sign a new contract and wants to leave then so be it.

That's even if this rumour is true as only two days ago people were convinced Konsa was leaving and if it is true I take it we now want two new strikers we'll just have to see what state we're in by the end of August.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Reading this thread and I keep humming 'who do you think you are kidding mr hitler...'

For a site where everybody considers themselves better qualified for owning and running a club, not to mention managing and coaching the team, the first sniff of a routine issue that has to be dealt with and everybody runs around like corporal jones.

Don't panic captain mainwaring...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017
    If he wants ridiculous wages then it isn't the club's fault, he didn't cost much and if we are serious about having a decent season (yeah right) let him go next summer for nothing.

His wage demands are not the regime's fault but the fact our squad once again has not gaps but cannons in it is. Yet again we are looking at another season with a squad nowhere near a realistic chance of promotion, especially if Magennis goes. Especially as no sane club would sell us a replacement this close to the start of the season.
  • Options
    This saga has a Yann Kermorgant ring about it in some ways.
  • Options
    That's football!

It's happened before and it will happen again when it comes to contracts.

He's still our player until he may go, so use him in the eleven. We have had players before in the team who were on the transfer list. If he wants to go he will play to the best of his ability.
  • Options

Reading this thread and I keep humming 'who do you think you are kidding mr hitler...'

For a site where everybody considers themselves better qualified for owning and running a club, not to mention managing and coaching the team, the first sniff of a routine issue that has to be dealt with and everybody runs around like corporal jones.

To be fair, most on here probably could do a better job of running the club.
    And back in the real world, most on here run dick-shit in their day jobs and those that do don't have the 24/7 real-time crap that comes with teams like charlton
  • Options

PopIcon said:

The blokes a real handful and can do some damage at Championship level imho.
    The proof is in the pudding, he plays for Charlton and doesn't exactly have a queue of Championship teams chasing him.

How many of our current xi would get in to Powell's league winning team? Not many is the answer.
  • Options

To be fair, most on here probably could do a better job of running the club.
    And back in the real world, most on here run dick-shit in their day jobs and those that do don't have the 24/7 real-time crap that comes with teams like charlton
    About 99.8% of the "real-time crap" associated with Charlton is generated by the SMT itself.
  • Options
    If Josh leaves a week before the season starts then we are in big trouble. I really, really hope this is just his agent trying to gain some leverage.