Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Magennis turns down contract offer!!! (Ed. Page 9 signs new contract)

Comments

• We are currently the most unorganized football club in history that never learns from mistakes.

Sort the squad out before the new season starts.

We find the concept very difficult.
  • [CARD mode: engage]

This was all a manufactured rumour to make us relieved when Magennis signs a new contract - relieved enough that we no longer want another striker as well

[CARD mode: disengage]
  • If he does go, a good replacement would be John Akinde. Plays for barnet, and was joint top scorer in league 2 last season. Has averaged a goal every 1.7 games over the past 3 years. Very similar sort of player to magennis and reckon he would fit in our system very well. Think that he could score 20 goals for us next season IF he stays fit
  • Leuth said:

[CARD mode: engage]

This was all a manufactured rumour to make us relieved when Magennis signs a new contract - relieved enough that we no longer want another striker as well

And not notice as Konsa slips away.
  • Swisdom said:

My stance is he is no world beater but he is definitely effective in this division and definitely effective in a 4231 where you need your striker to be mobile, able to hold up the ball, bring others into play and provide assists.

Josh was the 4th fastest player at the Euro's last year - he really is that fast
    He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

Let's be honest - he looks and plays like (fat)Ronaldo used to and if he could finish like him we'd have never seen him in a Charlton shirt.

Someone near me quoted a Kilmarnock fan as saying "If he could finish he'd be worth £20m". Slight exaggeration but the sentiment is about right.

If he's on £2/3k a week then he deserves a pay rise. And a hefty one at that. If Ajose is on £6k a week then he deserves AT LEAST that. He is the best striker at the club by a mile.

Best tell your mate Katrien that ;-)
  • Leuth said:

[CARD mode: engage]

Sounds familiar !
  • If he does go, a good replacement would be John Akinde. Plays for barnet, and was joint top scorer in league 2 last season. Has averaged a goal every 1.7 games over the past 3 years. Very similar sort of player to magennis and reckon he would fit in our system very well. Think that he could score 20 goals for us next season IF he stays fit

80 goals in 130 games but apparently he's had talks with many clubs over the last couple of years but his Nigerian mother is his agent and she's impossible to negotiate with. That's why he is still at Barnet - Heard that from a Barnet supporting friend of mine.
    His mum must really like Barnet then, can't imagine it would be hard to top his wages.
  • Talal said:

If he does go, a good replacement would be John Akinde. Plays for barnet, and was joint top scorer in league 2 last season. Has averaged a goal every 1.7 games over the past 3 years. Very similar sort of player to magennis and reckon he would fit in our system very well. Think that he could score 20 goals for us next season IF he stays fit

80 goals in 130 games but apparently he's had talks with many clubs over the last couple of years but his Nigerian mother is his agent and she's impossible to negotiate with. That's why he is still at Barnet - Heard that from a Barnet supporting friend of mine.
    His mum must really like Barnet then, can't imagine it would be hard to top his wages.
    Can't imagine them being worried about the money, her husband is probably a Nigerian Prince
  • Sponsored links:

Reading this thread and I keep humming 'who do you think you are kidding mr hitler...'

For a site where everybody considers themselves better qualified for owning and running a club, not to mention managing and coaching the team, the first sniff of a routine issue that has to be dealt with and everybody runs around like corporal jones.

Don't panic captain mainwaring...

Dave2l said:

We are currently the most unorganized football club forum in history that never learns from mistakes.

Sort the wild rumours out before the new season starts.

We find the concept very difficult.

Fixed it for you
  • edited July 2017
  • What's Tucudean up to these days?

Tucadean plays for Romanian Champions Viitorul Constanta and was sent off last night in their 1-0 first leg win against APOEL Nicosia in the Champions League Qualifiers!!
    Remember us beating Apoel 9 - 0 in pre season friendly around 69/70/71 (getting old memory fading :neutral: ) & then they drew with the arse 0-0 a few days later

Sorry back on thread :smile:
    Remember that too, but thought it was an end of season game

I was wondering why John had not found a higher league club. He was in the Gravesend and Northfleet Academy team with my two sons, he can certainly score goals, not seen him for years. John when he was 16 was a very unassuming, quiet type off the field,very strong physical player, and had a presence on it. (Was in the same team with Tamer Tuna's elder brother who played for CAFC, neither of whom play football now I am told). Used to bring him back from training with a few of the players. Be delighted to see the lad get a chance at CAFC, I think he played against us a few year's back as a 'Sub' with one of the teams he was at, possibly Bristol?
  • It just shows how close we are to potential disaster. A managers determination to play a certain way when he only has one striker able to play the system effectively.
  • Swisdom said:

My stance is he is no world beater but he is definitely effective in this division and definitely effective in a 4231 where you need your striker to be mobile, able to hold up the ball, bring others into play and provide assists.

Josh was the 4th fastest player at the Euro's last year - he really is that fast
    He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

Let's be honest - he looks and plays like (fat)Ronaldo used to and if he could finish like him we'd have never seen him in a Charlton shirt.

Someone near me quoted a Kilmarnock fan as saying "If he could finish he'd be worth £20m". Slight exaggeration but the sentiment is about right.

If he's on £2/3k a week then he deserves a pay rise. And a hefty one at that. If Ajose is on £6k a week then he deserves AT LEAST that. He is the best striker at the club by a mile.

That is one of the most ridiculous player comparisons i've ever heard. One of the greatest strikers of all time, and a league one striker with about a 1 goal in 6-7 games strike rate.
    Feel free to ignore the salient part of the statement "if he could finish like him we'd have never seen him in a Charlton shirt."
  • if he wants to go, if his heart is not with us .. let him go asap .. he's not set the world on fire since he's been with us, full international or otherwise
  • Sponsored links:

• What we have to realise is that he is the ONLY striker we have who can be effective in Robinson's preferred formation.
    Lose him now and forget about any level of success this season.
  • edited July 2017
    He is the best of a bad bunch .. his strike rate is not much .. wants to go let him Go ....... millwall bound ???
  • edited July 2017

Josh Magennis has not rejected contract offer from Charlton. I know that rumour has been knocking about.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) 28 July 2017
  • edited July 2017
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

That is one of the most ridiculous player comparisons i've ever heard. One of the greatest strikers of all time, and a league one striker with about a 1 goal in 6-7 games strike rate.
    Feel free to ignore the salient part of the statement "if he could finish like him we'd have never seen him in a Charlton shirt."
    Welcome to CL, where anything you write can and will be taken out of context then ridiculed.
  • Fiiish said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

Welcome to CL, where anything you write can and will be taken out of context then ridiculed.
    Welcome? He's been a member since 2007 foooool!

:wink:
  • jdsd42 said:

He is the best of a bad bunch .. his strike rate is not much .. wants to go let him Go ....... millwall bound ???

And replace him with who ?
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

I'm still struggling to get my head round how you think he plays like Ronaldo though
  • jdsd42 said:

And replace him with who ?
    "whom"
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

I'm still struggling to get my head round how you think he plays like Ronaldo though
    I'm looking forward to seeing how he tries to reason it. Magennis and Ronaldo were not really similar in the slightest (in terms of style obviously, ability need not be discussed)