Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magennis turns down contract offer!!! (Ed. Page 9 signs new contract)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I still believe we should have got David Ball. He was the best available striker this window and he was a free. Or we could have got Billy Waters, who was picked up for almost nothing, as well.

PS- maybe we can make a move for Matt Godden?

PSS- or George Thomas, who has scored some screamers the last year, from Coventry. He wants to leave and it would only cost $500k as a development fee to get him. He is 20 wth big upside.
  • Options

I've no special knowledge here but it seems we've left things a little late in negotiating with Josh ? We heard for weeks and weeks of an offer on the table for Ricky Holmes and yet we've left it dangerously late in talking with Magennis or has the Holmes situation just eclipsed the Macgennis one ? The fact this has just emerged leads me to think we havnt been speaking with him that long.

If JM really wants out and won't sign an extension then we need to sell him now. His January value will be much much less. Another couple of weeks talking to him, his agent and possibly other interested clubs will not leave enough time to get in his replacement. That will effectively end our season before it starts. Can you really see Duchatelet spending what's required on a replacement without Macgennis already being out the door. In any case finding and signing said replacement won't be simple and clubs will have us over a barrel.

I'm not going to criticise the club without the full picture being available but it does look like another management fuck up.

And you're surprised, SHG ?

"Multifunctional" - yet another word that fails to make the Belgian dictionary.
  • Options

01 May 67 CAFC 9-0 Apoel Tees, Glover 3, Peacock 2 (1 pen), Firmani 2, Bonds Att 3461

I was there. Apoel had played Arsenal one or two days before and managed a creditable draw. '66-67 was not a vintage season for Charlton but against Apoel they went on the rampage. Look at who scored - great names all ....

Remember it well. What a night! We played La Gantoise around that time as well. I think we beat them too.
  • Options
    tell him ballocks and go and get yaya sanogo
  • Options
    dallas said:

tell him ballocks and go and get yaya sanogo

Please God no.
  • Options
    Who gives a flying fuck.

Charlton Athletic RIP

*hic*
  • Options

Admittedly only seen him a few times, but I've been impressed with what I've seen. Surprised that those who've seen him more seem to rate him less

Did you see him after his injury v Millwall?
  • Options
    edited July 2017

01 May 67 CAFC 9-0 Apoel Tees, Glover 3, Peacock 2 (1 pen), Firmani 2, Bonds Att 3461

I was there. Apoel had played Arsenal one or two days before and managed a creditable draw. '66-67 was not a vintage season for Charlton but against Apoel they went on the rampage. Look at who scored - great names all ....

'67 ? Blimey earlier than I thought ! Oh well as I said in my original post my memory isn't what it was. Also thought they played the arse after us. At least I remembered the score correctly. :smile:
    I guess this info was in a Charlton handbook as can't imagine you counted 3461 :smiley:
  • Options

I still believe we should have got David Ball. He was the best available striker this window and he was a free. Or we could have got Billy Waters, who was picked up for almost nothing, as well.

PSS- or George Thomas, who has scored some screamers the last year, from Coventry. He wants to leave and it would only cost $500k as a development fee to get him. He is 20 wth big upside.

I'd like Thomas, but think he's more of an attacking midfielder, as was Ball.

Billy Waters wasn't the answer, he's a decent enough player but wouldn't score anymore than Novak or even KAG IMO. Godden had a good season, albeit league below.

In fairness, it is not easy signing a striker who will score goals. We have had some in the past, but we have also had players on paper who should have done it but didn't. Nobody could really criticize the signing of Ajose, I think most of us expected him to score goals, it didn't work out.

Bogle would do the job I reckon, but surely he's going to the Championship.
  • Options

clb74 said:

cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

He is the best of a bad bunch .. his strike rate is not much .. wants to go let him Go ....... millwall bound ???

And replace him with who ?
    That is the problem ....Blackpool attracting anything half decent

How do you know what Blackpool72 struggles to attract? He could be quite the don for all you know
    Believe me, after Wimbledon away I can vouch that he is very much a ladies man.
    Muppet
    Cheers for getting the beers in at Wimbledon: )
    For god's sake, I've turned this into the Otto, elfsborg and Blackpool 72 show with one passing comment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

After Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, we don't want any more players with big upsides
  • Options

cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

He is the best of a bad bunch .. his strike rate is not much .. wants to go let him Go ....... millwall bound ???

How do you know what Blackpool72 struggles to attract? He could be quite the don for all you know
    Careful mate my Mrs reads this sometimes: )
    Don't worry about it, she will never believe it anyway. :wink:
    Lol lol lol
  • Options

clb74 said:

cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

Muppet
    The rest of the pub say thanks as well.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

clb74 said:

cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

Muppet
    For god's sake, I've turned this into the Otto, elfsborg and Blackpool 72 show with one passing comment
    Capital E for Elfsborg please.
  • Options

26 Oct 65 CAFC 4-2 ARA La Gantoise Glover, Haydock, Saunders, Kenning Att 7673

Both teams produced some fabulous football at times. Superb first half from La Gantoise but Charlton really clicked in the second half and were deserving winners. Wonderful goals, especially Ronnie Saunders'.

I was there. Home and Away records a second match against La Gantoise on 12 Aug 67 which I cannot recall at all. Charlton won 2-1 (Went and Firmani).
  • Options

I agree on Ball, but I believe he's spent his entire career oop north and I'm not sure he was too interested in moving.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I would like him to stay, and also for a credible addition in his position with a new signing.
    I would be glad to hear Josh is not kicking off, but being measured and orderly in his negotiations, because I find him to be one of the most likeable players we have had for years.

This. He seems like a lovely, articulate, hard working, down to earth man. It makes me a happier person knowing that he's not throwing his toys out, simply trying to get a deal on par with some of the top earners at the club, and rightfully so in my opinion.
  • Options
    A small bit of good news then in this striker crisis!
  • Options
    Good news but doesn't really solve anything. Just means we'll be left with 1 striker at the end of the window rather than none.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Scoham said:
    Great news. Magennis wanted to sign a new contract because we are an ambitious club, wow.
  • Options
    Well if he can stay fit all season we might do ok!
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Thank fuck. I've just bought a Magennis shirt with hopes that he'd extend

Well give it back, he will need it tomorrow
  • Options

Scoham said:
    Great news. Magennis wanted to sign a new contract because we are an ambitious club, wow.
    Ha, he wanted to leave a couple of weeks ago apparently !

I rated the bits I saw of him last season, so pleased
  • Options
    Annoys me how he mentioned that Shit bag Meire in playing an important part. In reality , she couldn't run a bath .
  • Options
    Good news. I like big Josh
  • Options
    Excellent news.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Excellent news and another important part of the rebuild. I would say most of the players we'd rather have let leave have now gone and most of the ones we'd rather stayed have committed to the club.

More ins needed, but Robinson says he's trying to get them in and so far he's been true to his word with transfers, even if some have taken longer than would have been ideal, so I am cautiously optimistic the deals will get done.

Still, with this lot, seeing is very much believing and question marks remain on whether or not the striking squad will be expanded (with or without Novak) and if Konsa will be here in September. It's been probably the best transfer window under this regime but it needs to be better still before we can call it a good one.
  • Options
    Good news.

Shame that we need two more strikers though, so can't be overly happy.