Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magennis turns down contract offer!!! (Ed. Page 9 signs new contract)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    He is worth what others would be prepared to pay him. Another option is to try to re-open negottations in a few months and park it for now. He has the opportunity to impress other clubs and increase potential wages so shouldn't be detrimental playing wise. We will have a greater sense of whether he is worth more money then. The problem is, his form before his injury suggested he could play in the Championship but after the injury he was pretty poor.
  • Options
    He blows hot and cold IMO.

If I thought there was a chance of a suitable replacement coming in, I wouldn't be too fussed.

But we all know that the gap will be plugged with yet another loan.

Transfer windows under this mob are Groundhog Day personified. Same old same old.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

He blows hot and cold IMO.

If I thought there was a chance of a suitable replacement coming in, I wouldn't be too fussed.

But we all know that the gap will be plugged with yet another loan.

Transfer windows under this mob are Groundhog Day personified. Same old same old.

Yes, many of us keep saying that, but you still get a number of fans expecting the next window to be different. At least we that have worked it out are less disapointed - although no less frustrated!
  • Options
    I like Josh and losing him would be a big blow.
    Gives Robinson and the regime even more of an excuse for failure.
    We needed to add a striker not lose one. If Josh goes we have to add TWO with a week to go.
    Fresh start my arse.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I've no special knowledge here but it seems we've left things a little late in negotiating with Josh ? We heard for weeks and weeks of an offer on the table for Ricky Holmes and yet we've left it dangerously late in talking with Magennis or has the Holmes situation just eclipsed the Macgennis one ? The fact this has just emerged leads me to think we havnt been speaking with him that long.

If JM really wants out and won't sign an extension then we need to sell him now. His January value will be much much less. Another couple of weeks talking to him, his agent and possibly other interested clubs will not leave enough time to get in his replacement. That will effectively end our season before it starts. Can you really see Duchatelet spending what's required on a replacement without Macgennis already being out the door. In any case finding and signing said replacement won't be simple and clubs will have us over a barrel.

I'm not going to criticise the club without the full picture being available but it does look like another management fuck up.

I disagree that we need to sell him now. We shouldn't sell him until we have a replacement - I don't see why we can't continue conversations with Josh and get someone else lined up as insurance if those talks fail, that would be the sensible approach surely?
    Agree it would be the most sensible approach but also recognising we are in the last few weeks of the window. It's not been something we've just found out about. We've known Josh's contract has been approaching the last year since well, he signed it. We should be at the point of concluding the talks with him not just finding out he either wants away or wants mega bucks. It's all far far too late.

Either Josh holds us over a barrel (and good luck to him) or other clubs and players do when we seek out a replacement.

It's just not good management of resources yet again. Do you really think we have a list of strikers identified and tentative approaches made ? Or are we now scouring the lists of unattached and freebies.

I have no confidence this can end well. In fact it's a lose lose situation. The club is either forced to pay Josh whatever he wants or pay some other club or player over the odds because we are desperate.

SHAMBOLIC.

• Options
    He's one of the few decent players we have at this level. If he goes, and we don't get a better replacement (ie not Lee Irwin), then we are going to struggle yet again. How anyone can think we are looking for promotion is beyond me...
  • Options
    I don't think he's done enough to justify a jump in wages, myself. Maybe a little bump depending on what he's on as he's come in and impressed, but as a striker his record isn't up there with the best in the division.

If I was Robinson I'd be tempted to play hard ball - we'll give you "x", and as soon as you hit 15 goals this season then we'll bump it to "y". If not and he's asking for too much I'd start offering him around.

Holmes is a different animal in this division if he can reproduce what he did last year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need to sign a striker anyway. Do this before continuing negotiations.

At this moment he is the one in the strongest negotiating position as he is the only player in the squad that can play up front. Get a really good striker and he will be the backup striker worth even less.

Maybe this is why KM wanted a striker!
  • Options
    I think I echo most of what has already been said, but IMO, Magennis is a quality League 1 striker.

He leads by example, the effort was there, he's relatively quick, good in the air and can score a few goals. Not sure you can expect more from a striker at this level.

However, he is the Yann in our team and we needed a BWP. I don't think Magennis could have scored 20 goals this season. He is not a prolific enough goalscorer in a 4231, more suited to having a goalscoring partner in a 442.

I wouldn't mind losing him if Robbo could go out and spend money on a striker who could score goals and fit the system.

The biggest problem is we would lose a good striker and expect Novak/Watt/KAG to fill his boots, and maybe a cheap replacement. That has always been the issue under this lot and won't change.
  • Options

I don't think he's done enough to justify a jump in wages, myself. Maybe a little bump depending on what he's on as he's come in and impressed, but as a striker his record isn't up there with the best in the division.

If I was Robinson I'd be tempted to play hard ball - we'll give you "x", and as soon as you hit 15 goals this season then we'll bump it to "y". If not and he's asking for too much I'd start offering him around.

Holmes is a different animal in this division if he can reproduce what he did last year.

What if Novak is being paid double though. Magennis was one of our top players last year IMO and probably doesn't deserve much less than Holmes and Pearce, if at all.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

They will realise far too late that to replace him with even an adequate replacement (let alone a better player) will cost them even more. Or, they won't and tell Robinson he will have to make do.

Or they'll try & get Yann & pay him more than he was looking for 3 years ago
  • Options
    Why would a decent player stay at this barn case of a club if a opportunity came to leave for a better wage and a decent run club?.
  • Options

Knowing us we would set a target of say 15 goals.........when he reaches 14 we'll stick him in the resssies!
  • Options

Davo55 said:

They will realise far too late that to replace him with even an adequate replacement (let alone a better player) will cost them even more. Or, they won't and tell Robinson he will have to make do.

I'd love Yann back but he was great in the Championship last year. If Reading see him as surplus to requirements there will be plenty of more attractive suitors higher up the pyramid.

You're probably right on their negotiating tactics though
  • Options

Davo55 said:

The way they do things, this is probably true seeing as Yann is injured at present.
    http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kermorgant-injured-reading-striker-shortage-13319415
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017
    For any peasants who, like me, cannot view embedded tweets:

"Josh Magennis has not rejected contract offer from Charlton. I know that rumour has been knocking about."

- Rich Cawley on Twitter
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

"Josh Magennis has not rejected contract offer from Charlton. I know that rumour has been knocking about."

- Rich Cawley on Twitter

If you post a tweet it appears when you refresh the page

All very mysterious...
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

- Rich Cawley on Twitter

If you post a tweet it appears when you refresh the page

All very mysterious...
    Wish I'd known that - I can see the tweet now!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

- Rich Cawley on Twitter

I too am a peasant .. and I'm revolting #RolandOut
  • Options

To be fair to the club, if he's asking for silly money then they need to say no.

I'd rather just play him for the year than dump him off for next to nothing though. He's going to be playing for a transfer so won't put in bad performances.

Am I correct in saying we only paid 250k for him ? So hardly a fortune, they can allow him to run his contract down surely. There again we are talking about this cancerous crowd so no doubt we'll let him go out on loan & pay 90% of his wages & promote a 14 year old from one of the youth teams
  • Options

What's Tucudean up to these days?

Tucadean plays for Romanian Champions Viitorul Constanta and was sent off last night in their 1-0 first leg win against APOEL Nicosia in the Champions League Qualifiers!!
    Remember us beating Apoel 9 - 0 in pre season friendly around 69/70/71 (getting old memory fading :neutral: ) & then they drew with the arse 0-0 a few days later

Sorry back on thread :smile: