Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magennis turns down contract offer!!! (Ed. Page 9 signs new contract)

Comments

• Options

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

My stance is he is no world beater but he is definitely effective in this division and definitely effective in a 4231 where you need your striker to be mobile, able to hold up the ball, bring others into play and provide assists.

Josh was the 4th fastest player at the Euro's last year - he really is that fast
    He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

Let's be honest - he looks and plays like (fat)Ronaldo used to and if he could finish like him we'd have never seen him in a Charlton shirt.

Someone near me quoted a Kilmarnock fan as saying "If he could finish he'd be worth £20m". Slight exaggeration but the sentiment is about right.

If he's on £2/3k a week then he deserves a pay rise. And a hefty one at that. If Ajose is on £6k a week then he deserves AT LEAST that. He is the best striker at the club by a mile.

That is one of the most ridiculous player comparisons i've ever heard. One of the greatest strikers of all time, and a league one striker with about a 1 goal in 6-7 games strike rate.
    Feel free to ignore the salient part of the statement "if he could finish like him we'd have never seen him in a Charlton shirt."
    I'm still struggling to get my head round how you think he plays like Ronaldo though
    I think he means the fat Ronaldo at the end of his career who was a shadow of his former self .
    This is how I'm reading it and agree with Swisdom

*now that's a first , will I get a like from bobcafc :-)
  • Options
    Glad he looks like staying, but we still need a big hold up striker.
  • Options

What's Tucudean up to these days?

Tucadean plays for Romanian Champions Viitorul Constanta and was sent off last night in their 1-0 first leg win against APOEL Nicosia in the Champions League Qualifiers!!
    Remember us beating Apoel 9 - 0 in pre season friendly around 69/70/71 (getting old memory fading :neutral: ) & then they drew with the arse 0-0 a few days later

Sorry back on thread :smile:
    Remember that too, but thought it was an end of season game
    It could have been, as said memory is fading ;-( I just assumed it would of been pre rather than post season. So what year was it ?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

jdsd42 said:

He is the best of a bad bunch .. his strike rate is not much .. wants to go let him Go ....... millwall bound ???

And replace him with who ?
    "whom"
    Who does "whom" play for is he any good ?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

My stance is he is no world beater but he is definitely effective in this division and definitely effective in a 4231 where you need your striker to be mobile, able to hold up the ball, bring others into play and provide assists.

Josh was the 4th fastest player at the Euro's last year - he really is that fast
    He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

Let's be honest - he looks and plays like (fat)Ronaldo used to and if he could finish like him we'd have never seen him in a Charlton shirt.

Someone near me quoted a Kilmarnock fan as saying "If he could finish he'd be worth £20m". Slight exaggeration but the sentiment is about right.

If he's on £2/3k a week then he deserves a pay rise. And a hefty one at that. If Ajose is on £6k a week then he deserves AT LEAST that. He is the best striker at the club by a mile.

That is one of the most ridiculous player comparisons i've ever heard. One of the greatest strikers of all time, and a league one striker with about a 1 goal in 6-7 games strike rate.
    Feel free to ignore the salient part of the statement "if he could finish like him we'd have never seen him in a Charlton shirt."
    I'm still struggling to get my head round how you think he plays like Ronaldo though
    I'm looking forward to seeing how he tries to reason it. Magennis and Ronaldo were not really similar in the slightest (in terms of style obviously, ability need not be discussed)
    surprisingly fast - same attribute
    Plays up front - same position
    strong as an Ox - people bounce off him - same attribute
    Good in the air - same attribute

Of course he isn't in Ronaldo's league in terms of ability but there's plenty of similarities

there's just as many differences though. You are entitled to your opinion, but I have never seen Magennis and thought "poor mans Ronaldo" myself.

There's also hundreds of "surprisingly fast" players out there, and even more strikers!
  • Options

jdsd42 said:

He is the best of a bad bunch .. his strike rate is not much .. wants to go let him Go ....... millwall bound ???

That is the problem ....Blackpool attracting anything half decent

• Options

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he tries to reason it. Magennis and Ronaldo were not really similar in the slightest (in terms of style obviously, ability need not be discussed)

Of course he isn't in Ronaldo's league in terms of ability but there's plenty of similarities

there's just as many differences though. You are entitled to your opinion, but I have never seen Magennis and thought "poor mans Ronaldo" myself.

There's also hundreds of "surprisingly fast" players out there, and even more strikers!
    Unless you're comparing him to Ronaldo Barkero.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WIOTOS

When will people learn : - )
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

Are you Karl Robinson? He compared Joe Aribo to Patrick Vieira.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    To everyone saying he can go: let's try playing one up front with KAG, Watt or Novak.

Wonder how many points outside the play offs we'd be by Christmas.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

To everyone saying he can go: let's try playing one up front with KAG, Watt or Novak.

Wonder how how many points outside the play offs we'd be by Christmas.

I think that response is based on two things:
    1 - Some think we will replace Magennis with a striker who can play up top on their own and are more prolific than Magennis. I am not even sure how many of those players exist in our league and I doubt we would even replace him, let alone with one who could fire us up.
    2 - It's peoples response to hearing a player "doesn't want to be here"

I get the second point, but I don't even want to be there! Unfortunately Charlton is the only team for me so I have no choice. Different for players though, I wouldn't begrudge anyone walking away personally.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Gotta laugh. Only read a few comments on this thread but...
    On the "magennis next in contract talks" thread it's all "great news" he's "loyal and proper professional" and "essential for us" etc.
    Now some are saying he's "not that prolific", "misses way too often", "a league one player and nothing more".

It's almost like there's more than one person and a range of views on here.
    Nah, I'm not convinced, I'm certain that at least 99% of the stuff on here is posted by one bloke in a bedsit.
    It's like peering into a troubled mind.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

One head
    Two feet
    Both played at the Valley
    Both play for their country
    Both have played for a team in red
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

How do you know what Blackpool72 struggles to attract? He could be quite the don for all you know
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's as strong as an ox
    Good in the air
    Reasonable finisher.

Are you Karl Robinson? He compared Joe Aribo to Patrick Vieira.
    No. Everyone knows Dijksteel is the next Vieira
  • Options
    cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

How do you know what Blackpool72 struggles to attract? He could be quite the don for all you know
    :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

I've seen some old family photos - He used to be.......75 years ago when he was 30.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

01 May 67 CAFC 9-0 Apoel Tees, Glover 3, Peacock 2 (1 pen), Firmani 2, Bonds Att 3461

I was there. Apoel had played Arsenal one or two days before and managed a creditable draw. '66-67 was not a vintage season for Charlton but against Apoel they went on the rampage. Look at who scored - great names all ....
  • Options
    cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

Believe me, after Wimbledon away I can vouch that he is very much a ladies man.
  • Options

cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

I've seen some old family photos - He used to be.......75 years ago when he was 30.
    Lol.
  • Options

cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

Careful mate my Mrs reads this sometimes: )
  • Options

cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

Careful mate my Mrs reads this sometimes: )
    Don't worry about it, she will never believe it anyway. :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2017

cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

Muppet
    I can vouch after Wimbledon away I thought beer had doubled after my round
  • Options
    clb74 said:

cabbles said:

jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

Muppet
    Cheers for getting the beers in at Wimbledon: )
  • Options
    Anyway has he signed or not
    If not tell him his got till monday
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Which Monday, is it measured in hours like Stewart will sign in 48 hours, 5 days ago?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

clb74 said:

Which Monday, is it measured in hours like Stewart will sign in 48 hours, 5 days ago?
    Monday 31st July 2017