Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fleetwood v Charlton 30/09/17 post-match views

Comments

• Watched it on the feed. I thought the whole team played well. Fleetwood never really got into it especially as the game wore on. Was that us or was it because they just weren't very good?

Fosu - excellent. Sarr - immense at the back. A mention to Da Silva who I thought had a really good game. Everyone else put in a good shift and we didn't miss Solly. I thought Marshall looked a bit rusty when he came on but grew into the game and ended well. A good run out for him and I think he'll be an attacking force. I thought Reeves was bright from the minute he came on. Exciting that both of these two are available again. Now to keep them free of injury.

Overall I thought the team played really well and haven't seen that really since before the Wigan game.

3 point up North. Not bad!!
  • Do Pearce and Solly get back in if fit? Prefer the exra height myself.
  • He's coming for you,
    He's coming for you,
    Tariq Fosu,
    He's coming for you!
  • Great to get the win, hopefully the points per game average can start rising again.
  • Sponsored links:

• (or words to that effect)
  • ^^^^ great stuff @RedChaser ((:>)
  • Credit where it is due, I really enjoyed watching that on the stream, as i did Northampton. Could not say that about any game last season. Fosu may not be the finished article but bloody hell a hat-trick like that is no flash in the pan either, especially given how the Reading fans rated him.

@SDAddick has it all covered with his review above, except that, their goal. What happened there? Somebody got turned too easily I think, and for a few minutes afterwards we were wobbling a bit. Well quite a lot, actually.Like I said at h-t there is still a soft centre somewhere in defence but I can't work out exactly where or what. But I am talking about this in the context of, are we good enough to go up, whereas last weekend I was starting to think my 8th place prediction was looking optimistic. There was as SDA said, a calmness and authority to our game today that we haven't seen before. I think Sarr had a lot to do with that.

So fair play to Robinson and all of them today , job well done, and playing exciting football too.

It's a good point on the goal. If you look at the build up it's a decent kick-out from Amos, then a miscontrol by JFC (not the easiest to control), then Kashi crowds the ball and gets a foot on it and it falls to a Fleetwood player who plays a ball into Hiwula (I think it was) but Patty gets a foot on it and it falls to Grant who slots home. It's hard to tell from the camera angle but Konsa might have been slow to recover.

@ForeverAddickted put it well in his ratings by saying it was no one's fault, and I agree with that. Oftentimes we want one player to blame for a goal, but I don't think it was any one person's fault. It was a sloppy goal to concede in that we let them swarm us so high up the pitch, but I think there was a bit of shit luck in it too. You will sometimes concede those when you play a possession-based game with players high up the pitch.

I think it looked especially bad because we've had a fair few of those "soft center" goals this season. And their only other chance of note was a ball played to Hiwula (I think) at the top of the box to put it high and wide. But as you said, I think Sarr brings an assurance to the backline, as does having Bauer back at right center back, and I don't think it's a coincidence that those opportunities dried up as the game went on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched on the stream. We were very good. Sarr and obviously Fosu were stand out, but no-one had a bad game.

For the last 3 hours, I've had @AFKABartram 's daft "Fosu, Henry" (to the tune of 'Say You, Say Me') stuck in my head!
  • Daft ??? Daft ?????? :-)
  • At the game. A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon on the Fylde Coast.
    Went to the same chippie as last season as Jim's Sports Bar was a bit loud for my liking. The increasing blue sky mixed well with this likeable ground and a good view was had from the side seating area.
    Charlton played it backwards for the first 13 minutes but in their first real foray they scored with a lovely cross from Ricky that gave Fosu a relatively easy header.
    Bloody annoyed with their equaliser. A poor clearance from Amos was the catalyst..
    Then we had a lovely period of football culminating with Fosu's second goal.
    Although Fleetwood stepped it up in the second half, I always felt we were in control and I had a lovely view of Fosu completing his hat trick. Full marks for not going down when he could gone for a penalty.
    History was made this afternoon as we secured our first win at Highbury Stadium.
    With Reeves and Marshall coming in, we can be cautiously optimistic going forward.

At the game. A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon on the Fylde Coast.
    Went to the same chippie as last season as Jim's Sports Bar was a bit loud for my liking. The increasing blue sky mixed well with this likeable ground and a good view was had from the side seating area.
    Charlton played it backwards for the first 13 minutes but in their first real foray they scored with a lovely cross from Ricky that gave Fosu a relatively easy header.
    Bloody annoyed with their equaliser. A poor clearance from Amos was the catalyst..
    Then we had a lovely period of football culminating with Fosu's second goal.
    Although Fleetwood stepped it up in the second half, I always felt we were in control and I had a lovely view of Fosu completing his hat trick. Full marks for not going down when he could gone for a penalty.
    History was made this afternoon as we secured our first win at Highbury Stadium.
    With Reeves and Marshall coming in, we can be cautiously optimistic going forward.

Evening cables.
  • SDAddick said:

One more thing on Fosu, I'd like to see if there are statistics on this, but I'd imagine he's one of the most fouled players in the league, and to his credit he hasn't been deterred despite some of the kickings he's gotten, home to Bury especially.

Id be interested to see this too... If possible Id also like to see how many times he goes down as worried might have a diving habit - Probably got caught at one stage today which caused him to go down but felt it happened far too easily
  • SDAddick said:

One more thing on Fosu, I'd like to see if there are statistics on this, but I'd imagine he's one of the most fouled players in the league, and to his credit he hasn't been deterred despite some of the kickings he's gotten, home to Bury especially.

another reason why today was a very big one for him .. Referees who tend to be more lenient in the lower leagues (or perhaps they are just not so efficient) will now be very aware of Fosu and his skills and hopefully allow him greater protection and penalise his 'tormenters' ..
    Fosu is also a very brave player and it's often, ironically, his skill and trickery that lead to him getting fouled and kicked. As with Holmes at times he is just too quick and clever for his own 'good'
  • Well 20 points from 11 games, two under par thanks to Wigan in effect and/or only drawing with Bury!

I said I'd wait until 10 games in before formulating any opinions.

One thing I've observed is that everybody appears capable of beating everyone else and I don't see Shrewsbury sustaining their early pace and even Wigan might have a blip.

Given the above consistency of performance is going to be key this season and if we can keep our main players at the Club / injury free then we have a 50:50 chance of sneaking into the top 6 in my view.

As the Great Man used to say don't get too down in defeat or carried away with victory.

How did Marshall look pace wise after his injury given that pace is his main attribute?