Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood v Charlton 30/09/17 post-match views

Comments

• Options

Do Pearce and Solly get back in if fit? Prefer the exra height myself.

in a word NO .. we need the height that Pearce and Solly lack .. and the pace of Sarr .. and today Sarr's passing from the back was right on the money .. Konsa was impressive in attack and defence ..
    the longer the game went on the better Sarr looked .. as with Fosu, this game could be the making of him .. I really hope so ... we will see !
    I don’t think on one reasonable performance in League One against a poor Fleetwood I’d be so quick to dismiss Pearce , who imo is only behind Holmes and Magennis in importance .
    I think that's fair, yes, and we have a lot of games before he comes back.

But my critiques of Pearce have been pretty consistent. He is great at getting in the way of things. He cannot be bullied. He is a very vocal leader. But the reason he's playing in this division is because he's not quick and he's not good on the ball. And in our system, those weaknesses can really stand out. He'd walk into probably any other side in the division.

The thing that's just about impossible to gauge is his importance as a leader on the pitch. We're not a super vocal team, so having that can be really helpful. But, that said, sometimes when that player is missing it forces others to step up. It felt like BFG had a slightly different air about him today.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

in a word NO .. we need the height that Pearce and Solly lack .. and the pace of Sarr .. and today Sarr's passing from the back was right on the money .. Konsa was impressive in attack and defence ..
    the longer the game went on the better Sarr looked .. as with Fosu, this game could be the making of him .. I really hope so ... we will see !
    I don’t think on one reasonable performance in League One against a poor Fleetwood I’d be so quick to dismiss Pearce , who imo is only behind Holmes and Magennis in importance .

But my critiques of Pearce have been pretty consistent. He is great at getting in the way of things. He cannot be bullied. He is a very vocal leader. But the reason he's playing in this division is because he's not quick and he's not good on the ball. And in our system, those weaknesses can really stand out. He'd walk into probably any other side in the division.

The thing that's just about impossible to gauge is his importance as a leader on the pitch. We're not a super vocal team, so having that can be really helpful. But, that said, sometimes when that player is missing it forces others to step up. It felt like BFG had a slightly different air about him today.
    Fair point which brings me on to Solly....

Inspirational is an understatement- after meeting him and his laid back persona, I just have never seen him as a leader,

Jacko was, wasn't there today but BFG just seems right ...
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Away hat tricks:

Ricky Holmes at Shrewsbury

Hales at Cardiff.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Ben18 said:

Away hat tricks:

Bowyer at Selhurst Park v Wimbledon (LC).
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I imagine that playing alongside Pearce taught Bauer a lot about organisation and leadership. Indeed it was a show of his progression to make him captain today, rather than Holmes
  • Options
    BR3red said:

SDAddick said:

Fair point which brings me on to Solly....

Inspirational is an understatement- after meeting him and his laid back persona, I just have never seen him as a leader,

Jacko was, wasn't there today but BFG just seems right ...
    Yeah I was surprised that Solly kept it at the start of the season. I thought Robinson would give it to Pearce (after Jacko, obviously).

Different captains have different styles, and I don't think you need to be a Pearce type to be captain. And I think on his day, that calm, assured presence Solly brings absolutely has its merit. But there are times when it seems like the armband is made of lead for him. That might be coincidental, due to a couple years of up and down form--and to be fair, he's by no means the only one. But I don't think it will hurt him to truly have competition both for his place and for the armband.

But yeah, I'm with you, there was something that just felt right about BFG as skipper. I think he's been very, very good this year, despite our defensive woes. And while he's not the loudest, he seems like a strong competitor and an assured presence not dissimilar to Solly, but it felt like the armband made him stand just that little bit taller today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Its not often one of our players get a hat trick, especially away from home - so I was thinking back to who has got one over the years. I might have missed one (or two) but could think of:

Leaburn (at Ipswich)
    Mendona (at Norwich)
    Hunt (at Stockport and/or Norwich ?)
    BWP (at Chesterfield)

and all but Leaburns ended up with us getting promotion. Just saying.......

Lee Martin away at Peterborough I think
  • Options
    Watched on ifollow. Good win, some great individual performances as been noted by many. However, at the risk of sounding like a broken record: our back line sits too deep and therefore we relinquish the midfield by being unable to put pressure on other team's build up, resulting in our defending always looking panicked in and around the box.
    Doesn't and won't work against the slightly better teams.
    Lets hope there are not too many of them...
    But hey, we won !!!
  • Options
    Leaburn
  • Options
    Hunt- Stockport
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    uie2 said:

Its not often one of our players get a hat trick, especially away from home - so I was thinking back to who has got one over the years. I might have missed one (or two) but could think of:

Leaburn (at Ipswich)
    Mendona (at Norwich)
    BWP (at Chesterfield)

Lee Martin away at Peterborough I think
    Lol, so apart from the 8 or 9 times it hasn't happened, Fosu hat trick yesterday is a nailed on, copper bottomed, cast iron guarantee we'll be promoted this season.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

I'm so pleased with Sarr's improvement, sounded like he was immense today. The first network shocker to come good? Well done Thomas Driesen for playing FIFA 16.

Sarr read the game well from a defensive point of view but his passing sometimes is shocking. He booted one at Dasilva from about ten yards away and under hit a few across our back four which were nervous moments. He's an OK backup and played because Solly was out with Konsa on the right. If everyone's fit he's probably not even on the bench.
  • Options
    Both mendonca and hunt Norwich away?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BR3red said:

Every shirt u see in Beckenham is Palarse - haven't seen one now for about 3 weeks -- hahaha

I live in Yorkshire but every time I'm back in London there's too many of them about for my liking.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Hunt- Stockport

Didn't Hunt get a hat-trick home and away against them that season?
  • Options
    Lov your slightly off-piste write ups @Fanny Fanackapan

Thanks to everyone there whose posted post match comments, much appreciated
  • Options

Leaburn (at Ipswich)
    Mendona (at Norwich)
    BWP (at Chesterfield)

Hales at Cardiff first game of 84/85.
  • Options

Leaburn (at Ipswich)
    Mendona (at Norwich)
    BWP (at Chesterfield)

Bowyer at Selhurst v Wombles in League Cup
    Sordell at Wendies
    Callum at Blackpool?

Leaburn/Bowyer and Sordell/Callum were in successive away matches if I remember rightly, which is probably quite unusual.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Ben18 said:

Away hat tricks:

Mendonca at Wembley.

Just in case anybody has forgotten.

That was at home - we played in red, Sunderland in their change strip.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Hunt- Stockport

Didn't Hunt get a hat-trick home and away against them that season?

In the home game, he should have had four but missed a sitter just after completing the hat-trick.
  • Options

Leaburn (at Ipswich)
    Mendona (at Norwich)
    BWP (at Chesterfield)

Bowyer at Selhurst v Wombles in League Cup
    Sordell at Wendies
    Callum at Blackpool?

Leaburn/Bowyer and Sordell/Callum were in successive away matches if I remember rightly, which is probably quite unusual.
    Harriott's was the last game of the season. Think he set up a couple of Sordell's goals though and maybe scored himself in another game around the same time.
  • Options
    Lisbie against Liverpool. Or did I just dream that one?