Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fleetwood v Charlton 30/09/17 post-match views

Comments

• Has anyone mentioned Hunt or Mendonca?
  • Darren Bent at Sunderland
  • edited October 2017
    Error
  • dickplumb said:

Lisbie against Liverpool. Or did I just dream that one?

Original question was about away hat tricks.

At home Burton got one v Norwich and Magennis last season (I forget who we were played?).
  • Hopefully Fosu has shut up the moaners now!

Great all round display, Konsa and Nabby at the back were great. Reeves looked decent when he came on.

JFC is turning out to be a little gem. Very pleased and onwards we march.
  • PWR again as just home from oop north.

What a contrast to Tuesday's trip to Warsaw !

Despite the closed Northern Line threatening to disrupt the Fanackapans' plans en route to Euston, the intrepid travellers managed to meet up with their 2 trusty sidekicks on time.

Due to a mere 2 hour journey to Preston, an early picnic brunch was necessitated with cold meats, salad, coleslaw, fresh brown rolls, pickle & grapes accompanied by a lively bottle of white courtesy of our resident wine expert. However, our pal had overestimated and purchased 2 bottles so, what to do with the 2nd during the match was the problem ....

We asked our lovely taxi driver if he would be collecting us for the return journey after the game but he wasn't able to confirm so leaving said bottle in his boot for the duration wasn't an option.

But, employing some much needed lateral thinking, a well known phrase or saying was brought to mind and hence a bottle in the hand was worth one in the bush....with a nice, bushy shrub in the adjoining park providing a perfect hiding place. Fortunately, the local pooches had stayed well clear !

With that minor problem solved, and following a swift " half " in the delightful Supporters' Bar, it was time for the main event. And we were not disappointed.

After a scrappy 10 minutes or so, the lads began to settle & play some lovely football with their reward coming via young Tariqe. The visiting faithful celebrated loudly whilst those of us present on Tuesday evening crossed our fingers that another swift response wouldn't follow....but we waited just a further 12 minutes this time. The ball was lost somewhat carelessly and after a couple more touches, the Reds were level.

But this time, our goal scorer had other ideas, & aided & abetted by his hard working team mates, put us back in the lead with half time looming. And, despite several swift counter attacks by the home side which put us under some pressure & shredded a few nails in the away end, the better team on the day ground down the plucky Trawlermen and Tariqe deservedly travelled home with the match ball. No prizes for naming our MOM today !

This was a gritty performance from our lads with plaudits deserved by every single player so it would be foolhardy to single out anyone but I shall... Naby was a colossus at the back & it was so good to see both him & the elegant Ezri given their chance to show what they can do. They certainly grabbed their opportunity with both hands/feet. Rickeee worked his socks off as always, as did Big Josh and young Jay is SOME player ! Whilst not wishing to criticise a good overall performance, at times I was tempted to give our skilful Algerian midfielder a new nickname - Kash Back ....I'll leave you to decide why.

So, a great day out with great company and to complete the hat trick, a great victory.

Let's hope we can continue in the same vein after the dratted international Break !

What about the important question ... was the wine still there?
  • Its not often one of our players get a hat trick, especially away from home - so I was thinking back to who has got one over the years. I might have missed one (or two) but could think of:

Leaburn (at Ipswich)
    Mendona (at Norwich)
    Hunt (at Stockport and/or Norwich ?)
    BWP (at Chesterfield)

and all but Leaburns ended up with us getting promotion. Just saying.......

28th March 1914, London League. Tufnell Park 0 Charlton Athletic 7 (Johnny Mitchell 4, Peter Ladd, Albert 'Mosky' Mills, Eddie Marshall). Apparently the Marshall goal was a peach: he won the ball on on his own goal line ran most of the length of the pitch beating seven players in the process, and produced a shot from thirty yards out that 'burst the net'*. The ball had to be retrieved from a further 40 yards back.

*Sounds like either there's some hyperbole going on or the net wasn't that great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to game, looked a good side today and one of fleetwood staff said we were best side he had seen them play. On this form we will be up there but not completely faultless, 2nd half we looked alot more comfortable and seemed to take control.

A few moments shakey early on and before the first goal we were playing with not enough tempo and too much going back with no impetus. Alot of players seem they should be too good for this level if we can keep the consistency.

Fosu had a stormer, before he got 2nd/3rd i was a bit sceptical off the ball and felt he was a bit lightweight... but with the ball he is so skilful and composed for the 3rd goal which was very impressive under pressure and just took his time, great goal!

Amos looks like he is lacking confidence, when our fans got on his back early seemed to get to him and nearly let in a soft goal. Made some good saves but needs a bit of support from the fans he is clearly a good keeper but needs to get a bit of confidence.

Special mention for reeves he will be as important as holmes, wanted the ball and looks very good on the ball. Him and holmes in the same side is going to be sexual!

Went to game, looked a good side today and one of fleetwood staff said we were best side he had seen them play. On this form we will be up there but not completely faultless, 2nd half we looked alot more comfortable and seemed to take control.

A few moments shakey early on and before the first goal we were playing with not enough tempo and too much going back with no impetus. Alot of players seem they should be too good for this level if we can keep the consistency.

Fosu had a stormer, before he got 2nd/3rd i was a bit sceptical off the ball and felt he was a bit lightweight... but with the ball he is so skilful and composed for the 3rd goal which was very impressive under pressure and just took his time, great goal!

Amos looks like he is lacking confidence, when our fans got on his back early seemed to get to him and nearly let in a soft goal. Made some good saves but needs a bit of support from the fans he is clearly a good keeper but needs to get a bit of confidence.

Special mention for reeves he will be as important as holmes, wanted the ball and looks very good on the ball. Him and holmes in the same side is going to be sexual!

Sexual lol!
  • I think Fosu having a blinder was around the corner. He has been doing certain things right and certain things wrong and yesterday everything seem to fall into place with his personal game! Glad Sarr looks like he has improved, imagine the counter attacks he can set up with his range of passing!
    Lastly, Solly i feel could do with a spell on the side lines to give Konsa the chance to shine. Solly has been off the boil for a while now so it's only fair someone else gets a chance to shine.
  • Fosu is a very skilful player and if his game continues to improve even RD will take notice. The way he finished the third when he could have gone down was very impressive.

Still hard to know what the team are capable of and I'm pleased that Marshall and Reeves are back.

Holmes, Fosu and Josh are all getting goals which is a good sign and hopefully we'll tighten up at the back.
  • Went to game, looked a good side today and one of fleetwood staff said we were best side he had seen them play. On this form we will be up there but not completely faultless, 2nd half we looked alot more comfortable and seemed to take control.

Just before half time, Robinson was shouting out a load of instructions to Amos while play was down the other end, no idea whether it was encouragement, a bollocking or tactics!
  • Scoham said:

dickplumb said:

Lisbie against Liverpool. Or did I just dream that one?

Original question was about away hat tricks.

At home Burton got one v Norwich and Magennis last season (I forget who we were played?).
    Bristol Rovers.
  • I'm so pleased with Sarr's improvement, sounded like he was immense today. The first network shocker to come good? Well done Thomas Driesen for playing FIFA 16.

Sarr read the game well from a defensive point of view but his passing sometimes is shocking. He booted one at Dasilva from about ten yards away and under hit a few across our back four which were nervous moments. He's an OK backup and played because Solly was out with Konsa on the right. If everyone's fit he's probably not even on the bench.
    Really? I've read some very positive comments about his performance (many saying he'd have been MotM were it not for Fosu). He certainly adds physical presence to the back four, something we've desperately needed this season (and last).
    Even if you rated him behind Pearce and Bauer I can't see how he wouldn't be on the bench. Personally I'd stick to this back four now, or replace Bauer with Pearce when he's fit again.
  • edited October 2017
    JamesSeed said:

I'm so pleased with Sarr's improvement, sounded like he was immense today. The first network shocker to come good? Well done Thomas Driesen for playing FIFA 16.

Sarr read the game well from a defensive point of view but his passing sometimes is shocking. He booted one at Dasilva from about ten yards away and under hit a few across our back four which were nervous moments. He's an OK backup and played because Solly was out with Konsa on the right. If everyone's fit he's probably not even on the bench.
    Really? I've read some very positive comments about his performance (many saying he'd have been MotM were it not for Fosu). He certainly adds physical presence to the back four, something we've desperately needed this season (and last).
    Even if you rated him behind Pearce and Bauer I can't see how he wouldn't be on the bench. Personally I'd stick to this back four now, or replace Bauer with Pearce when he's fit again.
    Not too sure about two left footers in Sarr and Pearce instead of Bauer, James. Balance is the key word so it's either Sarr or Pearce. With 10 games? to really stake a claim, injury permitting, if Sarr continues with performances like yesterday it'll be for Pearce to win his place back unless we go three at the back...........now I'm sure I've suggested that before as a plan B :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

JamesSeed said:

I'm so pleased with Sarr's improvement, sounded like he was immense today. The first network shocker to come good? Well done Thomas Driesen for playing FIFA 16.

Not too sure about two left footers in Sarr and Pearce instead of Bauer, James. Balance is the key word so it's either Sarr or Pearce. With 10 games? to really stake a claim, injury permitting, if Sarr continues with performances like yesterday it'll be for Pearce to win his place back unless we go three at the back...........now I'm sure I've suggested that before as a plan B :wink:
    I know I have, against big aggressive teams. Or just to have a plan B to stop us being so predictable.

I take your point about balance - two left footers would be tricky, although teams often play two right footers.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    uie2 said:

Its not often one of our players get a hat trick, especially away from home - so I was thinking back to who has got one over the years. I might have missed one (or two) but could think of:

Leaburn (at Ipswich)
    Mendona (at Norwich)
    BWP (at Chesterfield)

Lee Martin away at Peterborough I think
    He only got two that day (assuming you mean the 5-1 win there).
  • @Dippenhall had a very good point about JFC being undervalued, and I agree. Bringing this discussion over from the player marks thread.

Easy to not notice Foster Caskey but running and closing down space is graft that needs to be done, plus he is a threat if he gets a sniff at goal. Marks probably undervalue his contribution.

Seconded. He is very technically skilled and, like Kashi, he makes a lot of things in possession look easy. But those two are the ones who usually get the ball down and start the play, then break up attacks as they come the other way.

Also, I'll be curious to see his disallowed goal again as it looked tight but the camera angle on the stream was not a good one to judge offisdes by.

Somebody mentioned I think on the post-match thread that Sarr might be the only player in our team with the potential to be a Premier League player. I disagree as I think DaSilva and Konsa both have that potential and are still teenagers, but I think JFC also has that level of ability. His touch and vision and range of passing are all excellent, and he's gotten much better with his workrate, and his consistency. He's always had a knack for getting into passing lanes, but this year he's also been better about getting a foot it and putting pressure on the ball. Plus he's clearly looking to add goals, which would be a big boon for him.

He's an England U21 international. He played in the Championship for Brighton. He seemed to have lost his way a bit and bounced around on loan, but coming to this division and have a full pre-season with us, he's really starting to find himself again.
  • Predicted a 4-1 loss and very happy to be proved wrong, we can even enjoy a win now with something coming from that Belgian ponces mouth, Karl will be allowed some pocket money if we're still in the promotion race, Roland really is a sack of shit that needs dumping, anyway up the addicks as always anti Roland forever charlton.
  • uie2 said:

Its not often one of our players get a hat trick, especially away from home - so I was thinking back to who has got one over the years. I might have missed one (or two) but could think of:

Leaburn (at Ipswich)
    Mendona (at Norwich)
    BWP (at Chesterfield)

Lee Martin away at Peterborough I think
    He only got two that day (assuming you mean the 5-1 win there).
    he did just get two .. but deserved 6 for the effort he put in that day .. he was everywhere .. never appreciated for the decent player that he was .. ended up at Millwall of course ((:<)
  • wmcf123 said:

Hunt- Stockport

Didn't Hunt get a hat-trick home and away against them that season?

Programmes at Fleetwood are just £1, most everywhere else they are £3 .. also free team sheets were handed out in the social club .. nice friendly club

Totally agree with you.
    Even the stewards were good.i was sitting in the front row and when we attacked or scored and everyone jumped up the stewards just let us get on with it instead of acting like jobworth idiots.
    A great little friendly football club.

but a gate (can't say crowd) of 3,009 .. how do they survive ? (apart from having a rich benefactor)
  • SDAddick said:

@Dippenhall had a very good point about JFC being undervalued, and I agree. Bringing this discussion over from the player marks thread.

Easy to not notice Foster Caskey but running and closing down space is graft that needs to be done, plus he is a threat if he gets a sniff at goal. Marks probably undervalue his contribution.

Seconded. He is very technically skilled and, like Kashi, he makes a lot of things in possession look easy. But those two are the ones who usually get the ball down and start the play, then break up attacks as they come the other way.

Also, I'll be curious to see his disallowed goal again as it looked tight but the camera angle on the stream was not a good one to judge offisdes by.

Somebody mentioned I think on the post-match thread that Sarr might be the only player in our team with the potential to be a Premier League player. I disagree as I think DaSilva and Konsa both have that potential and are still teenagers, but I think JFC also has that level of ability. His touch and vision and range of passing are all excellent, and he's gotten much better with his workrate, and his consistency. He's always had a knack for getting into passing lanes, but this year he's also been better about getting a foot it and putting pressure on the ball. Plus he's clearly looking to add goals, which would be a big boon for him.

He's an England U21 international. He played in the Championship for Brighton. He seemed to have lost his way a bit and bounced around on loan, but coming to this division and have a full pre-season with us, he's really starting to find himself again.
    I thought JFC was looking the part at the end of last season, he was highly rated when younger, potentially we might have a real steal.

Indeed most of KR's permanent signings have been very good, JFC, Fosu, Clarke have all done well. Reeves and Marshall have good pedigree at this level, Page is the one with something to prove