Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood v Charlton 30/09/17 post-match views

Comments

• Options

wmcf123 said:

Hunt- Stockport

Didn't Hunt get a hat-trick home and away against them that season?

Programmes at Fleetwood are just £1, most everywhere else they are £3 .. also free team sheets were handed out in the social club .. nice friendly club

Totally agree with you.
    Even the stewards were good.i was sitting in the front row and when we attacked or scored and everyone jumped up the stewards just let us get on with it instead of acting like jobworth idiots.
    A great little friendly football club.
    That’s because their chairman is a proper football fan and old school England fan

Yep
  • Options
    3 defeats this season 2 against the bottom and second bottom sides.why?
  • Options
    derek hales at cardiff .he bought me and vince a pint in the players bar with the match ball under his arm.happy days
  • Options
    Just got home after a great weekend in Blackpool, Best iv'e seen us play for ages, although the first 10 mins was a bit scrappy with too much side and back passing, once we scored we played a bit more direct which possibly may have surprised Fleetwood, special mention to Fosu who was/is probably the man to be rested for Marshall or Reeves, maybe he could be Magennis's strike partner if needed. With a bit more consistency feel we have a top two team here, one other thing is Robinson doesn't give them a minutes rest which is a good thing.
  • Options
    timken said:

we always do that. anyone else remember deano smashing one into his own net to let swindon beat us when we killed div 1 in 99/00?
  • Options

stonemuse said:

PWR again as just home from oop north.

What a contrast to Tuesday's trip to Warsaw !

Despite the closed Northern Line threatening to disrupt the Fanackapans' plans en route to Euston, the intrepid travellers managed to meet up with their 2 trusty sidekicks on time.

Due to a mere 2 hour journey to Preston, an early picnic brunch was necessitated with cold meats, salad, coleslaw, fresh brown rolls, pickle & grapes accompanied by a lively bottle of white courtesy of our resident wine expert. However, our pal had overestimated and purchased 2 bottles so, what to do with the 2nd during the match was the problem ....

We asked our lovely taxi driver if he would be collecting us for the return journey after the game but he wasn't able to confirm so leaving said bottle in his boot for the duration wasn't an option.

But, employing some much needed lateral thinking, a well known phrase or saying was brought to mind and hence a bottle in the hand was worth one in the bush....with a nice, bushy shrub in the adjoining park providing a perfect hiding place. Fortunately, the local pooches had stayed well clear !

With that minor problem solved, and following a swift " half " in the delightful Supporters' Bar, it was time for the main event. And we were not disappointed.

After a scrappy 10 minutes or so, the lads began to settle & play some lovely football with their reward coming via young Tariqe. The visiting faithful celebrated loudly whilst those of us present on Tuesday evening crossed our fingers that another swift response wouldn't follow....but we waited just a further 12 minutes this time. The ball was lost somewhat carelessly and after a couple more touches, the Reds were level.

But this time, our goal scorer had other ideas, & aided & abetted by his hard working team mates, put us back in the lead with half time looming. And, despite several swift counter attacks by the home side which put us under some pressure & shredded a few nails in the away end, the better team on the day ground down the plucky Trawlermen and Tariqe deservedly travelled home with the match ball. No prizes for naming our MOM today !

This was a gritty performance from our lads with plaudits deserved by every single player so it would be foolhardy to single out anyone but I shall... Naby was a colossus at the back & it was so good to see both him & the elegant Ezri given their chance to show what they can do. They certainly grabbed their opportunity with both hands/feet. Rickeee worked his socks off as always, as did Big Josh and young Jay is SOME player ! Whilst not wishing to criticise a good overall performance, at times I was tempted to give our skilful Algerian midfielder a new nickname - Kash Back ....I'll leave you to decide why.

So, a great day out with great company and to complete the hat trick, a great victory.

Let's hope we can continue in the same vein after the dratted international Break !

What about the important question ... was the wine still there?
    It was indeed, stoney.

Mind you, Mr F got a few funny looks from the locals as he disappeared into the bushes to retrieve it.
    'Thou are Southern softys' ;-)
  • Options
    timken said:

It's asking a lot to expect consistency in the first 10 league games from a squad with a number of new arrivals including Kashi and Naby who didn't figure last term.
  • Options
    timken said:

derek hales at cardiff .he bought me and vince a pint in the players bar with the match ball under his arm.happy days

Wonderful. Dear old Vince.....

B-Mob also performed a Hawaii 5 O sitting down rowing thing on the terrace (complete with theme tune). That would get frowned upon now but it got a laugh from most of us back in 1984.

Amazing start to the season and continued for a few weeks but then we gave Hales away to Gillingham (and not even a hint of explanation or protest!!!!) and it all came crashing down into a season of fuck all .......apart from the Spurs FA Cup game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    timken said:

I was at both Plymouth & Gillingham. Had a couple of chances to score before they did in both games but on both occasions the attacks / goalmouth action was down the other end so hard to judge whether we should have scored and whether is was bad finishing or good goalkeeping. (Josh's chance at Plymouth would have gone in 9 times out of 10 & JFC had an effort headed off the line)

However, in both games once we conceded we could have played all night & not scored. Both teams then defended for their lives & got men behind the ball - we had plenty of possession but couldn't get past or behind them. We constantly passed along their box, sideways, backwards & sideways again until Holmes, Clarke or Fosu got impatient and tried crossing or chipping it into the box to no avail. I see this becoming a common theme unless we score first & so then get the opposition coming at us & then we can get behind them (as per Dodoo's goal at Oldham, or Fosu's 3rd yesterday)......or we revert to plan B (which will never happen)

So, if we score first we will win 90% of those games - if we concede first we will lose 90% of those games.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

3-1 and just the sort of performance we needed to get our season back on track.

Really pleased for Fosu, and bad luck to my Reading season ticket holder mate Pete, who marched into the office some months ago, furious that we'd signed him. As if it was my fault!
    Fortunately I retired yesterday, so won't have to see him again, until next season, if we're promoted.
    Sarr sounded immense, and in my opinion should now be first choice to play alongside Pearce when fit. I think he'll provide the attacking threat that Bauer does from corners etc.

And what a bonus having Marshall and Reeves available. Marshall deserves immense praise for getting himself fit about 6 weeks ahead of schedule. Reeves less so, perhaps.

I have changed my profile picture to reflect new mood of optimism that must be sweeping through south east London ;-)
    Picture shows Jimmy and my mum btw.

Now I've retired, work starts in earnest on 'the book'.

Good luck for your efforts to become an author.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

@Dippenhall had a very good point about JFC being undervalued, and I agree. Bringing this discussion over from the player marks thread.

Easy to not notice Foster Caskey but running and closing down space is graft that needs to be done, plus he is a threat if he gets a sniff at goal. Marks probably undervalue his contribution.

Seconded. He is very technically skilled and, like Kashi, he makes a lot of things in possession look easy. But those two are the ones who usually get the ball down and start the play, then break up attacks as they come the other way.

Also, I'll be curious to see his disallowed goal again as it looked tight but the camera angle on the stream was not a good one to judge offisdes by.

Somebody mentioned I think on the post-match thread that Sarr might be the only player in our team with the potential to be a Premier League player. I disagree as I think DaSilva and Konsa both have that potential and are still teenagers, but I think JFC also has that level of ability. His touch and vision and range of passing are all excellent, and he's gotten much better with his workrate, and his consistency. He's always had a knack for getting into passing lanes, but this year he's also been better about getting a foot it and putting pressure on the ball. Plus he's clearly looking to add goals, which would be a big boon for him.

He's an England U21 international. He played in the Championship for Brighton. He seemed to have lost his way a bit and bounced around on loan, but coming to this division and have a full pre-season with us, he's really starting to find himself again.
    For me, JFC looks at better player at this level for us than Dale Stephens did and Stephens is now playing Premier League football. Not sure exactly how they compare age wise, but I think JFC would be about the same age as Stephens was when we won this division, which perhaps gives a hint at his potential. JFC's career seemed to have stalled a little and he took a while to get going with us, but he has been very good this season, imo, and we are starting to see some hints at why he has played for England at every level below the senior team.

I particularly like his work rate, which for me is not always about charging relentlessly around the pitch like a Kishishev, for example, but for a more creative midfielder it should be about always being in support of play and looking to find space to receive a pass and then taking responsibility for advancing the play, as well as doing you defensive duties and that is very much what JFC has been doing this season.
  • Options

timken said:

I was at both Plymouth & Gillingham. Had a couple of chances to score before they did in both games but on both occasions the attacks / goalmouth action was down the other end so hard to judge whether we should have scored and whether is was bad finishing or good goalkeeping. (Josh's chance at Plymouth would have gone in 9 times out of 10 & JFC had an effort headed off the line)

However, in both games once we conceded we could have played all night & not scored. Both teams then defended for their lives & got men behind the ball - we had plenty of possession but couldn't get past or behind them. We constantly passed along their box, sideways, backwards & sideways again until Holmes, Clarke or Fosu got impatient and tried crossing or chipping it into the box to no avail. I see this becoming a common theme unless we score first & so then get the opposition coming at us & then we can get behind them (as per Dodoo's goal at Oldham, or Fosu's 3rd yesterday)......or we revert to plan B (which will never happen)

So, if we score first we will win 90% of those games - if we concede first we will lose 90% of those games.
    Against teams that sit deep, we need a predatory striker
  • Options
    Watched (most of) the game on the stream. Not got much to add that hasn't been said but what a good signing Fosu is looking.

We picked out a player that wasn't playing regularly in the division below.

He's now playing every game, something he hadn't yet done in his career. He couldn't have done that without being fit enough.

He surely came in as a squad player but has had to start in a team where expectations are high.

There were times when he could have been dropped with Aribo or KAG taking his place but KR has stuck with him and been rewarded for that. That may change once Marshall and Reeves are ready to start games but that's the point in having a squad.

Credit to everyone involved in bringing him in, helping him adapt and of course the player himself.

Five goals and one assist in eleven games is a good start especially when considering all the above.

I've just checked and he only signed a two year deal. For me Reading have made a mistake in letting him go, he's a better prospect longer term than Harriott who must have been ahead of him for them.

It's very early but we shouldn't wait too long before looking to extend his contract.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Lisbie against Liverpool. Or did I just dream that one?

'Twas at home, the OP was about away hat-tricks.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

timken said:

we always do that. anyone else remember deano smashing one into his own net to let swindon beat us when we killed div 1 in 99/00?
    Lost 0-1 to a team that didn't have a shot on target. They may well have not even had a shot. The ball Deano knocked in was a cross.
  • Options
    Vinnie V. said:

Most of us had given up on Sarr as being another awful signing. He could so easily have been this season's scape goat. Over to you lot who go far more regularly than I. Give him a chant. Boost his confidence and we may well have a hell of a player on our books.

Thought we had a chant?

Oh no, thats one about Katherine. My mistake.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    From the O.S:

The 21-year-old, who plays behind the striker, has signed a two year-deal and joins the Addicks for an undisclosed fee having recently been offered a new contract by the Royals.

“He’s great behind the striker and can play off one of the wings if needed. Tariqe is definitely one for the future. We’re building a squad of hungry players that want to play for the club. He wants to be here and that’s important for us.”

I definitely read that as he was brought in as a squad player, maybe an off the bench option. However I am delighted that he's always been known to be the player that is beginning to show.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Watched (most of) the game on the stream. Not got much to add that hasn't been said but what a good signing Fosu is looking.

He's now playing every game, something he hadn't yet done in his career. He couldn't have done that without being fit enough.

He surely came in as a squad player but has had to start in a team where expectations are high.

There were times when he could have been dropped with Aribo or KAG taking his place but KR has stuck with him and been rewarded for that. That may change once Marshall and Reeves are ready to start games but that's the point in having a squad.

Credit to everyone involved in bringing him in, helping him adapt and of course the player himself.

Five goals and one assist in eleven games is a good start especially when considering all the above.

I've just checked and he only signed a two year deal. For me Reading have made a mistake in letting him go, he's a better prospect longer term than Harriott who must have been ahead of him for them.

It's very early but we shouldn't wait too long before looking to extend his contract.

Excellent analysis as ever.

Only thing I'd say is that I think you mean division above rather than below re Fosu.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Only thing I'd say is that I think you mean division above rather than below re Fosu.
    He was on loan to Colchester...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said he wasnt playing often in a Division below though (When he was playing every week for Colchester) so guessing he meant to say he wasnt playing often in a Division above as he rarely appeared for Reading
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    What is going to be important is how we do against big physical spoiling teams. Wigan did that supremely well when they came to the Valley. Fleetwood were obviouslyconfident having beaten Bradford 3-0 away in midweek and were possibly more intent on imposing their game on us.

What you need to do is foul and frustrate our midfield - block off the passing options and kick seven lumps out of Holmes. How we face up to that challenge going forwards is going to define our season. Fortunately, I would say only a small number of sides can do thi sas effectively as Wigan did.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

timken said:

Yes, we were winning every game and had broken our record and we lost 1-0 to the weakest team in the division.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said he wasnt playing often in a Division below though (When he was playing every week for Colchester) so guessing he meant to say he wasnt playing often in a Division above as he rarely appeared for Reading
    Dont think he was starting for Col u every week.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Dazzler21 said:

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Dont think he was starting for Col u every week.
    Played 34-games for Colchester last season (albeit with 19 of those from the bench...

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=77607&season_id=149
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    well if he started only 15 games it says a lot about his progress. Like I said when I created this thread, whoever was responsible for this bit of business deserve the upmost praise.