Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fleetwood v Charlton 30/09/17 post-match views

Comments

• edited October 2017
    So what did we learn from Saturday?

1) A R/L combo at CB is better than a guy playing on wrong side.
    2) A tall and athletic RB is probably better than our talasmanic captain in a physical league where we are short (irony) in other areas.
    3) The two defensive changes gave us more pace at the back, playing higher up the field and compliment our passing style.
    4) Sarr has had a Luiz-like return, cutting out errors so far and certainly the best ball playing CH in this league, the one above and would put a few Prem cloggers to shame.
    5) Does KR have the nerve to change a sucessful line-up other than rotating the three given injury returns?
  • Rossler said post match that we were technically the best team in the division. I'd agree with that but we need to adapt against the spoilers! Spoiling and negating more skillful sides is a valid and important part of football. Resilience to this is something we need to develop and if refs protected Holmes a bit from the ridiculous treatment he gets, it might help.

Absolutely right, you can get a long way in this league with 6' 6" cloggers at both ends of the pitch and mediocrity in between. Everyone in football will agree that it's far easier to stop a team playing football than match them.

The ref on Saturday allowed Josh to be manhandled, grabbed and pushed at will, wanted Josh to give some back but he isn't that sort of no 9, he just kept appealing to the ref.
  • Bloody hell...
    'Sarr has had a Luiz-like return, cutting out errors so far and certainly the best ball playing CH in this league, the one above and would put a few Prem cloggers to shame'

Is this the same Sarr i saw play at Bristol City who looked like a strong fart would knock him over, and thought every time he ran that he was going to fall arse over tit ?
  • Bloody hell...
    'Sarr has had a Luiz-like return, cutting out errors so far and certainly the best ball playing CH in this league, the one above and would put a few Prem cloggers to shame'

Is this the same Sarr i saw play at Bristol City who looked like a strong fart would knock him over, and thought every time he ran that he was going to fall arse over tit ?

Yes it is. He showed positive signs in pre-season. I think he always will have a mistake in him, but is now an asset to the team. At this level at least.
    Just think if we'd had kept two of the other "outcasts" (Igor & Ceballos) no need to have brought in Reeves & would have had another striking option.
  • edited October 2017

Leuth said:

timken said:

3 defeats this season 2 against the bottom and second bottom sides.why?

we always do that. anyone else remember deano smashing one into his own net to let swindon beat us when we killed div 1 in 99/00?
    Lost 0-1 to a team that didn't have a shot on target. They may well have not even had a shot. The ball Deano knocked in was a cross.
    Off his elbow if I remember. Wasn't this the match where if we had won we would've broken a league record with 13 wins in a row?
  • I'm so pleased with Sarr's improvement, sounded like he was immense today. The first network shocker to come good? Well done Thomas Driesen for playing FIFA 16.

Sarr read the game well from a defensive point of view but his passing sometimes is shocking. He booted one at Dasilva from about ten yards away and under hit a few across our back four which were nervous moments. He's an OK backup and played because Solly was out with Konsa on the right. If everyone's fit he's probably not even on the bench.
    Ridiculous, it's weird how everyone else saw that Sarr was excellent.
  • SDAddick said:

BR3red said:

SDAddick said:

Do Pearce and Solly get back in if fit? Prefer the exra height myself.

in a word NO .. we need the height that Pearce and Solly lack .. and the pace of Sarr .. and today Sarr's passing from the back was right on the money .. Konsa was impressive in attack and defence ..
    the longer the game went on the better Sarr looked .. as with Fosu, this game could be the making of him .. I really hope so ... we will see !
    I don’t think on one reasonable performance in League One against a poor Fleetwood I’d be so quick to dismiss Pearce , who imo is only behind Holmes and Magennis in importance .
    I think that's fair, yes, and we have a lot of games before he comes back.

But my critiques of Pearce have been pretty consistent. He is great at getting in the way of things. He cannot be bullied. He is a very vocal leader. But the reason he's playing in this division is because he's not quick and he's not good on the ball. And in our system, those weaknesses can really stand out. He'd walk into probably any other side in the division.

The thing that's just about impossible to gauge is his importance as a leader on the pitch. We're not a super vocal team, so having that can be really helpful. But, that said, sometimes when that player is missing it forces others to step up. It felt like BFG had a slightly different air about him today.
    Fair point which brings me on to Solly....

Inspirational is an understatement- after meeting him and his laid back persona, I just have never seen him as a leader,

Jacko was, wasn't there today but BFG just seems right ...
    Yeah I was surprised that Solly kept it at the start of the season. I thought Robinson would give it to Pearce (after Jacko, obviously).

Different captains have different styles, and I don't think you need to be a Pearce type to be captain. And I think on his day, that calm, assured presence Solly brings absolutely has its merit. But there are times when it seems like the armband is made of lead for him. That might be coincidental, due to a couple years of up and down form--and to be fair, he's by no means the only one. But I don't think it will hurt him to truly have competition both for his place and for the armband.

But yeah, I'm with you, there was something that just felt right about BFG as skipper. I think he's been very, very good this year, despite our defensive woes. And while he's not the loudest, he seems like a strong competitor and an assured presence not dissimilar to Solly, but it felt like the armband made him stand just that little bit taller today.
    Just waking up with a warm feeling in Fleetwood.

Wet the bed ?
  • The bedrock central midfield of JFC, Kashi and Clarke have been an enormous step forward from last season, depending on just them is risky and Reeves getting fit and Aribo being on hand is a big comfort.
    What I like about the ascendent group at the moment, is that if one isn't quite on it, another one helps, and they all know their responsibilities. This frees up Holmes and Fosu to try to unlock teams.
    The central midfield may not be spectacular, and there will be mis placed passes and losing the ball, but overall it is a key part of our play.
    Worthy pro that Crofts is, he wouldn't really even be about seventh choice this season, yet last season he played all the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloody hell...

Yes, Sarr was excellent and he was at Crawley as well. A remarkable transformation, let's hope it's permanent.
  • Bloody hell...

Yes it is. He showed positive signs in pre-season. I think he always will have a mistake in him, but is now an asset to the team. At this level at least.
    Just think if we'd had kept two of the other "outcasts" (Igor & Ceballos) no need to have brought in Reeves & would have had another striking option.
    Maybe they didn't want to be here and maybe Reeves is better than Ceballos.

Bloody hell...

Must be my memory but Igor always seemed to be a bit injury prone and didn't actually score that many goals when he was playing & a bit early to be dismissing tge contribution that Reeves might bring. KR's signings seem to be pretty impressive so far...OK, maybe not Doodoo, but who knows maybe he will start scoring goals...
  • Sounded like Town totally dominated the game but Charlton nicked the win, reading that report.

But then they are writing for the local Fleetwood readership.

• edited October 2017
    Oggy Red said:

Bloody hell...

Must be my memory but Igor always seemed to be a bit injury prone and didn't actually score that many goals when he was playing ....
    Igor started the season like a house on fire scoring goals for fun, until he picked up that achilles injury in October - and was forced to continue playing with it, much to the deterioration of his performances.

Cue a long spell out and then rushed back before he was properly recovered.
    It was obvious he was still suffering from the injury and not ready - but he was played nevertheless.

I'd call that mis-managed, rather than injury prone.
    No wonder he never wanted to play for Charlton again - they nearly wrecked his career.

I think there are more instances of this - I won't go into the details, but I know the agent of another of our former players who was adamant his injury was totally mismanaged by the club. It is also interesting that Kashi seemed to do his own thing in terms of recovery - it seems a bit strange that the club let him, but it seems to have paid off.
  • Oggy Red said:

Bloody hell...

Must be my memory but Igor always seemed to be a bit injury prone and didn't actually score that many goals when he was playing ....
    Igor started the season like a house on fire scoring goals for fun, until he picked up that achilles injury in October - and was forced to continue playing with it, much to the deterioration of his performances.

Cue a long spell out and then rushed back before he was properly recovered.
    It was obvious he was still suffering from the injury and not ready - but he was played nevertheless.

I'd call that mis-managed, rather than injury prone.
    No wonder he never wanted to play for Charlton again - they nearly wrecked his career.

Really?
  • Bloody hell...

How do you know he’ll always have mistakes in him?
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Bloody hell...

Because he's human?
  • Elements of our early play that KR needs to address:-
    1. As a smallish side we tend to get bullied
    2. Playing a pressing game only works if the whole side participtes. If the defence sit deep, gaps will be exploited.
    3. If 4-2-3-1 isn't working there needs to be a plan B. Bringing on a defender Konza for an attacking midfielder is not going to improve things. Don't blame the players for your lack of tactical nous.
    4. One senior striker, however the circumstances, is not a recipe for promotion.
  • JamesSeed said:

Bloody hell...

He doesn't know that's why he said "think", it's just his oplnlon that's what this site is all about.
  • edited October 2017

Elements of our early play that KR needs to address:-
    2. Playing a pressing game only works if the whole side participtes. If the defence sit deep, gaps will be exploited.
    3. If 4-2-3-1 isn't working there needs to be a plan B. Bringing on a defender Konza for an attacking midfielder is not going to improve things. Don't blame the players for your lack of tactical nous.
    4. One senior striker, however the circumstances, is not a recipe for promotion.

I agree that these are all genuine handicaps. The best hope is that we are in a decent position when the next window opens. Robinson has suggested we will have a go at it if we are and we need to - no excuses - if ultimately we are going to be successful.
  • I think having a go at it will mean selling Konsa and using a small percentage of the money on a forward.
  • Elements of our early play that KR needs to address:-

I agree that these are all genuine handicaps. The best hope is that we are in a decent position when the next window opens. Robinson has suggested we will have a go at it if we are and we need to - no excuses - if ultimately we are going to be successful.
    They say that every year and they get it wrong every year. If you're building a team, you do it in the summer.

Don't scrimp and half-arse the job and then hope to scrape by with some late additions in January.

• 3. If 4-2-3-1 isn't working there needs to be a plan B. Bringing on a defender Konza for an attacking midfielder is not going to improve things. Don't blame the players for your lack of tactical nous.

But that's not what Robinson has been saying recently.

Specifically, in the Bury post-match interview he said that he changed the formation to 4-3-3, by bringing Konsa into CM - thus pushing the 2 wide men forward to make 3 in the front line.

Evidently there is a Plan B.

• Missed It said:

They say that every year and they get it wrong every year. If you're building a team, you do it in the summer.

Don't scrimp and half-arse the job and then hope to scrape by with some late additions in January.
    I totally agree and we haven't had a decent window yet so I won't be holding my breath. I fully expect them to weaken us rather than strengthen us, but that is what Robinson said so he must have been told it.
  • Missed It said:

But that's the way it works in Belgium with the season not really starting until after new year when the play-off commence.
  • edited October 2017

Leuth said:

timken said:

3 defeats this season 2 against the bottom and second bottom sides.why?

we always do that. anyone else remember deano smashing one into his own net to let swindon beat us when we killed div 1 in 99/00?
    Lost 0-1 to a team that didn't have a shot on target. They may well have not even had a shot. The ball Deano knocked in was a cross.
    Off his elbow if I remember. Wasn't this the match where if we had won we would've broken a league record with 13 wins in a row?
    I don’t know if it would have been a record but it would have been thirteen wins on the bounce. The odds on an Addicks win were something like 4-1 on - seeing that was when I thought we’d lose.