Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2018 Thread

Comments

• Options

bobmunro said:

Peanuts, just out of interest, what’s your overall record since you started using your model?

A mansion in Kent
    A palace in Monaco
    And a chateau in France

3 Lamborghini
    2 Ferrari’s
    I think you might be confusing Peanuts with me!

I missed off your LA mansion and Caribbean island

Can’t find odds on the maxi vs Sam fight tonight are you guys covering it
    Yes - 1/3 Sam, 9/4 Maxi
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Maggio has an incredible chance today at 100/1? Won a 3m at Aintree back in 2016 as a 50/1 outsider by 12 lengths, now just 5lb higher, primed for the last 2 years but missed the cut/injury prevented, had a light campaign in preparation for this race but it's hard to forget the demolition job in 2016.

I'm one of @PeanutsMolloy 's most devoted disciples and follow him but this was one I chose all by myself as a speculative punt.

EDIT: The other two of 'mine' are Gas Line Boy and Shantou Flyer. Suggest avoiding all 3!
  • Options
    Thank you PM, hopefully one of your selections win today, as I've followed and backed them all too!

Great thread this
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Maggio has an incredible chance today at 100/1? Won a 3m at Aintree back in 2016 as a 50/1 outsider by 12 lengths, now just 5lb higher, primed for the last 2 years but missed the cut/injury prevented, had a light campaign in preparation for this race but it's hard to forget the demolition job in 2016.

I'm one of @PeanutsMolloy 's most devoted disciples and follow him but this was one I chose all by myself as a speculative punt.
    Much appreciate the devotion Len, though I seem to remember you going "off piste" before - adding Rule The World to your slip in 2016, .......you shrewdy :smile:
    Good luck.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Peanuts, just out of interest, what’s your overall record since you started using your model?

A mansion in Kent
    A palace in Monaco
    And a chateau in France

3 Lamborghini
    2 Ferrari’s
    I think you might be confusing Peanuts with me!

I missed off your LA mansion and Caribbean island

Can’t find odds on the maxi vs Sam fight tonight are you guys covering it
    Yes - 1/3 Sam, 9/4 Maxi
    Going to have a bit of that mate
  • Options
    Backed Houblon Des Obeaux at average odds of 115 to one with betfair 2 to 3 weeks ago thanks to Peanuts. £6.00 win only, should have backed each way really.
  • Options
    Hope th

Knew the miracle of Walk In The Mill getting in yesterday was too good to be true.

Fwiw gone with the following (in preference order)

Vieux Lion Rouge
    Ucello Conti
    Houblon Des Obeaux
    Milansbar

Hit crossbar last few days with Calino D'Airy and Bedrock both backed at massive prices going close. Hope for a turn in fortunes today.

On the rest of the card thought Identity Thief looked big price. Ran in Champion like he looked in need of going up in trip, and pedigree offers confidence too. 20/1+ is cheap play to find out, and at his best he'd laugh at this rabble.

Chanced Shantou Rock against Petit Mouchoir, likes tight tracks, ran Sceau Royal close last time and fav had savage race at Cheltenham.

Best of luck to all!

Finally got one over the line with Identity Thief
  • Options

Hope th

Knew the miracle of Walk In The Mill getting in yesterday was too good to be true.

Fwiw gone with the following (in preference order)

Vieux Lion Rouge
    Ucello Conti
    Houblon Des Obeaux
    Milansbar

Hit crossbar last few days with Calino D'Airy and Bedrock both backed at massive prices going close. Hope for a turn in fortunes today.

On the rest of the card thought Identity Thief looked big price. Ran in Champion like he looked in need of going up in trip, and pedigree offers confidence too. 20/1+ is cheap play to find out, and at his best he'd laugh at this rabble.

Chanced Shantou Rock against Petit Mouchoir, likes tight tracks, ran Sceau Royal close last time and fav had savage race at Cheltenham.

Best of luck to all!

Finally got one over the line with Identity Thief
    Tried to back it just before the off, with PP it was too late. FFS
  • Options
    Good luck everyone and all the jockeys and horses come home safe.
  • Options

Have done all each way,

Seeyouatmidnight 14/1
    I Just Know 18/1
    Baie Des Iles 18/1
    Raz De Maree 25/1
    Houblon Des Obeaux 33/1

Big thanks to Peanuts, Paddy, Polzeath and others for their tips/input. Certainly a learning experience while following and I might do well to jump on some of these selections earlier next year. :-)

Added Milansbar e/w last minute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just know started nicely then that :neutral:
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Milansbar 5th!

Photo for Tiger Roll and Pleasant Company 1st and 2nd.
  • Options
    Tiger Roll wins.
  • Options
    Tiger Roll won the virtual last night and wins the real thing tonight...
  • Options
    edited April 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/apr/13/compelling-grand-national-keeps-fragile-link-with-horses-alive-horse-racing

Excellent article (aside from the nonsense about "No algorithm will ever predict the National winner......." :wink: ).

Makes me wonder what your thoughts are on things like the "virtual" Grand National? Lots of people writing the idea off as a nonsense but I'm not sure if they set the criteria/conditions right. They must use some sort of algorithm type process to come up with their predicted results, just with a fancy looking graphic to show off at the end.
    Well their algorithm is better than mine !!
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/apr/13/compelling-grand-national-keeps-fragile-link-with-horses-alive-horse-racing

Excellent article (aside from the nonsense about "No algorithm will ever predict the National winner......." :wink: ).

Makes me wonder what your thoughts are on things like the "virtual" Grand National? Lots of people writing the idea off as a nonsense but I'm not sure if they set the criteria/conditions right. They must use some sort of algorithm type process to come up with their predicted results, just with a fancy looking graphic to show off at the end.
    Blind luck. You've had sustained success over a longer period than them. :-)
  • Options
    That's not nice to watch. You have to be pretty tapped to have enjoyed that.

I bet this year, but never again.
  • Options
    Is there a question regarding the fence that the runners were waved by the jockey?
  • Options
    Bless The Wings & Anibale Fly in a photo for 3rd and 4th.
  • Options
    You win some, you lose some. Thanks to @PeanutsMolloy and everyone else who has made this such a great thread and congratulations to those who backed the winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Unlucky mate.

My youngest picked the winner. He's not much up on algorithms. He does like tigers though!
  • Options
    1st Tiger Roll
    2nd Pleasant Company
    3rd Bless The Wings
    4th Anibale Fly
    5th Milansbar
    6th Road To Riches
  • Options

Is there a question regarding the fence that the runners were waved by the jockey?

Was a big green screen up - not sure which horse was behind it
  • Options
    Oakster said:

From the jockey waving it was I Just Know
  • Options
    PM - you were right about Seeyouatmidnight being a run short. Also, can't help thinking that if connections hadn't run Bless The Wings in the IN he might have won.
  • Options

Oakster said:

From the jockey waving it was I Just Know
    Clearly common sense prevailed in that respect.
  • Options
    My mrs had

Tiger Roll
    And my eldest and daughter had pleasant company
    I had aniable fly and Milansbar

mr big shot came in for me in first race

So not complaining here at the king power especially with maxi at 9/4
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Oh well Peanuts, guess we were due an off year. Thanks to the Missus doing her annual clairvoyant act and picking the winner on the back of liking the name (seriously, she's picked the winner 4 years running) we wiped our face and broke even. I can live with that as I only bet on it for a bit of fun and won't gamble agin until the next National.

Cheers as always Peanuts for sharing your passion with us.
  • Options
    Seemed a lot of fallers this year, were there more than usual or just my imagination?